Research neglect and Turkish Airlines

tray

We have down Turkish and their discount affiliate a number of times with no issue. Also flew them from Cape Town, SA to Rome. The flight was no better, no worse than any other major airline that we have been on. Food And liqueur service was good.

Edited by iancal

There are many in the industry who would disagree with you, particularly including pilots.

I've had some experiences with Turkish's maintenance and engineering staff and they're quite professional.

I have certainly heard some worrying things about the pilots, however. I would still fly them (unlike some airlines...Allegiant for example), but I don't have 100% confidence in them.

We are going to Stockholm and have a 2 1/2 hour layover, so technically you are correct. Thanks for?

No need to be rude. An 18 hour flight normally refers to 18 hours in the air, which is certainly not what you will experience.

You can always check legroom (pitch) and seat width on sites such as seatguru.com. It's a good idea to do so before purchasing tickets.

Turkish would not be my first choice, but I've flown them a few times and they are okay.

We used Turkish a few years ago from DC to Cairo with a 2 day stopover in Istanbul (a day or 2 there is great if time allows for both touring and adjusting to time difference). All flights were on time and offered enough air and more than enough food (good snacks, meals are ok, drinks good). This was in Dec and service was very good even though flights were crowded. As said, legroom was the same as most other economy flight. We took Turkish because price was unbeatable and would do it again.

Only caveat: Returning from Cairo, we did not stay in Istanbul but went on to DC the same day with about a 2 hr layover. It was a very very long day (why an overnight somewhere, but cheaper in Istanbul, at the start of your trip). If you return on Turkish and go through Istanbul, you have to be careful to stay within the transit area to maximize easy transit to US flight.

As some have pointed out, the price is really good. Let me be more specific. For my family of 4, originally we planned to fly to Europe on Singapore Airlines. The price was 3800 USD return for the 4 of us.

Then we checked Turkish and the price was 2700USD, ie savings of 1,100USD for the return flight. There is a layover of 3 hours at Istanbul, so my plan is to buy access to a paid lounge for the 4 of us so that we can rest a bit.

There is a layover of 3 hours at Istanbul, so my plan is to buy access to a paid lounge for the 4 of us so that we can rest a bit.

Keep in mind that international flights tend to start boarding close to an hour before departure time, so your 3 hours may be closer to 2 hours. If you add in stopping somewhere in the airport to get a meal, you could be looking at as little as 1.5 hours, so you might reconsider paying for lounge access for 4 people.

I have certainly heard some worrying things about the pilots, however.
That is certainly the focus of the things that I've heard: pilots who can't fly.

Still, I'm sure that before they crashed, the seats were comfortable, the champagne was tasty and the cabin crew were pretty (as they say).

As some have pointed out, the price is really good. Let me be more specific. For my family of 4, originally we planned to fly to Europe on Singapore Airlines. The price was 3800 USD return for the 4 of us.

Then we checked Turkish and the price was 2700USD, ie savings of 1,100USD for the return flight. There is a layover of 3 hours at Istanbul, so my plan is to buy access to a paid lounge for the 4 of us so that we can rest a bit.

The lounge is amazing. You will really enjoy it.

That is certainly the focus of the things that I've heard: pilots who can't fly.

Still, I'm sure that before they crashed, the seats were comfortable, the champagne was tasty and the cabin crew were pretty (as they say).

I also will not fly Turkish:

http://www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2015/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/obama-pilot-unsafe-airlines-won-fly-article-1.2215362

http://en.europenews.dk/-Pilots-Do-not-fly-Turkish-Airlines-78219.html

http://insidetraveller.co.uk/tag/turkish-airlines/

To each his own.

Edited by 6rugrats

Might as well go out on top! :cool:

You know what's tough - even some airlines one would think are top notch can be frightening at times. The Air France A330 that crashed enroute from Rio to CDG is a prime example of multiple experienced pilots avoiding common sense and killing hundreds of people in the process. Automation has somehow made flying both safer and more dangerous at the same time. As planes can do more, pilots can do less...

You know what's tough - even some airlines one would think are top notch can be frightening at times. The Air France A330 that crashed enroute from Rio to CDG is a prime example of multiple experienced pilots avoiding common sense and killing hundreds of people in the process.
Air France has been causing questions for years. For many, AF447 only made concrete the fears that had already been expressed. And a number of subsequent incidents have prompted further questions about how much it has changed - even though the airline itself recognised that it had to improve its safety culture and took action to try to do so.

