Embarkation Day Lunch

Danbee46

We will be sailing on the Niew Amsterdam on 4/3 for our first HAL cruise. I'd like to know what dining options there are for lunch right after we board the first day. I know the Lido buffet will be open but are there any other options?

There is also the Dive In, on the Lido deck, and the MDR may be open. Go to the MDR to see if it's open between 12:00 and 1:00/1:30. If you ask if it's open, you may be given incorrect information so it's best to see for yourself.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

There is also the Dive In, on the Lido deck, and the MDR may be open. Go to the MDR to see if it's open between 12:00 and 1:00/1:30. If you ask if it's open, you may be given incorrect information so it's best to see for yourself.

If the MDR is open at embarkation (which it is most of the time), only the lower level on Deck 2 will be open.

I just wrote about the embarkation day MDR lunch on Nieuw Amsterdam in the Adventures of Flying Fishy review, but, I would never want to torture anyone to having to read that awful crap... so...

Yes, the MDR was open on the 2/28 sailing, and may I recommend the burger and not the fried chicken (if the menu is the same as it was for us).

They served free champagne.

I would highly recommend.

Edited by FlyingFishy
Edit needed.

I just wrote about the embarkation day MDR lunch on Nieuw Amsterdam in the Adventures of Flying Fishy review, but, I would never want to torture anyone to having to read that awful crap... so...

Yes, the MDR was open on the 2/28 sailing, and may I recommend the burger and not the fried chicken (if the menu is the same as it was for us).

They served free champagne.

I would highly recommend.

I hope it will be open for my April cruise. There are more and more reports of the MDR being closed for embarkation.

We will be sailing on the Niew Amsterdam on 4/3 for our first HAL cruise. I'd like to know what dining options there are for lunch right after we board the first day. I know the Lido buffet will be open but are there any other options?

You will also have "Slice", the personal pizza station on the aft Lido deck as well as the Explorations Cafe (small sandwiches & pastries) near the Crows Nest on Deck 10. Although there is a charge for beverages, the sandwiches and pastries are free in the Explorations Cafe.

My DW and I are two-star Mariners on HAL. I was looking at the Mariner portion of HAL's website and they list embarkation lunch in the MDR as a Mariner perk.

Is that not true? Do they allow non-mariners to eat in the MDR? I don't care, I'm not being a snob or anything.

I suspect that, officially, it is only supposed to be open to Mariners, but that the MDR staff doesn't bother to check credentials. They don't publicize the fact that the MDR is open on embarkation day, do they?

They sometimes have charitable events HAL sponsors or TA's for lunch on embarkation day which results in MDR not open for embarking guests.

About 12-24 months ago I was on a HAL cruise that had a charity event upstairs and was open for us on the lower level, so sometimes they do both. The lower dining menu was different than the usual HAL one (for the first day) - better in fact.

However, the event got a bit noisy, so next time I would avoid this situation.

Don't believe what the check in people tell you. We had them say more than once no MDR lunch only to find out on board it is indeed open- usually the lower level of MDR.

Charity events generally use only one level of the MDR. Check the daily program as soon as you get to your cabin- will be on there

About 12-24 months ago I was on a HAL cruise that had a charity event upstairs and was open for us on the lower level, so sometimes they do both. The lower dining menu was different than the usual HAL one (for the first day) - better in fact.

However, the event got a bit noisy, so next time I would avoid this situation.

I was at such an event in Vancouver a couple of years ago, and we were on the upper level. We gathered there at 11:30 am, and we were pretty much done by 1. I hope we weren't noisy for the passengers dining on the lower level.:o

I was at such an event in Vancouver a couple of years ago, and we were on the upper level. We gathered there at 11:30 am, and we were pretty much done by 1. I hope we weren't noisy for the passengers dining on the lower level.:o

My example was out of FLL as I recall. I remember that they had the event people wait upstairs to board (about 15 minutes before the rest of us), while the passengers (even the Neptunes and 4/5 Stars) had to wait on the first floor.

My example was out of FLL as I recall. I remember that they had the event people wait upstairs to board (about 15 minutes before the rest of us), while the passengers (even the Neptunes and 4/5 Stars) had to wait on the first floor.

That's not nice.:( We boarded about 10:30, as I recall, and had a tour of the ship before lunch, before embarkation began.

Had a HAL rep tell me a few days ago that the policy of Mariners only at lunch in MDR had been changed because it got too complicated and caused too much ill will. He said everyone was welcome now. We shall see come May 21st when we sail.

I was on that cruise, too. They really were noisy upstairs in the MDR when they got to giving out prizes. Our table starting having fun pretending we had numbers for the drawings, and doing a lot of "awww nooo" when we didn't win. It did get crowded hanging around downstairs in the terminal. There isn't enough seating when they don't use the upstairs area for Suites and 4-5 star Mariners.

Had a HAL rep tell me a few days ago that the policy of Mariners only at lunch in MDR had been changed because it got too complicated and caused too much ill will. He said everyone was welcome now. We shall see come May 21st when we sail.

IF the MDR is open, it should be listed in the program and everyone is allowed to have lunch there. But the open time is not long, so if you board late you can't go there. I agree with the posters who say not to ask. You'll almost certainly be told no because that's what they say when they don't know.

Really? That is one of the very few perks that a returning guest has until they have had 30 sailing days with HAL.

From the Mariner Society® Program Benefits page (in part):

Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner. It’s our way of saying Welcome Back, and you’ll start feeling the special treatment as soon as you come aboard. Star Mariners receive:

Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm)

If they take that away, then there's only the Brunch left as a perk for 'entry level' HAL repeat cruisers? :(

I am happy to eat at lido or dive in for embarkation, I will leave it for you Mariners . I will wait until my second cruise [emoji4]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The embarkation lunch is no longer only for Mariners; it's for everyone:)

What they have now for Mariners is an afternoon reception up in the Crow's Nest on embarkation day.

What they have now for Mariners is an afternoon reception up in the Crow's Nest on embarkation day.

I know I was referring to the poster above me, if they wanted to feel special having the mdr for a select few then I will happily avoid it to enhance their experience haha

There is a thread about this new class system and cruise line website also has something on it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Not true (though it may differ from ship to ship).

Though we are frequent Princess cruisers, we sailed on our first HAL cruise departing May 22 (2016) from Seattle (RT Alaska). We tried to do the Embarkation Lunch in the MDR of the Amsterdam but were turned away by an uppity maitre'd who said the MDR Embarkation Lunch was only for 3, 4, or 5 star Mariners. What an unpleasant welcome to HAL. (I had read on these boards b/4 our cruise that the Embarkation Lunch was open to any with at least 1 sailing on any CCL line. That is true on Princess.) That was an inauspicious beginning on HAL and things went downhill from there.

Back to Princess it is.

Save

On our recent Oosterdam sailing, embarkation lunch was mentioned as " Mariners Welcome embarkation lunch" and we were asked for our Stateroom number.

On our first Sea day, there was an Indonesian lunch, which we did not try, but I domthink that this was only for B2B cruisers " Collector sailings"... Unless I am mistaken and this is accessible to anyone.