Really Bizarre Mariner's Reception

doublebzz

There does seem to be a trend on this thread (and other threads) where long time HAL cruisers (and we are also in that category) refuse to accept that things are changing (not for the better). Yes, many of us can say things like "we have been on dozens of cruises and this never happened to us" but that does not mean that it does not happen, or is now a new policy (cut back). So we could say, we remember when we could take cases of wine aboard HAL with no problem or fees, we remember when HAL had formal nights and actually enforced the dress guidelines, we remember when HAL had midnight buffets, etc etc etc.

We are soon going on another HAL Grand Cruise and will be very curious to see how it compares to previous Grand Cruises. And now we will just have to wait and see if we can get lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.

Hank

There does seem to be a trend on this thread (and other threads) where long time HAL cruisers (and we are also in that category) refuse to accept that things are changing (not for the better). Yes, many of us can say things like "we have been on dozens of cruises and this never happened to us" but that does not mean that it does not happen, or is now a new policy (cut back). So we could say, we remember when we could take cases of wine aboard HAL with no problem or fees, we remember when HAL had formal nights and actually enforced the dress guidelines, we remember when HAL had midnight buffets, etc etc etc.

We are soon going on another HAL Grand Cruise and will be very curious to see how it compares to previous Grand Cruises. And now we will just have to wait and see if we can get lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.

Hank

Quite agree. We averaged about 3 HAL cruises a year for the past 5 years. On almost each and every cruise, I could observe one less amenity. Because its done incrementally, you have a tendency not to take much note, but cumulatively HAL has become a sham of its former self. What next - bringing aboard one's own bed linen?

We have noticed HAL prices have not gone up all that much over the past years, so changes in former amenities would be the expected part of this compromise. Concentrate on destinations, room and board and HAL still presents a great travel bargain. We still see HAL as a low cost cruise option that delivers a powerful package for the costs. Always have, so no disappointments for us.

Hank

You can post this on every single cruise line message board here and it'd be applicable.

It was not opened for lunch on Westy embarkation Sat., Feb 6th nor any of the in-port days. On this 7 day cruise, the MDR was opened for lunch only on the two sea days. Just reporting on what I experienced.

The MDR was not open for any of the port days on the eurodam in October either. I've been reading retired mustangs Oosterdam thread. It has not been open on any port days for his cruises.

We have noticed HAL prices have not gone up all that much over the past years, so changes in former amenities would be the expected part of this compromise. Concentrate on destinations, room and board and HAL still presents a great travel bargain. We still see HAL as a low cost cruise option that delivers a powerful package for the costs. Always have, so no disappointments for us.

Perhaps you are pricing cruises after final, Hal's prices are quite high. I could easily do an all inclusive at a 5 star hotel for quite a bit less if I enjoyed that type of holiday. My point is that cruising is not really a "bargain".

Perhaps you are pricing cruises after final, Hal's prices are quite high. I could easily do an all inclusive at a 5 star hotel for quite a bit less if I enjoyed that type of holiday. My point is that cruising is not really a "bargain".

Absolutely agree.

Pricing right now, some even after final, is quite high.

Of the cruises I am looking most are double and one is triple what we have paid in the past couple of years. This is including the CND exchange rate, but still, double??, triple??

HAL is not providing the value it used to: another change we are confronted with. The land tour of Japan we are planning is going to come out costing a fair bit less than the inside cabin HAL cruise we had planned there.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Hank

I agree with you in regards to HAL loyalists keenly feeling the changes happening on their favorite line and ships. We had our first HAL cruise last year. Before the cruise I was reading on Cruise Critic and discovered that HAL offered an Embarkation Lunch and a Mariners brunch that we wouldn't be invited to as we had no stars during that first cruise. I hate to admit it but I got on Cruise Crtic and cried and vented my spleen about being left out and not feeling welcomed by HAL blah blah blah. Many kind people got on and gently explained that not having been on HAL before it was just a one time (or not) thing to not be invited to such gatherings, and these were perks for people who had spent more days and money on HAL than we had. I could respect that and those kind people were right. Once onboard the Veendam we discovered the Lido lunch which was very good in our opinions. We also discovered the Dine In at the Terrace Grill, and lunch by the pool became one of the things we enjoyed. Pinnacle lunch is good too. Tried the MDR for lunch one day, didn't care for it. We did enjoy the MDR for dinner. Anyway, not being invited to anything was quickly forgotten. We had such a good time we are doing a 9 night on the Veendam coming up in April. If we are invited to any gatherings, that's a bonus. But if we're not, it doesn't matter to us, we don't know what we are missing, you know? We are glad to have discovered HAL, and look forward to trying other ships and intineraries in the future. Might try Princess and Celebrity too, but we have found HAL to be a good fit for us.

Lorie

It amazes me so many people had nothing they would rather do at 2 P.M. on embarkation day than go get a free glass of cheap bubbly. :eek: I wouldn't likely go at 2 P.M. for a glass of high price bubbly. So many other things I'd rather do at that time.

Put up with that for a free drink? :confused: I don't know how to think that way.

[/b]

Hank

I don't think you are accurately stating how some of us long time HAL cruisers view the changes.

We aren't oblivious or in denial..... we see the changes and we actually like some of them.

We also know that for as long as we have sailed HAL (and other cruise lines), we can be on the same ship at the same time and have an entirely different experience. I have been aboard with some CC'ers who knew we were there and we knew and saw/chatted with them. The report of things they experienced on that cruise was so different than what we experienced it was close to jaw dropping.

