Confusion - Length of Excursion Longer Than Time in Port (Chichen Itza/Cozumel)

JenP

I am getting a head start on planning a cruise on FOTS out of FLL next Thanksgiving that includes a stop in Cozumel. The ship-sponsored shore excursions are already - oddly enough - available for purchase in the cruise planner. A tour to Chichen Itza is featured in the listing. It begins at 10:30 AM and the listing indicates it is 10 hours and 15 minutes long.

Slight problem, though. We're in port from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM. How can they legitimately offer this excursion? Is the tour length an error (for those who might have taken it) or might it be that the tour should have never been offered for this particular cruise?

I realize that the travel time for this excursion tour is quite long, but I am a huge Mexican history nerd and the ruins are a selling point for me. I've already seen Tulum, and Chichen Itza wasn't offered on my last cruise (different line) that included Cozumel.

I am getting a head start on planning a cruise on FOTS out of FLL next Thanksgiving that includes a stop in Cozumel. The ship-sponsored shore excursions are already - oddly enough - available for purchase in the cruise planner. A tour to Chichen Itza is featured in the listing. It begins at 10:30 AM and the listing indicates it is 10 hours and 15 minutes long.

Slight problem, though. We're in port from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM. How can they legitimately offer this excursion? Is the tour length an error (for those who might have taken it) or might it be that the tour should have never been offered for this particular cruise?

I realize that the travel time for this excursion tour is quite long, but I am a huge Mexican history nerd and the ruins are a selling point for me. I've already seen Tulum, and Chichen Itza wasn't offered on my last cruise (different line) that included Cozumel.

I did this tour. I don't remember the exact times, but doing it with the cruise ship will insure that you won't miss the ship. Most tour times are overstated to allow for shopping etc. So if it is offered it will be fine.

I had the same question before booking this excursion on a cruise last year. I did take the excursion and they do get you back before onboard time. If I remember correctly, we were back at least 30 minutes before that time. I only wish we had more time to wander around on our own after the guided tour. Regardless, it was a great excursion and I would do it again.

This tour is probably better done from Costa Maya or another port actually on the mainland. You're going to have 30-45 minutes EACH WAY taking a ferry to the mainland. A 7-8 hour excursion and you might only get 60 minutes at the ruins. However this is one of those that, if you're going to do, make sure you do it through the ship, otherwise you have a decent chance of being left behind.

This tour is probably better done from Costa Maya or another port actually on the mainland. You're going to have 30-45 minutes EACH WAY taking a ferry to the mainland. A 7-8 hour excursion and you might only get 60 minutes at the ruins. However this is one of those that, if you're going to do, make sure you do it through the ship, otherwise you have a decent chance of being left behind.

I've also read that the ferry ride can be rough and has a tendency to make many passengers seasick.

Edited by clarea

Did this with Allure, you will spend only 1.5-2 hours in the ruins.. road trip is long both ways.. and a 45 min ferry ride each way... waters are extremely rough... be sure to seat in the middle of the ferry so it will rock less, I made a mistake of sitting at the side.. and wow..imagine at the end of pendulum swing.. crazy galleon thing....

Thanks everyone. I experienced that lovely ferry when I went to Cozumel on my last cruise and took the Tulum excursion. I didn't have any issues, but saw many who did.

I'll keep the issues with time restrictions in mind.

We are going to Costa Maya as well on this cruise, and I plan to do the Kohunlich & Dzbanche Mayan Ruins Combo excursion there. I just have to decide if it's worth it to do Chichen Itza given the timing issues when I am in Cozumel.

I did this tour. I don't remember the exact times, but doing it with the cruise ship will insure that you won't miss the ship. Most tour times are overstated to allow for shopping etc. So if it is offered it will be fine.

Very much agree with the above! If it's offered through the ship, you'll be fine. :)

LuLu

I've also read that the ferry ride can be rough and has a tendency to make many passengers seasick.

Oh, that ferry ride is a killer.

Did it in May during our stop in Cozumel - very rocky and the cabin was pretty stuffy, IMO.

However, I hear that the ferry is pretty comparable to the size of Empress though, so I guess we should all get used to it. :p

The Mexicans In Cozumel have learned how to compress time...

They take that 10hr and 15min excursion and compress it so it fits into the 9 hours your ship is in port.

Simple..

Just kidding

Dennis & Sue

Edited by SC_Floaters
correct spelling

I checked this out on a map - Costa Maya is MUCH father south than Cozumel and considerably farther away from Chichen Itza. I doubt this could be done from Costa Maya.

Edited by bcarney

We had a group tour while on our TA from Barcelona. It was a 9 hour tour and we were in port 9 hours. I backed out of the tour # 1 it was not ship sponsored, #2. decided to spend 4 hours in the Port and nearby area and see the local sights. We got back plenty of time to walk back into the Port and visit some shops. We try and keep any tour under 5 hours to give us time to do something else afterwards and relax before disembarking. Had we done the Tour to Seville, we would have spent almost 2 hours each way just traveling.

• 2 months later...
I had the same question before booking this excursion on a cruise last year. I did take the excursion and they do get you back before onboard time. If I remember correctly, we were back at least 30 minutes before that time. I only wish we had more time to wander around on our own after the guided tour. Regardless, it was a great excursion and I would do it again.

I would like to take my Mom to Chichen Itza on the Royal Caribbean excursion (just so we don't miss the ship!). I'm sure she can get around AT Chichen Itza and the small steps leading up to the visitor's center.

My concerns and questions are:

• How far do you walk from the ship to the ferry?

• How far is the bus from the ferry once you cross the channel?

• Is it a mass rush to get to the ferry/bus or normal walking? Uphill or fairly flat?

She can walk fine as long as there are not a lot of regular steps or she has to walk very fast.

