Killing time in Southampton

Eglesbrech

Given the later check in times that P&O are now enforcing does anyone have any suggestions for interesting things to do in Southampton.

Any hidden gems to see or must do restaurants for lunch?

The shopping centre is fabulous and not far from the terminal. A nice City.

The Titanic museum worth a visit - though I'm not sure that you would want this before you sail ;-) :)

We think Southampton is very boring. The shopping is OK (not as good as Edinburgh) but after all the shopping I do before we pack I certainly wouldn't want to be tempted to buy anything else just before we sail. The city walls are worth a walk but that only takes an hour so I would head to Winchester which is an interesting old city nearby with a whole lot more character

We'll be looking to kill time when we disembark Azura before heading to the airport for our flight home.

At time of booking our flights we wouldn't have had too much time to kill, but thanks to Flybe who have just advised us today that they have cancelled our flight in the morning, the only alternative departs Southampton at 14:50!

Any suggestions for 2 people having to drag bags around the city?

We'll be looking to kill time when we disembark Azura before heading to the airport for our flight home.

At time of booking our flights we wouldn't have had too much time to kill, but thanks to Flybe who have just advised us today that they have cancelled our flight in the morning, the only alternative departs Southampton at 14:50!

I am pretty sure that you can still drop your bags off and the City is about a 10 minute walk away. Ok the shops are the same as everywhere, but the shopping centre seems good to us and a good place to kill time

I am pretty sure that you can still drop your bags off and the City is about a 10 minute walk away. Ok the shops are the same as everywhere, but the shopping centre seems good to us and a good place to kill time
Drop our bags where after we have got off the ship?

I believe that Oceans Gift Shop 160 High Street, Southampton. SO14 2BT will look after suitcases for a fee (Left Luggage) during opening hours. It is near the Junction with Eastgate Street, and very close to West Quay shopping centre.

The shop has moved a few times but this is its present location. phone 02380 331395

see http://www.oceanssouthampton.com/

http://www.localdatasearch.com/southampton/city_centre/gift_shops/oceans-13089776

Edited by Pennbank

I believe that Oceans Gift Shop 160 High Street, Southampton. SO14 2BT will look after suitcases for a fee (Left Luggage) during opening hours. It is near the Junction with Eastgate Street, and very close to West Quay shopping centre.

The shop has moved a few times but this is its present location. phone 02380 331395

see http://www.oceanssouthampton.com/

http://www.localdatasearch.com/southampton/city_centre/gift_shops/oceans-13089776

Many thanks, we have used them before when we disembarked a TA from Miami.

Sorry to hear that, a real nuisance.

Can I ask how long before your cruise Flybe made the change? I am interested because we go to a different airport but the with the same kind of schedules so I hope they don't do the same thing with our flights home.

Sorry to hear that, a real nuisance.

Can I ask how long before your cruise Flybe made the change? I am interested because we go to a different airport but the with the same kind of schedules so I hope they don't do the same thing with our flights home.

We have been notified 68 days prior to departure if that helps.

Remember it may not be in the same location as when last used by you

as it now Oceans Gift Shop 160 High Street, Southampton. SO14 2BT

phone 02380 331395

http://www.oceanssouthampton.com/

I noticed the last time we were in Southampton that the original shop further up High St had closed, looks like it's further down the street on the opposite side facing the TSB.

I noticed the last time we were in Southampton that the original shop further up High St had closed, looks like it's further down the street on the opposite side facing the TSB.

Thats it,

I think it is opposite were it originally used to be. :D

The Titanic Museum is fantastic; I went there before boarding Auroralast october and no t didn't put me off at all even though Aurora is closerin size to Titanic than most P and O ships!
Already done that, but thanks

Sorry, I didn't read this properly. Sorry - I was thinking pre cruise. :(

Pennbank seems to have come good for you though :-)

Hope you manage to sort it all out and that it doesn't distract from having a great holiday

Edited by Presto2

Thanks for all the suggestions, very much appreciated.

Pete thanks for the info re flybe, hopefully we are safe as much closer to fly date.

You're welcome, but I don't want to be a kill joy, but airlines can and do cancel/change flights up to the day of departure. I work in the business travel trade and I have to contact clients on a daily basis due to airlines making changes. Hopefully you will be OK though.

One tip is, if you can check in online, do so. This is because every airline sells more seats than they can accommodate, so those who have not checked in online in advance are those that will be most likely denied a seat when checking in at the airport. No guarantee that if you've checked in online that you won't be bumped off a flight, but it reduces the chances of that happening.

One option, from the website:

The Grand Harbour Cruise Departure Lounge is also available pre or post cruise to all, regardless of whether you have stayed at the hotel.

This Cruise Departure Lounge is available from 7am until 7pm and includes light refreshments and continued use of the hotel facilities. Our concierge will take care of your luggage before arranging a transfer at a pre-arranged time for you directly to your cruise terminal.

Prices start from £30 per person.

Given the later check in times that P&O are now enforcing does anyone have any suggestions for interesting things to do in Southampton.

Any hidden gems to see or must do restaurants for lunch?

We recently had a 2:30pm embark time for Britannia. It was a beautifully sunny day so we decided to head off to the terminal, dropped our bags, parked up and walked back to the tapas bar (just under 10 minutes walk, opposite the entrance to the Town Quay). Nice lunch, bottle of wine, attentive service. Wandered back to ship by 2:15pm; boarded immediately. Bag outside cabin before us.

We recently had a 2:30pm embark time for Britannia. It was a beautifully sunny day so we decided to head off to the terminal, dropped our bags, parked up and walked back to the tapas bar (just under 10 minutes walk, opposite the entrance to the Town Quay). Nice lunch, bottle of wine, attentive service. Wandered back to ship by 2:15pm; boarded immediately. Bag outside cabin before us.

Sounds like a good plan. We are planning lunch in Southampton next week if we are too early for our boarding time.

The Titanic Museum is fantastic; I went there before boarding Auroralast october and no t didn't put me off at all even though Aurora is closerin size to Titanic than most P and O ships!

I am glad to hear this. We almost went there a few years back but something got in the way.