Princess Survey about Formal Nights

ready2cruzagain

After visiting UK arrived back home end of November.Noticed in the department stores over there the many womens evening wear items which would be considered Formal night wear very prominently displayed.If there was a downturn in the market for that class of clothing why would they promote such a big display ?

Edited by kruisey

Very entertaining discussion. I'll summarize my thoughts as simply as possible. We dress up for formal night and enjoy it. I have NO problem with others that do not. I don't mind sitting at a table with folks that don't want to wear tuxes and gowns. I DO have a problem in general with slobs. Folks, you can relax on your cruise all you want but show a little class when going to the MDR. A dress policy should be enforced for all dinners that requires long pants, no ball caps, tank tops, flip flops, and the like. If someone is at my table on formal night with nice slacks and polo shirt (and the comparable wear for ladies) that's fine. No need for me to be elitist. But is it too much to ask someone on their vacation when they want to "relax" to be presentable in a restaurant? This should be the rule for all dinners in MDR and I honestly can't think of a reason that should upset anyone. Bottom line (and here's where I'm sure there will be some disagreement) Princess is still considered a somewhat upscale line along with the others mentioned by others in the same sentence in the previous posts. If you feel you should be able to wear beach garb or very informal clothing in the MDR for dinner, book Carnival. I can't fathom any rationale from a poster that would change my mind as to the dress in the MDR. I can't buy the " if I want to be a slob at dinner that's my right because I paid the same amount and go on a cruise to relax and be informal". Put on a pair of slacks and a decent shirt - your mother would be proud of you for being presentable at a nice restaurant.

Your view sounds like what Princess is shooting for. A middle of the road option which shouldn't offend most people & still maintains a decent look for dining. Sure there will be some who will get offended & might leave Princess (I don't know which cruise line it could possibly be) but at the same time Princess will remain a more viable option for more cruisers.

]Princess hasn't required formal throughout the ship in over a decade.[/color] It applies only to the Main and Anytime dining rooms.

I'm also getting a chuckle out of the women here telling the men how they should dress and then probably show up in polyester pants and a black top and think they're "formal" LOL

True but reading only their literature would make one think the formal dress is strictly applied when in fact it is not. If I were a first time cruiser & not visited any of the cruise boards I might not know any different and make a selection based just upon that. Seeing that almost all the other major cruise lines have relaxed their standards, Princess will be losing business to many unless they change with the times.

It is funny to see the few women who boast about dressing their husbands.

If you feel you should be able to wear beach garb or very informal clothing in the MDR for dinner, book Carnival. I can't fathom any rationale from a poster that would change my mind as to the dress in the MDR. I can't buy the " if I want to be a slob at dinner that's my right because I paid the same amount and go on a cruise to relax and be informal". Put on a pair of slacks and a decent shirt - your mother would be proud of you for being presentable at a nice restaurant.

OH I very much agree, we've been cruising Carnival the past few years, doubt we go back mostly because of this very issue. Carnival's MDR has degenerated into the style of a local chain restaurant in your hometown. Their new style "American Table" is nothing more than that. No tablecloths, you pour your own drinks, chairs are not pulled out for you, shorts and t-shirts are the dress of the day, etc. Dinner in the MDR is one of the things that make cruising special for us. Dress up, act like kings and queens, have someone take care of us for a week, then back to the grind of our day to day lives while we save enough to do it again. IO

Edited by ohioblue52
add io

Just as an aside, the survey was addressed for me rather than my wife, so it seems they may have wanted a males perspective.

Not sure why, as I take my dress directions from my wife.:p

You are obviously a smart man. Sign in local restaurant: "The smartest thing a man ever said was "Yes, Dear"."

I'm all for Toga Night.

Jeez, why didn't i think of that. Skip the wife beater shirt night and go with TOGA NIGHT. That is a great idea....... hmmm.... you must be my age and you remember Animal House.

Costa Cruises already has Toga Night. Lots of fun too!

They even supply the sheets so no need to pack your own toga.

Edited by beg3yrs

I have no desire to see an anything-goes dress code for the main dining rooms or the specialty restaurants aboard Princess ships. I used to always take a suit and tie on cruises--------but then the airlines started charging for luggage. For me, I now leave the coat and tie at home and pack smart casual attire for evening dining. I avoid the main dining room on formal nights because I don't feel comfortable being there without a coat.

Maybe it would help to identify what the Princess definition is of:

Smart Casual

Elegantly Casual

or whatever term they are using.

Once that term is identified and defined, then passengers should abide by it and not use the excuse that it is 'only suggested.'

Do you think that would help all of this?

Maybe it would help to identify what the Princess definition is of:

Smart Casual

Elegantly Casual

or whatever term they are using.

Once that term is identified and defined, then passengers should abide by it and not use the excuse that it is 'only suggested.'

Do you think that would help all of this?

They can define it all they want just as they've done in the past & it won't make much difference. They give suggestions & people substitute they own ideas of what to wear.

