Riveria Noro, Is 25% enough?

RJB

I went directly to the report from the CDC regarding the outbreak on the Riviera last month (see below). Could you direct me to where you saw the Oceania article on food handlers? Thanks!

Investigation Update on the Oceania Riviera

Cruise Line: Oceania Cruises

Cruise Ship: Oceania Riviera

Voyage Dates: February 12-22, 2016

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 124 of 1,225 (10.12%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 3 of 773 (0.39%)

Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Norovirus

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Oceania Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:

•Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,

•Collecting stool specimens from passenger and crew gastrointestinal illness cases for testing,

•Making multiple daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,

•Sent public health and sanitation manager, two physicians from the cruise line corporate office to oversee and assist with implementation of the sanitation and outbreak response procedures,

•Sent additional crew and equipment to the ship to assist in the execution of the ship’s outbreak response procedures,

•Consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in Miami, FL, including: ◦sailing back to Miami, FL early to complete multiple sanitation barriers prior to the next voyage,

◦planning staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests, and

◦planning for sanitation of terminal and transport infection control procedures.

A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer and an epidemiologist are currently making plans to board the ship upon arrival in Miami, FL to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Specimens have been collected and tested onboard using a norovirus rapid test; results were positive for norovirus. The specimens will be sent to CDC for additional testing.

This is just the standard initial report and not the detailed one.. Go to the detailed report (links have been posted here and I think some of it even copied and pasted. All you have to do is read the CDC real report) and you will see the accounts of food handlers/servers not reporting that were symptomatic (aka contagious) among other things. The last time I looked O had not even yet filed a corrective report.

Just reporting the real facts. I know, the truth can hurt. It's not my report - it's the CDC's.

Edited by kazu

This is just the standard initial report and not the detailed one.. Go to the detailed report (links have been posted here and I think some of it even copied and pasted. All you have to do is read the CDC real report) and you will see the accounts of food handlers/servers not reporting that were symptomatic (aka contagious) among other things. The last time I looked O had not even yet filed a corrective report.

Just reporting the real facts. I know, the truth can hurt. It's not my report - it's the CDC's.

Good to know. Just shows that Oceania is responsible for all that goes on with their ships. The buck stops with them, not their customers.

That was sobering to read, especially because that 22 Dec 2015 inspection took place immediately before our cruise began.

There has been no "response" from Oceania yet.

Is there a deadline?

I didn't see CDC reports from dates after that. Did I miss something?

We were obviously VERY lucky on that holiday cruise.

But these "things" DO happen. It can happen despite the very best of precautions/behaviors of *everyone*.

What is truly alarming is how Oceania responded, and the comparison with how other cruise lines have handled the same problem is quite telling.

There is more than whether passengers are charged for visits to the medical center for GI problems.

Are the staff members pressured to "work and work" so that they really do not feel it's okay to self-report? Otherwise, why would they keep working when ill??

The "reimbursement issue" is PR.

Having appropriate cleaning personnel and protocols is NOT. That is a real public health problem.

We had a wonderful "first cruise" with Oceania/Riviera.

We'll be watching how Oceania continues to deal with this and future problems, and I hope that we'll feel comfortable enough to return.

We loved the ship!

Good to know. Just shows that Oceania is responsible for all that goes on with their ships. The buck stops with them, not their customers.

Sorry but I still disagree very strongly with your point of view. I recall a person on a cruise that left their expensive camera on a ship-sponsored excursion. The camera was not found and the passenger wanted the cruise line to pay for it. I suppose that if someone comes down with any illness, it is the fault of the cruise line too. The sense of entitlement - particularly in the U.S. is astounding!

Will stop harping on this now but do hope that no one expects more compensation as it is not likely to happen.

Could you please link to this detailed report? I can't seem to find it. :)

Sorry but I still disagree very strongly with your point of view. I recall a person on a cruise that left their expensive camera on a ship-sponsored excursion. The camera was not found and the passenger wanted the cruise line to pay for it. I suppose that if someone comes down with any illness, it is the fault of the cruise line too. The sense of entitlement - particularly in the U.S. is astounding!

But we are not talking a camera, here. We are talking about over $7,500 for a relaxing cruise experience that we did not receive. To think what we could have done with that money.:( We could have taken two cruises on another line for that money and had a much better experience! :cool:

But we are not talking a camera, here. We are talking about over $7,500 for a relaxing cruise experience that we did not receive. To think what we could have done with that money.:( We could have taken two cruises on another line for that money and had a much better experience! :cool:

I know - it is just difficult to understand how "everything" that happens on board a ship is the cruise line's fault.