• 2 months later...

We have flown on Turkish Airlines, and their discount brand, a number of times. Both international and domestic flight. No issues, not that this is the measurement.

We are far more concerned about safety etc. when we fly any of the US connector airlines that the majors use. We avoid their flights and their planes whenever possible. If we have a choice between a convenient feeder airline flight and a less convenient major airline flight the latter will always win out for us.

I am not saying that Turkish is the best or making a comment on their safety record because I do not know. What I am sometimes surprised at is how some people think our NA carriers are so much better in terms of safety, comfort, service, etc. Our belief is that they are not any better and often much worse from an inflight service perspective.

We have flown on Turkish Airlines, and their discount brand, a number of times. Both international and domestic flight. No issues, not that this is the measurement.

We are far more concerned about safety etc. when we fly any of the US connector airlines that the majors use. We avoid their flights and their planes whenever possible. If we have a choice between a convenient feeder airline flight and a less convenient major airline flight the latter will always win out for us.

I am not saying that Turkish is the best or making a comment on their safety record because I do not know. What I am sometimes surprised at is how some people think our NA carriers are so much better in terms of safety, comfort, service, etc. Our belief is that they are not any better and often much worse from an inflight service perspective.

Just curious, why do you feel that US regionals are unsafe?

We did this flight last year IAH to Istanbul. It was a good flight...service and food better than the US airlines I'm sorry to say...the flight got in early also. Just under 10 hours...I did read other reviews re: AC or lack thereof and dressed in layers so actually we were quite comfortable in sleeveless tops casual skirts

I am not saying that US regionals are unsafe. I am saying that our perception is that they are not as safe as the major US airlines. We would always favour the latter over the former notwithstanding the convenience factor.

Several articles, a few investigative documentaries. These are low budget operations. You might be surprised at how little their pilots and crew are paid.

Edited by iancal

I am not saying that US regionals are unsafe. I am saying that our perception is that they are not as safe as the major US airlines. We would always favour the latter over the former notwithstanding the convenience factor.

Several articles, a few investigative documentaries. These are low budget operations. You might be surprised at how little their pilots and crew are paid.

Believe me I DO know first hand the pay scale at the regionals. My son was a captain with one of the regionals. (He is now a pilot with a major US airline) I also know how well trained he was/is. I think that when pay at the regionals is discussed, they use starting pay for first officers and yes, it is low. However, it goes up from there and as a captain my son was making a bit more than his starting salary at the major airline. Granted it goes up from there and as a pilot at this major, he is well paid. I keep in mind that the first officer at a regional may be new and his/her salary low but there is also an experienced captain in the cock pit. I try and not judge their competency by their salary. I also realize that the crew flying for a major airline, unless they came from the military, once flew for a regional. That is how it works.

I hope this will help should you have to fly on a regional but I do understand the reluctance some have to choosing to do so.

• 3 months later...

I thought it important to come back after our Baltic cruise and give an update about our experience on Turkish Airlines. I was the OP of this thread and had some concerns regarding things I had read about Turkish Airlines. Turns out, the concerns were COMPLETELY unwarranted!! We left the week after the terrorist attack at Ataturk and we were a bit unsure about what to expect. My husband and son are both over 6'3 and the legroom was adequate in economy. The stewards/stewardesses were extremely professional and always had a very sincere smile. It was very obvious they were there to make sure we had the best flight experience possible! The food was incredible and the inflight entertainment plentiful. It was probably the best airline we have ever flown!! We were nearer the front of economy and actually used our blankets we brought onboard, but there were passengers further back in the plane complaining it was hot. Maybe it depends on the flight, or maybe airflow is just a little better towards the front of the plane. Ataturk was already back up and running as normal, and that airport is beautiful! We ended up having to book a flight home with a different airline because my husband's aunt passed away while we were gone and he wanted to try to make it home. Our return date to the states was in those few days that flights were affected from the attempted coup. Turkish Airlines was very helpful during the return home as well. I will fly them again in a heartbeat and am so grateful for their impeccable customer care. I just wanted others to know that may be having the same concerns about flying Turkish Airlines as I originally did. Go! It was wonderful! Happy Travels!