Once you get to Chichen Itza, do the buses park right near the entrance to the visitor's center?

I'm also curious about the bus. I know most tour buses have that giant first step which is hard for her. I have a little folding step-stool I can take to help. Any input?

Thanks for any response. She has wanted to see this since she learned about it in elementary school!

We were on the Oasis OTS which I think docks at the International pier. The ferry was at the same pier as the ship so once we got off the ship, we walked down past the jog in the pier but not quite to the port shopping area. Since the ferry was for multiple excursion groups, there were a lot of people getting on it.

Once we got off the ferry, we had to find our tour guide and wait for everyone else on the tour to show up. It was hot that day and we were in the open (no shade or seats). I will say that it was ‘a hike’ to get to the bus as we zig-zagged through a shopping area and down several blocks to a lot where a number of tour buses were waiting. Regarding the bus, I think it did have the high step to get in.

The bus dropped us off near the entrance steps to the visitors center. However, how close you are to the entrance depends on how many other busses are there dropping off people. We did have a ‘break’ for those who needed to use the facilities before we went on the tour itself. As usual, there was a line waiting for the ladies room.

On the tour itself, there are paved paths (lined with venders) but once you get to the ruins, you are walking on grass/dirt. There is a lot of walking in Chichen Itza.

Leaving the tour, the buses are parked not too far from the entrance steps but, again, where your bus is depends on how many other buses are there. Back in town, the bus was allowed to go only on certain streets so they had to drop us off even further away from the ferry than the earlier ‘hike’. And, the tour guide stayed with the bus so he did not accompany us back to the ferry. He gave us instructions on how to get to the ferry and gave us our tickets for the ferry. Since there was no time for dawdling around we kept up a good pace to get back to the ferry. I’m going to say it took us maybe 20 minutes or so of walking to get to the ferry pier. There was also a line to get on the ferry and we had to watch which line we were in so that we got on the ferry going back to the pier where our ship was docked.

Most of the walking was on fairly flat ground but like any place else, you still have to watch for rough spots.

For most of the tour, I think your Mom would do okay. I'd be more concerned about keeping up the pace to stay with the group for the distance walking to and from the bus. Of course, we took this tour in May 2014 and things could have changed since then. Just a thought - maybe you could contact one of the independent operators that have this tour and ask them how they do the tour.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Edited by Jazzy Sneakers

Thanks so much, Linda. My big concern is the bus hike to and from the ferry -- especially if we are having to rush. I'll have to really think if it is doable for her -- and maybe have a Plan B excursion if this doesn't pan out. She will be disappointed to miss Chichen Itza, but I know she will enjoy whatever we decide to do.

I could get information from independent tours just to have an idea of how rings are now, but I'm concerned about taking an independent tour when the time frame is so tight at the end of the day. Being stuck in line at the ferry at the end of day is NOT something I want to risk!!!

Thanks again for your quick and informative response!

I wouldn't do this through an independent either. At least not unless I was staying for a few days in the area. Another ship's excursion we have done is to the Coba ruins. Not as long of a bus ride as Chichen Itza but the same to/from bus walk. One place I have read about is the Xaman Ha ruins right in Playa Del Carmen. Although they're not as impressive as the other ruins, I would consider doing this if Cozumel is on the itinerary of a future cruise. It looks like it's a few blocks from the ferry pier and it would be at my own pace. I'd also have to check out how to get the ferry therre and back on my own. Maybe that is an option for your plan B. :)

Linda

Thanks again, Linda. Indeed the to/from the bus seems to be the main issue. If I'm going to do the ferry/bus trek, it would be for Chichen Itza! However, I wonder if there are bicycle taxis or something that could go from the ferry to tour bus area. I've heard they have the bike taxis on the pier, but don't know about downtown Playa del Carmen.

I did Chichen Itza from Progresso (on Carnival), and Tulum from Cozumel (on Princess) in the past.

One good option at Chichen Itza is to find out what time you have to be back at the bus , and break away from the group to see what you want (this is what my wife and I did, and we covered way more ground than the tour did). We had done some research on the parts of the ruins and then made our own packet up to use as a guide.

Tulum is really amazing as well (although nothing compares to Chichen), and is easier to get to from Cozumel. The pyramid overlooking the ocean is spectacular.

And ironically, my wife nicknamed the ferry the "vomit comet" as she puked her brains out. It's a rockin' and Rollin' good time!

Edited by greenbbs

One good option at Chichen Itza is to find out what time you have to be back at the bus , and break away from the group to see what you want (this is what my wife and I did, and we covered way more ground than the tour did). We had done some research on the parts of the ruins and then made our own packet up to use as a guide.

And ironically, my wife nicknamed the ferry the "vomit comet" as she puked her brains out. It's a rockin' and Rollin' good time!

I have also done this excursion when I was on the Navigator in port at Cozumel. As long as you are doing the ship tour they won't leave you behind (had this tested on a couple occasions now but luckily they were ship tours ;)).

I think greenbbs' suggestion is a good one as well because this is also what we did. Our time at the ruins was extremely limited but the tour guide gave us the option to look around ourselves and meet them at a designated location at a certain time or we could follow the guide around. We chose to walk around ourselves and time wasn't much of an issue for us and I even shopped briefly and took a ton of pictures.

The ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen does move quite a bit and many people do get nauseous in my experience. I don't really have a problem with motion sickness but for some reason the ride over in the mornings has left me a little white in face. Coming back in the afternoon I never have a problem.

As for the walking, there is a decent amount of walking all around. My father travels with me and he doesn't get around quickly either but he is still able to cope with it. Getting to and from the bus, we aren't generally moving too quickly for anyone and my father keeps up fine. When we are walking on our own he just takes frequent pit stops to rest.

That being said the ruins are fantastic to see and well worth the commute IMO.