Freedom or Allure

BUSYGIRL

I understand that size is one big difference, what is the other? Our only RCL cruises have been on Oasis and I am back to schedule another. Any advice on choosing between Freedom or Allure. The cruise is for myself and my 11 yo DD.

I understand that size is one big difference, what is the other? Our only RCL cruises have been on Oasis and I am back to schedule another. Any advice on choosing between Freedom or Allure. The cruise is for myself and my 11 yo DD.

If you were happy with Oasis, and the itinerary and price is similar between Freedom and Allure, then I'd go with Allure.

I havere done both.

One big differences is that on the Oasis class ships there is no public lounge that offers sea views. Other than that is the vary obvious differences in regards to Central Park, Boardwalk, zip line, shows, and a few differences in the existence of several specialty restaurants.

Having sailed both, Freedom and Allure.............................ALLURE!

So much to do and so little time.

She is an amazing ship.

I might be one of the few, but another comparison is----- after sailing the Oasis and Allure we enjoyed the Allure more..................seemed a friendlier ship????

Dont know why but did.

Enjoy

Edited by Lionesss

I feel it's sort of comparing apples to oranges, sorry for the cheesy expression. Though, Allure/Oasis have many more features (distinct neighborhoods, zipline, water shows, to name a few), and are much bigger.

Freedom class ships are still large, but not massive like the previous 2 mentioned, and there is still plenty to do. I believe Freedom was formerly the largest cruise ship until a few years ago.

I have not been on Allure or Oasis, but on Independence, and about to board Freedom this weekend. I have heard from friends that they felt the Oasis class ships were too large, and you don't get to run into familiar faces, and hardly have time to do everything they have to offer, while the Freedom class is the best size. You will see familiar faces, and be able to do mostly everything, to not feel you are missing out.

Cheers!

Allure is my choice.

We sailed on the Freedom last year, but our Allure cruise is next week.

All I can say is the Freedom is a beautiful ship and has plenty to do. I know I will miss the wonderful ocean views from the various public venues when I am on the Allure. To me, that's a big part of being on a cruise ship.

The port you sail from can make a difference as well. Personally, I'd rather avoid Port Canaveral if I can. Although, spending some time in Cocoa Beach or the option to hit WDW or Universal is a nice option. I'd still rather save the money spent on transportation from Orlando to the port.

I have sailed on Liberty (Freedom Class) and Allure. My choice is Freedom class. But mostly because the body count was lower on Freedom ships. Both are great. Will not be disappointed with either ship

Done both, prefer Freedom in particular but Freedom class in general.

Allure just felt like a giant floating hotel/shopping mall, it was nice, we had a good time but the presence of the ocean was completely optional.

None of the public spaces except for Boardwalk and top deck have water views, there is no sense of motion, etc.

Allure definitely wasn't bad, but I would certainly not pay a premium for it and would take Freedom at even money.

I've done both twice. To me the biggest difference, if you are looking at the western itinerary is Freedom offers one more port - Grand Caymen. (at least at is present home in Port Canaveral) We have done Allure twice on the Eastern and Freedom twice on the Western. I'd do either again in a minute.

Completely agree! Couldn't have put it any better!!! Allure doesn't feel like a ship. More like a shopping mall. Freedom is large enough for the big ship feel but with more ocean views. Freedom ...best of both worlds. Even after watching Taylor Swift on Allure......go with Freedom!

Edited by RAYSWIN

Having been on both ships, I prefer the Freedom. The Oasis is too large for me, way too many people, it felt crowded especially in the public areas and on Dancing in the Streets night, you couldn't move, it was people to people. There were never any seats at the free restaurants like the pizza parlor.

Also, you don't have to prebook your entertainment on Freedom. We spent one evening on the Oasis going from one entertainment venue to another because even though you have a reservation, you HAVE to be there when the doors open; after a certain time, they open it up to those who don't have a reservation. I was worn out just getting from place to place!

The entertainment on both ships is very good, though and is very professionally done and different from your typical cruise ship entertainment.

Having been on both ships, I prefer the Freedom. The Oasis is too large for me, way too many people, it felt crowded especially in the public areas and on Dancing in the Streets night, you couldn't move, it was people to people. There were never any seats at the free restaurants like the pizza parlor.

Also, you don't have to prebook your entertainment on Freedom. We spent one evening on the Oasis going from one entertainment venue to another because even though you have a reservation, you HAVE to be there when the doors open; after a certain time, they open it up to those who don't have a reservation. I was worn out just getting from place to place!

The entertainment on both ships is very good, though and is very professionally done and different from your typical cruise ship entertainment.

Agree with this and will add more... We've done Freedom class 3 times and Oasis class once. My (hopefully) short summary of the differences:

If you want to be wowed by a SHIP, the Oasis class is it. Massive promenade, Central Park, Boardwalk... LOTS to walk around and see. However we felt like we could never get away from people on the Oasis. We love people, but sometimes you just want some seclusion, and a somewhat private stroll. Just couldn't find it on the Oasis. The promenade, even late at night (like midnight+), was full ...with a surprising amount of under teen kids. On all the Freedom class ships, after midnight the promenade is calm with a light amount of people.

I felt disconnected from the ocean on the Oasis. It was a challenge to find good views of the seas. On the Freedom class, you have views all over. ...and like others said, it really does feel like a floating shopping mall compared to the Freedom class.

I did like the clubs on the Oasis a little better than on the Freedom or Independence, but not enough to sway me back to the Oasis class. For us, the Freedom class is fantastic and we prefer it over the Oasis.

Food was comparable on both. Rooms similar. Entertainment is about equal, except you do get basically a full length Broadway show on the Oasis and Allure. Funny thing is, I don't want to sit through that long of a show when we're out at sea.(and we love the shows) Too much other fun stuff to do.

We're trying the next size down in April, on the Navigator, but it's VERY similar to the Freedom class.

I think it would be worth your while to try the Freedom Class, that way you have a good comparison. Hope this helps.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

• 1 month later...

We love the Oasis class, but I always review Freedom's itinerary and sailing dates because I love Grand Cayman. We were completely happy with our sailing on FOS.

My husband and I have discussed several times and we love the size of the Oasis class. The ship has 6,000 people on it so at times, such as disco night, it is extremely crowded, but we have always found folks to be playful, happy and nice. We spend about 5-6 hrs on deck near the pools and prefer Oasis class for this. We weren't fond of the walkers/jogger going around us on the track as we laying out or us having to walk around chairs on the upper deck as we were on the walking track. However, we did find it peaceful at the back of the ship on Freedom....back near the wave runner. Nice breeze back there and beautiful view off the back of the ship.

Yes, Oasis class offers way more than we would ever use. We don't do specialty restaurants either. We love the aqua theater and the boardwalk. It's truly a WOW experience each time for us. Freedom class is in no way 2nd fiddle. She is beautiful and has much to offer to both you and your daughter.

Enjoy and happy sailing!