Indian Food

Martini Mom

The many bowls its served in makes it perfect for that,my husband and I shared it when I ordered it.

From Memory there was raita (Yoghurt dip), indian spiced onions, Lime pickle, Tarka Dhal (curried lentils), Paneer (cottage cheese) and pea curry and a mild spinach style curry with other veggies although the last 3 items seem to vary.

I found a picture:

Carnival_Cruise_Indian_Vegetarian_Food_Day_3.jpg

Perfect! Thanks for the pic :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I found a picture:

Carnival_Cruise_Indian_Vegetarian_Food_Day_3.jpg

I take the three bowls off their plate and place them around the 'rice plate'. Makes more room on the table, especially the two tops. We usually do ATD, by the second night with the same waitstaff they have me figured out, lol

One night the rice isn't the plain rice, it looks like rice 'pudding'. On that night I'll ask for a bowl of plain steamed rice.

Edited by SadieN

I am unaware of whether any of the other cruise lines have south-east Asian food and consider it a real plus for Carnival .

When I've ordered it , the selection was similar to the pictures above which is to say three small vegetarian dishes plus

condiments and a thin cracker named Papadum plus rice . I've never seen or been offered any meat dishes .

That would make a good thing even better . Personally I find it a little too mild for my tastes and will often add the available hot sauce .

Edited to ask why is this page so wide ?

Edited by richstowe

The thing that bothers me about Indian food is that everything taste like pepper or curry. I wish they would offer Mediterranean food other than Indian. I love the rice dishes, Stews, and other dishes of the Persian people. They have numerous flavors to their food other than pepper or curry.

The thing that bothers me about Indian food is that everything taste like pepper or curry. I wish they would offer Mediterranean food other than Indian. I love the rice dishes, Stews, and other dishes of the Persian people. They have numerous flavors to their food other than pepper or curry.

There is falafel on the menu one night. Its not called falafel but something like 'chick pea biscuit'.

Seriously ? :eek: I'd have no idea what a 'chick pea biscuit' is . I not sure if that's funny or insulting .

I couldn't figure it out either. Sis had to translate it for me. It was actually pretty decent. Not the best but certainly not the worst I've ever had.

I second or third the recommendation that you try a local indian buffet as by many American standards, it can be an "acquired" taste - but once acquired, watch out! The flavors are deep and rich as a general rule, and like china, very from region to region. The difference between eating at home and on a cruise is at home, you control the spice at home and on the cruise you get it as it comes. I tend to order my indian food either mild or medium depending on the restaurant (I don't like to sweat from what I eat!) and find that on the cruise, you will have one or two milder dishes and on that would be much better defined as medium. You will find lots of lentils, chickpeas, spinach and cheese for example in the vegetarian, in addition to more traditional american veggies like beans, cauliflower, and potatoes.

It's been my fall back for several cruises now - if nothing on the menu strikes my fancy, there is always indian!

Indian Food is NOT Mediterranean food. Neither is Persian food. Not all Indian food is pepper and curry. Tandoor prepared dishes aren't. Most curry dishes refer to dishes in sauce. Not all sauces have leaves of the curry tree in them. Most curry powder is a combination of a variety of spices like coriander, cumin, turmeric, etc., which you will find used in many cultures.

I will say one thing about Carnival's Indian veggie MDR meal, it's filling! And it's much better than the couple of overpriced Indian/Pakistani places we have here. But the Tandoori Grill option available on some ships is a great way to try a variety of dishes. I don't think they have a true tandoor on the ships and thus the naan is off the flat grill and not as good as out of a tandoor. Plus it tends to get hard and chewy the longer it sits under the heating lamps.

Indian Food is NOT Mediterranean food. Neither is Persian food. Not all Indian food is pepper and curry. Tandoor prepared dishes aren't. Most curry dishes refer to dishes in sauce. Not all sauces have leaves of the curry tree in them. Most curry powder is a combination of a variety of spices like coriander, cumin, turmeric, etc., which you will find used in many cultures.

