Live from the Anthem thanksgiving cruise: So far so bad

Cruisebaza

See, to me OP's post didn't seem "uptight". OP posted some legit concerns and the last line of the post was "On the plus side, it can only go up from here". To me that shows some optimism and that they aren't going to let it get to their whole vacation.

I keep seeing posts referring to "first world problems"...I get we should all be thankful and that we could all have it way worse, but it doesn't mean we also need to keep our mouth's closed when we receive sub-par service that we paid for. Hopefully RCI pays attention.

Post of the day!

To point out that any less than positive comment on this board is a first world problem is as obvious as saying all the ships get wet on the bottom. If this was a message board about an ebola virus outbreak in West Africa then I could see you pointing out this is a first world problem but this is a message aboard about vacations for people with disposable income.

Makes sense, I bet our cabin was in a dead zone. Oh well -- I don't spend a lot of time on the internet while on vacation.

Nor do I. Typically, we are totally unplugged, but on this trip I needed to be available to my office. Fortunately, they didn't need me much. :)

It is a rubber/silicone/whatever bracelet that is encoded with the same information as your SeaPass card, and it can perform most of the functions of your SeaPass Card.

Do all ships have them? Or just the big dogs?

Are they different colors? Ie blue for regular cabins? Silver for JS, Gold for GS? If so I can see people paying the $5 to compete lol

We got off Anthem today and found the WiFi to be spotty for the entirety of our cruise, both in cabin and around the ship. When it worked it was nice, but it wasn't always working. We decided that VOOM should be renamed MAYBE -- maybe it'll work, maybe it won't! RCI, get on that new marketing. ;)

Seems that the WiFi issues are contagious if they're now affecting the cruise terminal. I must say our check in for the November 10 cruise, once we got past a 20 minute wait driving up to the pier, was simply flawless and definitely our fastest check in ever.

Also just got off Anthem and we had absolutely NO internet connection in our cabin and only spotty connection from the balcony (cabin #9250 which, by the way, was a fantastic location with a larger hump balcony). They did give me a refund for a portion of my internet package but I would rather have just been able to access the internet from my cabin! :( It was a great cruise though, and I'd sail again in a heartbeat.

Awful experience so far. Huge line driving up to check in luggage. Huge line to check in within the terminal, apparently due to WiFi issues. My key wasn't there. Long lines for everything. Muster drill started 45 minutes late. But it's a beautiful ship. :) Internet and Royal iq not working well at all. And now they are charging for the wow bracelet.

On the plus side, it can only get better, right?

I highly doubt it....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Awful experience so far. Huge line driving up to check in luggage. Huge line to check in within the terminal, apparently due to WiFi issues. My key wasn't there. Long lines for everything. Muster drill started 45 minutes late. But it's a beautiful ship. :) Internet and Royal iq not working well at all. And now they are charging for the wow bracelet.

Say what you feel,forget the Royal cheerleaders.:)

Oh how AWFUL!!!!.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

You pay for the bands? We were on Antmem in Europe this past June and the bands were in our room when we arrived.

Never used them but didn't pay for them, surprising. :confused:

We were in a balcony cabin only.

So I assume these are similar to the Disney Magic bands or whatever they are called? It makes sense to me to charge a little for them if many people don't care to use them. They cost the cruise line money and if many of them are going unused, why should they provide them for free. I would definitely want to have them for times when we go swimming or to the slides. That way we can just leave the card in the room and not worry about keeping track of the card. Or maybe I am missing something. Oh well, I guess I don't have to worry about it since it doesn't sound like they will be on the Liberty.

For Royal to charge extra for a chintzy band, after you've paid thousands for the cruise, is just ridiculous.

The bean counters at Royal have blew it on this one.:(

I have one from the Quantum but I sure wouldn't pay extra for one. Kind of a nuisance to use, imo.

For Royal to charge extra for a chintzy band, after you've paid thousands for the cruise, is just ridiculous.

The bean counters at Royal have blew it on this one.:(

I have one from the Quantum but I sure wouldn't pay extra for one. Kind of a nuisance to use, imo.

Then don't:D I wouldn't either. In fact I wouldn't wear one if they were free :) I'm actually glad they are charging for them, probably means it's less likely they'll ever become mandatory....

Edited by bouhunter

Just got off the same cruise. 4 of us shared a sign-on, and we had no problems at all. Great speed in virtually all areas of the ship, including our cabins. We used an iPad, Galaxy Tab and Android phones. Never a problem.

--------

So did you prepay or wait til you got on to sign up for the internet package? Just hubby and I and we only have cell phones to use. So when you say you shared a sign on, does that mean you only paid for one device, then only one could sign on at a time?

How and where was the muster drill?I haven't cruised in 5 years' date=' and I have heard they don't corral you like a heard of cows outside anymore with your life vest on - true?[/quote']

Correct, muster drills on Anthem are in the various large lounges / restaurants around the ship. All indoor and no need to wear life jackets like in the bad ol' days. ;)

Correct, muster drills on Anthem are in the various large lounges / restaurants around the ship. All indoor and no need to wear life jackets like in the bad ol' days. ;)

Thanks - do they still make you use the steps to get to muster location? We are on deck 7 and hubby has bad knees....

So did you prepay or wait til you got on to sign up for the internet package? Just hubby and I and we only have cell phones to use. So when you say you shared a sign on' date=' does that mean you only paid for one device, then only one could sign on at a time?[/quote']

My DW and I are Diamond, so we used our 2 free 24 hour coupons. Since we didn't sign on until the next morning, and then we spread it out a bit, we then only had to pay for the final 8 nights. And for that, we used my sisters Emerald 15% off coupon.

So overall, it was a good deal.

-----------------

Yes, but if you need to use an elevator due to physical issues just tell the staff.

Sorry for the technical questions - but do they make everyone go to their rooms to wait for the alarm? I was thinking as long as we know in advance where our drill location will be, we can make our way down (near) there early.

So did you prepay or wait til you got on to sign up for the internet package? Just hubby and I and we only have cell phones to use. So when you say you shared a sign on' date=' does that mean you only paid for one device, then only one could sign on at a time?[/quote']

It is one device at a time, unlimited how many different devices. So if you don't need to log on at the same time only pay for single device and take turns.

Sorry for the technical questions - but do they make everyone go to their rooms to wait for the alarm? I was thinking as long as we know in advance where our drill location will be' date=' we can make our way down (near) there early.[/quote']

No need to go back to your room to wait on the official alarm sound. Your muster station will be on the back of your cabin door. If you are able to get to the general area ahead of time that will definitely work.