Movies in English, Commercials in Spanish?

Garavar

Television programming on the ship is the worst in the world. Some is from satellite and some is recorded and runs in a loop. For three years the have been running the same episodes over and over.

I like to watch a sitcom or two as I am going to sleep.

By not providing a good television feed, people are using the internet to stream programs from ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. Internet bandwidth is very very very limited and expensive. A DirecTv feed to 3000 rooms is very cheap and unlimited.

Hey RCCL, get DirecTV!!!! it's not rocket science. What? Your too cheap? Licensing problems? Negotiate!

The satellite that the ship is pinging off is picking up the international (read Mexico) feed for those stations. Hence, the commercials are targeted to that market.

I've stayed all over central america and if the commercials are in spanish the show/movie is in spanish.

RC is the only place I've seen shows in english with commercials all in spanish. There has to be some reason behind this.

On Anthem , this was weird. We sometime watch TCM since nothing good on Anyway after 11 pm that right after 11 pm every night the movies is in english with subtitles in spanish. We didn't do anything to the remote to do this but it automatic does this.

Television programming on the ship is the worst in the world. Some is from satellite and some is recorded and runs in a loop. For three years the have been running the same episodes over and over....

By not providing a good television feed, people are using the internet to stream programs from ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. Internet bandwidth is very very very limited and expensive....

A DirecTv feed to 3000 rooms is very cheap and unlimited.

DirecTV is not licensed to broadcast outside of the US. So it isn't up to RC. We can't get it in Canada for the same reason.

Except on the ships with VOOM internet, where they seem to encourage video streaming, there is not enough bandwdith to stream anything.

I don't watch enough TV onboard to notice that they are repeating shows, but aside from the Spanish versions of the US channels with English shows/Spanish commercials, the German and French channels are usually in their respective languages.

Now that this discussion has come up, I can't remember when we did a cruise out of Copenhagen if the TV programs had changed to the taste of the local market. Do they normally do that? Actually if that is the case I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cantonese and Mandarin programming showing up soon.

Does anyone know why the movies on USA, TNT etc. Are in English while the commercial are in Spanish?

Seems so strange, the movies don't even have spanish subtitles.

Just curious

I work for TBS and the programming that the ships get, at least in the case of TNT, TBS, TOON, TruTV comes from Turner Latin America which is based out of Buenos Aires.

One clue to this is that you may notice that some shows that do not air on Turner networks in the states you will see on Turner networks on the cruise. One example I noticed was last cruise the TruTV channel played many episodes of that Dave Navarro hosted tattoo reality show that is/was on Spike here in the states.

The english / spanish mix is odd. I assume it's because they want to make sure at least the programs are in English.

The endless loop of the programming implies that they are not taking in a feed of the live Latin America stations, more likely every so often they receive a feed of a bunch of new stuff and put that on a new endless loop.

Also, they may use the Latin America programming because it is cheaper than it would be from the states, but that's just a guess because I know how RCI looks for revenue wherever they can... :)

Thanks for the clarification fletch. That's what I was trying to say - that the feed was from the latin american group. :) We've never noticed the loop but then watching tv is the last thing we do on a cruise. I do enough at home - for work and for pleasure! I love being unplugged onboard.

Thanks for the clarification fletch. That's what I was trying to say - that the feed was from the latin american group. :) We've never noticed the loop but then watching tv is the last thing we do on a cruise. I do enough at home - for work and for pleasure! I love being unplugged onboard.

Same here - I noticed it last time because we spent more time than we planned in the cabin waiting for our 16 year old to meet us back at the cabin at an appointed time that she was always late for... :)

There was a TV channel on my cable lineup called Nuvo TV. It showed old episodes of Cash Cab, which my kids and I enjoyed watching--plus lots of good stand-up comedy that weren't kid-appropriate. 95% of the commercial were in Spanish. All of the shows were in English, and none of the shows were ever subtitled.

Edited by pseudoswede

Ok, I work in the business (media) so was just trying to give you the answer. But you can choose to believe otherwise. I could certainly be wrong, it's happened a few times in my life. ;) No worries.

I agree with you (and fletch) too.

They have different programming and feeds in different regions.

Here we usually get a blended mix with some Australian and the major US, when we're not too far off. Though lose the Australian as you get a short distance away (to be replaced with odd propaganda channels like Russia Today - weird!).

In Asia they have a different mix again.

My personal favorite is watching the commercials broadcast in Polish on European cruises. We try to guess what they're selling before they actually show the product.

Yes! Our favorite of these on our TA in September was a commercial for rice pudding, set to the tune of Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby," of course, in the commercial, they changed the lyrics to "Rice, Rice, Baby." ;)

My personal favorite is watching the commercials broadcast in Polish on European cruises. We try to guess what they're selling before they actually show the product.

Same here- they have some very unusual commercials! Reklama!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I work for TBS and the programming that the ships get, at least in the case of TNT, TBS, TOON, TruTV comes from Turner Latin America which is based out of Buenos Aires.

One clue to this is that you may notice that some shows that do not air on Turner networks in the states you will see on Turner networks on the cruise. One example I noticed was last cruise the TruTV channel played many episodes of that Dave Navarro hosted tattoo reality show that is/was on Spike here in the states.

The english / spanish mix is odd. I assume it's because they want to make sure at least the programs are in English.

The endless loop of the programming implies that they are not taking in a feed of the live Latin America stations, more likely every so often they receive a feed of a bunch of new stuff and put that on a new endless loop.

Also, they may use the Latin America programming because it is cheaper than it would be from the states, but that's just a guess because I know how RCI looks for revenue wherever they can... :)

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the "endless loop" comment was more about the ship-programmed channels (Prime Time, Dreamworks, AO, etc) and not what was coming off the satellite feed. I know that on Anthem, the same loop of slightly stale programming ran for all 11 days (1st season ep of Community with music removed, early Person of Interest, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the Middle, Castle, etc.)

Also, I think the CNN feed was the US feed rather than Int'l - non-stop election coverage, interrupted only by non-stop blizzard coverage. I feel like Int'l wouldn't have spent that much time vamping about snow.

Same here- they have some very unusual commercials! Reklama!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes! Our favorite of these on our TA in September was a commercial for rice pudding, set to the tune of Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby," of course, in the commercial, they changed the lyrics to "Rice, Rice, Baby." ;)

ITA those Polish adverts are an entertainment in themselves!

I did wonder what the deal is for the advertisers ??

I don't' know if I've ever watched a TV show episode or movie from start to finish on a cruise. Usually I end up leaving on the channel with the map that show's where the ship is:D

Same here. The TV is usually on in the background while we're getting ready.

I don't' know if I've ever watched a TV show episode or movie from start to finish on a cruise. Usually I end up leaving on the channel with the map that show's where the ship is:D

My favorite channel aboard! I've dubbed it the Boat Channel. Pretty much always have in on when in the cabin.