I will say one thing about Carnival's Indian veggie MDR meal, it's filling! And it's much better than the couple of overpriced Indian/Pakistani places we have here. But the Tandoori Grill option available on some ships is a great way to try a variety of dishes. I don't think they have a true tandoor on the ships and thus the naan is off the flat grill and not as good as out of a tandoor. Plus it tends to get hard and chewy the longer it sits under the heating lamps.

The Splendor cooks it's naan on the inside side of tandoor. Issue is the heat source. The few times we sailed on the Splendor the naan barely touched the serving pan before it was taken. The chef could hardly keep up.

The pineapple chutney is excellent over the soft serve.

Edited by SadieN

If thats all you have tasted then maybe you havent tasted enough or been to good places. As someone said Indian food is not from the Med but North African food has varying similarities as well as Middle eastern countries such as Turkey. In my opinion the offerings in these countries actually surpasses Indian food and I love a curry!

Celebrity (at least Solstice class) have indian food each day as well as us finding an 'indian breakfast station' each morning with rice, raita,puri (fried puffed flatbread) and veggie curries on our cruise. I know the ship was full of curry loving Brits but most of us do not eat curry for breakfast (although very common to do so in the East) but I tucked in as it was a healthier breakfast option and delicious....and always empty.

BTW its my fault the page is wide I accidentally posted a large image! :D

I've never tried it. The Tandoor Grill was Lido Deck starboard aft on the Triumph (if I remember correctly.) I would make a point of walking on the port side to avoid the smell. When I hung out at that pool, I always looked for a chaise on the port side to stay away from the smell. I don't know what it was, but once (when the grill was closed) they had a big tray of what appeared to be some kind of seasoning (green) with a horrible strong smell that I think was the source.

It must have been cilantro. REALLY? On the other hand, I make a point of walking ON the port side to avoid the smell of cigarettes.

We loved the Tandoor on the breeze last year, was our go to lunch hit.

booked Magic this year, not simply because of Tandoor, but it didn't hurt.

I noticed Tandoor was never mentioned in the fun times on any day of our 8 day Breeze cruise, not anywhere that I could find.

given how many of the officers and crew ate there it seems like they want to keep it as their little secret. ;)

don't blame them.

I tend to order my indian food either mild or medium depending on the restaurant (I don't like to sweat from what I eat!) and find that on the cruise, you will have one or two milder dishes and on that would be much better defined as medium. !

Are we the only people who find after eating Indian food that our bodies smell odd the next day? :confused:

That is funny. We love asparagus and all laugh at the after effects.

The first time it happened to me--I got in one of those phases as you do sometimes, getting hooked on a certain meal, started eating a lot of salmon and asparagus--I thought there was something seriously *wrong* with me, like, medically. :)

• 1 month later...
We loved the Tandoor on the breeze last year, was our go to lunch hit.

booked Magic this year, not simply because of Tandoor, but it didn't hurt.

I noticed Tandoor was never mentioned in the fun times on any day of our 8 day Breeze cruise, not anywhere that I could find.

given how many of the officers and crew ate there it seems like they want to keep it as their little secret. ;)

don't blame them.

I loved it on the Breeze, too bad it is not going to be on the Vista.

I enjoyed the Indian food on Victory, some of it was hit or miss but overall it was good. I became a vegetarian several months ago so this is a welcomed item to the menu. The stuffed pepper was one of my favorites from my cruise on the Ecstasy in June, but it was missing from the Victory in November.

You can also preorder the night before an Indian meat meal. Did this on the Miracle. It's the same set up as the Indian Vegetarian but one of the entrees is substituted out for meat. One night it was chicken, another it was a fish. The hostesses have the info.

This is great news - I wasn't aware of this. Thanks.

I found a sample non-vegetarian menu on a different site that listed what was available by day. If you want what's being served on Day 1, and you have to pre-order, how do yo do it? Should i email the maître d' in advance?

Thanks!

This is great news - I wasn't aware of this. Thanks.

I found a sample non-vegetarian menu on a different site that listed what was available by day. If you want what's being served on Day 1, and you have to pre-order, how do yo do it? Should i email the maître d' in advance?

Thanks!

See the MD when you get onboard. We do this for our allergy meals.