Dear Carnival .... Pet Peeves

LuckyZ

How about enforce every single rule they have in every single instance without fail, no exceptions. If they don't intend on actually enforcing the policy, then do away with it. If it's outdated or what have you, then get rid of it. But what is the point in having rules of they are treated more as "guidelines"?

The only rule I've seen enforced is going through your luggage looking for alcohol and confiscating it. Rules are enforced if it's costing Carnival money, all other rules are meaningless.

No one is forcing anyone to buy cheers and limiting themselves to 15 drinks. Besides, you can bring a bottle of wine onboard (wonder how many people carry on the top grade imported wine that sells for $100 a bottle). Besides you can buy bottles from room service if you want more.

Everyone also can buy drinks in port ( oh yea, its not part of the cheers package...me bad) if they want more than the allotted 15 glasses.

In the big picture I don't want my "fare" to pay for someone's drunken stupor...who do people think "pay" for all the extra drinks when someone has cheers.

What? I think I've missed something?

The only rule I've seen enforced is going through your luggage looking for alcohol and confiscating it. Rules are enforced if it's costing Carnival money, all other rules are meaningless.

I have certainly seen Carnival enforce the no-smoking areas. :)

Carnival employees were also attempting to enforce the 40-minute chair hog rule on my last cruise. But it was challenging because guests would just remove the stickers on the seven extra chairs they were saving for family/friends, or the seats in the shade they were saving for when they got hot, or pop out every hour to check on "their" chair.

I would like to hear the CD make frequent friendly announcements about why excessive chair saving hurts everyone, at least on certain cruises where it's clearly out of control and people are complaining. Maybe a humorous video to play in the mornings on the big screen.

You would think that they would really be enforcing the no smoking on balcony rules then since they could get $250 a pop!

But you did kind of hit on what I'm getting at. Why have rules if they have no intentions on enforcing them? From unpotty trained kids in the pools and hot tubs, to smoking, to dress code, alcohol smuggling, or whichever one you want to pick. If it's not enforced, then get rid of it.

There needs to be consistency in whatever they decide. Make it the same for every ship, every sailing. There shouldn't be any room for interpretation. Kind of like the saying, "You're either pregnant or you're not". There's no in between.

If one doesn't even know which ones if any will actually be enforced on a particular sailing, then why should people respect them? They will continue to cater to the mindset of the "rules don't apply to me" clientele and it's all their own doing.

No one is forcing anyone to buy cheers and limiting themselves to 15 drinks. Besides, you can bring a bottle of wine onboard (wonder how many people carry on the top grade imported wine that sells for $100 a bottle). Besides you can buy bottles from room service if you want more.

Everyone also can buy drinks in port ( oh yea, its not part of the cheers package...me bad) if they want more than the allotted 15 glasses.

In the big picture I don't want my "fare" to pay for someone's drunken stupor...who do people think "pay" for all the extra drinks when someone has cheers.

I don't buy the Cheers package as we don't drink what the allotted amount is. So what if people go into port and purchase beer/wine/margaritas for cheap and get a buzz going on. Who is it hurting, cetainly no one who choose to purchase the drink package. Cabo and Ensenada is our favorite places to drink on the cheap.

How is your "fare" paying for someone's "drunken stupor?" I suppose if I paid for the drink package, one can expect to get drunk, but drunk on their dime not mine.

I carry on sodas because I don't drink coke products, which is all the ship sells. I take Mountain Dew with me, doesn't have anything to do with what I paid for my trip or being cheap - I don't drink coke period.

We tried to openly bring through security a six pack of plastic bottles of Coke last week on the Sunshine but it was confiscated. They said there was a new rule preventing us to bring on plastic bottles. They said cans are OK but plastic bottles are not.

We also brought on a bottle of wine, which they said was A-OK

Sounded strange to us.

My pet peeve are the lack of diet/sugar-free/low calorie drink options. A Free-Style machine would be a perfect solution. Fanta and Sprite offer a ton of diet sodas in great flavors. There is also flavored Dasani water and Minute Maid light which are low in calories.

Those machines do offer a ton of selections but take much longer for each person to use. Especially those who've never encountered them before.

Edited by SadieN

This may have been discussed already but my pet peeve is that I do not like that if you want a Cheers package that everyone else in the cabin with you over 21 has to buy it too. Thats absurd. Im cruising Carnival with my 71 year old mom who not only doesnt drink but CANT drink because of her medications. Im hearing a Dr's note stating this will not do us any good :(

Edited by ryano

Getting rid of the 15 drink limit on cheers would be great, NCL and RCCL drink packages are similarly priced (if not cheaper) and don't have a limit to them.

Also in the area of beverages I would love to see Carnival make the move to the freestyle soda machines like RCCL has, it really cuts down on the traffic at the bar. It's a benefit on both ends, I hate having to wait in line for a beer with 5 people ahead of all getting sodas and on the other side when I just want a soda it stinks having to wait in line for people getting frozen mix drinks. Freestyle soda machines would really help.

We just got off the Norwegian Jade out of Houston and their UNLIMITED drink package was free, just had to pay $68 for bartenders tips...

