Very Disappointed with Princess

ohtocruise

So which was it--before or after the 75-day window?

And did you book under a promotion with non-refundable deposits?

As usual, a complaint thread unencumbered by any actual facts--except for of course this "special" one:

Hopefully the OP, being such an experienced Princess cruiser, will return to enlighten us how the Cancellation Fee Schedule which has existed since time immemorial constitutes "nickel and diming" :rolleyes:

Strange isn't it.

This thread makes Princess look good! They have been slowly edging their way to my favourite cruise line and this has helped move them up one more rung. Thanks OP!

It's nice to read that they actually offered you the ability to reuse your deposit on a future cruise booking, despite being under no obligation to return your deposit to you. Well done, Princess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too thought that was generous of them.

We have been on several Princess cruises and thoroughly enjoyed most of them; however, the last few cruises we have been disappointed with the food and service. To make matters worse it seems Princess is "nickel and diming" passengers. We avoided Princess for a few years but decided we would try them again with the new Regal Princess. Unfortunately, we had to cancel the cruise about 75 days before departure and was told that our deposit of $200 would have to be forfeited as a cancellation fee. It really isn't about the $200, but really how rudely the Princess was to us.

I sent a letter to Princess with my complaint and received a call back from a very unprofessional "customer service" person who simply said there was nothing they could do- it was a cancellation fee. When I contested she said she could give me a credit but that it would have to be used within one year. Without any consideration as to why we had to cancel, i asked to talk to her supervisor. She replied that there was no one there for me to talk too. REALLY, no supervisor.

This was the last straw with Princess and I politely told her to keep her credit. I am very sorry to see Princess go down as badly as they have. We are platinum level and think that they could have at least tried to remedy the matter.

No more, Princess.

Sorry, but it IS within their time frame. You should have cancelled with more than 90 days. Then you would have gotten the deposit back. Try Celebrity/Cunard. We've always liked them very much. We're giving Princess a try this Feb.7 for a 14 day B2B. If it doesn't measure up..well back to Cunard & Celebrity. I'll post me review upon returning to port.

The good thing I think of when I read complaints such as the OP's is that I hope he keeps his promise to never sail on Princess again. That way I won't have to endure running into him on one.

If you do, be sure to have a glass of milk with you. After meeting him, I'm sure you would then have a nice glass of Yogurt!

I am sorry, but have absolutely no sympathy or empathy for the OP. If they were a new cruiser doing their first or second booking we might understand. But the same cruise experience (that they cite as an excuse) tells me they are simply a few more folks expecting special treatment because they have cruised a few times. But these are the folks who should KNOW BETTER. We have been Elite with Princess for many years and would never expect any special treatment other then the stated perks.

Hank

If you have a refundable deposit the insurance is a waste of money unless you go past the final payment date and the cruise is payed for. We never purchase insurance until final payment is do. If you cancel you get your deposit back. Airfare may be a reason to get insurance before final payment but you may not

be covered depending why you cancel. If your using a FCC for your deposit the insurance will cost more then the refund you will get back normally. you don't get the insurance money back. You should always compare and understand the rules before you book or buy any insurance to cover your butt. Insurance works but only if your within there rules in the small print. They will look for reasons not to pay out.

Then you don't worry about pre existing conditons that an outside company may provide

Sometimes, there are special rules for pre-existing conditions,

that might make you want to purchase insurance within a few

days of booking (or what ever the rules are)

To be covered for pre existing conditions, you normally have to buy insurance (NOT CRUISELINE) within a certain time of initial booking to be covered for pre existing conditions. Waiting until final payment to but it is a chance you take.

Princes insurance does not cover pre existing no matter when you buy it.

We just sailed the Regal and thought the food and service were outstanding. Have been nickel and dimed way more on other cruise lines. I thought Princess was a great value and had great drink specials and the free food venues were fabulous. We only paid $25 for the steakhouse. It's $35 on Carnival. I will admit Carnival steakhouse is better tho. But buffet and MDR blow Cranival and Royal away.

One would be amazed how many people feel that any response except giving them exactly what they want is a rude response. As often as not rude represents the attitude of the caller more so than the customer service agent.

Once I was telling a friend of being told no and how it was delivered in a rude.

manner.

His reply still resonates after all these years and it was along the lines of "Sometimes there just isn't a nice way to hear NO"

I'm betting the "rudeness" part is when Princess said they could not refund the deposit. If someone hears something they don't want to hear in my profession, it means I'm immediately being rude, no matter how nice you may be, according to the poor mistreated soul who wants something even though they know it's not the policy.

Edited by dwayneb236

In case no one has brought this up.

Most of my credit cards have travel protection. When I book a cruise, or a flight, I am automatically covered if I use such credit card(s) to pay for the trip. It saves me the hassle, and the $$, of arranging a separate travel insurance coverage.

I find this feature extremely convenient.

This is the second post in 10 minutes on this Princess board where I've read someone complaining about Princess' customer service not bending the policy for the poster's "special" situation. I'm getting the impression people think that the more cruises they taken, or the more money they've spent, or the more money they are going to spend in the future, that it entitles them to special treatment.

I'm not sure it's a function of a person's cruise history. I think it's happening because Princess does, at times, bend the rules, and people come on Cruise Critic and give them kudos for doing so, and others chime in about that's why they love Princess.

And then those people who have always followed the rules and bought the insurance learn that they were foolish to do so, since others were getting special concessions, and, in the future, some of them come back and complain that Princess didn't bend the rules for them.

In this regard, I really do believe that Princess is its own worst enemy.

In case no one has brought this up.

Most of my credit cards have travel protection. When I book a cruise, or a flight, I am automatically covered if I use such credit card(s) to pay for the trip. It saves me the hassle, and the $$, of arranging a separate travel insurance coverage.

I find this feature extremely convenient.

they don't cover doctors or evacuation emergency

]So which was it--before or after the 75-day window?[/b]

And did you book under a promotion with non-refundable deposits?

As usual' date=' a complaint thread unencumbered by any actual facts--except for of course this "special" one:

Hopefully the OP, being such an experienced Princess cruiser, will return to enlighten us how the Cancellation Fee Schedule which has existed since time immemorial constitutes "nickel and diming" :rolleyes:[/quote']

I'm going to guess that since the OP post was 3 days ago, and according the their signature line they were 47 days out from sailing when they posted, and assuming they posted soon after their experience it was way under the 75 day window.

I cancelled a cruise earlier this year, about 77 days out and received a full refund.

I was in customer service for many years, and everyone that called in thought their situation was unique and special and therefore the rules needed to be bended for them. I agree with the others that credit towards a future cruise was generous.