Anything new on Harvest Caye?

TNCruzer56

Here's why I wanted to go to a private island: I don't scuba dive and I'm not really that interested in going back to Altun Ha, so Belize City doesn't really entice me as a port. The one city tour excursion was short and expensive. My wife will snorkel, but she has a bad shoulder, so she wants to go off the beach, not off a boat. So, that means most of the snorkeling in Belize is out, and there is one beach excursion which says snorkeling is forbidden ( I'm still trying to figure that one out.)

Harvest Caye has a snorkel excursion, from the beach. So, that was a good excursion for us.

She loved GSC, and I figured this would be similar. I'm not sure that's true, and it may not be ready by our February cruise, anyway.

While I'm in favor of going out and meeting the locals, I've heard a lot about safety (or lack thereof) in Belize City, and my wife has a much lower adventure threshold than I do, so we probably wouldn't venture out in our own. So, it's a wasted stop for us, and we've been there twice already.

A private island is a private beach, food and drink without cash, and a controlled environment. While that seems "Disney" to some, it may be preferable to wandering into the wrong neighborhood and meeting the wrong locals.

I'm sure Belize City is a lovely place if you do your research, have a local trusted guide and a plan, but that's a lot of work just for a vacation. I'd rather just have a beach, some snorkel gear, and a drink or two.

We are booked for May and its iffy if Harvest Caye will be ready. The first time we went to Belize, we booked Goffs Caye on our own. It was a great snorkeling fun. It was off a boat, though. It was $40 per person, a lot of people didn't snorkel, they sat on the beach while we snorkeled. This past November we went back to Belize and we just shopped, sat and had a few beers and just enjoyed being on vacation.....When we had booked the November cruise we were scheduled for Harvest Caye. I was so disappointed that it wasn't ready, but maybe it will be in May. I loved GSC and would love another port like that.

This is absolutely what I was hoping for.

When we booked the cruise' date=' I selected one that went to Cozumel because we want to go to Playa Mia. I was excited to see one of the four ports was a private island. I see private islands as a day to be at a beach, but to not spend more money. I'm sorry we may not be getting that, but think we have found an option if we have to go to Belize City.[/quote']

Agreed - it will be quite disappointing of Harvest Caye isn't open in March when we go. I chose NCL instead of RCCL and HAL because of Harvest Caye

I don't even care if it is not fully complete

A sandy beach with chairs and drinks works for me

And interestingly enough, Belize's Prime Minister, in his New year's message just a few hours ago said

"And on that front the headline news for 2016 is twofold: NCL's Harvest Caye project becomes fully operational by April and brings with it two thousand jobs for Southern Belize;

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=34787

So based on this, it could be a soft opening in February and fully operational by April

Hmmmm, who really knows

Edited by berryberry

And interestingly enough, Belize's Prime Minister, in his New year's message just a few hours ago said

"And on that front the headline news for 2016 is twofold: NCL's Harvest Caye project becomes fully operational by April and brings with it two thousand jobs for Southern Belize;

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=34787

So based on this, it could be a soft opening in February and fully operational by April

Hmmmm, who really knows

Wow, thank you for that article!

Will there be a large pool at Harvest Caye?

Saw some pics of last summer, construction and sinking piles.

"Start sinking piles for the biggest pool in Belize." was one caption of one of the engineers' pics under #harvestcaye #norwegiancruiselineproject hashtags on FB.

(#nclproject is another one used on FB)

Blah, so disappointing.

I do wish NCL wouldn't advertise it as available -- on upcoming Jade cruises, for example, where they know the place isn't open and won't be, it seems rather misleading to feature a photo with the words "Discover tranquility on Harvest Caye, our new private island."

That sounds to me that it's an actual option, when they know it isn't.

Trust level negative.

A friend and I were looking at booking a Feb 28 cruise on NCL solely because of Harvest Caye. I guess we shouldn't take the chance and look at other options.

What do y'all think?

