Summit Dry Dock 2016 Questions and Comments

farmerslou

I thought it might be informative to have folks comment on anything noteworthy as it relates to this.

If you were on the last cruise before the drydock........or

If you are on the cruise just afterwards.......

Any changes, or improvements that are noteworthy for CCers?:)

I will be on the Summit right after the drydock 3/12. full ship charter. I am in an oceanview cabin on 2 deck so will not know about suite improvments. I just hope that any engine room problems have been fixed right. dont want any problems on this cruise. I presume that Summit is docking in Freeport. Dont know about this shipyard (quality of work) so I guess well just see.

I am just off the Summit. According to the senior officers who attended our CC gathering, here are some of the changes mentioned.

All new linens in cabins

Outdoor movie screen

Normandie changes to Tuscan Grill

Complete overhaul in Solarium (pool and hot tubs were already drained on Sat am and the workers were hanging cloths around the solarium areas)

All new furniture in Solarium (yeah!)

Complete redo of Penthouse Suite (not that I'll ever see that;)

All carpets in cabins that are not being replaced are getting shampooed

Everyone is very excited. There is an officer Head of Housekeeping who came on board on Thursday. She had finished the Infinity dry dock, will do the Summit and then move on to the Millenium for its dry dock. These dry dock changes are her specialty.

I can't wait to find out if Bistro on 5 is getting changed over to sushi during this dry dock.

On our January cruise, our Bo5 server told us it WAS going happen during the March dry dock, but I've not seen any mention of it from anyone else.

To those sailing later in March: please let us know!

Just off Summit as well. What I heard, in addition to Normandie changing to Tuscan Grill and movie screen, is Bistro on 5 becoming Sushi bar (so long to free sushi at 5:30), MDR getting new carpet and/or furniture, theatre getting new stage lighting and one moving part of stage being repaired. Last unconfirmed rumor is that 50 mold-resistant hammocks are being strung on deck 1 for those passengers who wish to save money for booze by foregoing their own cabins.

Recently completed my 5th cruise on the Summit since the previous drydock. The cabins seem to be the place that gets passed by. On my most recent cruise in Jan. 2016, my cabin looked shabby. There was a large hole in the carpeting, stains on carpeting and some bedding, sagging beds, sofa had worn spots, bathroom sink had lots of dings, tile was chipped, latch on sliding glass door didn't latch, peep hole had lost its cover, rack in the closet to hold belts/ties was broken off, and furniture had worn spots. It was clean and the essentials worked. AC, TV, lights, and toilet were all working well. When I heard about the upcoming drydock, I hoped that the cabins would be renovated. They really need a face lift. I am sorry to hear that the indoor pool is going to be renovating. I loved it as it was. I also liked the chairs in the indoor spa pool area. They had soft pads. The outdoor chaises are like sitting on a brick. The proposed changes are set and I am sure they will look nice. I hope that some changes are made in the cabins. I will be on the Summit again in May.

I am just off the Summit. According to the senior officers who attended our CC gathering, here are some of the changes mentioned...

Complete overhaul in Solarium (pool and hot tubs were already drained on Sat am and the workers were hanging cloths around the solarium areas)

All new furniture in Solarium...

Did they say (or does anyone know) what "complete overhaul" means?

Just want to make sure salt water pool stays as is!

"I will be on the Summit right after the drydock 3/12. full ship charter. I am in an oceanview cabin on 2 deck so will not know about suite improvments. I just hope that any engine room problems have been fixed right. dont want any problems on this cruise. I presume that Summit is docking in Freeport. Dont know about this shipyard (quality of work) so I guess well just see."

Was there something wrong with the engine room on the Summit that I didn't hear about that you are worried about??

Recently completed my 5th cruise on the Summit since the previous drydock. The cabins seem to be the place that gets passed by. On my most recent cruise in Jan. 2016, my cabin looked shabby. There was a large hole in the carpeting, stains on carpeting and some bedding, sagging beds, sofa had worn spots, bathroom sink had lots of dings, tile was chipped, latch on sliding glass door didn't latch, peep hole had lost its cover, rack in the closet to hold belts/ties was broken off, and furniture had worn spots. It was clean and the essentials worked. AC, TV, lights, and toilet were all working well. When I heard about the upcoming drydock, I hoped that the cabins would be renovated. They really need a face lift. I am sorry to hear that the indoor pool is going to be renovating. I loved it as it was. I also liked the chairs in the indoor spa pool area. They had soft pads. The outdoor chaises are like sitting on a brick. The proposed changes are set and I am sure they will look nice. I hope that some changes are made in the cabins. I will be on the Summit again in May.

Wow. Unless they fix things up, this seems like a possible reason to go on one of the newer S-class ships.

I checked X's website and could not find the answer, maybe someone here knows. Normandie was an adult only restaurant. Is the Tuscan grille adult only?

I don't think any restaurant on the ship is "adults only."

Some people consider Blu as "adults only" but that's not the case either, just because all AQ staterooms are 2-pax rooms only, you could have one adult/one child in each room, plus Suite pax could dine in Blu on a space available basis.

Last unconfirmed rumor is that 50 mold-resistant hammocks are being strung on deck 1 for those passengers who wish to save money for booze by foregoing their own cabins.

do we need to bring our own sheets or can we use towels from the pool area for blankets. Also, are these single or double hammocks?

To Whatevergoes. Anytime a ship goes into the yard, many jobs are done in the engineroom that can not be done at sea or during the short times the ship is in port.I know this from experience-- I sailed on ocean going tankers as 3 rd engineer for 25 years. Anytime many repairs are done, there is always a chance of poor workmanship that could cause a malfunction. I have never been in the yard that Summit is going in, so I don't know how good they are. The ship is 15 years old with high mileage. so anything can happen. Just like a car with 300,000 miles on it. things can happen.From my experience it usually takes a few days steaming to be sure there are no "Bugs" to iron out.

Wow. Unless they fix things up, this seems like a possible reason to go on one of the newer S-class ships.

We are sailing in May with our family. If we were sailing as a couple without friends or family, I would certainly opt for a different ship.....maybe a different cruise line. I agree that the S class ships are nicer. We travel very often. Most of our cruises have been on celebrity/Azamara. We are hoping that the new refit to the Summit has some wow factor. It certainly needs a lift.

I checked X's website and could not find the answer, maybe someone here knows. Normandie was an adult only restaurant. Is the Tuscan grille adult only?

Hello

Just to confirm...here is a past post from the "official" Celebrity Cruises rep on here:

Our specialty restaurants no longer have any age restrictions.

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

With renovations in the solarium - please confirm that they ARE keeping the thellosotherapy pool - this is the BEST part of the M class ships!!!

I would like to know this, too. Haven't been on X in a while and was looking forward to the t-pool on our May cruise. Can't imagine why they would do away with it.

I would like to know this, too. Haven't been on X in a while and was looking forward to the t-pool on our May cruise. Can't imagine why they would do away with it.

The only thing they are doing to the T-pool is new furniture, reworking the floor. Not sure if the refinishing the pool. That is also our favorite place to hang out.