Maasdam now

Stakeout

onboard.. heard from the lil' birdie--actually from 3 lil' birdies ( don't ask).. Maasdam up for sale with potential buyers onboard a few weeks back while in New England.. there only stipulation--sale within 18 months.. we shall see...

onboard.. heard from the lil' birdie--actually from 3 lil' birdies ( don't ask).. Maasdam up for sale with potential buyers onboard a few weeks back while in New England.. there only stipulation--sale within 18 months.. we shall see...

I got an email this morning from a friend who is onboard now. She said the same thing.

I've heard this too but not the 18 month stipulation. It's why HAL itineraries aren't out sooner, so I could work.

HAL really wants to get rid of her and Veendam.

Maasdam is a good ship, worth buying. Veendam is going to be hard to unload with that stupid aft bathtub area. IMO, taking out the aft pool really lowered Veendam's value.

Like most other lovers of the S class ships, I too dislike (abhor, actually) what they did to the aft decks. But when folks ask why they are keeping it longer and disposing of its fleet-mates first, perhaps what they fail to realize is that (1) it's the youngest, and (2) and perhaps important, everything else being equal it's probably has a lower break-even point due to the extra cabins, assuming they can be filled at reasonable rates.

That the S class in recent years have been only marginally profitable if that is almost certainly the driver behind keeping Veendam the longest. Certainly no secret that Maasdam has been for sale for quite some time, should the "right" deal come along.

Edited by Dave in NJ

No secret she and Veendam are both for sale.

Thanks for the 'birdie' message prospective buyers were aboard recently.

I will be very sad when Maasdam leaves the fleet. So very many great memories of incredibly good times aboard. I have always loved her crew(s).

Like most other lovers of the S class ships, I too dislike (abhor, actually) what they did to the aft decks. But when folks ask why they are keeping it longer and disposing of its fleet-mates first, perhaps what they fail to realize is that (1) it's the youngest, and (2) and perhaps important, everything else being equal it's probably has a lower break-even point due to the extra cabins, assuming they can be filled at reasonable rates.

That the S class in recent years have been only marginally profitable if that is almost certainly the driver behind keeping Veendam the longest. Certainly no secret that Maasdam has been for sale for quite some time, should the "right" deal come along.

Maasdam's Aft Pool still exists in her beautiful, original design. She, Ryndam and Statendam were spared the destruction of aft Navigation Deck.

Only Rotterdam and Veendam were the unlucky ships to have lost their pretty pool area.

I don't think HAL has any plan to keep Veendam the longest. I think it more likely she is the hardest to sell.

Edited by sail7seas

Your ship has sailed already!! :D (Of course, I know you mean 2016.)

Sometimes a ship is sold but remains in the fleet for a little while. It isn't always an immediate handover. Obviously, if the ship has left the fleet, your Maasdam cruise would cancel but you would be offered alternatives. Don't get too nervous. Odds are likely in your favor as the months are ticking off until July.

So which ship will be able to dock downtown in Bermuda? I'd hate to see HAL discontinue that trip again but have no interest in going unless usual dock is still possible. :( We do like the smaller ships for certain trips and will be sorry to see them phased out of the fleet.

So which ship will be able to dock downtown in Bermuda? I'd hate to see HAL discontinue that trip again but have no interest in going unless usual dock is still possible. :( We do like the smaller ships for certain trips and will be sorry to see them phased out of the fleet.

None other than the current Prinsendam. And, I doubt that HAL would use her for such an itinerary.

Veendam has been docking in downtown Hamilton. I have not looked to see if she is scheduled to do so next summer.

I sailed NCL Dawn to Bermuda this summer and would not hesitate to dock again at the Dockyard. Sure, downtown Hamilton is more convenient but if the choice was to go or not go because of the Dockyard, I didn't mind it enough to give up the cruise if I wanted to sail to Bermuda.

Edited by sail7seas

so what is the likelihood of the Volendam, Zaandam and Rotterdam staying in the HAL fleet?

I would hate for all the smaller ships to be sold.

Carol

R class would be the next most likely to go... but I don't think the plans are seemingly as "immediate" as they are with the S class (now half gone)

I know there are some different ship specs at play between S and R class but I would imagine R class could get to Bermuda and dredging would be relatively minimal to allow for any extra width/depth that it may require.

Whether that would be done by Bermuda, HAL, a combination or not allowed could remain to be seen though

so what is the likelihood of the Volendam, Zaandam and Rotterdam staying in the HAL fleet?

I would hate for all the smaller ships to be sold.

Carol

You left out the Amsterdam in your question.

In my humble and uninformed opinion, the vessels you mentioned are doing well to OK in their markets. All seemed to be well established in the markets that they serve. They seem to be "well-liked" by their guests. What their contribution to the "bottom line" is, I do not know.

Only the Amsterdam, as far as I can determine, has had "issues" of filling the vessel for her Grand Voyages, i.e. the change from the past Grand Asia Pacific voyages to the current Tales of the South Pacific. I am of the impression that the full booking of the Grand World Cruise has disappointed since 2009.

As to your smaller ship concern, it is the Prinsendam that is at the greatest risk of being retired/sold/whatever. And, when that day comes, as it will, what type of HAL vessel will replace her?

It's a shame...we hated to see Ryndam leave the fleet. And now Maasdam?

Not a fan of Veendam. Not only was the aft hot tub brainstorm a disaster, but when we were on her in may to Bermuda. There was a huge a m out of tile missing from the surround. It looked horrible.

The replaced the Volendam with the Masadam for the late 2016 circumnavigation of Australia, if they sell the Masadam will they still do that itinerary or will we only be left with one HAL ship in the region doing mostly New Zealand with the occasional foray to the South Pacific. The whole point of the smaller ships are they go into less developed Ports.

Oh well I will enjoy my cruises on the Eden (Statendam), and while the latest photos show a great refurb, the bones are still a HAL ship :cool: And as us ladies know, good bones are everything :D