Triumph Oct 20 2016 - now chartered

hlb76

Just got a letter from CCL saying our cruise is canceled due it being now Chartered. This is horrible news for is as we have so much already booked and now back to the drawing board. It's super hard to find a time where my youngest does not miss a bunch of school and this was the perfect fit. Top it off this was our Christmas gift to my oldest and his family. I'm so very sad

1452558876041.jpg.76eee00802c31fef40c6c404acc55027.jpg

I'm looking now. It was just perfect we could spend 2 days pre cruise exploring Nola. Already booked rooms for $75 a night - killer deal! Then cruise for 4 days. All of this and my son misses 1 day of school. Now everything we find he misses 2 or more.

Wow that really stinks! I wish they would give you the option to still sail, or at least give you a better "sorry prize" than a measly $25 obc. Would be nice if Carnival wouldn't do this for cruises that people have already booked, it's a quick way to lose a customer IMO.

Welcome to the world of full ship charters, folks. The cruise lines make more money off of them, and 9 1/2 months is not late in the game.

However, the compensation of $25 OBC is a joke! Shame on Carnival.

Ships typically charter at a daily rate, say $1 million per day (depending on ship). Then whoever is chartering the ship either has to sell the cabins to the group, or just pick up the tab themselves, and everyone sails for free, although drink and other on board purchases will be at the cruiser's expense.

Think of this: "Gigantic Corporation" decides it wants its best employees on an "incentive / reward" cruise for 7 nights. The company has profits north of $2 billion a year. So what does $7 million mean to them- nothing.

With a charter it is sure money for the cruise line. No price drops to deal with, no OBC, no nothing. Easy money. Who can blame them?

Welcome to the world of full ship charters, folks. The cruise lines make more money off of them, and 9 1/2 months is not late in the game.

However, the compensation of $25 OBC is a joke! Shame on Carnival.

Ships typically charter at a daily rate, say $1 million per day (depending on ship). Then whoever is chartering the ship either has to sell the cabins to the group, or just pick up the tab themselves, and everyone sails for free, although drink and other on board purchases will be at the cruiser's expense.

Think of this: "Gigantic Corporation" decides it wants its best employees on an "incentive / reward" cruise for 7 nights. The company has profits north of $2 billion a year. So what does $7 million mean to them- nothing.

With a charter it is sure money for the cruise line. No price drops to deal with, no OBC, no nothing. Easy money. Who can blame them?

It's not always "Big Corporations" taking employees. I had my Celebrity Silhouette cruise yanked out from under me when it was chartered by "Coachella". I think you will find more of these types of charters than Corporations.

I'm glad we found out now vs sooner. It's just very stressful trying to replan for a party of 8 when I had things bought and booked as it was a Christmas gift. I know anything can and will happen. The $25 OBC is major salt in the wound if you ask me. All the work I already did and will have to redo and I'm not comming out ahead. I already had OBC banked. We will have a wonderful time no matter what. Just stinks when we had so much planned and paid in advance.

I found out about mine I think it was July and I was cruising in December. On top of that, Celebrity didn't call or email me - people were talking about it on my roll call in on here! Thank goodness I saw it and called immediately because we had 2 connecting Concierge Class hump balconies - those that are familiar with Celebrity will understand what I mean :D

They gave us $100pp OBC, let us keep our rate for another sailing (there were a select few to choose from), and would have paid the airline change fees (just the change fee - not the difference in airfare). Luckily I didn't have that booked yet so it wasn't an issue. Ended up working out better in the end because we went on the then brand new Reflection instead of the year old Silhouette.

Wow that really stinks! I wish they would give you the option to still sail, or at least give you a better "sorry prize" than a measly $25 obc. Would be nice if Carnival wouldn't do this for cruises that people have already booked, it's a quick way to lose a customer IMO.

Is there ever a cruise that no one has booked?:rolleyes: It's a 4 day cruise, so why is OBC bad? It's still over 9 months away. What is the charter, anyone know?

Well we rebooked. Moved to a 5 day out of Orlando on the Valor. It will work out but still not happy. The compensation was a joke. Even our PVP said so. He said he has never seen a ship become charted in less than a years notice.

Sorry your plans were disrupted :( $25 OBC seems slightly insulting. I hope you still have a good time on your newly booked cruise.

Well we rebooked. Moved to a 5 day out of Orlando on the Valor. It will work out but still not happy. The compensation was a joke. Even our PVP said so. He said he has never seen a ship become charted in less than a years notice.

Same thing happened to us for our 10/20/16 Sensation cruise. We also booked the week before since the dates aligned perfectly with the school break and allowed us to book our first B2B. Ended up canceling the whole thing. I don't know what is going on that week that these ships are being chartered but I am not happy with Carnival right now.

Just got a letter from CCL saying our cruise is canceled due it being now Chartered. This is horrible news for is as we have so much already booked and now back to the drawing board. It's super hard to find a time where my youngest does not miss a bunch of school and this was the perfect fit. Top it off this was our Christmas gift to my oldest and his family. I'm so very sad

Yes, $25 OBC per person is insulting. My PVP was able to get them to waive the increased deposit for the cruise we rebooked. I swear she is the only thing that keeps us with Carnival.

Sorry your plans were disrupted :( $25 OBC seems slightly insulting. I hope you still have a good time on your newly booked cruise.
Edited by saharaga

Last year we were booked on a Dec 3 Paradise cruise ex Tampa and we received noticed it was Chartered / Cancelled on June 3rd.

They also offered $25 OBC / person - and when pushed they also covered the airline change fees since we had to change our airfare to Miami.

It worked out in the end, but it was definitely annoying to have to change our plans!

Good luck!

Jenn

I would call Carnival back and ask for a supervisor and try to get more OBC. Tell them it cost you more than that just to change other plans. They may say no but they may say yes!