How is your "fare" paying for someone's "drunken stupor?" I suppose if I paid for the drink package, one can expect to get drunk, but drunk on their dime not mine.

I totally agree!

But one of my pet peeves is people who think the people who purchase the Cheers program are drunks or only purchase it to get drunk! :mad:

We tried to openly bring through security a six pack of plastic bottles of Coke last week on the Sunshine but it was confiscated. They said there was a new rule preventing us to bring on plastic bottles. They said cans are OK but plastic bottles are not.

We also brought on a bottle of wine, which they said was A-OK

Sounded strange to us.

Carnival made that a rule quite a while ago, cans only. Too many people opening the bottles and filling with liquor. So those who attempted to sneak on liquor now hurt everyone else.

Regarding the toilet paper just double it use more lol I use charman and yes, I have to agree the toilet paper is very fine, perhaps a reason so it doesn't clog in the toilet but nobody is telling you how much to use lol

Found this on Wiki: In many modern boats, the heads look similar to seated flush toilets but use a system of valves and pumps that brings sea water into the toilet and pumps the waste out through the hull in place of the more normal cistern and plumbing trap to a drain. In small boats the pump is often hand operated. The cleaning mechanism is easily blocked if too much toilet paper or other fibrous material is put down the pan.

As per Pet Peeves:

1. Unattended children.

2. Chogs

3. The expectation that CCL, their employees, and affiliates are soley responsible for me having all my cruise expectations met.

4. I want to embark on the ship as soon as I can, but want to stay on the ship as long as I can (After all this is MY vacation!) :p

5. People that nosh while in the buffet line

6. An empty cocktail glass

Why does nobody consider the possibility of stepping outside of the room and asking people politely to move to their conversation because you're trying to sleep? Carnival can't be everywhere at all times on the ship. Seems like it would result in more immediate gratification.

Yeah try that. We did with a bunch of 20 somethings who for 2 nights kept "partying" in the hall outside our door starting around 2:00 a.m. The second night we politely asked if they could just keep it down a little? We were polite and not bitchy in our request. Half hour later someone beat on our door and yelled "This quiet enough for you ?" We didn't respond. Then about every hour someone beat on the door and yelled. We were very near the elevators so they had a quick exit so we could never catch them. The 4th night we called for security. Carnival did nothing to try to stop it and they never called to see if it had stopped. This all went on at all hours. So don't just suggest that a polite conversation will work. In our case it only exaserbated the situation.

Yeah try that. We did with a bunch of 20 somethings who for 2 nights kept "partying" in the hall outside our door starting around 2:00 a.m. The second night we politely asked if they could just keep it down a little? We were polite and not bitchy in our request. Half hour later someone beat on our door and yelled "This quiet enough for you ?" We didn't respond. Then about every hour someone beat on the door and yelled. We were very near the elevators so they had a quick exit so we could never catch them. The 4th night we called for security. Carnival did nothing to try to stop it and they never called to see if it had stopped. This all went on at all hours. So don't just suggest that a polite conversation will work. In our case it only exaserbated the situation.

Because obviously your experience once is indicative of the norm

We actually bring a few rolls of our favorite TP with us each cruise 😆😆

Nothing worse than harsh, rough TP lol

We did once too, until our cabin steward told us that high quality toilet paper was terrible for the ship's plumbing, which is the reason for the super thin toilet paper. He asked that we stop using it immediately or run the risk of plumbing issues. It had never occurred to me before that, so we removed it immediately.

We actually bring a few rolls of our favorite TP with us each cruise

Your favorite TP could clog the ships delicate vacuum system, not in your bathroom , but down the line where you wouldn't know it. That's why ships have their own brand of quick dissolve TP. :eek:

Edited by jimdalva

I gave up trying to find a norm of human behavior on Carnival long ago. I took that post as a cautionary tale and not "one size fits all" advice.

I second that. I also could provide cautionary tales of rude, obnoxious, vulgar, and threatening behaviour from fellow cruisers that I myself and/or friends and family have experienced.

I would be very hesitant to personally confront people in such situations. Not everybody is an obnoxious jerk, but there are plenty of them out there, and they often travel in packs. It's quite possible the offenders that you (hotsauce126) suggest we (politely) confront are just such jerks.

It's not, as you (hotsauce126) suggest, that "nobody has considered the possibility" of confronting these people. It's, in my case and that of many others, that we have decided it is better not to, and to let the Carnival security team do their job.;)

I gave up trying to find a norm of human behavior on Carnival long ago. I took that post as a cautionary tale and not "one size fits all" advice.

Variety is the spice of life...I love that everyone is different, makes people watching even better :)!

We actually bring a few rolls of our favorite TP with us each cruise 😆😆

Just make sure that paper you bring is marine biodegradable

there is a reason ships use that special thin type of paper.

A flush is done with vacuum and very little water.

regular paper will very easily back up there system

How about enforce every single rule they have in every single instance without fail, no exceptions. If they don't intend on actually enforcing the policy, then do away with it. If it's outdated or what have you, then get rid of it. But what is the point in having rules of they are treated more as "guidelines"?

Agreed; better to have fewer rules than are enforced than a lot of "guidelines"