Zika virus

Jaylie

Living in Minnesota mosquitos are a way of life... I always bring repellents and use them frequently... I would be only worried if i were pregnant or could possibly get pregnant... You can't live your life being worried all the time!

Of course, it is such a new virus that no-one can really know what the long term effects might be.

Actually, I don't think this is a new virus but discovered decades before ....just in the news due to the microcephaly birth defects in such great numbers in Brazil.

I understand they are working on a genetic mutation of the males in this mosquito species, which also may be responsible for the Chikagunya virus and Dengue fever....both of which have worse symptoms than Zika.

I just got a lot of mosquito repellent which I will be very diligent about using when in these areas.

Got the warning for our April Royal cruise. I haven't read up on Zika but generally, mosquitos come out at dusk or can be found in the jungle or where there's standing water. Most ships sail before dusk. If you're concerned, I'd use plenty of bug repellant and stay away from jungle hikes or activities.

Pam, I have actually read that this is a day time biter as well....not limited to dusk as many mosquitoes are.

We used deet towelettes for our Costa Maya excursion to Mayan ruins in November. The come in individually-wrapped foil packets and are very easy to pack and apply. Can't remember if we bought then at Walmart or REI but both carry bug-towelettes.

Those towelettes are great! We always had them handy for boy scouts.

Actually, I don't think this is a new virus but discovered decades before ....just in the news due to the microcephaly birth defects in such great numbers in Brazil.

I understand they are working on a genetic mutation of the males in this mosquito species, which also may be responsible for the Chikagunya virus and Dengue fever....both of which have worse symptoms than Zika.

I just got a lot of mosquito repellent which I will be very diligent about using when in these areas.

The other reason it's in the news lately is the rapid spread around the world, or at least the apparent spread. That's why they are worried that there may be new species of mosquitoes involved.

Avon Skin So Soft seems to work as bug repellent without the Deet?

We used to go to an annual Independence Day (4th of July) party at some friend's house in the country. It's in a farming area and there are a LOT of mosquitoes. We would show up with a DEET spray and folks would act like we were horrible people. They would use their Skin So Soft and act smug. It usually took about an hour before they were asking to use our DEET spray as the mosquitoes were eating them alive while leaving us alone. :rolleyes:

Regarding DEET alternatives -- this is an interesting study testing 11 different products on their effectiveness at preventing mosquito bites (http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/01/30/464740275/whats-the-best-way-to-keep-mosquitoes-from-biting). A perfume from Victoria Secret did better than Skin So Soft, but there is a DEET alternative that did quite well.

Unless you are pregnant, or expecting to become pregnant, Zika is no more of a problem than any other mosquito bite.

Unless you bring the virus back to your home country and get bitten by a mosquito there, which may spread the Zika virus to your home country.

Edited by Mackenzie1

We received the "dreaded Zika warning" in my e-mail this morning. I guess I will pick up a can of Off or Cutter spray before we go. I hate the stuff and we are way to old to worry about babies, but why spread this disease if we can prevent it?

Doc:eek:

Got the warning for our April Royal cruise. I haven't read up on Zika but generally, mosquitos come out at dusk or can be found in the jungle or where there's standing water. Most ships sail before dusk. If you're concerned, I'd use plenty of bug repellant and stay away from jungle hikes or activities.

Pam, I read that this mosquito is a day mosquito, meaning it feeds during the day. The mosquito for the other viruses seems to be an evening mosquito.

Once you're underway, though the threat is lessened.

Lani

So does this mean that if I go and get bitten and come home 2 weeks later and am in contact with a person that is pregnant, would she be in danger?

Marlster

I might think so...but is it contagious from person to person? Or, as I heard, you can only get it from a mosquito? But if there are concerns I would research it...

I've read that it can be passed by sexual contact also.

Wow, so the rumours have started flying. The virus is transmitted either through the bite of an infected mosquito or from a pregnant mother to her fetus. There's lots and lots of reliable information on line from trustworthy sites like the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization and the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/disease-qa.html

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/zika/en/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/zika-virus/expert-answers/faq-20178199

Not that I have to worry but it's more than just a rumor.