They can define it all they want just as they've done in the past & it won't make much difference. They give suggestions & people substitute they own ideas of what to wear.

I guess that is the thing that needs to be changed. The Princess code should be identified as the 'RULE' and not 'Suggestion.' Enforce it or don't have it at all.

I guess that is the thing that needs to be changed. The Princess code should be identified as the 'RULE' and not 'Suggestion.' Enforce it or don't have it at all.

Unfortunately it's not a rule , just a policy. Some people don't observe road rules, so why would they respect any policy or suggestion?

I hope Princess will not change any policy regarding formal nights and be seen to enforce it. There are other places to eat if you choose not to dress formally.

I'd like to see ballroom dancing as the post meal entertainment...either watching or participating.

What is the average observed percentage of formal wearers anyway?

A valid question. However, with ATD and TD I don't believe anyone could estimate a valid %. Each cruise would differ, too based on Cruise length, destinations, origin, etc.

Is it really that much of an imposition to allow someone in the MDR who is wearing a pair of blue jeans and a polo?

Is it really that much of an imposition to allow someone in the MDR wearing a pair of shorts and a tank top?

I enjoyed the MDR atmosphere on our recent Princess cruise. Whether it reflects the crowd or was just "dumb luck," I also noticed an improvement in behavior over other lines we've cruised recently where they had no enforced dress code at all.

We had late dining. While people seemed to be enjoying themselves, we saw no "drunk and disorderlies," no abuse of the serving teams, and nothing that in any way disturbed our enjoyment of our meal. Bottom line--people behaved themselves and looked decent. The was on all nights, whether the dress code was "smart casual" or "formal."

I didn't see a lot of real formal dress on formal nights, but most people made an effort to dress up....more along the line of cocktail dress.

No, it doesn't bother me that someone wears shorts in the dining room...but it does bother me when they are obnoxiously loud, throwing food, cursing, etc. Whether the behavior in some way relates to the dress, I can't say. It seems to me that the rude and crude behavior is often coming from the same people who don't know how to dress for dinner.

A valid question. However, with ATD and TD I don't believe anyone could estimate a valid %. Each cruise would differ, too based on Cruise length, destinations, origin, etc.

I think you are right here.

In addition, I have seen cruises with a very high percentage dressed appropriately in the MDR but that only accounts for the people I see in and around the theatre and MDRs (I dine Select or ATD so would see a good proportion of the traditional diners as well), and doesn't for those who choose the Buffet and such. On another cruise, I have seen around 50 % of people in the MDR actually adhere to the dress code.

Edited by MicCanberra

I enjoyed the MDR atmosphere on our recent Princess cruise. Whether it reflects the crowd or was just "dumb luck' date='" I also noticed an improvement in behavior over other lines we've cruised recently where they had no enforced dress code at all.

We had late dining. While people seemed to be enjoying themselves, we saw no "drunk and disorderlies," no abuse of the serving teams, and nothing that in any way disturbed our enjoyment of our meal. Bottom line--people behaved themselves and looked decent. The was on all nights, whether the dress code was "smart casual" or "formal."

I didn't see a lot of real formal dress on formal nights, but most people made an effort to dress up....more along the line of cocktail dress.

No, it doesn't bother me that someone wears shorts in the dining room...but it does bother me when they are obnoxiously loud, throwing food, cursing, etc. Whether the behavior in some way relates to the dress, I can't say. It seems to me that the rude and crude behavior is often coming from the same people who don't know how to dress for dinner.[/quote']

Just got off the Regal and sorry to say - they did not enforce the Formal Night dress code as men were in there in short sleeve and long sleeve shirts without jacket and tie. However, it did not bother us.

IMO - Princess is absolutely correct to explore this much discussed Formal Night issue & it's about time. Princess should Eliminate Formal Nights Fleet-Wide Now ...with the following provisions for the MDR & Speciality Restaurants of -

1) For Those Dress To Impress Love Formal Night People - accommodate them in Special MDR area. What could be better?

2) For All Others - Actually (As In Do What You Say Princess) Enforce the Princess MDR & Casual Dress Policy - NO MDR Entry dressed in Shorts, Swim Attire, Tank Tops, Low Riders, Flip-Flops, No Hats For The Guys...absolutely NO exceptions. Did I say hats? yea.! So - You get the idea.

3) For those No Way Formal Night -and/or- Casual Dress Cruisers ... Princess offers other dining venues for you to enjoy & Dressed Your Way ... including buffet, balcony & more!

So - Have It Your Way! Enjoy!

I usually take the longer cruises always traditional dining.My observations are that on formal night in the Traditional dining room most of we ladies dress up,dresses,trousers or skirts with evening tops.

My last cruise was for 17 days just over a year ago that pattern had not changed at that point THANK GOODNESS:).

Edited by kruisey

Just got off the Regal and sorry to say - they did not enforce the Formal Night dress code as men were in there in short sleeve and long sleeve shirts without jacket and tie. However, it did not bother us.

Why "sorry to say" if it didn't bother you?