More changes to Bistro on 5?

NCNina

I have generally defended Bistro and given it a pass. But I feel so little attention is given to it, it maybe on its way out. The menu was hit and miss last month, somethings as good as we remembered, somethings less so, and some items I wish i didn't order. The salads and desert crepes were good and an occasionally daily special.

I am not that thrilled with sushi on a ship, it would have to be rather high end to get our attention, and they just don't have enough extra staff I feel.

Loved Bistro on 5 in the past

This eclipse sailing

Corn soup very good but

Mediterranean crepe Chicken greasy and grizzly

Waitstaff offered replacement - service was fine

Had good choc cake instead

Won't be paying again

But it's ok spa cafe so good salads, broccoli mushroom quiche, frozen yogurt & chicken salad & breadsticks delicious

Buffet is improved this trip it seems

Next sea day MDR lunch or poolside hamburger and hot dogs for us

Sailed Eclipse last month, Bistro was $10 and was quite busy most days. We had the Ultimate package so we usually took lunch there everyday for free. If sushi is added to the menu I expect it will be at an extra cost, like the 24 day cured steaks in Tuscan, and now their antipasta course which now costs an extra $11pp.

That was number of years ago when it was $5, it is two different times and also two different menu items.

That is like going to your local supermarket and saying, 'on the last shop, I bought mince for $4/kg and now your steak is $14/kg'.

I was clarifying the math for someone not stating an opinion.

Gastropub on EQ was mostly dead. Nice comfy quiet place to read during the day...except when the games were on, .then very active Menu was wierd and did not appeal to us ...all a la carte food and the space was like a college rathskellar. Liked it better as a wine bar but without it ship lacks a sports bar.which is in demand ...maybe a better menu would help!

I think Gastrobar COULD work very well with younger passengers, but it seems like they've got the execution wrong. The a la carte menu needs to go if they want people to eat full meals there. A reasonable cover charge (i.e., no more than $10pp) for a "meals" menu (with burgers, fish and chips, shepherd's pie, etc.) would likely do better - then they could offer shareable snacks/small plates a la carte to encourage people to come in between meals. And obviously, they would need to offer a good selection of craft beer and some interesting cocktails as well! I'd like to see this put in the Bistro space and simply have Cellarmasters revamped into a better wine bar!

No surprise. We have dined in the Bistro numerous times. Usually on formal evenings when we wore casual clothing. We liked it because the food did not taste like it came out of the same kitchen. We find that the food all starts to taste the same after 10 days or so.

What always surprised us was how empty the Bistro always was. Mind you the food and the service was always very good. We found that there were more staff members eating dinner than there were patrons. And even then 3/4 of the tables were empty.

Much as we like we understand that Celebrity cannot devote so much floor space to an area that had so little traffic and appeared to generate so little revenue. We have expected change for some time.

we tried the Bistro on the Summit for the first time this past December. had some of that OBC to use and thought why not. at 6:30pm we were the only ones there and the meal exceeded our expectations. they had a special each night, but the cesaer salad with the grilled shrimp is what brought us back several more times. I did have one of the dinner crepes and several desert crepes and watched him prepare the crepes fresh. Now, alas if what is being stated is true, no need to go back if sushi is the offering. now if they had a Mexican food station, but then again I don't think I'd pay $ 10 or even $ 15 for it though

Not a fan of sushi, but I assume they would have additional offerings, which might make it more universally appealing.

My problem is with the increase to $15 per person. If they were to offer a limited Qsine-like menu at lunchtime, it would make for an interesting opportunity, and worth the increase.

Celebrity's problem is this: most people will not want sushi, period. They will not come. Sushi lovers will not come for low-quality sushi. If the sushi is high quality, sushi lovers will eat far more than $15 worth if it is on a fixed price basis. So if they are going to have a sushi bar, it will have to be a la carte for Celebrity to come out on it.