BTW, I could not find the report either but did read on one of the "noro" threads that a couple of crew members were not feeling well and did not report it promptly. Illness can definitely be spread by food handlers but, IMO, Oceania takes the most precaution with food service than any cruise line we have been on. We are used to helping ourselves at the buffet yet our regular cruise line has had less cases of gastroenteritis than Oceania.

Here are the applicable pieces of the report and will follow those with the link. The crew members were much more than feeling bad, they had symptoms of AGE Acute Gastroenteritis while working and eating in the crew mess.

Item No.: 01

Site: Medical-2% Special Report

Violation: During the 18 November to 2 December cruise, when the vessel reached 2% of passengers diagnosed with acute gastroenteritis a telephone call was made to the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP), but the 2% report was not submitted to VSP through the electronic reporting system or by email.

Recommendation: Ensure the master or designated corporate representative of a vessel with an international itinerary destined for a U.S. port submits a special report at any time during a cruise, including between two U.S. ports, when the cumulative percentage of reportable cases entered in the AGE surveillance log reaches 2% among passengers or 2% among crew and the vessel is within 15 days of expected arrival at a U.S. port. Ensure that a telephone notification to VSP accompanies the special 2% report. Submit a second special report when the cumulative percentage of reportable cases entered in the AGE surveillance log reaches 3% among passengers or 3% among crew and the vessel is within 15 days of expected arrival at a U.S. port.

Item No.: 11

Site: Medical-Crew Member Late Reporting of Acute Gastroenteritis (AGE)

Violation: On 13 December, a junior utility cleaner (food worker) had an onset of AGE symptoms at 0930, reported to medical at 2115 and worked while symptomatic. On 4 December, a waitress (food worker) had on onset of AGE symptoms at 0930, reported to medical at 1700, and worked while symptomatic. On 4 December, an assistant buffet waiter (food worker) had an onset of AGE symptoms at 1800, reported to medical on 5 December at 1015, and worked and ate at the crew mess while symptomatic. On 24 November, an assistant cabin steward had on onset of AGE symptoms at 0230, reported to medical at 1530, and worked and ate at the crew mess while symptomatic. All four food workers were disciplined for late reporting of AGE symptoms.

Recommendation: When food employees meet the case definition for AGE, ensure the following actions are taken: (1) isolate in cabin or designated restricted area until symptom-free for a minimum of 48 hours; (2) follow-up with and receive approval by designated medical personnel before returning crew to work; (3) document date and time of last symptom and clearance to return to work. When nonfood employees meet the case definition for AGE, ensure the following actions are taken: (1) isolate in cabin or designated restricted area until symptom-free for a minimum of 24 hours; (2) follow-up with and receive approval by designated medical personnel before returning crew to work; (3) document the date and time of last symptom and clearance to return to work.

Item No.: 13

Site: Medical-Crew Member Late Reporting of Acute Gastroenteritis (AGE)

Violation: On 13 December, a junior utility cleaner (food worker) had an onset of AGE symptoms at 0930, reported to medical at 2115 and worked while symptomatic. On 4 December, a waitress (food worker) had on onset of AGE symptoms at 0930, reported to medical at 1700, and worked while symptomatic. On 4 December, an assistant buffet waiter (food worker) had an onset of AGE symptoms at 1800, reported to medical on 5 December at 1015, and worked and ate at the crew mess while symptomatic. On 24 November, an assistant cabin steward had on onset of AGE symptoms at 0230, reported to medical at 1530, and worked and ate at the crew mess while symptomatic. This AGE illness occurred during the outbreak voyage from 18 November to 2 December. All four food workers were disciplined for late reporting of AGE symptoms.

Recommendation: Ensure the supervisor or person in charge of food operations on the vessel monitors that: (13) Food employees are informed of their responsibility to report to the supervisor or person in charge information about their health and activities as they relate to diseases that are transmissible through food.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTg3ODAxOTg%3d-XwyRKC%2fTqa8%3d

Will stop harping on this now but do hope that no one expects more compensation as it is not likely to happen.

I guess we can agree to disagree. :(:(:(

I know - it is just difficult to understand how "everything" that happens on board a ship is the cruise line's fault.

BTW, I could not find the report either but did read on one of the "noro" threads that a couple of crew members were not feeling well and did not report it promptly. Illness can definitely be spread by food handlers but, IMO, Oceania takes the most precaution with food service than any cruise line we have been on. We are used to helping ourselves at the buffet yet our regular cruise line has had less cases of gastroenteritis than Oceania.

Thank you, but this does not pertain to our 2/12 cruise, though I can see how the chain of events start.

I've mentioned before that we are pretty sure that our room attendant had something wrong with her as she disappeared from cleaning and finishing our room on embarkation day. We were told she was sick, and then she was taken off the ship at some point and never returned. And I know from talking to my B2B balcony neighbor that he and another party in his stateroom had the Noro the cruise before ours and that a few others on our deck had the virus that week before. Perhaps the virus was spreading by the room attendants. The neighbor was quite upset that proper outside cleaning protocols were missing for his cruise until it was too late.

