Seriously considering cancelling my S America 2018 cruise

scousersue

Whilst on our last cruise ( S Caribbean) we booked the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires trip in Jan 2018.

we secured a great cabin on the Penthouse Deck, the cost included pre paid gratuities and classic drinks package - so seemed a good deal.

But coming from the UK this is going to be an expensive cruise for us when including flights, hotels either side of cruise etc etc.

I have read some reviews and am now concluding the following:

a) The weather in January could be cold/wet/rough seas?

b) The excursions can be long drives with a short amount of time spent at actual sites?

c) Infinity isn't at her best these days? ( we sailed on her some years ago)

d) we have always thought it would be great to go to S America, but maybe we should consider a land-based option?

The reviews on this Forum are really making us consider cancelling. :confused:

Edited by scousersue

Hi there!

We did the cruise BA to Valparaiso in March 2015. I can not confirm any of your worries. For us it was a great cruise on a great ship!

Read this and you know why: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/South-America-01/south-america-01.html

If you have any questions, just contact us. We would be glad to help!

Edited by Miaminice

It's a great cruise.

Beautiful scenery.

No one can guarantee what the weather will be like. As you sail further south it gets cooler and windy. Could be sunny. Could be rainy. You just have to layer clothing.

Many excursions are not so far from the port. A few require a 45 minute to one hour drive.

I highly recommend it.

Since it is summer time, Buenos Aires and Valparaiso will be nice and warm.

Keith

I have been on a similar cruise around the Horn. It is spectacular if you are a cruise traveler not just a cruiser. Having said that, if you have the options please spend a few days in both embarkation and debarkation cites to make it even more of a great trip. This was one my favorite cruises ever, however we were on a repositioning cruise from LA and sadly Buenos Aires was not one of the ports and we went to Sao Paulo and then to Rio.

Whilst on our last cruise ( S Caribbean) we booked the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires trip in Jan 2018.

we secured a great cabin on the Penthouse Deck, the cost included pre paid gratuities and classic drinks package - so seemed a good deal.

But coming from the UK this is going to be an expensive cruise for us when including flights, hotels either side of cruise etc etc.

b) The excursions can be long drives with a short amount of time spent at actual sites?

d) we have always thought it would be great to go to S America, but maybe we should consider a land-based option?

Since it sounds like the added cost and time to return travel home is a major concern, go with your gut feeling despite others who say it is a great cruise, cancel and do a land tour somewhere where you feel the guarantee (or almost) of weather is assured.

Maybe someone who does not have those concerns would love to get your cabin!

That is, unless you are just looking to be swayed otherwise.

bon voyage

Hi,

We had the same concern for our January 2017 cruise. Finally found out my TA was organizing a cruise in March 2017 with NCL for 2000$ less per person.I know it's not Celebrity but for 4000$ less my loyalty ends and we decided to go to SA with NCL more for the destination than the ship. This 4000$ will pay for our airfare and hotel pre and post. We even got a bev package and a dining package on NCL.

So maybe if you want to go to SA you could look at other option?

We did the Around the Horn cruise in January 2014 and it was one of our favorites. We spend five days in Buenos Aires pre-cruise and one day in Chile, post-cruise. We had done a repo from Florida through the Panama Canal to Chile in 2011 and done three days post cruise in Chile.

a) weather- we found the weather to be a bit hot in Buenos Aires, but as the ship proceeded South, it cooled. We had little rain, no storms or rough seas. Cape Horn was great.

b) a couple of our excursions did involve a lot of driving, but the wildlife and scenery that we saw was worth the trip.

c) We have done four cruises on Infinity and love it. In fact, we like the older M class ships more than the larger S class.

d) If you want to take in some of the ports in the South, I think all those flights would be more of a pain.

Here is my review of our cruise

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

Hi,

We had the same concern for our January 2017 cruise. Finally found out my TA was organizing a cruise in March 2017 with NCL for 2000$ less per person.I know it's not Celebrity but for 4000$ less my loyalty ends and we decided to go to SA with NCL more for the destination than the ship. This 4000$ will pay for our airfare and hotel pre and post. We even got a bev package and a dining package on NCL.

So maybe if you want to go to SA you could look at other option?

Friends are doing the tour on NCL Sun right now and are quite disappointed. Other friends did the cruise with HAL, which offered a great itinerary incl. Falklands etc., and loved it.

We're on this route Jan 2017, I wouldn't cancel it for the world. The rate we got for a C2 with the 123 promo back in 2015, we won't get that again. It's still not a cheap cruise, but it's now thousands more than we paid.

The Rhapsody had some bad weather and missed ports during their March sailing, I am hoping January is better. But obviously as you get further south, the weather will get colder. After all, penguins live there :)

Edited by sr4mjc

My $.02 since we just returned from the Infinity going around the horn from Buenos Aires to Santiago a week and a half ago....

You could have never made me believe the Infinity was as old as reported. The ship was in great ship, and what issues developed maintenance wise, were taken care ASAP. In addition, I have never, NEVER, experienced more attentive, friendly, sincere seeming staff in any of our other 15 cruises. If it was an act, they deserve an award.

We rarely cruise the Caribbean anymore, focusing on the more unique itineraries, i.e. Baltics, Mediterranean, Alaska, etc. and due to the excursions we did, some with 2 hour drives, this cruise stands above any other we have ever done. Driving 2 hours and taking a Zodiac boat to a remote Island with the Pira Tours staff in Ushuaia to be the only 20 people to walk among the Penguins while the ship excursions anchored off the shore will be a memory I will never forget. We scrimped and saved to do this cruise and a pre-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls, and I have no regrets, other than not also tagging on a trip to Macchu Pichu after.

