Bombings in Brussels

ABoatNerd

Taking my first River cruise in 2 weeks.....sailing out of Amsterdam with

an itinerary of the Netherlands and Belgium....I have no plans to cancel

my trip and I want to drink that beer, eat those waffles and the

chocolate that has been mentioned:)

Ghent and Antwerp are a couple of the stops too........

My heart goes out to the victims and their families............

Istanbul screens just after you enter the terminal and before you get to check in, but there really isn't any good solution to it because you just move the queues from one area to another with the same inherent dangers. Phil

YES, Phil, I remember in late June 2006 when we flew out of Istanbul's airport after doing our first cruise, that their airport did screen us BEFORE we could even enter the terminal building. Plus, there was another screening/checking of us and bags before boarding our airplane at the gate.

Good luck to Lois and others who have upcoming trips to Europe, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 36,826 views for these postings.

Thank you, and for sure you will enjoy all above without fear

I will also be on a river cruise in Holland and Belgium that departs April 21 and am taking the Thalys train (previously targeted by terrorists) to Paris for 10 days afterward. I have no plans to cancel.

My prayers go out to the people of Belgium and all the others impacted by this tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers today are also are with the victims and their families and friends.

If I were booked on your river cruise with you, I would still be going as well.

Good luck on your trip Lois. My sister and BIL are on a similar trip to yours (Tulip cruise) but different line. They leave in a few days and will be flying out from Brussels in two weeks.

Such a sad day for the folks who experienced the bomb attacks directly and those who lost loved ones. Scary for all of us. However, I personally harken back to two situations which puts things in perspective for me in terms of future decisions.

9/11 - such a tragedy to lose three planes full of human beings!!! Terrible. However, that same day over 20,000 flights took off and landed successfully in the US.

There are an average of over 90 automobile fatalities per day in the US.

Do I still drive - YES!

Will I still travel nationally and internationally - YES!

It there a risk - YES!

But then, I have had two friends in one year who stumbled after getting out of bed, fell, hit their head and died. (And they only wanted to use the bathroom.)

This will have move the authorities into changing the rules when entering airports. The bomb went off in an area where anyone can walk into an airport even if they don't have a flight to catch.

This was always going to be an issue. Stricter controls required which I believe the travelling public will not have an issue with if it prevents these horror events.

But it wouldn't.

As you say, it was outside the current perimeter.

All that happens if they move the perimeter to control that check-in area, is that the new perimeter becomes the target. While there is a perimeter, there will be a gathering, and there will be an "uncontrolled area where anyone can walk even if they don't have a flight to catch."

Many will change their plans and yes tourism will be hurt, but the tourist who cancel are not beer drinkers. Gotta love Belgium beer and Chocolate LOL

Fortunately, Belgian beer and chocolate are exported:D

I'm scheduled to fly to Venice next month, and I'm not changing my plans to visit my Italian relatives there. But, I assure you, I'm not doing this to show the terrorists they can't change my way of life. Countries who invited this cancer are simply going to have to pay the price. Ruth has got it right.

If people change plans the terrorists win. Just be more vigilant.

You certainly are positive in suggesting that none of us has a brain! Being vigilant means different things to different people and as to dealing with suicide bombers or terrorists wanting to kill with guns it can happen without warning ANYWHERE. Vigilance does not help there. Vigilance is simply to most being aware. It does help you in simply not going to a place you are not comfortable. Being aware of your surroundings and the people that are about. If you are walking and a neighborhood changes and it fells bad then turn around.

I didn't mind boobasimcha's "just be more vigilant" message, but I agree with him about terrorist wining if we change our travel plans. BTW the US state department just issued the following travel alert:

"terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation." Citizens are not being told to cancel travel plans, but are being asked to "exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation," and take "particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events." European governments are continuing to "guard against terrorist attacks and conduct raids to disrupt plots," the alert says, and U.S. citizens should be "prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions."

Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this terrorist attack and the people of Belgium and we won't change our plans to travel to Europe this summer.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

Edited by drarill

didn't mind boobasimcha's "just be more vigilant" message, but I agree with him about terrorist wining if we change our travel plans. BTW the US state department just issued the following travel alert:

"terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation." Citizens are not being told to cancel travel plans, but are being asked to "exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation," and take "particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events." European governments are continuing to "guard against terrorist attacks and conduct raids to disrupt plots," the alert says, and U.S. citizens should be "prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions."

Could the State Dept message above include cruise ships ?

We flew home from Amsterdam on Monday. We had taken four flights during this trip. Only on this one was the screening extra thorough. We had to go through the ultrasound machines and then be patted down. It was not pleasant to say the least. I told my DH that something must be going on. The next morning we woke up to the terrible news. Unfortunate, I don't know of any airport whose arrival or departure area is protected. Anyone can walk into either.

Just heard on CNN that the State Department is warning all American citizens not to go to Europe.

Wolf Blizer said it was an extraordinary statement, that usually a country is specified but not a whole continent.

Any comments here?

a) It is a worldwide travel caution, NOT a warning against travel. It merely advises travelers to "maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness."

b) It is not "extraordinary", it is replacing an earlier caution.

c) It is not specific to Europe but includes the Middle East, Africa and Asia as well -- so, pretty much everywhere outside the Americas.

Anyone can go to the State Department website and see the actual warning rather than repeating hyperbole from the media.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/worldwide-caution.html

Just heard on CNN that the State Department is warning all American citizens not to go to Europe.

Wolf Blizer said it was an extraordinary statement, that usually a country is specified but not a whole continent.

Any comments here?

You can read the travel alert here...https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

I didn't mind boobasimcha's "just be more vigilant" message, but I agree with him about terrorist wining if we change our travel plans.

I can't agree with that either. I don't believe the terrorists' objective in their meetings is "to have tourists change their travel plans."

They are looking for visibility for their cause, caused by destruction and power. If tourists change their travel plans, the terrorists will still aim to achieve deaths from locals or elsewhere, and not go, oh job done. Similarly if people don't change their travel plans, they don't go, oh we lost, let's give up.

The two are unrelated. Some may find it reassuring, or personally rewarding as a defiant act, but it's not going to result in either a win or loss by going or not going.

Any comments here?

This is not true.

No one needs lists. No one here lives under a rock.

I am interested in seeing what cruise lines will do to change up itineraries of the future.

As it stands, RCL are keeping them as is, with the trite remark that passengers will continue to cruise there. Further, that "it's important for the industry to continue to promote Europe, which is reliant on tourism as a US$450bn industry."

This is code for not planning to change itineraries at all at this point.