Major snowstorm

Giorgi-one

Would we wise to check the weather for the port of debarkation a week ahead ,at least ,then contact the airline for possible deviations & or have trip insurance that covers the trip interruption part with bad weather conditions ;)

Our first cruise departed on a Saturday from Port Everglades. We had a 9:00am flight out of Philly the Friday before. It started snowing as we were taxiing out to the runway.

When we arrived in FLL the airport was an absolute ZOO. No flights were leaving for the Midwest or North East and a lot of people were stuck there with no way out. It turns out we were one of the last flights to leave the North East that day. When the ship sailed Saturday, leaving 2 hours late to try to give people time to arrive, it was still just over half full.

We have been lucky flying down to FLL in the morning of the day before we sail. This next cruise we are flying down Thursday morning (6:45am flight) for a Saturday departure. We want to be double sure we get there, so if whether is an issue we can just get in the car and drive and still make it!

I sure hope for everyone trying to get away this weekend (and for my Son who has to clear the sidewalks and driveway at home!) that the predictions are just typical TV rating bait hype.

This happened to us on our last cruise. In short, this is why we planned to fly in a few days early.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46033990&postcount=34

But what does the working people do?? I have Trip Insurance and Choice Air but I cannot take Friday off from work!. What happens to the luggage if we get to the airport, check our bags on the flight to Miami and then the flight gets cancelled. Big Deal - Choice Air will fly us to San Juan but how does our luggage get there?

Our first cruise departed on a Saturday from Port Everglades. We had a 9:00am flight out of Philly the Friday before. It started snowing as we were taxiing out to the runway.

When we arrived in FLL the airport was an absolute ZOO. No flights were leaving for the Midwest or North East and a lot of people were stuck there with no way out. It turns out we were one of the last flights to leave the North East that day. When the ship sailed Saturday, leaving 2 hours late to try to give people time to arrive, it was still just over half full.

We have been lucky flying down to FLL in the morning of the day before we sail. This next cruise we are flying down Thursday morning (6:45am flight) for a Saturday departure. We want to be double sure we get there, so if whether is an issue we can just get in the car and drive and still make it!

I sure hope for everyone trying to get away this weekend (and for my Son who has to clear the sidewalks and driveway at home!) that the predictions are just typical TV rating bait hype.

Wish we could go on Thursday but MUST WORK! I am flying out of Philly on an 8 AM Flight to Miami on Saturday! I think I will not be on this cruise and I am sick about it!

Hype or not, I advanced my trip home from Florida to LI NY to arrive before the storm hits, if it does. Dtr's baby shower on Sunday may be snowed out...hoping it's a fish storm...hard to know now

We have changed cruise flights on more than one occasion...once we advanced arrival by 3 days to avoid an ice storm that did hit..while we were already in FLL....Costly but we did not miss the ship!

Another time we had to delay arrival to the day of our cruise due to snow.All went well and we got ship's transp..also costly to change air tix,, but we didn't miss the ship

It pays to be weather wise but not to panic!

Good luck to all travelers..flying or driving

Edited by hcat

But what does the working people do?? I have Trip Insurance and Choice Air but I cannot take Friday off from work!. What happens to the luggage if we get to the airport, check our bags on the flight to Miami and then the flight gets cancelled. Big Deal - Choice Air will fly us to San Juan but how does our luggage get there?

you want to make sure that the insurance pays for weather delays. Some do not pay unless the airport is closed. and it takes a lot to close the airports. grounding planes is not closing the airport.

If planes are not flying-- what does choice air do for you?

We nearly missed our cruise out of NY because all flights coming to our airport were fogged in on the East Coast.

We will NEVER fly the day of a cruise. Too nerve wracking. We were the last 2 to board and even the porters were yelling, 'GO'

Things totally out of our control.

Can you clarify trip insurance covering a situation such as this?

I was under the impression travel interruptions caused by weather did not qualify .

Good luck to all of you and if you make it, have a great trip.

Wish we could go on Thursday but MUST WORK! I am flying out of Philly on an 8 AM Flight to Miami on Saturday! I think I will not be on this cruise and I am sick about it!

yeah-- even that last flight out on Friday will not help you. Storm sounds like it might be coming early friday afternoon.

But dont put all your stuff out yet== stuff changes all the time-- wait til thursday and see what happens

Understand those that are working have problems. My only suggestion is to fly out as far as you can after work. Even if you just get to someplace in Florida you will not miss your cruise.

If your flight is cancelled you usually either pick up your bags and recheck or they will automatically do it for you. And no, the bags do not always arrive at the destination. Did a cruise out of San Juan in a jacket and the clothes on my back plus what I could buy at the first port stop. Crew and other travelers actually loaned us stuff and the ship did laundry free picking up late evening and delivering early am next day at our door.

You are then likely to have time in San Juan and fly to the next port the following day.

