Beward of Terminal 29 at Ft. Lauderdale

HokiePoq

We just got home last night so I apologize if someone has covered this already...don't see it on first page, anyway. Anyone with any physical problem needs to be aware of what can happen at Terminal 29.

Due to a large number of ships in port on Jan. 2, the Equinox had to dock at Terminal 29. I did not know what this meant although I should have asked when someone on roll call posted a frowning face when it was mentioned before we left.

There is no place to sit down for those who need to. The most strenuous thing I did was stand for three hours before finally getting to our room. This caused a lot of foot pain which continued for over half the cruise.

This could also be a problem for diabetics as a fellow behind us in line was getting lightheaded. No one expected to be in that line until 2:30. We'd lined up at 11:30. Our travel friends who had not sailed X before got through the line at the same time we did in the select-elite line. There were way too few people checking in passengers.

There were conflicting rumors but no official comment regarding the cause for this...delayed disembarkation, fault of the terminal, computer failure. There were no announcements or apologies until after many of us complained. Then a letter appeared in everyone's room. I received a call saying the same thing in response to my letter of complaint. At the very least there should have been chairs available as it was known ahead of time that the terminal had none. I will think twice about cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale on X. No problems there when sailing on other lines in the past.

Disembarkation was at Terminal 18 with no problems other than for those who parked near Terminal 29. A shuttle was provided. I do not know how this worked as we caught a shuttle back to our hotel.

Edited by HokiePoq

The issues at Fort Lauderdale are not the fault of X. They do not choose which terminal to dock and they do not handle the checking in or other port staff. Staff is local for checking you in, handling luggage etc.

With up to 6 ships a day! it takes time as every passenger arriving on every ship needs to be cleared by Customs and Immigration. With the current World situation the Customs people are looking more carefully than before and increasing screening procedures. I agree that your situation was unfortunate, but you arrived at absolutely the wrong time as most try to board before lunch. Mornings are truly a crush. Just think of the port trying to clear some 15000 passengers on and off. Arriving after lunch - say 1:30 - makes for usually much shorter lines and faster boarding.

Celebrity have to use that area over the weekend as Oasis and Allure tie up the other new RCCL terminal at the weekend. It has been a nightmare on every cruise we have done from Fort Lauderdale and no doubt will continue to be so until it is redeveloped. You embark at terminal 28 but that cannot handle a disembark and a disembark on the one day so you disembark through 29.

Last year was our first through Miami which was great, no issues. This year after the Eclipse we have to travel up to the Silhouette in FL on a Sunday. Will be the same as ever. You either get off first or wait till the end. Waiting doesn't solve it as they just keep adding to the queue.

We boarded the Equinox the same day as OP. I believe we arrived at Port around 11am. We waited in line about an hour. It was slow according to people around us. We were concierge level with some sort of expedited or priority embarkation but line didn't divide until through security. I never once thought it was Celebrity fault or workers in port. Part of issue is people acting like the hAve not been through security before, not having ID ready, dragging full size suitcases which should have been left on dock through, carrying chairs and other things through, etc.

Celebrity profusely apologized. Muster drill took a long time because of delay getting passengers on. We witnessed several rude people yelling at bartender because he wouldn't serve them. This was after he was informed to close bar because of drill.

Debarkation was smooth on the 11th. If you follow directions and procedures. We knew to line up early, by informing ourselves ahead of time and asking where to line up at guest relations. This was our first cruise in 23 years, it was fantastic.

We witnessed people yelling at guest relations for things they had no control over, being rude and saving chairs for hours on end, treating staff like they were lower class etc.

Heard there was a fight over a table at the buffet one afternoon.

Think informing yourself, being prepared and kind goes a long way.

We boarded the Equinox the same day as OP. I believe we arrived at Port around 11am. We waited in line about an hour. It was slow according to people around us. We were concierge level with some sort of expedited or priority embarkation but line didn't divide until through security. I never once thought it was Celebrity fault or workers in port. Part of issue is people acting like the hAve not been through security before, not having ID ready, dragging full size suitcases which should have been left on dock through, carrying chairs and other things through, etc.

Celebrity profusely apologized. Muster drill took a long time because of delay getting passengers on. We witnessed several rude people yelling at bartender because he wouldn't serve them. This was after he was informed to close bar because of drill.

Debarkation was smooth on the 11th. If you follow directions and procedures. We knew to line up early, by informing ourselves ahead of time and asking where to line up at guest relations. This was our first cruise in 23 years, it was fantastic.

We witnessed people yelling at guest relations for things they had no control over, being rude and saving chairs for hours on end, treating staff like they were lower class etc.

