Labadee: No tip, no chairs

I was debating posting this for fear of potential flames, but here goes.

When we got to Labadee with our 3 kids, nature called for the little guy, so my husband took him in search of a washroom. I continued walking to the beach with the other 2 kids, all the towels, the sand toys, the beach bag with sunscreen and other beach items etc. When we got to the beach, one of the staff asked if we wanted chairs. As my husband had the cash, I was upfront and told the man I had no money for a tip. He replied "No tip, no chair, you can get your own" and walked away. So we did. I had no problem unstacking and carrying the chairs to a location on the beach, but I wonder whether this is something Royal Caribbean is aware of and endorses (ie - only assist guests who tip, others are left to fend for themselves) or whether this guy went rogue?

We were just there a week ago on Sunday. I tipped $1 per chair and it looked like that's what others near me were doing also. All they do is lift it off the stack and place it 5 feet away.

I am a big tipper -- I give a very good tip for very good service. Your senerio was no service and a lot of attitude. No tip and a complaint to RCI would be in order.

I was a bit mortified, to tell you the truth. I wouldn't complain to RCI, though, as this guy has it much worse off than I do. I certainly would not want to be responsible for him losing his job, but on the other hand, does Royal Caribbean really want guys like this representing their brand?

I had no problem unstacking and carrying the chairs to a location on the beach, but I wonder whether this is something Royal Caribbean is aware of and endorses (ie - only assist guests who tip, others are left to fend for themselves) or whether this guy went rogue?

That sucks. You got a bad one there. Maybe you could have told him you're husband would take care of him when he arrived. I doubt Royal would endorse this behavior and doubt they are aware of it.

Wait, the chairs and umbrellas aren't set out and waiting for you?? Wow.

(My Caribbean/Bahamas experience is with Disney where Castaway Cay is flawlessly set with two chairs and two loungers per umbrella already set up nicely for you when you disembark. That's why it's shocking to me that they're not already done on the cruiseline's private island/beach area.)

Yes rci knows, there are natives all over the compound that work for tips. We have always gotten our own chair, but if we have them get a drink, we tip. They have even been in the bathroom getting a towel, turn the water on, etc.. SOP

Edited by setsail

(My Caribbean/Bahamas experience is with Disney where Castaway Cay is flawlessly set with two chairs and two loungers per umbrella already set up nicely for you when you disembark. That's why it's shocking to me that they're not already done on the cruiseline's private island/beach area.)

Haven't been there have you

I was just there a couple weeks ago and chairs were all over available for the taking. I would lay on one chair for awhile and then walk around and go to another chair. I never tipped anyone nor had anyone get me a chair. However, I was over on the side where the zip line is and not on the "beach" side.

When we got to Labadee with our 3 kids, nature called for the little guy, so my husband took him in search of a washroom. I continued walking to the beach with the other 2 kids, all the towels, the sand toys, the beach bag with sunscreen and other beach items etc. When we got to the beach, one of the staff asked if we wanted chairs. As my husband had the cash, I was upfront and told the man I had no money for a tip. He replied "No tip, no chair, you can get your own" and walked away. So we did. I had no problem unstacking and carrying the chairs to a location on the beach, but I wonder whether this is something Royal Caribbean is aware of and endorses (ie - only assist guests who tip, others are left to fend for themselves) or whether this guy went rogue?

I don't think Royal Caribbean is aware of or endorses that ( no tip, no chair) but I would have handled it differently. I would not have told the beach attendant upfront that I didn't have the money on me. After the chairs were set out I would indicate to him that spouse with cash would return shortly.

Edited by Charles4515

To Disney's Castaway Cay? Yes. I absolutely LOVE Castaway Cay - especially Serenity Bay, the section reserved for guests 18+.

To anything of Royal's? No.

As I said, I've never done the Caribbean or Bahamas on anything but Disney. That's why I was ASKING.

Labadee they do not have the chairs set out. That is atypical of the private islands. Probably the only one like that. The others I have been to the chairs have been set out. Princess, HAL, NCL. Have not been to Coco Cay, the other Royal private island but I would guess the chairs are set out like the other ones in the Bahamas.

Edited by Charles4515

I heard of this several times and even experienced it once. RCI knows this happens sometimes but I think their commitment to the local community and their employment of them is more important to them than a few passenger complaints. I think they turn a blind eye.

On RCI's Coco Cay, the charts are already set up. Lababee is different than most private islands. It's huge and there are more beaches than other private islands, so the chairs are set up depending on where guests go.

I have to say I really appreciate the OP's attitude. You were upfront, honest, you just wanted to genuinely express dissatisfaction at the service you experienced, and despite the bad service you weren't necessarily calling for the guy to get fired. I highly recommend calling RCI and telling them this exactly as you reported it here. I'm sure they actually would want to know if their vendors were acting this way towards their customers.

I'm not really surprised. This person also has to stack them all back up at the end of the day when everyone has gone back to the ship. He may also have other duties that allow him to be there.

I don't know for a fact, but I would guess that most, if not all of his compensation comes from tipping.

It was not at all polite, but I also don't know how it is spelled out or if he is required to get a lounge for anyone even without compensation. I think tipping is probably optional, but this person may not see it that way.

I would probably just let it go. :)

Yes rci knows, there are natives all over the compound that work for tips. We have always gotten our own chair, but if we have them get a drink, we tip. They have even been in the bathroom getting a towel, turn the water on, etc.. SOP

I don't tip every time I use the restroom where there is an attendant, but I do leave $1 just before I go back on the ship.

Edited by mek

this was my thought exactly. i'm so glad I read this thread because I would never have thought to tip for this (unless I saw some others do it). as you stated, its already on castaway cay and there is no need to tip for a chair. also, tipping in the bathroom on the island? really? its a beach bathroom, again I would never have thought to do this.

moral of the story for me is to remember to take cash off the boat with me.