Need some expert advice

bouelle11

Okay I really hope you can help me folks! This september is my honeymoon. I've got it narrowed down to 2 cruises but now I'm stuck. Im unfamiliar with both ships and I've never been to ANY of these ports! I've been doing tons of research but I really need personal opinions from those who have been on the ships and to these ports. I know there are catergories to search ports and ships but I'd really like a general sense of the entire package.

Option 1 - 8 Days on Carnival Splendor. Departs in Miami and travels to Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba

Option 2 - 7 Days on Carnival Magic. Departs in Port Canaveral and travels to Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Thank you so much!

Both very good itineraries and dont think you can go wrong with either but Magic is a new ship so probably would go that way.

Magic is not new. It is at least 6 years old and I believe the Splendor is about 7, so don't make a decision on the age of the ship.

Edited by champagne123
vvvvvffff

I can't comment on the ships or the ports but ...

I just got off our first cruise, a 7-day cruise with 4 ports. That gives you 2 sea days. Depending upon what you do at each port, that can be tiring.

8 Days and 4 ports will give you 3 sea days.

Assuming you just got married when you take the cruise (vs. a delayed honeymoon), you may want the extra downtime after the wedding.

Comparing the 2 ships side by side on carnival.com, the Magic is 20% bigger, and has more to offer. IMHO, food on Carnival is ok, but I would not go out of my way for it. So, more food choice on Magic is not a factor. I loved the Alchemy Bar (mixed drinks), but I would easily give up the bar for an extra day. Everything else seems to be close enough.

Congrats. If this is the hardest decision you have to make, you are doing well.

Edited by richmke

Magic is not new. It is at least 6 years old and I believe the Splendor is about 7, so don't make a decision on the age of the ship.

It's actually 5 years and 8 years but the Magic does have a lot of the new features unlike the Splendor. Some like new features while others don't.

OP, if the ship is important, go to Carnival.com and compare the ships. It's listed under Explore and then Our Ships.

Another thing to do is read reviews on CC from each ship/itinerary and some of those reviews will have a lot of pictures. You'll be able to get a better idea after reading those reviews.

Edited by fuddrules

It's actually 5 years and 8 years but the Magic does have a lot of the new features unlike the Splendor. Some like new features while others don't.

OP, if the ship is important, go to Carnival.com and compare the ships. It's listed under Explore and then Our Ships.

Another thing to do is read reviews on CC from each ship/itinerary and some of those reviews will have a lot of pictures. You'll be able to get a better idea after reading those reviews.

Carnival Magic's keel was laid on 12 January 2010.

No....it is 6

Okay I really hope you can help me folks! This september is my honeymoon. I've got it narrowed down to 2 cruises but now I'm stuck. Im unfamiliar with both ships and I've never been to ANY of these ports! I've been doing tons of research but I really need personal opinions from those who have been on the ships and to these ports. I know there are catergories to search ports and ships but I'd really like a general sense of the entire package.

Option 1 - 8 Days on Carnival Splendor. Departs in Miami and travels to Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba

Option 2 - 7 Days on Carnival Magic. Departs in Port Canaveral and travels to Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Thank you so much!

Since you asked, I recommend Splendor and her itinerary. We've sailed both ships. They're different but wonderful. (I prefer Splendor over Magic, personally. I like her layout and she's got a lot of pink decor, which I found charming and whimsical.) Another reason to book Splendor is that she's moving to China in 2018 so why not give her a try before she leaves.

We sailed the same ports last February.

Grand Turk - we rented a cabana at Margaritaville. The cabana was a little hut where we securely locked our belongings while we frolicked in the pool or walked the short distance to the beach or down to Jack's Shack.

La Romana - We booked ''Pro Saona for Cruisers'' through Pro Excursions. One of the best snorkeling/beach tours we've ever taken.

Curacao - Our guide never showed up so we just walked around.

Aruba - We booked with Segway Tours Aruba. It was so much fun. This was our second time on segways. We had time at the beach plus we toured the area on the segways. We're in our 50's so if we can do it, anyone can.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. September is a great month to get married - we'll be celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary this September.

Carnival Magic's keel was laid on 12 January 2010.

No....it is 6

No... it is 5.

The age of a ship doesn't start when the keel is laid, it starts when the ship is delivered.

Just like a person. Your age is determined by when you were born, not when you were conceived. :D

Regardless of which you choose, it is a wonderful way to spend your honeymoon. Lots of sun and sea, good food and delicious drinks, exotic ports of call. Plenty of alone time, plenty of social time.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials, and enjoy whichever ship you choose! You can't go wrong with either.

Splendor is getting some refreshing and updating during dry dock this spring. The ship is smaller than Magic, but I really liked it. She is a lot more comfortable than quite a few of the ships. The itinerary for Splendor is also the one I would choose. We've done both and I would not choose to waste a port stop at Amber Cove until they get some infrastructure going and have options expanded. We enjoyed sitting in the pool having a drink and watching people zipline over the pool- but how many hours can you do that? Amber Cove is quite a hike from any established private excursions, and even Carnival's excursions reportedly have you on a bus for at least 45 minutes each way.

Grand Turk, Curacao and Aruba all have amazing beaches and in September the ocean is like bathtub water, whether you snorkle or just stay on the beach. If you dive, the diving is worthwhile too.

IMO, the itinerary on the Splendor is infinitely nicer than the Magic's.

IMO, the Magic is a better ship than the Splendor.

IMO, 8 day cruises (Splendor) are better than 7 day cruises.

2 to 1, Splendor wins.

Go with the Magic. Splendor has a sliiiiiiight edge in itinerary but not much. If the extra day weighs on your mind spend a few days at the Radisson Port Hotel, great place. Magic just received some more 2.0 upgrades. Already had a better water park area. I loved my cruise on the Splendor as I loved all of them. But if someone gave me a choice between the Splendor and another comparable ship with some upgrades....I'd go the other way, that's all I say.