Not a good start for the Pacific Eden

Stratheden

Guest Cherie Butcherine said the ship was "worse than a one-star hotel", complaining of mould, leaks, flooding and a critical shortage of toilet paper.

"There was food all over the floor, the bathroom was absolutely disgusting, it was covered in mould," Ms Butcherine told Fairfax Media

not sure how/why mould, leaks and no toilet paper can be blamed on Noro?...sounds more like maintenance problems???

Guess she figured she had to blame someone

So given she found this....

Guest Cherie Butcherine said the ship was "worse than a one-star hotel", complaining of mould, leaks, flooding and a critical shortage of toilet paper.

"There was food all over the floor, the bathroom was absolutely disgusting, it was covered in mould," Ms Butcherine told Fairfax Media

Why wouldn't she "blame" P&O responsible? Who else could be held responsible or is it unreasonable to expect better

I think there's a bit of media beat up going on with regard to the Noro virus outbreak but having watched multiple passengers who where disembarking the ship today comment on the specific issues and footage of beer cans propping up beds on a couple of the TV stations it seems there are issues with cleanliness and maintenance on-board

Seems like a whine baby looking to whine.

4% of the passengers is not an outbreak, 96% of the passengers is a PROPER outbreak!

As far as the mold (boats tend to be near water, mold likes water Cherry Cherie) and the bathrooms (blame the passengers Cheery Cherie), what did she expect?

4% of the passengers is not an outbreak, 96% of the passengers is a PROPER outbreak!

As far as the mold (boats tend to be near water, mold likes water Cherry Cherie) and the bathrooms (blame the passengers Cheery Cherie), what did she expect?

That's an outbreak but not really the point.

Sorry to hear there is any Noro on any ships but hate to read the condition of the ship if this is accurate. How could it get so bad so fast?

Looking at the pictures (provided they are accurate), was Statendam in that condition when she left the HAL fleet. What did they do to refurbish her?

The CDC does not agree. Their passenger ship reporting requirements mandate a separate special notification when more then 2% report GI illness. And the CDC reports "Outbreaks" (their words) when 3% of passenger or crew report illness.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Looking at the pictures (provided they are accurate), was Statendam in that condition when she left the HAL fleet. What did they do to refurbish her?

While it has been a few years since I was on the Statendam, I have no idea if in fact the ship was in that shape you can certainly tell from the pictures there was not nearly as much changed as I thought there would be. It appears the cabins, furniture and soft goods remained the same from being the HAL Statendam. I was under the impression she was like a brand new ship :confused: The rust shown in the pictures would not have occurred that quickly and I would suspect it was from the Statendam.

I am not sure where I read it but I thought I had heard that some of the crew actually transferred to P & O and stayed with the ship.

I've been on ships with noro and even if you are in the 96% who don't get sick the experience can be generally unpleasant. I do recall the captain chastising the passengers for not keeping our hands sanitized and he told us that we had to do better and that the spread of the virus had to stop! I thought it was a bit strong but I wasn't going to try to get a free cruise.

The fact that these passengers were admitted to a cabin that apparently had not been cleaned is an error that should have been corrected immediately. If it really took 3 days, as reported, to remedy the uncleaned room that seems beyond acceptable.

The photos posted in the link were mostly of "old ship" issues: paint peeling, rusty window ledges etc. Yup, P&O spent a huge amount of money to pretty up the public spaces but may have neglected the cabins. Too bad they've had a rough start. An old ship in a new line, and a noro outbreak, ouch. Rough start. I do hope that P&O can get their ship and their service together.

I'll have to go look up the P&O forum and see if what else was reported. m--

I am not sure where I read it but I thought I had heard that some of the crew actually transferred to P & O and stayed with the ship.

We were also on the beautiful ms Statendam's last cruise. Not one of the crew that I asked was staying with the ship. The Captain did stay.

Sickness is caused by people, not by the ship.

We are sorry to hear that there have been serious problems. We had none onboard.

Barbara

While it has been a few years since I was on the Statendam, I have no idea if in fact the ship was in that shape you can certainly tell from the pictures there was not nearly as much changed as I thought there would be. It appears the cabins, furniture and soft goods remained the same from being the HAL Statendam. I was under the impression she was like a brand new ship :confused: The rust shown in the pictures would not have occurred that quickly and I would suspect it was from the Statendam.

Lisa: It had been several years since I was on the Statendam. I was on her last summer and the ship--in my opinion--had gone downhill

Edited by Himself

The P&O Australia board gives more information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2292667

December 30th, 2015, 07:06 PM

SeaDog-46

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Feb 2007

Statendam - last voyage

I was also on the last voyage with dollyhouse & I agree with them.

As an ex merchant mariner with over 40 years at sea & 15 as master - I was very pleased to see what an excellent condition Statendam was in when I joined for the 30 day cruise in Seattle. The only rust in evidence was around the anchor housing & is only to be expected when the ship is 2 years out of docking & uses its anchors quite often.

I did not hear of any cabin problems re AC or toilets. Maybe because over 90% of passengers were repeat HAL mariners. Most toilet problems are caused by passengers.

The generator failure was caused by a blown turbo charger & was fixed in Guam when a new one arrived with a Sulzer engineer.

Mooring ropes are renewed as required - on the experience of the staff Capt. & Bosun.

The HAL hotel staff were excellent & as a whole are one of the best in the business. Replacing them with 60% newbies, some of which may have come straight from their villages with only basic safety training, & others from the bottom of the barrel, will take months to work through.

The pictures we have seen - indicate that 1 cabin steward is not doing his job correctly & nor is his supervisor. Salt around windows, rust stains from plumbing & mould should all be attended to on a daily basis by the steward & if bad sorted by the tradesmen onboard.

HAL Capt. Christopher Norman & staff Capt. Ryan Whitaker are on loan to P&O Aust. for 2 years - as are 2 from Ryndam. The staff Chief Engineer onboard Statendam was promoted to Chief Engineer & transferred to P&O Aust. Both vessels are now registered in London & certificated officers have to have a UK or Commonwealth qualification to serve onboard.

The hotel staff & crew will take some time to improve efficiency & there are no doubt problems ,but with so many new crew it is to be expected.

The media - the less said the better - but in any marine matter they have not a clue & ALWAYS get things wrong. So it's best to just ignore what they say.

These two ships are well built & lovely little ladies. Just sort out the crew problems & they will make great Australian cruise SHIPS.