Airline guidance/ recommendations to Australia

I am currently planning a cruise that will sail from Sydney and terminate in Auckland.

I will be flying from Tampa Florida (USA) and am trying to determine if there is one carrier that is best.

I will either fly premium economy both ways or if allowed by the carrier business class out and premium economy on the return.

The three carriers in question are Virgin Australia, Quantas or Air New Zealand.

Air new Zealand could be via Houston or LAX. Some online reviews of Virgin have been poor.

I realize that Air NZ would mean a stop in Auckland and then on to Sydney. Quantas would mean a return to Sydney from Auckland. Not sure what Virgin would provide.

Air NZ supposedly has the better premium economy depending on the aircraft used (777-200ER out of Houston and a 777-300 out of LAX).

For those familiar with the service to and from Australia/ New Zealand, is there one airline that is better than the other?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Cheers....and Happy New Year!

Tom

Tom

It's Qantas (no U) :D - a common error...

I can say Virgin is a good airline and the Trans Pacific flight is good - they use the 777

Qantas fly the A380 and some 747's

You could also look at the United and American options - Delta would codeshare with Virgin

For the Trans Tasman legs on Virgin you would fly either Virgin or AirNZ metal (Air NZ are part owners of Virgin along with Singapre Airlines and Etihad) so they have strong alliances with them - the options across from Sydney to Auckland will be many - it's almost like a commuter route for the approx 3 hour flight. I don't thinks there's one airline better than the other on that route

It's a long flight particularly from the east coast - but PE class will make it better - and if you can afford it then Business class is even better (and Virgins Business class it's certainly very nice - mind you so is Qantas's)

Edited by Bodogbodog

People have their preferred airline/s and often this depends on who they have frequent flyer points with. We tend to use OneWorld just for the points but in truth they have been so devalued that we are starting to look at best fare of day. it's probably much of a muchness - you can have really good flights or terrible ones from all of the ones you have listed. Airlines are consistent in their inconsistency. As the saying goes "You pays your money and takes your chances".

None of these airlines are the low cost ones so I would consider all of them. My advice is to look at the one/s with the best timings and decide if any extra costs are worth it. Mixed fare buckets (PE/Y) are often not permitted as a fare combination so check on that as well. PE certainly does make a difference and the QF product I have found very good. Air NZ does have good reports for PE as well.

People have their preferred airline/s and often this depends on who they have frequent flyer points with. We tend to use OneWorld just for the points but in truth they have been so devalued that we are starting to look at best fare of day. it's probably much of a muchness - you can have really good flights or terrible ones from all of the ones you have listed. Airlines are consistent in their inconsistency. As the saying goes "You pays your money and takes your chances".

None of these airlines are the low cost ones so I would consider all of them. My advice is to look at the one/s with the best timings and decide if any extra costs are worth it. Mixed fare buckets (PE/Y) are often not permitted as a fare combination so check on that as well. PE certainly does make a difference and the QF product I have found very good. Air NZ does have good reports for PE as well.

The other item to consider is if you have multi airline flights for the segments that you are allowed to check in on line for the WHOLE journey I recently did one and had to check each airline separately and obviously the 24 hour timing was often when we were in the air Ask before you book

I think you would be happy with any of those airlines. I personally love Air NZ as I find their service to be fantastic. However, of those three I would book based on price as I think they are all fairly similar.

I would also look into which airline will do the US domestic sector (LAX/Houston - Florida). I know QANTAS code shares with United but not sure about the others. If you can find a line that does international all the way to Florida that will be a much nicer experience than switching to a squashy, low service domestic flight for the last sector.

I know you have said one airline, but would suggest examining a bit of mix and match. Could save considerable travel (and sitting in airport) time. Costs would the be factored.

So, Qantas, Virgin etc to Sydney. Direct flights from LAX. I think UA have now moved to 787.

From Auckland to US, Air NZ or another direct back.

With some airlines and code shares, a claw fare may provide a good cost.

