No Embarkation Lunch in the MDR

lastlook

So disappointing to hear - it was a civilized start (and it is still on the list of Mariner benefits.) One of those touches that set HAL apart from other lines.

We met another couple in the MDR on embarkation day five years ago before a 21-day crossing, and have kept in touch ever since, even planned cruises together.

Sorry, the Lido is not the same!

Yes, yes, for sure.

Lunch on the ship? OR

Lunch in Venice?

Is there any question? :D :D

Of course, go ashore and spend as much time as possible in Venice. One of my favorite places on earth.

Thanks Sails!

Venice is one of our favorite places too!

Any cruises in your future? I was so happy that you cruised with friends not too long ago.

Hope 2016 will be a wonderful year for you!

Love all of your posts!

One of my fav CCers!

Denise :)

Lizzie68,

Just read your quote to my DH!

He agrees with you, and our next cruise just might be our last for awhile. We have plans on checking out Oceania, and others. We loved that aaaaahhhhh feeling once on board and relaxing in the MDR with a fine glass of wine!

We will be on The Eurodam in Oct, and will do embarkation have a cocktail, and go back into Venice for a wonderful lunch and enjoy the ambiance instead of the crowds at the lido!

Be VERY, VERY careful on what you check out. It sounds like things are back together on O, but, in all honesty, I would go to straight luxury. O's brochures are lovely, but they didn't deliver what they promised. We had better service on HAL on our cruise in a lot of areas. Sad statement no? and a VERY expensive lesson. Just my experience and we did pay the price.

We do like the MDR on embarkation day but we have missed it on numerous occasions (too late, etc - not because there wasn't one).

Our solution - go to the Lido, get what you want and bring it back to the cabin and avoid the hustle and bustle. Other times, it can be fun to watch it.

Hoping it is open on April 2nd ;)

Be VERY, VERY careful on what you check out. It sounds like things are back together on O, but, in all honesty, I would go to straight luxury. O's brochures are lovely, but they didn't deliver what they promised. We had better service on HAL on our cruise in a lot of areas. Sad statement no? and a VERY expensive lesson. Just my experience and we did pay the price.

Jacqui,

Just got our email from regent cruises!

40 day sail airfare, all meaning everything from dry leaning, wifi, all liquor as well as all excursion, pre and post hotel, pickup from your house to airport,as well as baggage pickup and delivery for 2017. All staterooms getting this 40 days New Zealand to Hong Kong. Thank you for your honesty to Oz!

Jacqui,

Just got our email from regent cruises!

40 day sail airfare, all meaning everything from dry leaning, wifi, all liquor as well as all excursion, pre and post hotel, pickup from your house to airport,as well as baggage pickup and delivery for 2017. All staterooms getting this 40 days New Zealand to Hong Kong. Thank you for your honesty to Oz!

Gosh! Typing too fast! Not Oz, but Jacqui!

Denise:(

Thanks Sails!

Venice is one of our favorite places too!

Any cruises in your future? I was so happy that you cruised with friends not too long ago.

Hope 2016 will be a wonderful year for you!

Love all of your posts!

One of my fav CCers!

You are so thoughtful, Denise. Thank you. :)

My friends invited me to sail again with them and I am seriously thinking about it. I probably will go with them.

On our Dec 3 Embarkation Day aboard the Rotterdam, lunch was served in the MDR until 2pm. It was open to all passengers. There were 6 port days when the MDR was closed at lunchtime, but otherwise lunch was served in the MDR from 12-1pm on our 17 Day Sailing.

Lizzie68,

Just read your quote to my DH!

He agrees with you, and our next cruise just might be our last for awhile. We have plans on checking out Oceania, and others. We loved that aaaaahhhhh feeling once on board and relaxing in the MDR with a fine glass of wine!

We will be on The Eurodam in Oct, and will do embarkation have a cocktail, and go back into Venice for a wonderful lunch and enjoy the ambiance instead of the crowds at the lido!

We had an experience on Oceania that was opposite to Kazu's. We absolutely loved it, felt it was well worth the extra cost, and decided to stick with O from then on. Unfortunately my husband has decided to no longer travel, so no more O trips for me, but I am going back to HAL for the VOV. Venice is one of my favorite places too!

We had an experience on Oceania that was opposite to Kazu's. We absolutely loved it, felt it was well worth the extra cost, and decided to stick with O from then on. Unfortunately my husband has decided to no longer travel, so no more O trips for me, but I am going back to HAL for the VOV. Venice is one of my favorite places too!

I'm available and I'll be your butler and carry your suitcases etc :D. I know several people that have sailed with Oceania and have absolutely loved it.

HAL's current Mariner benefits page states only a Welcome RECEPTION 2-3 pm. :(

So that is fleet-wide. It would be nice if HAL would have had the courtesy to notify their loyal customers about the reason. Knowing WHY often mitigates disappointment.... The new management seems surprisingly and sadly clueless about PR--with little regard for their highest-level cruisers.

Our 41-day April-May Zuiderdam B2B2B has great ports--so we're still staying optimistic that one of our two favorites lines isn't going downhill. And we know the crew works so hard to please.

QUESTION:
What about the SEA-DAY Mariner Luncheon? I don't see THAT on the new benefits page either. :eek:

Happy new year,
Mary-Lou