Temporary License w/Photo

So my partner last night lost his wallet we went to the DMV and got a new one but it will come in the mail 7-10 days we fly out tomorrow I called RCL and 2 out of 3 customer relations said it would be fine as long as it has the digital picture it looks exactly like the license just not laminated has anyone had this happen and what was the results I'm just freaking out right now. We have his birth certificate and previous id's but there not valid because they have a hole punched in them after he got his new one any help would be appreciated this is his first cruise my 29th and when we get back passport we be purchased.

My friend was in the same situation. She boarded in St. Louis without an issue, however, in Fort Lauderdale after the cruise, she was taken aside and had a body search during security. At the port, we were in the suite line and the lady had to call over a supervisor to get approval for the temp id. The whole process only delayed our checkin by about 5 minutes.

Also keep in mind that the instructions on your temporary says you cannot alter it and laminating it may void the license.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if the TSA will accept a paper thing as proof of being a license.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete a form to include your name and current address, and may ask additional questions to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening.

You will not be allowed to fly if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends you to arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time to allow ample time for security screening and boarding the aircraft.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if the TSA will accept a paper thing as proof of being a license.

I would not be surprised at all. Its more than just "a paper thing". A lot of states do it this way now and TSA is well aware of it. Cruise lines should certainly be familiar too. You get a temporary DL that looks just like the regular plastic DL on a special kind of paper and they mail you your DL weeks later. In every case I can find, TSA accepted the paper license with no problem. Afterall, its an exact copy of your DL (with watermark and other security features) and has your digital photo on it. It IS your drivers license.

DO NOT LAMINATE IT

Im not saying it will or will NOT work. We all know it just takes one anal agent to ruin someones day. Im just saying this is very common and it were me, I would expect a delay but would fully expect to be able to board a plane and ship with this paper DL and a BC.

Edited by ryano

Seriously? Is this a "thing"?

Yes! In Texas a Concealed carry handgun license looks just like a drivers license - in fact they use the same picture as your DL. It is a photo ID issued by a governmental body and works just as well as a DL. My DH has often used the CHL at airport security. They know that he has in fact already gone through extensive screening in order to get the CHL.

I would not be surprised at all. Its more than just "a paper thing". A lot of states do it this way now and TSA is well aware of it. Cruise lines should certainly be familiar too. You get a temporary DL that looks just like the regular plastic DL on a special kind of paper and they mail you your DL weeks later. In every case I can find, TSA accepted the paper license with no problem. Afterall, its an exact copy of your DL (with watermark and other security features) and has your digital photo on it. It IS your drivers license.

DO NOT LAMINATE IT

Im not saying it will or will NOT work. We all know it just takes one anal agent to ruin someones day. Im just saying this is very common and it were me, I would expect a delay but would fully expect to be able to board a plane and ship with this paper DL and a BC.

Well, thankfully the anal agent has a supervisor;).

The DHS regulations only specify that the ID be government issued. I find it hard to believe that a school ID would be accepted but your partner's would not be, after all, it is still a valid ID in all respects- you just can't go swimming with it:). Anyway, the only thing to do now is go to the port and see what they say, since they will be the final arbiters. Good luck and have a great cruise!

A license for carrying a concealed weapon (known around these parts as a CPL or CCW -- Concealed Pistol License or Carry Concealed Weapon) is the same in Michigan as others have stated in Texas and Illinois.

It's a government-issued photo ID, and it includes a background check and fingerprints on file -- it's actually MORE of an ID than just a driver license, which doesn't include any kind of background check or fingerprints.

Believe it or not the TSA has even accepted a Costco card, as long as they can help establish the identity of a person, lots of different picture ID's are in play.

Edited by AZCactusCruiser

TMUSCRUISER - you are on my cruise! I say tell your friend to bring his temporary license and any other photo ID at his disposal - like a work ID - anything. Just a second piece of identification. Like others have said - it is not so much RCCL you need to be concerned about as TSA. Especially given the times we are in - they need to be strict!

I am surprised though that he does not have a passport. I guess I just thought that was required by cruise lines when going to foreign ports - even Cozumel.

I am surprised though that he does not have a passport. I guess I just thought that was required by cruise lines when going to foreign ports - even Cozumel.

Not required -- foreign ports want the tourism money, so they aren't so picky about who comes in on a cruise ship. And on a closed-loop cruise (one that ends at the same port it started from), the USA doesn't require a passport, either - just a photo ID and proof of citizenship (like a birth certificate).

I had to renew my license a few months ago and MO just moved to issuing the paper license and mailing the new one. I had to fly the following week. I did have my passport (it was a domestic flight) and took it with me. But just for fun, I presented the paper ID to see what they said. They did not bat an eye going or returning.

As far as boarding the ship, someone posted that the same thing happened to them last week in another forum. They had no problem at the check-in. They did show their old expired DL as additional identification. I would just recommend having supporting documents, even if expired.

You should be okay! In Georgia, they are so behind at the DMV that they just give out the paper license and send you on your way. It took a month to get my actual license and I went on a cruise and took a flight and had no problems. Just don't laminate it or else they won't consider it to be valid!