Anyone that frequents good Sushi restaurants, knows that fresh fish is most important factor. I don't eat Sushi while at sea. And probably there are many more that would agree with me.

Most fish used to make sushi and sashimi is flash frozen - even in Japan. :rolleyes:

Celebrity's problem is this: most people will not want sushi, period. They will not come. Sushi lovers will not come for low-quality sushi. If the sushi is high quality, sushi lovers will eat far more than $15 worth if it is on a fixed price basis. So if they are going to have a sushi bar, it will have to be a la carte for Celebrity to come out on it.

That being said RCI offer Izumis - a Japanese/sushimi Japanese restaurant that receives rave reviews and extremely popular.

It's also offered on other cruise lines, I believe Carnival have implemented it on some of thief ships. Now I'd pass in any case but there is a good chance these venues can have a good to excellent quality offering. We shouldn't be too quick to criticise a venue that is still only speculation on any case [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most fish used to make sushi and sashimi is flash frozen - even in Japan. :rolleyes:
Shh. Don't spoil the beliefs of the pseudo sushi experts .

Sailed Eclipse last month, Bistro was $10 and was quite busy most days. We had the Ultimate package so we usually took lunch there everyday for free. If sushi is added to the menu I expect it will be at an extra cost, like the 24 day cured steaks in Tuscan, and now their antipasta course which now costs an extra $11pp.
Perfect example of the the attempts Celebrity has gone to in trying to fill this waste of space . Why not charge $25 PP and those with the Ultimate package will really be saving money .:D
2 things that fascinate me about this thread:

1. Seeing a large number of posters lamenting the demise of Bistro is completely incongruous with the large number of posts which suggest Bistro is lousy and virtually empty most of the time.

The real joke is that even the "lamenters" will tell you it was empty .

I totally agree.

And I really enjoyed the pizza and food choices on my recent Regal cruise, too. Not only do they have Alfredo's, a no-fee Italian eatery, but also offered a really good pub lunch in the Wheelhouse bar on sea days. The fact that cabin on-demand tv's offered almost 25 movies for free was awesome, too...not that that has anything to do with Bistro on 5...but sure wish Celebrity would follow suit. ;)

Also agree . Add to this the offerings in the International Cafe and you have excellent options without being nickle and dimed .

I was Japan this past summer, and did a tour of the largest fish market in Tokyo. We were told that fine dining restaurants, only use fresh fish for sushi and sashimi. Amazingly, the whole market had no "fishy" smell. Fresh fish at it's finest.

I was Japan this past summer, and did a tour of the largest fish market in Tokyo. We were told that fine dining restaurants, only use fresh fish for sushi and sashimi. Amazingly, the whole market had no "fishy" smell. Fresh fish at it's finest.

I should hope that they use fresh fish, using old rotten fish would be terrible.

BTW, the cynic in me thinks 'The market selling fresh fish advises that fresh fish is best' what a surprise.:cool:

I'll miss Bistro on 5 for embarkation day. Even tho the service has always been somewhat spotty our food was always good (but usually really slow). I grumbled when it went to $10; I won't pay $15. I love good sushi (lived in Japan for 3 years) -- don't like Silk Harvest at all & meh on buffet sushi. Guess I'll have to find a new place for embarkation lunch if this is, in fact, going to be true

Perhaps this will help....from the US FDA

Freezing

3-402.11 Parasite Destruction.

(A) Except as specified in (B) of this section, before service or sale in ready-to-eat form, raw, raw-marinated, partially cooked, or marinated-partially cooked fish shall be:

(1) Frozen and stored at a temperature of -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 168 hours (7 days) in a freezer; P

(2) Frozen at -35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and stored at -35°C (-31°F) or below for a minimum of 15 hours; P or

(3) Frozen at -35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and stored at -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 24 hours. P

(B) Paragraph (A) of this section does not apply to:

(1) Molluscan shellfish;

(2) Tuna of the species Thunnus alalunga, Thunnus albacares (Yellowfin tuna), Thunnus atlanticus, Thunnus maccoyii (Bluefin tuna, Southern), Thunnus obesus (Bigeye tuna), or Thunnus thynnus (Bluefin tuna, Northern); or

(3) Aquacultured fish, such as salmon, that:

(a) If raised in open water, are raised in net-pens, or

(b) Are raised in land-based operations such as ponds or tanks, and

© Are fed formulated feed, such as pellets, that contains no live parasites infective to the aquacultured fish.