Disgraceful behaviour. Maybe this is what Celebrity mean when they say Modern Luxury.

It was the behavior of few that seemed to be bad. We met many kind people, several cruse critic people who were so kind.

I find it hard in this day and age how rude some people treat others, talk down to them and act better. Also, lack of knowledge on how to travel is inexcusable. All the information is available.

I am thankful for all the information we found here. Everyone we dealt with at all levels were fantastic. Everyone smiled and said hi from employees to fellow cruisers, except a few who would look down on everyone has happy cruises.

Modern Luxury does not seem like an appropriate theme for Celebrity at this time. Good cruise value but not luxury.

I totally agree. When we first started cruising with Celebrity in 2005 (Century) we thought it was a cut above our previous cruises on Princess, NCL and Costa. Although I know we will enjoy our Baltic Cruise in July on the Eclipse, I don't feel that Celebrity nowadays are anything other than a mainstream Cruiseline.

When did you receive a profuse apology? Are you talking about the letter everyone got in their room? That came only after many people complained.

Glad you had an easy get on. The Concierge line was empty a very long time before we got through the line.

Just what are you saying I should have informed myself about? We took the first available shuttle from our hotel. My cruise ticket said to come between 12 and 3. We got there at 11:30. What should I have done differently? Are you saying I was not kind and that is the cause of my waiting in line for three hours and suffering a week of pain from the experience?

I hope you are referring to something else, because everyone in our party was courteous including me.

The issues at Fort Lauderdale are not the fault of X. They do not choose which terminal to dock and they do not handle the checking in or other port staff. Staff is local for checking you in, handling luggage etc.

With up to 6 ships a day! it takes time as every passenger arriving on every ship needs to be cleared by Customs and Immigration. With the current World situation the Customs people are looking more carefully than before and increasing screening procedures. I agree that your situation was unfortunate, but you arrived at absolutely the wrong time as most try to board before lunch. Mornings are truly a crush. Just think of the port trying to clear some 15000 passengers on and off. Arriving after lunch - say 1:30 - makes for usually much shorter lines and faster boarding.

I wondered who would be the first to say that. I am not saying X chose the terminal on purpose. Of course not. However, to say they are in no way responsible is incorrect. There should have been many more people checking passengers in. X knew way ahead of time which terminal they would be using and should have had some folding chairs those who needed it could use and perhaps brought out some food for those who were having diabetic problems like the person behind me. My problem is with how the situation was handled, not that the situation occurred which was indeed unfortunate for all except those in expedited lines. Other than a bottle of water being distributed there was no action taken to make a bad situation better. We were once delayed on another line due to a CDC inspection of the ship and examination of every disembarking passenger. Fortunately that terminal in Miami had comfortable chairs to wait in. The line issued immediate profuse apologies over the PA system...and since it was noro involved, gave every passenger a letter offering to cancel their cruise for no penalty. All that happened and we still got on board shortly after noon. On the plus side I don't believe noro hit this cruise.

Edited by HokiePoq

My point in starting this thread was to alert anyone who gets Terminal 29 to be aware of its issues. I was not going in, certainly not by Celebrity. We followed the instructions given on time to arrive. I would have brought a folding cane or chair had I been aware of what was transpiring. Many diabetics carry food with them anyway but I wanted to let those folks know to be sure to do so if in Terminal 29. One cannot count on getting to the buffet in a reasonable amount of time.

Obviously I like Celebrity as we have two more cruises scheduled with them including one booked onboard. We cruise four different lines and each one has its strengths. Most are concerned about improving passenger experiences. Had this been the first time a Celebrity ship had to go out of this terminal, I'd be thinking all was unavoidable. It was not of course and contingency plans should have been made to avoid the debacle many of us experienced.

Thanks to anyone posting positive suggestions to those who have an upcoming cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on Celebrity from terminal 29.

I will go search for my body armor and check back on this thread tomorrow.

OP

My post was a general one about what we experienced. We waited in the main line and then got off in the concierge line 45 minutes into our wait. I have no idea where chairs could have been placed and the line kept moving. I might be mistaken , but I thought at the show the first night or during Capt Leo announcement they apologized also for the situation beside the

In stating people should inform themselves for the embarkation and debarkation they should realize there are lines and waiting. It is bad people had to wait 3 plus hours like you did, it appears this was a port issue not Celebrity. The port appears to have understaffed that day.

I'm sorry if you thought I was directing at you, that was not my intention. Mine was a general ramble on how people need to know what to expect, being prepared for an easy embarkation and Debarkation but knowing the wait could be long.

