Excursions in Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao

happyspouses

We will be on a cruise visiting the ports of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao, having about 9 hours in each port. Can anyone recommend any independent tours companies and tours that you found enjoyable in any of these ports? We prefer not taking any excursions through the ship.

Not sure what type of excursion you're looking for but if you're into snorkeling, definitely book a catamaran snorkel trip with Woodwind in Bonaire. The have one or two daily trips depending the number of ships in port.

We took the three hour afternoon trip a month ago and it was probably the best excursion I've ever taken while cruising. The crew is absolutely top notch and they provide excellent equipment, local knowledge and guidance for snorkelers of all ability. They separate the people into small groups each with a guide. On board they provided drinks (beer, wine, rum punch and soft drinks/water) and a great hot meal on the trip back to the ship.

The reef in Bonaire is really beautiful and the fish abundant. We saw two type of sea turtles as well... no sharks or rays this time but they do encounter them as well.

Best Regards,

Walter

We will be on a cruise visiting the ports of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao, having about 9 hours in each port. Can anyone recommend any independent tours companies and tours that you found enjoyable in any of these ports? We prefer not taking any excursions through the ship.

In Bonaire, I recommend renting a car. It's a very easy island to drive and it allows you to get out to the areas most people don't see.

The nearest car rental to the port is a Hertz, located at the Divi Flamingo horel. I was there is October and the rental fee for the day was $40.

Not sure what type of excursion you're looking for but if you're into snorkeling, definitely book a catamaran snorkel trip with Woodwind in Bonaire. The have one or two daily trips depending the number of ships in port.

We took the three hour afternoon trip a month ago and it was probably the best excursion I've ever taken while cruising. The crew is absolutely top notch and they provide excellent equipment, local knowledge and guidance for snorkelers of all ability. They separate the people into small groups each with a guide. On board they provided drinks (beer, wine, rum punch and soft drinks/water) and a great hot meal on the trip back to the ship.

The reef in Bonaire is really beautiful and the fish abundant. We saw two type of sea turtles as well... no sharks or rays this time but they do encounter them as well.

Best Regards,

Walter

I agree with everything you wrote! Woodwind was our best snorkel trip (and we've done lots) ever!

We had been to Aruba before and done the regular sightseeing excursion so on our October cruise we tried something different: Trikes Aruba (http://www.trikes-aruba.com/). "Trikes are a unique combination of a motorcycle front end combined with the rear end of a sports car." They all have a passenger seat (and at least one of them had a double passenger seat). It was so much fun and something totally different!

In addition to the good info provided above, you would also enjoy going to the Port of Call section and checking under each of your port stops where you'll find way more information and help with independent excursion operators. :)

LuLu

Aruba is a beach stop if you ask me (have been there twice, first time on a two weeks land vacation and one time on a cruise).

I would take the local bus to Palm beach, Druif beach or Eagle beach. The bus station are located just outside the port, just cross the street.

Baby beach are overrated and takes some time to get to. Although we got engaged on Baby beach on our land vacation, we chosed not to go back there during our cruise stop.

We had been to Aruba before and done the regular sightseeing excursion so on our October cruise we tried something different: Trikes Aruba (http://www.trikes-aruba.com/). "Trikes are a unique combination of a motorcycle front end combined with the rear end of a sports car." They all have a passenger seat (and at least one of them had a double passenger seat). It was so much fun and something totally different!

Bring your own helmet. We just did this trip and they didn't provide them. Furthermore they don't offer any insurance either and they don't accept any insurances either. If had know this I would have skipped this trip Ride at your own risk. I almost got ran off the road more than once.

Bring your own helmet. We just did this trip and they didn't provide them. Furthermore they don't offer any insurance either and they don't accept any insurances either. If had know this I would have skipped this trip Ride at your own risk. I almost got ran off the road more than once.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Almost all excursions we have ever done (snorkeling, segway, ziplining, flightseeing, etc.) requires signing a waiver acknowledging that you are doing this at your own risk. As I said we enjoyed it immensely as did the 4 other couples on our excursion. One of our group was doing it for the 3rd time and we would do it again given the opportunity.