I know QANTAS code shares with United but not sure about the others

Are you sure that's the case? - I thought it was American that they code share with given the One World alliance - United are members of Star Alliance to competing group

Qantas have an A380 route (our international preference aircraft) Ft Worth/Sydney as well as LAX/SYD. We've done both routes with no problems. A380s are quiet and comfortable. We've also experienced Singapore Airlines Premium Economy and would certainly recommend them but I don't think they do AUS/USA.

Qantas doesn't code share with United. However, United will book you through to other Australian destinations if United doesn't serve them. So, for example, you might book SFO-SYD, on United (on their website), then United will book you from SYD to your Australian destination in some cases, on Qantas.

I know you have said one airline, but would suggest examining a bit of mix and match. Could save considerable travel (and sitting in airport) time. Costs would the be factored.

So, Qantas, Virgin etc to Sydney. Direct flights from LAX. I think UA have now moved to 787.

From Auckland to US, Air NZ or another direct back.

With some airlines and code shares, a claw fare may provide a good cost.

I would recommend not doing this, it will work out way more expensive than booking a return flight with the one carrier (or code share carriers).

I would recommend talking to a travel agent about Virgin Australia. They code share with Air New Zealand so you may be able to work a Virgin ticket to include an NZ codeshare. TA's can manipulate flights in a way that can't be done online.

I've flown both qantas and air NZ to the states and back and can categorically say air NZ wins hands down. They fly 777's which are very comfortable (as comfortable as a 14 hour flight can be). They have excellent service, meals and entertainment. No way to fault them.

With qantas I flew the a380 one way and the 747 back. The 747's are old and tired and very uncomfortable. The a380 was good but you do feel crammed in (with over 500 on board no wonder)

All of these airlines (QANTAS, Virgin Australia and Air New Zealand) do very well in the safety rankings. There is a German site JACDEC dot de that gives safety rankings for the 60 largest airlines and was recommended to me by someone in the industry.

I had a flight in an A380 in business class last year (bargain fare) and it is the only time I have really slept properly on a long flight. Beats business class on a 777 hands down.

So .... Based on that, I would suggest that you look very seriously at the QANTAS A380 from Dallas to Sydney. I would hazard a guess that the Premium Economy on this flight would be good - probably upstairs which is much quieter.

Just a thought - but it is a long way from Florida to Australia/NZ . So how about a stopover in Honolulu on the way to Sydney and on the return from Auckland???

Hawaiaan Airlines -- Orlando Florida to Los Angeles to Honolulu , stopover Honolulu, Honolulu to Sydney. Return, Auckland to Los Angeles with stopover in Honolulu , Los Angeles to Orlando

That sounds like a good idea Bazzaw - I know the AFF site often has discussed going via Hawaii (and there are some very experienced flyers who are members of that site).

And to RMS Olympic, you will need a return ticket not two one ways as they are much more expensive for almost all international flights (i.e 70%+ of a return ticket each way). If you have FF points that could be a possibility for you to book one way award flights, however, Aus - USA is a high demand route and any award more than economy is generally snapped up as soon as it is released @ about 355 days.

Aus - NZ is one international flight where one way fares can be booked at good value (in fact it is sometimes cheaper to book NZ - AU through the NZ site).

Are you sure that's the case? - I thought it was American that they code share with given the One World alliance - United are members of Star Alliance to competing group

Yep sorry you are absolutely right. I have done that Fort Worth to NY sector on both United and American so getting confused

The Hawaii stopover suggestion is excellent. We do the same and combine it with a few day on Maui.

If you do not wish to stopover then the Dallas-Sydney route on an A380 would be my next choice. PE would make it bearable on all routes.

Hugh

We have flown economy, premium economy and business on Virgin and Qantas.

Personally I prefer Virgin over Qantas the staff are just more friendly.

However when comparing business class, they are both not great products, again the service is superior on Virgin (my opinion:rolleyes:) but neither of them have direct aisle access, which to me is a must. I don't like climbing over people when the beds are out.

