Too Much Dining Space Given to My Time?

My husband and I enjoy traditional seating and enjoy meeting fellow passengers, but after the last cruise we took alone (without kids or extended family) we ended up at a four top with a couple who did not speak English. We do not speak any French, so it was an extremely awkward dinner. The other couple requested a seating change (thank goodness for both couples!), so we sat alone for the rest of the cruise. Our next cruise alone will be MTD.

I think both styles of dining have their benefits. When it was just my DH and me, we chose MTD because we felt that we got through our meals faster than in traditional. Plus my husband wears a cochlear implant which makes conversations with others challenging when there is background noise (others talking, plates + silverware colliding, and so on). We have had a few encounters with others that turned uncomfortable because my husband misheard or simply did not hear at all. You would be surprised how rude people can be in those situations.

Now that we have a child. We choose a set time. It's easier to arrive at our table with it already prepared for a little one. Crayons, paper, booster seat, fruit, etc. We request a small table in hopes that we don't sit with others. If we are seated with others we deal with it, but it's not ideal for us.

I think both styles of dining have their benefits. When it was just my DH and me, we chose MTD because we felt that we got through our meals faster than in traditional. Plus my husband wears a cochlear implant which makes conversations with others challenging when there is background noise (others talking, plates + silverware colliding, and so on). We have had a few encounters with others that turned uncomfortable because my husband misheard or simply did not hear at all. You would be surprised how rude people can be in those situations.

Now that we have a child. We choose a set time. It's easier to arrive at our table with it already prepared for a little one. Crayons, paper, booster seat, fruit, etc. We request a small table in hopes that we don't sit with others. If we are seated with others we deal with it, but it's not ideal for us.

I don't doubt how rude people can be. It is just sad to read what I have highlighted above. We have found that most people we have sat with can find a way to 'get along' through dinner. We have determined that the best size table is really no more than 6 or 8. Larger than that makes it almost impossible to talk across the table and lots of smaller conversations happen (which can be good) as long as most of the tablemates show up.

Edited by Paulette3028

I'm constantly hearing about people who want traditional dining being forced into MyTime, because Traditional is full. Despite this it seems that Royal is dedicating more and more of its dining room space to My Time. I'm wondering, what are the advantages to Royal for forcing people who want a traditional dining experience into the My Time experience? Why does Royal over-allocate My Time space? Has anyone been denied My a Time and was forced into Traditional?

In full disclosure, I prefer having a fixed traditional dining time, mostly because the show times are scheduled to coordinate with those fixed times. I also like making new friends by sharing the same dinner table with them throughout the week. I know some people prefer My Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly My Time Dining has more demand that traditional. Otherwise, they wouldn't keep expanding it. Furthermore, the more people do it, the more manageable it becomes for the cruise line.

Your preferences: fixed time to coordinate with shows and sitting with people you don't know, while perfectly reasonable, are rather dated. They are not shared by most of us cruising these days.

I have zero interest in sharing my dinner table with strangers.

The only thing that comes to mind is the number of empty tables I see in traditional, most every night. Those tables cannot typically be used by folks in MTD waiting for tables, so the space goes wasted.

I don't think the current system (traditional and MTD) can last with the way it's currently implemented. I think they either go to an all MTD system, or give the traditional folks some set amount of time to get to their table, after which they lose that spot for the night and have to go to MTD if they still want to eat in the MDR.

Bob, I think you are correct in your assumption. Last week (Easter) we had traditional dining and there were some 3 tables next to us that were empty and were being used for MTD overflow. Thank God as we had 3 small children with us, and they were a bit noisy, and it helped that some nights those tables went unoccupied. LOL

There was also, a table for 12 with only one couple was sitting. Dining experience has certainly changed over the years.

I prefer same set time every night. I just dont want eat with strangers. MTD has so far guaranteed us that when I just prebook same time every night. . But could we actually get a table for two on traditional dining as well?

I prefer same set time every night. I just dont want eat with strangers. MTD has so far guaranteed us that when I just prebook same time every night. . But could we actually get a table for two on traditional dining as well?

Yes, there are tables for two in traditional, but many fewer than in MTD.

Edited by clarea

I don't doubt how rude people can be. It is just sad to read what I have highlighted above. We have found that most people we have sat with can find a way to 'get along' through dinner.

In our experience the rudeness has been from people who do not understand what a cochlear implant is or people who see a seemingly healthy young man and think he is being rude by "ignoring" what they are saying. People are quick to jump to conclusions.

DH does not like to sit at a table and announce at the beginning "Oh, BTW I am hearing impaired." It's just not a comfortable thing for him.