The staff said Aruba didn't require a helmet because it was not considered a motorcycle since it had 3 wheels instead of 2 and we found it very stable. None of our group had any problem with other vehicles, in fact other drivers were incredibly accommodating helping us keep the group together. The locals waved from cars and front yards and when we went through downtown at the end of the excursion and were stuck in traffic tourists took our pictures and every little kid we passed waved.

We may get the opportunity to do it again in another location. One of the staff said they now have the concession for Cozumel (or maybe it was Playa del Carmen) and St. Maarten and will be opening there soon with trikes with automatic (instead of standard) transmissions.

Edited by capriccio

In Nov '14, we booked through Irie Tours in Curacao. I would recommend them. The were very organized and it was a fun day. We went to a distillery, drove through the city and learned some history, drove through older and newer areas, had time at a beach, and when the tour was over, we still had time to see the floating bridge and do some shopping.

Same cruise in Aruba, we took a taxi to a beach and spent time there and rented a jet ski. Then took the taxi back to town and went shopping near the cruise port. Enjoy your planning and cruise!

WE took a tour in Bonaire and it wasn't worth it at all. Yew, we saw wild flamingos - from van windows and the huge piles of salt but this was from a distance. The most fascinating things we saw were fences that were actually cactus grown very close. We'll probably stay on the ship next time there. Our driver said they had maybe one ship a week so there aren't the vendors or touristy shops there yet.

WE took a tour in Bonaire and it wasn't worth it at all. Yew, we saw wild flamingos - from van windows and the huge piles of salt but this was from a distance. The most fascinating things we saw were fences that were actually cactus grown very close. We'll probably stay on the ship next time there. Our driver said they had maybe one ship a week so there aren't the vendors or touristy shops there yet.

One ship a week? There were 2 ships in port the day we were there (Princess and Pullmantour).

We will also be visiting these islands on our cruise we are going on next year.

This is what I am thinking so far, might change ;).

Curacao- going with Irie tours

Aruba- we have been here before and loved it, we are just going to rent a jeep

again. The trikes look like tons of fun but we are traveling with 8 people so 2 jeeps will be more cost effective.

Bonaire- snorkel trip with Woodwind, my youngest real wants to swim with the turtles.

We will be on a cruise visiting the ports of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao, having about 9 hours in each port and looking for a general sightseeing tour. Can anyone recommend any independent tours companies and tours that you found enjoyable in any of these ports? We prefer not taking any excursions through the ship.

Thanks everyone for your replies and information. In Bonaire, has anyone toured with Bonaire Vista Tours? If so, how was it?

Yes, but it was spring of 2014 - not this year. We felt it was a waist of $$$. We were in a van and didn't get out to see the wild Flamingos- you took pictures from inside the van. We saw the HUGE salt piles and learned about them but this was from a distance. We learned a bit but nothing -'wow'. We stopped at one place where you could buy a bag of salt, get a popsicle and use the rest rooms. The most fascinating thing was seeing fences made of cactuses that were planted very close together. Nothing could get between them.

This was a year ago so don't know if it's the same now.

Bonaire wasn't touristy because ships haven't been going there long and not many stop there. No big WINGS type of stores no Diamonds International and those types of stores.

If we go again we may just stay on the ship.

Bonaire- snorkel trip with Woodwind, my youngest real wants to swim with the turtles.

Just FYI - Dee from Woodwind is a marine biologist and very conservation oriented, so she will not allow any interaction. It is not like Barbados, where they bait the turtles to come up to you.

Since it is a wild environment, there are not always turtles to be seen.

It is a wonderful day, but your kid may be disappointed it swimming near turtles is the only goal.

Trikes-Aruba

One of the best excursions we have done and you do not need a helmet. :)

I know a helmet isn't required. I wonder what your thoughts on the helmets would be if you were involved in a car crash without a helmet one their trikes. I have a close friend that rides a trike and he always wears his helmet. I guess he's crazy.

Edited by notalandlover