"Our findings support the hypothesis that ZIKV can be

transmitted by sexual intercourse. Furthermore, the observation

that ZIKV RNA was detectable in urine after viremia

clearance in blood suggests that, as found for DENV and

WNV infections, urine samples can yield evidence ofZIKV

for late diagnosis, but more investigation is needed"

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/21/2/pdfs/14-1363.pdf

Not that I have to worry but it's more than just a rumor.

"Our findings support the hypothesis that ZIKV can be

transmitted by sexual intercourse. Furthermore, the observation

that ZIKV RNA was detectable in urine after viremia

clearance in blood suggests that, as found for DENV and

WNV infections, urine samples can yield evidence ofZIKV

for late diagnosis, but more investigation is needed"

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/21/2/pdfs/14-1363.pdf

Interesting, but not at all supportive from a scientific point of view: The man in question was found to have Zika virus in his semen.....but there's no evidence of transmission. The fact that sexually transmitted Zika has been "previously suspected" is hardly scientific - especially when you look at that previously suspicious case in the article sited: There was no identified Zika in that man's semen, and it relies on personal recollections and self-reported sexual activity.

Two cases separated by 2 years, each with significant flaws. Yes, it's not a rumour, but I hardly think it's a "supportive" as the author claims.

What will be interesting, given the WHO has declared an emergency, and the suggestion of human-human transmission is that, if it is proven, will we start to see Europe follow the example of Continental America with Ebola and place severe restrictions on the arrival of people from countries where spread of the infection is out of control.

Interesting, but not at all supportive from a scientific point of view: The man in question was found to have Zika virus in his semen.....but there's no evidence of transmission. The fact that sexually transmitted Zika has been "previously suspected" is hardly scientific - especially when you look at that previously suspicious case in the article sited: There was no identified Zika in that man's semen, and it relies on personal recollections and self-reported sexual activity.

Two cases separated by 2 years, each with significant flaws. Yes, it's not a rumour, but I hardly think it's a "supportive" as the author claims.

I just saw this article in a local paper being sent as an emergency notice.

For what it's worth;

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/local/2016/02/02/two-zika-infections-confirmed-lee-county/79704108/

"Zika, which is most commonly spread by mosquito bites but may be sexually transmitted, has alarmed global health agencies because of its suspected link to birth defects in Brazil. The virus usually causes several days of mild symptoms, including fever, rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis (red eyes)."

I just saw this article in a local paper being sent as an emergency notice.

For what it's worth;

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/local/2016/02/02/two-zika-infections-confirmed-lee-county/79704108/

"Zika, which is most commonly spread by mosquito bites but may be sexually transmitted, has alarmed global health agencies because of its suspected link to birth defects in Brazil. The virus usually causes several days of mild symptoms, including fever, rash, joint pain and conjunctivitis (red eyes)."

In my opinion, it's not worth much. But feel free not to care about my opinion ;) I do believe it's a very serious situation because of the risk of serious - even fatal - birth defects, but I'm far more concerned about the likelihood of it changing or adding mosquito species (a much more common occurrence with viruses) than with the very weak evidence of sexual transmission. Though sexual transmission makes for much better headlines, and there's money to be made by scaring people.

Edited by calliopecruiser

we got the email today too for our April cruise. My boss just got back from Punta Cuna and she is pretty sure she got Zika virus when she was there since she was bitten alive by mosquitoes. She had all the symptoms. She was sick about a week but nothing worse than when you get the flu. I'm not worried about it.

we got the email today too for our April cruise. My boss just got back from Punta Cuna and she is pretty sure she got Zika virus when she was there since she was bitten alive by mosquitoes. She had all the symptoms. She was sick about a week but nothing worse than when you get the flu. I'm not worried about it.

Much more likely to actually beetle flu rather than Zika as there are - as yet - no reported cases in the PC area, and DR was only recently added to the alert at large. Without a blood test to prove Zika, no way to know...

Much more likely to actually beetle flu rather than Zika as there are - as yet - no reported cases in the PC area, and DR was only recently added to the alert at large. Without a blood test to prove Zika, no way to know...

Really? Its says Panama is an active location for Zika. :confused:

Countries and territories with active Zika virus transmission

World map showing countries and territories with reported active transmission of Zika virus (as of February 1, 2016). Countries are listed in the table below.

AMERICAS

Barbados

Bolivia

Brazil

Colombia

Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, US territory

Costa Rica

Curacao

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

El Salvador

French Guiana