If the people did nothing to assist the medical needs of the diabetic behind you, that is inexcusable. Did that person relay issues to anyone, ask for good, etc

You are an example of one heck of a forgiving person and maybe you don't realize how YOU got on the ship really fast compared to those who are told by Celebrity to arrive at 1PM on their cruise documents.

THOSE people were some we talked to waited for over 2 and almost 3 hrs to board.

We arrived around 11:30 because of heavy traffic backed up on the one lane road going into the port. When we finally got to the head of the AquaClass line we had to wait another 1/2 hr. for the people to sort out problems with their equiment.

While the port may not be Celebrity's fault as you point out, it IS the Captain and Celebrity's fault to not notify everyone to report to the muster drill later than instructed in the onboard notices in the stateroom and in the daily schedule. THEY KNEW that many would not be able to board on time and they had people standing all around the ship for 1 hr past the scheduled time for the murderously boring muster drill that also had commercial messages about Celebrity's environmental policies.

When I got up out of my seat to give it to a woman with a foot problem following recent surgery, one officer put his hand on my shoulder and notified me that I could not leave the room...........until I notified him why I had the audacity to get out of my seat.

Celebrity...........this was a SAD performance and should never be repeated, especially when the Captain caused additional stress by not delaying muster.

So sorry to hear that happened to you. Not a great way to start off your vacation. Hope all got better from that point on.

thanks for the warning ... we are sailing on the Equinox out of Ft Lauderdale this spring. We will definitely make note of what pier we will be using for embarkation and it will make a difference on what time we arrive at the pier.

thanks again for the info! I find it very helpful.

We were also on the 1/2 EQ...worst ever embarkation...

We drove to the port...arrived around 10:40...long line to drop luggage...law enf were just figuring out traffic flow to drop luggage...very dangerous . Dropped luggage, then had to drive in heavy traffic to midport garage...then onto the shutle with our carryons...back in original long traffic snarl to get on check in line...

Long lines..hot sun...luckily a Celeb rep asked for AQ or E + , and eventually brought us inside the building...very long line again but at least we were inside... took about 3 hrs..ironically the rep who checked us in did not put our credit card on file...a mistake we discovered accidentally on our own..otherwise getting off the ship would have been an even worse headache! When we resolved it, we were told..these things happen sometimes! Yeesh!

The whole system was overwhelmed..we received 3 sep stock letters of apology..diff dates, same story...

Self disembark also a misery.,..a rep lined us up facing the wrong way so those who were first were last...but lines were much longer as time went by...NO communication or line control by X as folks cut ahead etc... when we were let off at a diff pier ..in the middle of nowhere, we had to board a shuttle to mid port garage... immigration was smooth but not Celebrity!

warning... for safety reasons you will need one hand free to use the escalators...otherwise line up for the elev..luckily we had a free hand!

Fortunately we enjoyed the cruise itself but Celeb needs way more staff for line control, check in, etc. and to better organize the disembark as well...much better communication also needed.. they blew this one on both ends

Edited by hcat

Hokie Poq? Terrible debarkation at terminal 29. What ship were you on? We are doing Celebrity Sihouette in Feb. and hope it's not terminal 29; Last year we were on Celebrity Equinox and the worst debarkation ever. Just came off ALlure and fast and smooth. If the largest ship can do this; maybe Celebrity needs to take a few lessons.

OP

My post was a general one about what we experienced. We waited in the main line and then got off in the concierge line 45 minutes into our wait. I have no idea where chairs could have been placed and the line kept moving. I might be mistaken , but I thought at the show the first night or during Capt Leo announcement they apologized also for the situation beside the

In stating people should inform themselves for the embarkation and debarkation they should realize there are lines and waiting. It is bad people had to wait 3 plus hours like you did, it appears this was a port issue not Celebrity. The port appears to have understaffed that day.

I'm sorry if you thought I was directing at you, that was not my intention. Mine was a general ramble on how people need to know what to expect, being prepared for an easy embarkation and Debarkation but knowing the wait could be long.

If the people did nothing to assist the medical needs of the diabetic behind you, that is inexcusable. Did that person relay issues to anyone, ask for good, etc

They did not ask for help. The wife was very concerned and once we finally got to the front where we could see the desk tried to get him to let her buy him something out of the vending machine that just came into view. He chose to wait as by that time we were five minutes away from the registration. That was also the time I could see the restroom at the front of the room. Things could have been worse if that hadn't been there, lol. Outside a sign said "restrooms upstairs" but one would have had to leave the line and look for one.

Those of us on CC have a source of info. Most standing there depend on X and their agents. However we did not learn of the change until right before we left and had no idea of its significance.

Thanks for clarifying your comments.