We're on the Feb 27th sailing on the Jade, which is still showing Harvest Caye. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop, actually. There are a couple of cruises before us that are supposed to call there, so I supposed we'll know before we leave, even if it's not announced. However, I'm surprised we haven't been told yet - we were told very early on that our Christmas cruise was going to Belize City instead of Harvest Caye.

A friend and I were looking at booking a Feb 28 cruise on NCL solely because of Harvest Caye. I guess we shouldn't take the chance and look at other options.

What do y'all think?

From the latest article, it looks like it won't be open then. :(

It would be different if it were before final payment, or if they'd give those of us who are booking (largely) because of Harvest Caye an out (via an ability to cancel and get a refund) if it isn't ready, but I don't see that as an option.

I'd hate to say don't book it and then something amazing happens with the construction and it's suddenly ready, and you miss out on this cruise, but if it were me, and I hadn't yet booked, I'd look elsewhere I think (or hold off on booking the NCL cruise until it's for sure open)

We're on the Dawn 3/20 sailing. I just booked my Harvest Caye excursion last week. I wish they would just make up their minds so if I have to book a different excursion I can do so. I like to have everything booked and ready to go before the trip.

We're on the Dawn 3/20 sailing. I just booked my Harvest Caye excursion last week. I wish they would just make up their minds so if I have to book a different excursion I can do so. I like to have everything booked and ready to go before the trip.

We are on the Dawn two weeks before you. We have been so looking forward to a beach day at Harvest Caye. Hoping that they will let us be part of a 'soft' opening for this port.

Just another created island. They are all the same. Why not go to a REAL beach in the Caribbean. I am so getting tired of these fake excuses for a caribbean experience. They have destroyed so many natural habitats. Just another way to keep your money in the hands of NCL. Belize City has its negatives, but its real.

For those that want a fake beach, go to a Disney resort in Florida. Looks the same

Just another created island. They are all the same. Why not go to a REAL beach in the Caribbean. I am so getting tired of these fake excuses for a caribbean experience. They have destroyed so many natural habitats. Just another way to keep your money in the hands of NCL. Belize City has its negatives, but its real.

For those that want a fake beach, go to a Disney resort in Florida. Looks the same

Well gee.....why do you go on a cruise? Isn't that too fake for you too? I wish I could afford my own sailboat and wander around the Caribbean, but since we can't we enjoy the cruise and look forward to the relaxation. And since this is a port we can go to a beach without paying for an excursion, it's just a little more enjoyable for some of us who need to make the most of our vacation dollars. To each his own...

Sigh

I CALLED the NCL excursion line today to see if they would be forthcoming about whether we are going to Harvest Caye in March, and all I got was the pat "the itinerary says Harvest Caye ."

When pressed, I was directed to the number for customer relations: 866 625 1164.

Not a happy camper!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Sigh

I CALLED the NCL excursion line today to see if they would be forthcoming about whether we are going to Harvest Caye in March, and all I got was the pat "the itinerary says Harvest Caye ."

When pressed, I was directed to the number for customer relations: 866 625 1164.

Not a happy camper!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The way things are going with the island I am not planning on HArvest Caye and we are there the first week in April. Sticking to our original paan of playing it by ear once we are on the cruise.

Thanks charltonite for the update.

How would a private island beach be fake? It's the real ocean, with real sand.

Belize City doesn't seem (at least I can't find) any beach on the mainland. From my research, I'd have to pay someone to take me to an off-shore beach. I'd much prefer docking at an off-shore beach. Save a ton of time. And money.

Best beach day of my life was on Disney Cruise Lines Castaway Cay. Real sand, real water, AND with already-paid-for food and drink and ice cream just steps away. It was lovely.

that article is not new - it is simply a rehash of what Andrade said in December that was posted earlier on this thread (and he spoke before the PM did on 12/31 saying the island wpuld be fully operational by April)

not sure we can draw conclusions either way

from the article itself

Harvest Caye’s opening “will be delayed,” said Valdemar Andrade, director, destination planning and cruise at the Belize Tourism Board (BTB), in a December interview on the 7NewsBelize.com website.