As I have also said before, I did not understand why our staterooms were being washed down twice a day. I will probably get flack, but going ahead and posting some photos as I believe that pictures say a thousand words. These were taken approx. 30 minitues after cleaning. I apologize that they are so large. I am copying from my Photobucket album.

IMG_1431_zpsbqvg5qic.jpg

Headboard and back wall also wet.

IMG_1311_zps5pyovfvb.jpg

IMG_1432_zpsnd218q01.jpgHard to see in this photo, but this is the 2nd day of solution dripping into the drawer. I had to put my undergarments in baggies after the solution seeped in and got them damp.

IMG_1309_zpspjs5adwu.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsejfk2btp.jpg

Cabin walls

IMG_1433_zpsdvfj37qh.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea

IMG_1333_zpsfhmnynr9.jpg

Balcony door

IMG_1435_zpstnugbdz0.jpg

Still wet after an 8:30am cleaning

IMG_1299_zpsls2ewfnc.jpg

Wet sofa back

The cleaning appeared to be random each day. Surprisingly, the bathroom seemed to have the least amount of cleaning done to it. The only detection that I noticed outside of the normal bath cleaning was a small puddle, slap dab below one's foot at the toilet. No other sitting solution on counters, mirrors, etc. :confused: Soap bars were only replenished when we asked for a new bar. By this time, they were reduced to slithers.

I have other photos of cleaning around the ship if anyone is interested.

I just want to point out that the facts are indeed in the CDC report but the context is missing.

In every report on a ship that occurred an infection there are the same type of violations.

This is not specific for this report only.

I agree

It also does not report the passengers that were out & about when supposed to be quarantined

I've mentioned before that we are pretty sure that our room attendant had something wrong with her as she disappeared from cleaning and finishing our room on embarkation day. We were told she was sick, and then she was taken off the ship at some point and never returned. And I know from talking to my B2B balcony neighbor that he and another party in his stateroom had the Noro the cruise before ours and that a few others on our deck had the virus that week before.

Have you had Noro before ?

Sometimes there is no way of knowing you are sick until it hits you

I was feeling fine one minute .... then WHAM I was not

Perhaps the housekeeper was hit the same way

It is all well & good to play the blame game but do get the facts first

:confused: I wasn't blaming anyone. :confused:

And yes, I have had it, or something similar, when my children were in school. It is not fun!

Edited by Iamthesea

With all due respect....when will this thread end??!! Enough of the noro....can we move on? How much more complaining can one do? Geez!

+1. Also, please let's not turn RJB's new thread ("Riviera in Miami") into more of the same.

:confused: I wasn't blaming anyone. :confused:

And yes, I have had it, or something similar, when my children were in school. It is not fun!

sounds like blame to me :confused:

Perhaps the virus was spreading by the room attendants.

I was addressing the "food borne" theory that Travelcat2 keeps pushing away as a cause and just suggesting that it could have been passed by the room attendants doing their daily cleaning, instead. This would explain why they were so stringent in the stateroom cleaning process. I have said before that no one is to blame.

Grumpymuffin - I agree that there need not be another thread on this about the Riviera. I'm sure RJB didn't mean it to start another discussion.

Edited by Iamthesea

With Noro you are contagious (sheding the virus) 1 to 2 days before the onset of symptoms. That is why it is so hard to contain.

Edited by Christine Frances

Gosh, Iamthesea's photos bring back repulsive memories (we were on the same cruise). Thanks goodness we don't have "smell-o-vision" -- the acrid odor will remain in my memory for a long time.

But I agree that it is time to drop it. Oceania will do no more, and is counting on the fact that with time, all will be forgotten -- and they are correct.

With Noro you are contagious (sheding the virus) 1 to 2 days before the onset of symptoms. That is why it is so hard to contain.

Exactly

Had i known I had the virus I probably would not have flown home infecting people as I went :eek:

so what is the answer ...never leave the house maybe

Gosh, Iamthesea's photos bring back repulsive memories (we were on the same cruise). Thanks goodness we don't have "smell-o-vision" -- the acrid odor will remain in my memory for a long time.

But I agree that it is time to drop it. Oceania will do no more, and is counting on the fact that with time, all will be forgotten -- and they are correct.

You would think they would have some sort of aerosol spray that dries on contact that was not so goopy that they could use to treat the ships surfaces & cabins

+1. Also, please let's not turn RJB's new thread ("Riviera in Miami") into more of the same.

My new thread is starting on a very positive note and I hope it stays that way. All seems fine with no sickness and just people wanting to have a good time. :):):)