Hokie Poq? Terrible debarkation at terminal 29. What ship were you on? We are doing Celebrity Sihouette in Feb. and hope it's not terminal 29; Last year we were on Celebrity Equinox and the worst debarkation ever. Just came off ALlure and fast and smooth. If the largest ship can do this; maybe Celebrity needs to take a few lessons.

Equinox. Ours was an embarkation problem at 29. Did the Equinox have to use 29 for debarkation the time you had a bad experience? That is interesting about your experience. Our debarkation was okay but we packed light and we able to roll our own suitcases off. We debarked from one of the regular terminals. There were more ships than usual on Jan. 2 perhaps due to it being part of a holiday weekend. I hope you get one of the regular terminals.

The obvious solution to the problem was to have had more employees checking people in on our embarkation day. This is a Celebrity issue, not the port. Getting the undesirable terminal may be the port's fault...someone has to get it when it's crowded, I'm sure. Not coping with it ahead of time is the issue. Thanks for your comments.

Edited by HokiePoq

Yes it was 29 and really do believe the story we were told; not Celebrity fault but one has to be prepared to know that they always use docks 21- 29 and if too many ships in and you get the furthest one; there's only so many customs officiers on that day and they will eventually get to the ship that arrived last which in Celebrity case; might have to use terminal 29. Reason; you should never book a early flight. Yes it was a long debarkation but one must be prepared for the unknown when travelling and honestly didn't have any sympathy for those trying to catch early cheaper flights like at 9:30 or 10. It's a gamble if you book an early flight. One never knows when their might be ties ups. This last cruise on RC; we were all ready to depart express walk off; and customs went through the list and wanted to see about 12 people ; of course, many weren't in express walk off's; probably still in bed so no one could depart until those 12 people showed up and was cleared by customs. Took about 40 min. SO people; don't always blame the cruise line!

They did not ask for help. The wife was very concerned and once we finally got to the front where we could see the desk tried to get him to let her buy him something out of the vending machine that just came into view. He chose to wait as by that time we were five minutes away from the registration. That was also the time I could see the restroom at the front of the room. Things could have been worse if that hadn't been there, lol. Outside a sign said "restrooms upstairs" but one would have had to leave the line and look for one.

Those of us on CC have a source of info. Most standing there depend on X and their agents. However we did not learn of the change until right before we left and had no idea of its significance.

Thanks for clarifying your comments.

That is inexcusable for them not to do anything for him. I apologize again if my comments seemed rude. I relayed our experience. It is sad to see how things went for others. Hopefully the cruise was better after you got on.

Had several bad experiences sailing out of FFL both arriving and returning so after leaving agitated last time there decided will never use them again. Next trip in March is using Miami and will never book a cruise leaving out of FFL.

The port is responsible for the terminal issues. We sailed on Regent two years ago from Ft. Lauderdale and had the exact same experience. The previous Regent Cruise had sailed from South America and customs did not allow passengers to start the disembarkation process until 10:00am. We waited for over two hours in line prior to boarding. Regent was at the mercy of government officials as well as the local terminal operation. The cruise lines don't want their passengers to be subjected to this treatment as the experience was poor for both the disembarking and embarking passengers.

We are sailing on March 27th on the Silhouette. I appreciate the heads up on Terminal 29 given on this thread. I will prepare for the debacle at Terminal 29 and hope that the problem is solved prior to my sailing.

The bigger Royal ships always get the new terminal...it's roomy, many check in lanes and across from midport garage...had that for Oasis..easy on and off

Usually Equinox gets a good berth but holiday schedule changed things...we knew about the changes from a posting on Cruise Critic by someone who had called the port.never got a heads up from Celebrity. Port website also posted a congestion alert for the2 days after we returned!

Not sure which is the worst but Silho came into one which required a very long outdoor trudge just to pick up the luggage...and very small area for taxis and shuttles....

I am youngish and reasonably fit. I stood for nearly two hours to board this ship (being in a Royal Suite was not much help) and walked for the equivalent of a mile (much of it up hill) in November. I am now about to do this with my mother. While I know about the problems of this terminal, many others don't, and this is an important thread to alert them, and to take precautions if necessary (wheelchair, arrive later (I arrived after 1 pm) etc.). Whining this isn't.

Very well said. I experienced this terminal on a back-to-back sailing. We had to disembark, walk about a mile in HUMID weather only to have an agent look at our passport and turn us right around again to walk about a mile back. There were about 20 of us in the group and one gentleman definitely had a problem walking and no assistance was offered. Another woman had asthma and I think she darn near died after that mile walk in humid air. I believe the Celebrity person escorting us off the ship to the agent to look at our passport maybe should have warned all of us about the length of the walk and perhaps offered a few people wheelchair assistance. But that did not happen.