customer service at NCL is an oxymoron

trish1c

Ugh.

I have to change cruise lines going forward. It's a shame, really, because we're Gold Latitudes, which isn't as high as many of you, but we're good customers. Anybody who knows anything about business knows it's much harder & far more expensive to get a new customer then to make an existing customer happy.

Booked a GTY cabin with UBP promotion about 10 months ago for a cruise in a few weeks. NCL has had my money for a long time.

Over the course of the last few days the price has dropped about $100 pp and NCL is now offering 2 complimentary promotions for new bookings. My ship is not sailing full as of today.

I called to see if NCL would do anything for me, even so much as dinner for 2 in one specialty restaurant or some Wi-Fi minutes, even moving my cabin from a BD to a nicer room. The way I see it, the new people are getting almost $500 more in benefits then I am receiving, plus NCL had use of my money.

The customer service rep was sweet as she politely informed me there was nothing she could do. I asked to be transferred to a manager. He was snide. Not a good quality in a customer service rep.

Has anybody had success in getting NCL to provide any concessions under these circumstances? I know what I'm going to talk about at my CC meeting on board! Because I know some NCL rep will make the announcement if anything on board is a problem to let them know before I come here and post. I doubt anything will be resolved to my satisfaction but I don't understand a business model which antagonizes customers & punishes early booking.

Every other cruise line I have ever sailed does something to make the customer happy. NCL could care less. In the past I was usually the one booking last minute so I didn't have to deal with these kinds of issues but this type of cavalier treatment is going to drive me to another line.

Is "in a few weeks" less than 75 days? Prices often drop near sailing after final payment to get the ship filled up. If it is after final payment there is no obligation to you.

These companies are in business for profit, they can't afford to drop prices for everyone on the ship just because one person got a better deal than another. That would create chaos.

I don't expect you will find much sympathy from another line in a similar circumstance.

If it was before final payment they should of re-booked you without penalty.

Sometimes people get a concession, sometimes they don't. You agreed to a price that you thought was fair at the time and you got the free drink promo.

Personally, for me that wouldn't be an issue. Plenty of other cruise lines out there for everyone to choose from.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, regardless.

Ugh.

I have to change cruise lines going forward. It's a shame, really, because we're Gold Latitudes, which isn't as high as many of you, but we're good customers. Anybody who knows anything about business knows it's much harder & far more expensive to get a new customer then to make an existing customer happy.

Booked a GTY cabin with UBP promotion about 10 months ago for a cruise in a few weeks. NCL has had my money for a long time.

Over the course of the last few days the price has dropped about $100 pp and NCL is now offering 2 complimentary promotions for new bookings. My ship is not sailing full as of today.

I called to see if NCL would do anything for me, even so much as dinner for 2 in one specialty restaurant or some Wi-Fi minutes, even moving my cabin from a BD to a nicer room. The way I see it, the new people are getting almost $500 more in benefits then I am receiving, plus NCL had use of my money.

The customer service rep was sweet as she politely informed me there was nothing she could do. I asked to be transferred to a manager. He was snide. Not a good quality in a customer service rep.

Has anybody had success in getting NCL to provide any concessions under these circumstances? I know what I'm going to talk about at my CC meeting on board! Because I know some NCL rep will make the announcement if anything on board is a problem to let them know before I come here and post. I doubt anything will be resolved to my satisfaction but I don't understand a business model which antagonizes customers & punishes early booking.

Every other cruise line I have ever sailed does something to make the customer happy. NCL could care less. In the past I was usually the one booking last minute so I didn't have to deal with these kinds of issues but this type of cavalier treatment is going to drive me to another line.

The new rule is that if you book and cruise in under 30 days you get no perks so the new people will not be getting those perks that you are wanting

Ugh.

I doubt you'd get anything. The new CEO stated plainly that he wanted to get away from re-pricing existing customers after final payment.

The reason they repriced $100 lower was to FILL cabins, not to move everybody 1 step to the left.

Prices come down in order to fill the ship, not to antagonize already booked guests. If its just a few weeks out and the ship is not full, they have to lower fares to fill rooms.

I am not aware of any line that compensates when fares come down after final payment, at least not as a standard practice.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

Not a big fan of NCL these days but have to side with them on this one.

I don't know what other cruise lines you have sailed but I know Royal Caribbean and Carnival will do nothing for you after the final payment has been made.

On Carnival you can get price reductions up until 2 days before sailing if you book their early saver rates but those come with restrictions.

Bill

It has been reported here that if your sailing is within 30 days, those promos don't apply (even though the website is misleading). If the current price of your cabin is lower, you can ask to pay more for a better cabin.

Exactly true. The promos don't apply to sailings within 30 days according to my PCC.

By the letter of the law (or contract in this case) yeah, I agree with NCL on this one but only if they are consistent. If and when I start seeing exceptions being made then I start to wonder even more about this company.

The OP's issue is not about customer service, its about getting more than they are entitled to and that's not right. For many years I had to book way in advance because of scheduling and work commitments. Rarely was I able to book last minute to get low prices or added perks and I was OK with that.

