Travel insurance does not cover cancellation of port-of-calls

WeiMin

I submitted another thread earlier about cancellation of port-of-call by Holland American (HAL) - Volendam, so I won't repeat the details again.

After receiving the news that HAL does not compensate passengers for a port-of-call cancellation, I tried to claim some costs from my travel insurance: ship to shore phone calls, calls using roaming telephone charges, use of SIM data etc but without success.

They do pay for additional hotels, transport resulting from trip cancellation, but not for these expenses.

Submitted for discussion and for information.

I submitted another thread earlier about cancellation of port-of-call by Holland American (HAL) - Volendam, so I won't repeat the details again.

After receiving the news that HAL does not compensate passengers for a port-of-call cancellation, I tried to claim some costs from my travel insurance: ship to shore phone calls, calls using roaming telephone charges, use of SIM data etc but without success.

They do pay for additional hotels, transport resulting from trip cancellation, but not for these expenses.

Submitted for discussion and for information.

Were the calls related to prepaid private excursions in the cancelled port?

That is something that I wouldn't have imagined travel insurnce would have covered.

Hi all, calls were made to relatives and friends to inform them that the port-of-call was cancelled. Not relating to local excursions etc, not sure if insurance covers cancellation of pre-booked and pre-paid non refundable local private tours. Anyone with experience?

My reference point is that I was delayed on flight from China because of Typhoon, and spent money making long distance calles, and spending on food at the airport and theses claimable from the travel insurance.

This comes as no surprise. I would not expect them to pay for cancelled ports.

Read your policy and read your cruise contract. You may not like what it says but it likely spells it out.

Edited by sail7seas

Private excursions booked by you most likely are not covered but if the ship was delayed getting to port causing you to miss a flight then I would think those costs would be covered minus any deductibles on the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, travel insurance -- at least the policy I get -- does cover you for a private excursion IF you prepaid and the ship misses the port, causing you to miss taking the excursion.

However, most of the things the OP is asking about would not be covered.

OP, I suggest you might want to read these two articles on Cruise Critic:

Travel Insurance Primer for Cruise Travelers: http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-2/articles.cfm?ID=274

and

When Bad Things Happen to Good Cruisers: Will Insurance Protect You? http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-2/articles.cfm?ID=1221

...not sure if insurance covers cancellation of pre-booked and pre-paid non refundable local private tours.

The best way to know what your insurance policy covers, is to read the policy. WE've no idea what your insurance might cover, if anything.

That said, I've never seen a policy that would cover something like that unless you specifically added a rider to cover those expenses.

We never understand this type of post. We assume that the poster is an adult capable of reading their insurance policy (best done before purchasing). If the policy specifically covers expenses related to cancelled ports, they they have a legitimate claim and need to talk to their insurance carrier. If missed ports are not specifically covered, then the OP has gotten what they paid for. We have long wondered why insurance will not pay for a lousy weather sea day...when we booked a cruise expecting sunny perfect weather every day. Oh well.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Check with the local vendors you paid, they may refund monies because the ship didn't come in. We've had this happen.

Many aspects of travel are uninsurable. Even under "covered conditions" there is a lot of fine print.

I consider travel insurance in the much the same way as I regard homeowners, auto and health coverage. I want to be protected against a big loss, little expenses are not a big deal to me.

Edited by sammiedawg

Hi all, calls were made to relatives and friends to inform them that the port-of-call was cancelled. Not relating to local excursions etc, not sure if insurance covers cancellation of pre-booked and pre-paid non refundable local private tours. Anyone with experience?

My reference point is that I was delayed on flight from China because of Typhoon, and spent money making long distance calles, and spending on food at the airport and theses claimable from the travel insurance.

I usually email and only call in an emergency as I would not expect my insurance to cover nor ask.

Private tours have been a non issue for us as we rarely need to pre-pay and when we do, I confirm the refund policy before booking or paying. 99% refund if you miss the port. I bypass the 1% that don't.;).

Nationwide Travel Insurance Excursion Coverage:

up to $250 paid for Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion.

Ports of call changed prior to departure up to $500 paid.

I'm not aware of any policy that would cover phone calls, etc.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

This comes as no surprise. I would not expect them to pay for cancelled ports.

Read your policy and read your cruise contract. You may not like what it says but it likely spells it out.

Good morning Sails!!!!

You are absolutely right!

Just spent time on our check in online etc.

Before I could complete all transactions there was a 15 plus page I had to scroll through to agree with prior to completion. HAL has the right to cancel at their will on anything! Also say to check with your own insurance if any compensation.

Denise:)

Our insurance covers prepaid, non-refundable excursions if the ship misses a port. The key is that we'd have to provide documentation showing that we paid and that we were not being refunded. It would cover certain incidental expenses if we got stranded in port, but those would be the involved with trying to rejoin the cruise. However, the OP looks like they wanted insurance to cover things above and beyond.

If it were me, I'd have sent an email or a text to one person on land and had them handle it.

Even if your friends and family were going to meet you at the cancelled port and that is why you had to phone them, sInce ports often have to be skipped by cruise lines for various reasons, as explained in your cruise contract, I would not expect either your insurance or the cruise line to pay for those phone calls.

I've read OP's other post as well as this. I believe OP was surprised that cruise lines can change itineraries without notice or compensation. OP was surprised that certain expenses were not covered by insurance. I think OP's real objective here was to share experiences to ensure that others were aware that this is the way the world works.

I've read OP's other post as well as this. I believe OP was surprised that cruise lines can change itineraries without notice or compensation. OP was surprised that certain expenses were not covered by insurance. I think OP's real objective here was to share experiences to ensure that others were aware that this is the way the world works.

In that case the OP chose the wrong forum, then, as the great majority here know "how the world [of cruising] works."

In that case the OP chose the wrong forum, then, as the great majority here know "how the world [of cruising] works."

Since the "great majority" of this forum knows "how the world [of cruising] works.", we might as well close this forum down.

The purpose of this forum is to share knowledge with the minority that doesn't know "how the world [of cruising] works."

You might be surprised how many people read these forums without ever posting (or sometimes without even registering) to get information.

I constantly run into people when cruising who use Cruise Critic to get info, but never have posted.

For me it's a reminder that I'm participating in a forum to help others and provide info, not to split hairs about others' opinions or push their buttons.