We once sat with a couple who was just awful. The woman turned to her husband and said "Ugh, what is wrong with him? How can someone be deaf at that age? There must be more to the story. Let's request a different table for the rest of the cruise" She must have forgotten that I am not hearing impaired and heard every word she said. I didn't say a word to her about it because it's not the time nor the place to argue with people. I never knew such ugliness existed in the world!

Not sure that's a valid statement. With the exception of the first night out (which always seems to be a tough long night for the dining room) we would sit down at 8pm and be finished by 9:15. That's for all three courses...

Our servers paced our meals very well and we never felt rushed or felt we sat too long.

1 1/4 hrs. for dinner is perfect. Were you at a 2-top table? My comment was based on what I've read and experienced personally. That's valid enough for me. PLUS my sister does MTD for every cruise, of which there are many, and is always finished with dinner usually within your time frame, 1 1/4 hours and as you, never felt rushed. We, on the other hand do traditional dining and it always takes at least 2 hours,. We sit at a large table so that might take longer than if we sat alone. We would do MTD but the nightclub show times are geared to traditional times and as others, we like the sameness of our tablemates and wait staff. We would sit down at 8 and get up after dessert no earlier than 10pm.

Clearly My Time Dining has more demand that traditional. Otherwise, they wouldn't keep expanding it. Furthermore, the more people do it, the more manageable it becomes for the cruise line.

Your preferences: fixed time to coordinate with shows and sitting with people you don't know, while perfectly reasonable, are rather dated. They are not shared by most of us cruising these days.

I have zero interest in sharing my dinner table with strangers.

I guess I'm trying to gauge if there is more demand for My Time, or if Royal prefers having more people in it. Like I said before, I've never heard of anyone being denied My Time. It seems like Royal pushes people into it.

I've been out of the "know" since I typically only read the boards when we have a cruise booked.....so last night I booked 5 rooms on an upcoming Freedom cruise and was surprised when my TA told me TD was unavailable.....

Anyway, I was surprised by the only available dining was MTD and we all love the late Traditional Dining hour. Our first TA told me that MTD was the only thing available and that felt "wrong" so I called our Travel Agency, got another TA, and she called Diamond Reservations and got our dining time changed since each room was Diamond.

We have tried MTD-like Situations on other cruise lines and we just did not enjoy it. We find the service is better in TD and you build up a rapport with your dining staff. We have had small tables/large tables and enjoyed them all. This trip is a large one, so we'll all eat together during the late seating.

The best dining experience I have had regarding social dynamics is on Quantum and then on Legend.... allow me to explain.

Quantum... I sailed solo. I was able to sit in all free venues in a group/shared table, meeting new cruisers every day. In fact several of them became friends during the cruise seeing them on excursions, crashing into each other on the bumper cars, etc etc. Now when I wanted a private dinner with friends (ie. JudyGarland or Marion Mom & Beachcruzer) no problem, the flexibilty was there to do specialty or book a non-group table. Rather have a pizza or just stay in the CL all night and munch on hors d-ouvres? I can do that too without taking up a table that could be used for another cruiser standing in line.

Legend... a traditional dining ship. Sailed with ex-GF and her son. Had no problem once again sitting at a group table in MTD, meeting various new cruisers each time. That group table was with the same waiter/asst waiter and at the very same table. Several nights had an intimate dinners for two eslewhere in Chops and Izumis, and a couple of others times able to change reservations to include JudyGarland and hubby up in Chops. Also did WJ .

Basically on Legend I ran my DD experience like a morphed version of MTD... did what I want when I wanted. There was not one night at that MTD group table that there was a single chair empty, and the entire MTD venue was full with a line-up at th Maitre-D section. Looking down onto the Traditrional Tables there were many empty chairs... people at specialty, WJ, room service, wherever those tradiotnal cruisers went was their choice!

I feel all RCL traditional ships should become 100% MTD. Imho this would give every choice possible to the cruiser. Those who are traditionalist can easily book every single night at the exact same table, same waiter, same everything all you want pre-cruise from your cruise planner or by calling C&A. That is your choice! For me and others who enjoy the variety and excitement of different venues and menues, I can keep my flexibility, still sit with fellow cruisers in a group table whenever I dine MTD, but I can do specialty whenever I want and add add people to reservations in various venues without screwing up my table mate or staff in the traditional MDR. And RCL wins... no empty seats, no staffing issues, they know exactly which tables are being seated at any given time, easier for Maitre'D, easier for kitchen staff, all tables are free to interpretation other than those that are pre-reserved pre-cruise in your cruise planner.... and if you don't show up that table is given up within 15min.... just like it is now. No change there.