Edited by berryberry

For a little comedic relief to this sad lack of communication from NCL....

I called the Shore Excursion desk last week or so just to see if they would book me on an excursion at HC on Feb 16 (first stop scheduled there on the Jade). Mike said we would definitely being stopping at HC and not Belize City and he would gladly book me on an excursion. I played along and asked about the Mayan Temple and Spice Farm Tour. I specifically asked if there was a boat ride involved or if you got straight on a bus for an hour ride to the site. He said no boat ride involved at all, straight onto a bus. I said that HC was a very small island and was he sure there was not a transfer to the mainland to a bus. Again, nope. I politely declined booking anything.

There was nothing on the NCL website for those tours about boat transfers then (there is now magically). We have booked our own excursion for Belize City at this point. If a miracle happens and we go to HC we will cancel our reservations and just see what the new island has to offer and report back.

On a side note, when we booked this cruise late last fall, none of the aft penthouse suites were available. They were all being held by NCL. Our cruise consultant at NCL could not explain at the time why they were not in inventory or why NCL had a block on them. She thought it was strange at the time. Suddenly this week, all of the aft penthouses became available (and we upgraded). My theory and the NCL consultant agreed is that since the Jade was going to be the first ship stopping at HC, they were going to have VIPs or NCL big-wigs on the ship. Now that it appears it will not be going to HC, they have opened up those rooms. Consultant says her info still shows going to HC but that she would "tend to believe what you read on Cruise Critic because they are almost always correct."

Either way, I'm looking forward to getting back on a ship!

For a little comedic relief to this sad lack of communication from NCL....

I called the Shore Excursion desk last week or so just to see if they would book me on an excursion at HC on Feb 16 (first stop scheduled there on the Jade). Mike said we would definitely being stopping at HC and not Belize City and he would gladly book me on an excursion. I played along and asked about the Mayan Temple and Spice Farm Tour. I specifically asked if there was a boat ride involved or if you got straight on a bus for an hour ride to the site. He said no boat ride involved at all, straight onto a bus. I said that HC was a very small island and was he sure there was not a transfer to the mainland to a bus. Again, nope. I politely declined booking anything.

There was nothing on the NCL website for those tours about boat transfers then (there is now magically). We have booked our own excursion for Belize City at this point. If a miracle happens and we go to HC we will cancel our reservations and just see what the new island has to offer and report back.

On a side note, when we booked this cruise late last fall, none of the aft penthouse suites were available. They were all being held by NCL. Our cruise consultant at NCL could not explain at the time why they were not in inventory or why NCL had a block on them. She thought it was strange at the time. Suddenly this week, all of the aft penthouses became available (and we upgraded). My theory and the NCL consultant agreed is that since the Jade was going to be the first ship stopping at HC, they were going to have VIPs or NCL big-wigs on the ship. Now that it appears it will not be going to HC, they have opened up those rooms. Consultant says her info still shows going to HC but that she would "tend to believe what you read on Cruise Critic because they are almost always correct."

Either way, I'm looking forward to getting back on a ship!

Thanks for the good laugh but at least you got your aft penthouse! The best part was you would not need to take a boat ride..perhaps walking on water instead. LOL

We will be in aft penthouse in April. We are so looking forward to searching for all kinds of mammals and fish once again.

All the shore excursions for my March 9 Harvest Caye stop are gone from MyNCL. Strange thing is that there have been no dinner reservations on that day for the entire time (at least from 90 days).

Yep they went poof for me as well. One person on our roll call said they made a reservation. I guess Harvest Caye will be a mystery stop if we get to go there. ;) I finally was able to make a couple of nights dinner reservation this afternoon and I have been trying since before Christmas!

All the shore excursions for my March 9 Harvest Caye stop are gone from MyNCL. Strange thing is that there have been no dinner reservations on that day for the entire time (at least from 90 days).

When I logged on, the shore excursions also disappeared from the Feb. 27th sailing as well. They are still listed for Cozumel and Roatan. Someone on that Roll Call said that NCL said expect it to be updated to Belize City in about a week...