So, please don't state when we comment, we (I) had very different experience that mine is not exactly as accurate as someone else's. Because you were refused a glass of red wine (or whatever) does not mean I was refused it.

Because you never saw an Officer/Captain/Hotel Manager does not mean someone else didn't dine with them.

Because you don't care to reminisce about how things used to be, please do not make it sound as though it is a strange position. It happens as some of us become senior and we like to recall our fond memories. I have lost my life partner with whom I spent 47 years of my life.... all I can embrace now are my treasured memories.

I'm sorry for the person who didn't get their drink of choice. If it was so disappointing, go to a bar and buy the darn drink for yourself. :D

As to the days of lugging cases of wine, we once brought one bottle because it had been a gift at our pre-cruise hotel and we didn't drink it. We never drank it on the ship and left it in our cabin.

As to Embarkation Day MDR lunch, we never went. I like Lido on Embarkation Day. I like the energy and positive excitement.

I do miss getting a USA Today or Int'l Herald delivered to our Suite on port days. ;)

I will not apologize for the rant. I think it needed to be said.

Edited by sail7seas

It amazes me so many people had nothing they would rather do at 2 P.M. on embarkation day than go get a free glass of cheap bubbly. :eek: I wouldn't likely go at 2 P.M. for a glass of high price bubbly. So many other things I'd rather do at that time.

Put up with that for a free drink? :confused: I don't know how to think that way.

[/b]

I'm not wild about champagne, especially mid-day, but sometimes it's fun to look around and see if I recognize anyone from a past cruise.

Oh my goodness, that doesn't apply to the cruises I've been on the past couple of years. They have been longer cruises so booked way in advance. And each time, the prices shot up even well before final payment. Sometimes it really does pay to book early. For the one I cancelled for this year, I couldn't afford to book at at today's price.:eek:

Oh my goodness, that doesn't apply to the cruises I've been on the past couple of years. They have been longer cruises so booked way in advance. And each time, the prices shot up even well before final payment. Sometimes it really does pay to book early. For the one I cancelled for this year, I couldn't afford to book at at today's price.:eek:

You aren't alone. I see a lot of posts about prices dropping after final payment, but it doesn't happen to my cruises. We tend to book fairly early so that we get the cabin we want. I watch prices out of curiousity, but don't see my cruise--or at least my cabin grade--go down in price. I've seen it stay the same or go up.

I have no idea why some prices go down and others go up. Obviously, it has to do with how many cabins are booked, but why some cruises book up faster than others is a mystery to me.

Pricing is an interesting topic perhaps worthy of its own thread. We snagged a pretty good deal on an upcoming Grand Cruise...about 4 months prior to the cruise (some might call this the last minute). If we had taken the later offered upsell deal (to a suite) we would have had a suite on the oft expensive Prinsendam for an unbelievable price (we turned down the upsell because we do not want a balcony with everyone elses smoke).

All cruise lines, including HAL, use pretty sophisticated "yield management" further amplified by experience. What this means is that HAL (and other lines) do not want to sail with empty cabins....and will vary pricing (and promotions) with the goal of filling all berths. Sometimes early bookers get the best deal, but often the late booker (who can be flexible) will get the truly amazing deals.

Hank

[/b]

We went the first week of our Collector's Cruise just out of curiosity to see what this new "Mariner's Party" would be like.

Since we considered it horrible (JMO) with no captain, CD or officers and nothing but a mob scene, we didn't bother to go to the one the next week.

And we have no intention of going to any of them in the future.

The prices of our cruises haven't gone down and are certainly higher than what we have paid in the past.

This spring we are taking the same 21 day cruise we took in 2013. The price is $6000 more for the 2 of us.

It was not opened for lunch on Westy embarkation Sat., Feb 6th nor any of the in-port days. On this 7 day cruise, the MDR was opened for lunch only on the two sea days. Just reporting on what I experienced.

This is what we experienced on our Collector's Cruise on the Eurodam for the dining room lunch:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2276888

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2276884

We went the first week of our Collector's Cruise just out of curiosity to see what this new "Mariner's Party" would be like.

Since we considered it horrible (JMO) with no captain, CD or officers and nothing but a mob scene, we didn't bother to go to the one the next week.

And we have no intention of going to any of them in the future.

Thanks for describing what you experienced.

The prices of our cruises haven't gone down and are certainly higher than what we have paid in the past.

This spring we are taking the same 21 day cruise we took in 2013. The price is $6000 more for the 2 of us.

I agree. Prices for what I am used to booking, same ship/same itinerary for years are higher.

We have been in the exact cabin on the same ship so many times, I have an exact comparison through the years for some of our cruises. Certainly I can't compare all but I can generally compare per diem prices for same category on same ship doing very similar or exact itinerary and the prices are higher.

Agree.

I think it awful.

A Platinum Medallion Holder should be invited to any and all Mariner Events. I had that specific conversation with someone from the Mariners Society when we met with him and we were told they never expect for a Platinum Holder to not go to every Reception while aboard.

We always went to the reception all segments we were on the ship.

Loyalty goes in two directions. It cannot be a one way street.

We recently (Mon. Feb 8) jumped ship, leaving the OOSTERDAM a month early...on her Jan 18 cruise of the six President's Club members sailing (each couple was booked for 63 days...NONE of us showed for the Marinator's Reception nor did any of us show for the "party" during the Jan. 29th cruise and on that cruise heavy hitting Marinator friends who have over 1,000 days didn't go either. Not one of the eight of us felt that we missed ANYTHING...HAL surely has changed.