Overly-strong US dollar eliminating many cruisers

OceanTraveller4ever

We love cruising on Hal ships, but until the exchange improves, we most likely will postpone cruising or even visiting the USA for trips. This will force us back to look to our country for our travels, like we did before we started cruising. Not a bad thing.

I've been considering a cruise to Alaska for next spring, and am now re-considering. I may just go to Vancouver Island for a week and sign up for a bunch of whale watches ;) I'd be money ahead, and I'd get the important part -- whales :)

I've been considering a cruise to Alaska for next spring, and am now re-considering. I may just go to Vancouver Island for a week and sign up for a bunch of whale watches ;) I'd be money ahead, and I'd get the important part -- whales :)

Im not sure that you would save much money unless you plan on cooking your own food,or like camping . I now it costs me more money to stay in Vancouver for a week . Think you would not spend near that much unless you book a suite ! At least thats been my experience .

I so agree. And the spirit of Christmas was dumped at the door to this thread:( Peace on earth, goodwill to all...... Oh, and my DIL is American.

Can I join the egg nog cruise too????:D

Absolutely! You're on the list.

So, will this have to be a Christmas cruise? What do the members think?

With 8 new baby Orcas this year in the resident pods the whale watching is well worth it.:) Then there are the humpbacks and Greys in the spring as well. And as you live so far from the ocean it makes it that much more of a novelty for you.;)

Edited by Lizzie68

Im not sure that you would save much money unless you plan on cooking your own food,or like camping . I now it costs me more money to stay in Vancouver for a week . Think you would not spend near that much unless you book a suite ! At least thats been my experience .

Best price I'm seeing for an OV is around $2000 Cdn for 7 days, plus port fees/taxes and HSC. I'd be going solo, so that works out to around $300+/night Cdn. I'd be on the Island, so Vancouver hotel prices don't really apply.

With 8 new baby Orcas this year in the resident pods the whale watching is well worth it.:) Then there are the humpbacks and Greys in the spring as well. And as you live so far from the ocean it makes it that much more of a novelty for you.;)

Weren't there several good shows just offshore of downtown Vancouver last year?

Still not sure what I'm going to do, but the exchange rate is making me really think about it. I guess I'll see how i feel after our winter break on the left coast ;)

edited to add: SilvertoGold, i can never get away at Christmas.

Edited by CowPrincess

Weren't there several good shows just offshore of downtown Vancouver last year?

Still not sure what I'm going to do, but the exchange rate is making me really think about it. I guess I'll see how i feel after our winter break on the left coast ;)

edited to add: SilvertoGold, i can never get away at Christmas.

Yes several times orcas and a grey whale came right up Burrard inlet past the cruise ship terminal. Love living here!

Merry Christmas no matter what currency is in your wallet. Hopefully the spirit of the season will make members here realize their blessings and good fortune instead of what has manifested in this thread.

We are looking at the Eastern Townships area of Quebec, the Shediac area of New Brunswick, or my dream trip to Jasper when I can travel again. Despite what some think, it is just too expensive for us to cruise when paying American dollars, even in an inside cabin.

Victoria is my favorite between the two. There's a pub there that makes the best fish tacos. When we planned our Alaska trip we made sure it stopped in Victoria just so we could get tacos.

SandBar in Cocoa Beach makes great Fish Tacos as well. Next to Shepard Park. Fairly popular area with the port of call ships in Port Canaveral

Edited by John&LaLa

Victoria is my favorite between the two. There's a pub there that makes the best fish tacos. When we planned our Alaska trip we made sure it stopped in Victoria just so we could get tacos.

One of best places to eat in Victoria is the Cactus Club on Douglas. Also Earl's on Government Street. For pubs, the Bard & Banker and Irish Times

CowPrincess and kazu:

not a Christmas cruise, then. But how am I going to be able to get egg nog?

With at least two 5 stars, we can get the Ex. Chef to help out maybe.

I have a recipe to make it ;).

I'm in any time :)

Merry Christmas no matter what currency is in your wallet. Hopefully the spirit of the season will make members here realize their blessings and good fortune instead of what has manifested in this thread.

We are looking at the Eastern Townships area of Quebec, the Shediac area of New Brunswick, or my dream trip to Jasper when I can travel again. Despite what some think, it is just too expensive for us to cruise when paying American dollars, even in an inside cabin.

There are some of the CC family now far from Shediac that would welcome the 4 of you :)

When asked on the Princess board "Are you cancelling because of the low Canadian dollar? Macmax said "You may want to compare what the fare would be in CAD vrs USD. Many cruise lines including Princess have been offering decent discounts for us poor Canucks. Plus you can purchase OBC & pay for the gratuities in CAD to save a bit."

Just FYI and can't vouch that this is true.

When asked on the Princess board "Are you cancelling because of the low Canadian dollar? Macmax said "You may want to compare what the fare would be in CAD vrs USD. Many cruise lines including Princess have been offering decent discounts for us poor Canucks. Plus you can purchase OBC & pay for the gratuities in CAD to save a bit."

Thanks. We always compare.

The OBC & gratuities may be true on Princess, but definitely not true on HAL.

I am surprised that Princess would let the gratuities be paid in Cdn $ unless they are increased. It wouldn't be fair to the crew.

Every cruise I've looked at on princess seems to be charging about 50% difference. I'm judging that based on emails I get with pricing and when I sign in on the princess website ( I am comparing the price with the date in the email). Princess is in second place with me so I'm not about to pay a huge premium to sail with them.

Thanks for commenting Kazu and cruz chic. Cruz chic, just curious what month and itineraries you are looking at and did you see any Princess promotions? I've only compared Alaska and Mexico for May June September and December and Princess was $300-$800 (2 persons) less Mini Suite vs Signature Suite comparison. We generally book HAL with these type of price differences.

Edited by qsuzi