I have no love lost for NCL as I hate their current business model, but if they hold true on their word of no repricing, upgrades or benefits after final payment then there is nothing to complain about.

:D Whenever you ask for something there are always 2 answers..

Yes or No..

You got the latter...Time to move on...

I found the price I was happy with when I booked, then watched closely for any drops, thankfully there was one a few months later well before final payment..

I just made my final payment a couple a weeks ago in full knowledge that no more changes can be made..

I am happy, and basically stopped looking at the NCL site..

Why bother when I was perfectly happy when I gave them my final installment.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise and forget about what could have been, life as well as cruises are too short for that..

Have a good time.....

I know I will...

So you’ve been ok taking last minute fares in the past - without caring if NCL gave credit to other passengers. And now you’ve booked early it isn’t fair??

I guess it was worth a try in asking but you didn’t seriousl;y think NCL were going to change policies just for you did you?

Anyway – you can accept it and have a great cruise – or take that grudge on board, bitch about it at the meet and greet (thereby inflicting your misery on others) and be “that” person.

I’d suggest you relax and move on with having a great time.

I called to see if NCL would do anything for me, even so much as dinner for 2 in one specialty restaurant or some Wi-Fi minutes, even moving my cabin from a BD to a nicer room.

If a cabin upgrade would satisfy you, I'd try asking for this again, even if there is a minimal additional cost. I've done this a few times over the past few years and as recently as this past September. My TA called NCL and said $x. I said no, hung up, changed my mind. Called the TA back and NCL said nothing available. Called NCL they said yes there was availability. Called the TA back, they contacted NCL, got me the upgrade for an acceptable amount.

Maybe you just need to try again with another rep.

If a cabin upgrade would satisfy you, I'd try asking for this again, even if there is a minimal additional cost. I've done this a few times over the past few years and as recently as this past September. My TA called NCL and said $x. I said no, hung up, changed my mind. Called the TA back and NCL said nothing available. Called NCL they said yes there was availability. Called the TA back, they contacted NCL, got me the upgrade for an acceptable amount.

Maybe you just need to try again with another rep.

While it may be possible, it is unlikely to happen the same way it did in September. Nothing wrong with trying, although "cooler heads" have a better chance of making it happen.

The perks/promos, within the 30 day window, are only available on Escape and Getaway. One only needs to do the math to know why that would be.

Good luck OP, enjoy your cruise and if you're that dissatisfied, I'm sure another cruise line will be happy to take your money, next time.

In general, I agree with most of what has been posted here. If you paid a fair price for your cruise, you accept that and move on. More often than not, fares increase as the sailing date approaches rather than decrease.

BUT....

When this happened to us last year, NCL offered some percentage (I belive 25%) of the difference in fares as OBC. That seemed to be standard operating procedure. I don't know whether that approach still is the norm. However, it couldn't hurt to try to call again and see if you get a different answer. (You might even suggest that this seemed to be NCL's approach as late as this time last year.) Ya' never know. Good luck

This has been discussed here thoroughly in the past. If you are after final payment then there is nothing that you can do. Their policy in the past might have allowed them to give you a small amount of OBC but those times are over. I wouldn't let it ruin your good time. You obviously we're ok with the price you paid. It's no difference from an airline, hotel, other land vacation having a price differential. Prices fluctuate all the time. You wouldn't be offering to pay them extra money if the price had went up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh.

You are correct. Just your past cruises should show you are not just a price shopper and will go anywhere. Do you use a travel agent or do you have a personal cruise consultant? Either should be able to do something for you. If not write to the guest services. I wish you good luck. My recent experience with NCL has been less than expected. I am a Latitudes Platinum and that doesn't seem to count for anything now. There are many other choices and I have been treated better after 3 cruises on 2 other cruise lines. NCL has changed and not for the better.

10 months ago, the UBP came complete with gratuities included. That is not the case if you were to book now, so a reduction in the cruise fare now would probably be offset with the additional gratuities.

Just something to help you feel better about the perceived loss...

If your fare had gone up would you be mailing NCL a check? One time we did actually cruise "last minute" and while we were making our plans the price of our cruise did go up... it happens.

It's one thing to check pricing before final payment and try and make a concession but after final payment they cut costs to fill what is left over. I understand within 30 days no perks are allowed... so you must factor in that cost differential as well as the reduction in cabin choice. They also do upsells which people here on CC love. And, by NCL filling up the ships it actually helps keep future prices down. Empty cabins don't bring in dollars, especially on board add-ons.

Right now a lot of people are down on NCL so every little things is labeled "poor customer service" and "that rotten FDR". But this is definitely not either of those.

Ugh.

I filled up my gar with gas on Saturday. Price was $1.69/gallon. Today it's $1.65/gallon. They aren't giving me anything for the price drop. I bought a new television in early November. Now it's being advertised at $200 less than I paid. Not getting anything from the store.

Why should you expect something from a cruise line because you chose to book your cruise at a time when prices were higher than they are today? It happens all the time and pretty much every business - not just cruises.