(4) Fish eggs that have been removed from the skein and rinsed.

3-402.12 Records, Creation and Retention.

(A) Except as specified in 3-402.11(B) and (B) of this section, if raw, raw-marinated, partially cooked, or marinated-partially cooked fish are served or sold in ready-to-eat form, the person in charge shall record the freezing temperature and time to which the fish are subjected and shall retain the records of the food establishment for 90 calendar days beyond the time of service or sale of the fish. Pf

(B) If the fish are frozen by a supplier, a written agreement or statement from the supplier stipulating that the fish supplied are frozen to a temperature and for a time specified under 3-402.11 may substitute for the records specified under (A) of this section.

© If raw, raw-marinated, partially cooked, or marinated-partially cooked fish are served or sold in ready-to-eat form, and the fish are raised and fed as specified in Subparagraph 3-402.11(B)(3), a written agreement or statement from the supplier or aquaculturist stipulating that the fish were raised and fed as specified in Subparagraph 3-402.11(B)(3) shall be obtained by the person in charge and retained in the records of the food establishment for 90 calendar days beyond the time of service or sale of the fish. Pf

3-403.10 Preparation for Immediate Service.

Cooked and refrigerated food that is prepared for immediate service in response to an individual consumer order, such as a roast beef sandwich au jus, may be served at any temperature.

Well! I'VE heard (from a wholly unreliable source) that, on Elegant Chic nights, it will be magically transformed into a den of iniquity with ALL manner of illicit substances on offer! There'll be elegant chics for all (Premium Package required) and those in suites can request one be sent discreetly to their room! Designer Jean labels will be inspected for authenticity prior to entry - passengers in knock-offs will be turned away and asked to report to the maitre d' in Blu. The first 50 customers each evening will receive lip balm.

You were misled . Tuna arguably the preeminent sushi fish is always frozen . It was caught weeks (months) before around the world and properly frozen . Other species of fish and seafood are overwhelmingly frozen . Amusingly your best chance for never frozen is farmed seafood which has a bad reputation as being inferior .

Well! I'VE heard (from a wholly unreliable source) that, on Elegant Chic nights, it will be magically transformed into a den of iniquity with ALL manner of illicit substances on offer! There'll be elegant chics for all (Premium Package required) and those in suites can request one be sent discreetly to their room! Designer Jean labels will be inspected for authenticity prior to entry - passengers in knock-offs will be turned away and asked to report to the maitre d' in Blu. The first 50 customers each evening will receive lip balm.

PMSL [emoji13]. Probably about just as likely to happen as this speculated change ! But I so want one of those lip balms [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on the overwhelming positive feedback of using Bistro on 5 from suite guests who choose to dine on board when the ship is in port when Luminae isn't open, Bistro on 5 will be fully dedicated to suite passengers. The new format will have small tables with an additional chair next to each table so that their personal butler can sit, waiting to handle any requests, just in case the bistro staff is busy. The new slogan for the restaurant will be "no wait while you gain weight"

Celebrity's new advertising campaign will feature the new Bistro on 5 and maitre d's will be selected from all those employees on board name Marco. Each meal will be prepared tableside from the freshest ingredients...in fact fish will be brought to the table live and cleaned in front of your eyes prior to cooking. But wait, there's more. For those desiring an egg dish, a hen will be brought to the table to lay your personal eggs. Celebrity...modern luxury.....Polo.

Edited by ghstudio