Blue elephant when you compare the A380 to 777 business class, I don't think you can go past Singapore air new 777 business class product( don't get me wrong the A380 isn't bad but the 777 is amazing:D)

In saying that, to the OP, we fly to Florida nearly every year, the Qantas option via Dallas is good, but I love Virgin Americas product, so Virgin via LAX and then onto Virgin America to Florida ( assuming the fly to/from Tampa).

haven't flown ANZ for years but plan on using them for our antarctica trip in

December in premium economy (although the forums tend to say they have limited leg room)

Lots of good feedback!

I think it will come down to either a Houston or Dallas flight. I never even thought about a A380 flight.....

My hope is to fly business out, premium economy back.

I am awaiting ship schedules as I am looking at a 12 night cruise from Australia to Auckland. With the 2 day transit time to get down under that makes a trip of 14 days....my limit. Its being away from my dog that prevents a stop over like Hawaii ( I love Hawaii!!!!!!!). For those that have a dog, the separation issue maybe understandable.

So thank you very much for the info and opinions.......

As I love the planning aspect of travel, selection will be fun.

Maybe looking at some additional you tube videos of the flights will help:D

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Tom

I am unsure when you are looking at this trip, however later this year American Airlines will commence flying from Auckland to US. What may be an idea is to fly from Fl to Sydney on QF/AA and then the cruise to NZ and fly direct back to US from AKL. Also recently I read where UA will also commence service again to AKL.

Blue elephant when you compare the A380 to 777 business class, I don't think you can go past Singapore air new 777 business class product( don't get me wrong the A380 isn't bad but the 777 is amazing:D)

)

Singapore Air is a bit too far down the JACDEC a safety rankings for my liking. DH has a fear of flying and we manage that by sticking to airlines that are very high in the rankings.

Our international flights are all between Sydney and Milan and we have used the Virgin/Etihad partial premium economy. Last year, Etihad withdrew the late night flight out of Milan after we had booked. So ... The flight from Milan was no longer a connecting flight to the Virgin 777. We found a bargain for Etihad business class all the way to Sydney, so we booked that. BUT ... We never really intended to fly business class at the time we booked.

Still not happy about what happened, even though it was a great flight. Makes me wary of trusting Etihad again, especially since they made a great stuff up of the process. Virgin were not even made aware of this flight change until we told them. Etihad just tried to book us on "the next available flight" which left Milan after our Virgin flight was scheduled to leave Abu Dhabi!

I am thinking that I would like to go Cathay Pacific premium economy to Milan next time. They topped the JACDEC a safety rankings in 2015 and offer a reasonably priced premium economy all the way from Sydney to Milan.

Having blathered on about all that - I agree with you about Virgin Australia - top service! And good safety ranking as well!

Lots of good feedback!

I think it will come down to either a Houston or Dallas flight. I never even thought about a A380 flight.....

My hope is to fly business out, premium economy back.

I am awaiting ship schedules as I am looking at a 12 night cruise from Australia to Auckland. With the 2 day transit time to get down under that makes a trip of 14 days....my limit. Its being away from my dog that prevents a stop over like Hawaii ( I love Hawaii!!!!!!!). For those that have a dog, the separation issue maybe understandable.

So thank you very much for the info and opinions.......

As I love the planning aspect of travel, selection will be fun.

Maybe looking at some additional you tube videos of the flights will help:D

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Tom

I agree from Florida, via Dallas is your best bet. Nowadays I select the shortest route, then airline comfort.

We also fly out of Tampa. We used Delta b/c we were able to use miles (a gargantuan amount) for business class. Changed in LAX in both directions, plus some other city.

On the way home, though, we weren't able to fly from Auckland to Sydney and get onto a Delta, so you are going to be limited by schedule. We flew to Sydney and stayed over one night, which you certainly won't want to do.

B/c Orlando sometimes has better service, I have to agree that you should consider that.

Have fun planning!