Understand those that are working have problems. My only suggestion is to fly out as far as you can after work. Even if you just get to someplace in Florida you will not miss your cruise.

If your flight is cancelled you usually either pick up your bags and recheck or they will automatically do it for you. And no, the bags do not always arrive at the destination. Did a cruise out of San Juan in a jacket and the clothes on my back plus what I could buy at the first port stop. Crew and other travelers actually loaned us stuff and the ship did laundry free picking up late evening and delivering early am next day at our door.

You are then likely to have time in San Juan and fly to the next port the following day.

Well, It would be interesting. Id we miss the ship in Mismi or never get ot of Phi;;y, We will have to see if flying to San Juan is offered by choice air. Crazy!

Most insurance will cover your costs in the event that you can not make the cruise due to weather or airline issues. Typically, the airlines will waive change fees days in advance if a big storm is brewing. Since fees can be $200.00 per person for domestic flights, you might want to wait until they waive the fees before you change your ticket. Until the airline issues waivers, any change you make will incur a fee. I would watch both the weather and the airline web sites for updates. Once they allow the flights to change without a fee, the airlines will be swamped with requests.

If you booked your airline travel with Travel Agent, then they should be able to reissue your ticket and can advise you on your options. Call them immediately so they can begin to monitor your situation. TA will also be receiving alerts from the airlines and are usually one of the first to be notified about waivers.

It happens...we were fogged in one year in February...met the ship in SJ instead of boarding in Florida. Airline took care of getting us to SJ, but had to pay for a one night stay in Miami for the connection to SJ. We really should have taken it as a sign....our one and only Carnival cruise.

Check Amtrak or get in the car if you can and drive. This is probably going to be a problem storm for those traveling Fri and Sat, anyone ignoring it is foolish.

Wish I could but driving to Florida is not an option. Not foolish at all but do not have the ability to change my schedule

It's all a crapshoot. My DD and her BF were flying from Chicago Midway to FLL in January, the day before the cruise sailed. I really wanted them to take a flight earlier in the day but they just could not. As it turned out, all of the earlier flights got cancelled due to snowstorms. Their flight was delayed several hours but still flew. If they'd been on an early flight, they'd be in line trying to rebook. As it was, they just sat around and waited until their plane finally arrived to take them to Ft. Lauderdale.

You just never know until the moment arrives.

Wish I could but driving to Florida is not an option. Not foolish at all but do not have the ability to change my schedule

It probably won't help you, but just in case...if it gets closer and there are cancellations, consider changing departure city...the airline will let you do it for free in most cases like this and it might open up some other options...

It's all a crapshoot. My DD and her BF were flying from Chicago Midway to FLL in January, the day before the cruise sailed. I really wanted them to take a flight earlier in the day but they just could not. As it turned out, all of the earlier flights got cancelled due to snowstorms. Their flight was delayed several hours but still flew. If they'd been on an early flight, they'd be in line trying to rebook. As it was, they just sat around and waited until their plane finally arrived to take them to Ft. Lauderdale.

You just never know until the moment arrives.

Yes, That is my argument. Flying out on Friday may be worse than Saturday???

Yes, That is my argument. Flying out on Friday may be worse than Saturday???

depending on a couple of things (one of them being if you have status on airline..which might help), they can get you on a flight for friday, but keep you on the flight for saturday. then obviously if you complete the friday flight, they will remove you from saturday flight and sell/assign that seat. I have heard it called "protect you" on the saturday flight in this case.

Choice Air will fly you? Choice Air is just the name of the Celebrity Air department and booking tool.

Always bring a carryon with what you cannot live without, meds, electronics, etc.

Depends not only on your dep city, but where your plane is coming from to pick you up....or where you have a connecting flt

SW air will let u change for free once they know of issues....but somtimes by then it is too late b/c seats are limited

dodged a bullet last yr by checking a local Baltimore weather station. Learned they would be getting high snow accumulations there..that's where my first plane was going for a connection..luckily I moved quickly to few days later with no issues...everything on the orig day was cancelled but I had alreay secured a new res.

Flights for Cruise timing is tighter but advice to get to Fl as soon as you can is good advice...can always rent a car from tampa, orlando, jacksonville,etc..

Choice Air will fly you? Choice Air is just the name of the Celebrity Air department and booking tool.

Always bring a carryon with what you cannot live without, meds, electronics, etc.

We did book thru Choice Air. I just got off of the phone with them. I called to ask questions. The woman was very helpful. She said to go to the airport. If your flight is delayed and you think you will miss the embarkment, then go to the counter to try to get booked on a different earlier flight. She said to call the Emergency Travel Team of Choice Air and gave me their#. They will assist and monitor flights. But if all flights are cancelled and you cannot get to Miami, then Choice air will help arrange booking on the first available flight once the airport is up and running again. So they would probably book us on a flight to San Juan on the 25th if we could not get to Miami on the 23rd. We would miss two days of cruising but at least not miss the entire cruise.