The flight from the Northern US was grueling....really grueling, but it is what it is. If we could have afforded Business class, I would do it in a heartbeat, but, we couldn't and didn't.

I might be a little unusual, but I was really hoping we might see Cape Horn at her meanest. It's part of the charm of saying you sailed around Cape Horn (well, not really around it as I found out, but right up to it and then back through the Beagle Channel). As it was, we had 60 MPH winds that forced the Star Princess to turn back and unless you went outside on your balcony or the decks, you would have never known. We left BA in 80 degree temps, got to Ushuaia in high 30's, and returned to Valparaiso/Santiago to 80's again. Makes packing a little interesting, but again, that's part of the adventure.

I can't for the life of me think of any reason that I would tell someone NOT to take this journey, but that is for each individual to decide.

Edited by clojacks

I took this cruise in January and loved it. The ship did miss one port and it is easy to get sick due to the extreme weather changes, plus some of the ports do require long drives, but you forget all that when you see the beautiful scenery and especially the penguins.

Be sure and book the penguin tour given by Pira Tours to Martillo Island when in Ushuaia. They are usually hard to get hold of but do eventually respond if you keep trying. For me, seeing the king and gentoo penguins there was the highlight of this, or almost any other cruise I have taken. So worth it!

I also thought Infinity looked great after her drydock and the food and service were fine, although you do always get the complainers. It won't be Seabourn or Oceania but it is clean, bright and well maintained IMO.

Edited by ptrpanpens

The seas can be rough anytime and anyplace. We did this cruise and it was calm except for one day. As to weather you are going to about the same latitude as the Shetland Islands. It can be cold there even in summer. That is why the area is so beautiful and rugged.

Really - not what we experienced except for Puerto Madlyn if you want to see the penguins there. Go to your roll call or one for a 2017 cruise and you will see lots of private tours. In the Falklands we had 4 hours on site with the penguins on a private tour booked thru Trip Advisor. Plenty of time.

Seriously? Celebrity ships are kept spotless. sadly a lot of posting here has turned into gripes about little and a significant number of comletely fake posts.

You have a land based option. Arrive early before you sail and stay in Argentina after you depart the ship. remember S America is the same size as all of Europe.

Disappointing that you would consider cancelling traveling thru some of the most remote land on earth - no roads for hundreds of miles. It was the best cruise we ever took! And yes it was a bit rough for one day, but so was the coast off Norway.

We were on Infinity b2b2b in February & March 2015. We enjoyed all three cruises, each very different from the other. Weather ranged from quite hot to very cold, but we came prepared for that.

If you do go try to plan some extra time for Buenos Aries.

I also definitely recommend if at all possible, go to Iguaza Falls. Absolutely beautiful and a short flight from Beunos Aries. We stayed at the hotel that is inside the park, highly recommend.

http://www.iguazuargentina.com/en/

Friends are doing the tour on NCL Sun right now and are quite disappointed. Other friends did the cruise with HAL, which offered a great itinerary incl. Falklands etc., and loved it.

HAL is ok if you can handle the terrible smoking policy.

Wow. what lovely responses and so positive.

We loved Iceland and Norway cruises, Alaska and NYC to Quebec so I guess we will love S America ..... I actually did not enjoy the S Caribbean so much as i am not a beach person. I was just a bit shocked by the posted Reviews I had been reading and it definitely made us take a step back and reconsider. I will do more homework on the Trip Reviews that have been given links to and I will look at the some of the recommended shore excursions. WE prefer to use local guides/drivers so will also look at those.

I am feeling more positive now and ready to start looking at the detail.

thank you to all that posted.

Hi there!

We did the cruise BA to Valparaiso in March 2015. I can not confirm any of your worries. For us it was a great cruise on a great ship!

Read this and you know why: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/South-America-01/south-america-01.html

If you have any questions, just contact us. We would be glad to help!

Many thanks ! wow that is a fantastic report you have done on your trip. Look forward to reading it all.

Many thanks ! wow that is a fantastic report you have done on your trip. Look forward to reading it all.

You are welcome! If you like the report and the excursions sound good to you just contact us by using the email on the website. I can send you a list with all the companies we used.

On our way to London for the weekend :)

We did this trip a couple of years ago and I was very disappointed. We missed 3 ports and it felt like a transatlantic cruise at a high price. We never got to see penguins because that port was cancelled. Ushuaia was the best! We spent a few days in Santiago pre cruise and about 5 days in Buenos Aires which was the best part of the trip. Absolutely loved B.A.

We boarded the Infinity on February 15, 2015 for a B2B2B series. The cruise included an Antarctic run followed by the BA to Valparaiso and then on through the Panama Canal (our fourth full transit) to Ft. Lauderdale. So "Miaminice" was on what was our middle leg. We enjoyed the series so much that we have re-booked the last two legs for March, 2017. If the cruise preceding our boarding in 2017 had been an Antarctic run we would have repeated that too. Throughly enjoyed all legs.

I'm sure the recent reports are an anomaly. We know the F&B on board, and there is no way he will put up with anything other than top notch performance from his people.

Additionally, 2018 is two years off. No telling what it will be like by then!