Win-win-win imho

Edited by Hoopster95

Hoopster: I'd agree with you, but only if people in MTD have the choice of sitting with others or by themselves. On my solo Freedom cruise last June, I had no option and was required to sit by myself (they told me they had no shared tables in MTD). Perhaps this has changed? I'll be cruising solo again on Freedom at the end of the summer and was given MTD again, so I'll check it out.Freedom definitely seems to push MTD.

Edited by Truluv

Have never see many empty spots except for maybe 2 when people go to specialty dining. It is very hard in fact to get a MDR spot unless you book a year or so out. If not early booking you go on a waiting list.

On our last cruise on Indy, we had late traditional. It seemed like there more empty tables than ones being used. At least in the area we were in

The best dining experience I have had regarding social dynamics is on Quantum and then on Legend.... allow me to explain.

Quantum... I sailed solo. I was able to sit in all free venues in a group/shared table, meeting new cruisers every day. In fact several of them became friends during the cruise seeing them on excursions, crashing into each other on the bumper cars, etc etc. Now when I wanted a private dinner with friends (ie. JudyGarland or Marion Mom & Beachcruzer) no problem, the flexibilty was there to do specialty or book a non-group table. Rather have a pizza or just stay in the CL all night and munch on hors d-ouvres? I can do that too without taking up a table that could be used for another cruiser standing in line.

Legend... a traditional dining ship. Sailed with ex-GF and her son. Had no problem once again sitting at a group table in MTD, meeting various new cruisers each time. That group table was with the same waiter/asst waiter and at the very same table. Several nights had an intimate dinners for two eslewhere in Chops and Izumis, and a couple of others times able to change reservations to include JudyGarland and hubby up in Chops. Also did WJ .

Basically on Legend I ran my DD experience like a morphed version of MTD... did what I want when I wanted. There was not one night at that MTD group table that there was a single chair empty, and the entire MTD venue was full with a line-up at th Maitre-D section. Looking down onto the Traditrional Tables there were many empty chairs... people at specialty, WJ, room service, wherever those tradiotnal cruisers went was their choice!

I feel all RCL traditional ships should become 100% MTD. Imho this would give every choice possible to the cruiser. Those who are traditionalist can easily book every single night at the exact same table, same waiter, same everything all you want pre-cruise from your cruise planner or by calling C&A. That is your choice! For me and others who enjoy the variety and excitement of different venues and menues, I can keep my flexibility, still sit with fellow cruisers in a group table whenever I dine MTD, but I can do specialty whenever I want and add add people to reservations in various venues without screwing up my table mate or staff in the traditional MDR. And RCL wins... no empty seats, no staffing issues, they know exactly which tables are being seated at any given time, easier for Maitre'D, easier for kitchen staff, all tables are free to interpretation other than those that are pre-reserved pre-cruise in your cruise planner.... and if you don't show up that table is given up within 15min.... just like it is now. No change there.

Win-win-win imho

It's not a win for people who would like to meet and build a new friendship over the course of a week.

I like this idea. It seems pragmatic.

Tom

Just my personal thought. I they can figure out a way to utilize the 4 MDR for MTD, keeping it that cruisers can pic and choose their venue and time, it could work. Traditional diners could pick and time and specific restaurant(s) for their preference. If all other cruise lines have figured this out, why not RCI for Anthem! We're booked for 12 night upcoming Oct, picked times and venues for MTD. Sure hope it stays in place or very little minor adjustments.

Again, this is just MY personal thought and opinion. In respect all rights and hope others will do likewise.

Thanks for reading.

It's not a win for people who would like to meet and build a new friendship over the course of a week.

Big time win for you...

Go to your shared group table on night #1. Ask your table mates if they are wanting to sit together every night at this table... like minded traditional seating cruisers will find each other. At the very least instead of making friends with only one or two couples for entire cruise, you will have the positive opportunity of making even more friends by sitting with various other couples whom you wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet... and they might be better friends to you than the first couples would be.

You win and I win on the same cruise ship on the same sailing.

When arriving at the MTD station we have always been asked if we would like to share,

We prefer a table for two, so some times may have to wait.

After trying a few different tables, locations and waiters, we usual find a favourite.

When we leave the dining room each night we book a table for the next night, and choose our prefered waiter.

By booking a time, when we arrive (in line) we are seated when we get to the front, whereas those who did not book , may need to wait for their desired table to become available.

It works very well.

So much better than Traditional dinning (for us)

Our worst dinning experience has always been in Trad dining,

Has anyone been able to share a table on Freedom for dinner in My Time Dining since last June? I'll be back on Freedom again this summer, and am hoping that shared tables are going to be an option this year.