Eating with diabetes

We are going on a back to back on the Freedom in 2 weeks. What do people that have diabetes do with their food choices to maintain their blood sugar reading? Do you eat just salads and NO sweets ,pastas, and ice creams ? Or do you give your self more insulin and cheat? Its hard after paying all that money and trying to not have a good time. I do not drink so that is not a problem. I do love to eat and I have a sweet tooth and I am 75 years old. Please give me some good ideas please. Thank you .:confused::confused:

It's hard to not indulge, at least a little bit, but I think there are enough choices to keep it under control, without feeling like you are depriving yourself. Hopefully, you'll be able to strike a balance and enjoy yourself.

We are going on a back to back on the Freedom in 2 weeks. What do people that have diabetes do with their food choices to maintain their blood sugar reading? Do you eat just salads and NO sweets ,pastas, and ice creams ? Or do you give your self more insulin and cheat? Its hard after paying all that money and trying to not have a good time. I do not drink so that is not a problem. I do love to eat and I have a sweet tooth and I am 75 years old. Please give me some good ideas please. Thank you .:confused::confused:

It really shouldn't be any different that when you go out to a restaurant for dinner. Carbs and sweets are the key things to watch but there are sugar free alternatives for all deserts as well as ice cream. Also sauces are a hidden culprit when trying to control one's diabetes so suggest you order all food in MDR with sauce on the side and use it sparingly.

You can also speak with the Matre "D at each food venue as they too can assist you in food selection.

Be very careful. The so called "SUGAR FREE" deserts such as cookies pies and cakes are really loaded with Carbohydrates which turn into sugar. From time to time they do offer REAL sugar free deserts such as jello, pudding, and mousse.I have discussed this with various RCCL Execs. and altho they profess understanding, nothing changes. At 75 and above we all cheat a little, just watch your sugar/carb intake thereafter.

I sailed on Oasis last September and there are a lot of low carb, high fat options. Talk to your server and tell them you are on a low carb diet. They bought me double meat and double vegetables. As noted, you need to be careful with their sugar free desserts because they are chalked full of chemicals and will make your blood sugar go up. I had bacon and eggs for breakfast. Tuti salad for lunch, MDR for dinner with plenty of low carb options. Also, stay away from the fake eggs in the Windjammer. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Try to eat as close to what you eat at home. However, indulge occasionally if you want, but not at every meal. I fine breakfast and lunch the easiest to maintain control. At dinner I try to skip the bread and avoid the white stuff, rice, potatoes, pasta flour. I eat some salads and a lot of protein.

Carb control is the key.

As someone else posted, you need to watch the sugar free items. The cookies are loaded with carbs. Flour is a real no no.

Do your best and test often. And, don't beat yourself up if you stray. Also, exercise if you can. Take the stairs if you are able or walk the out door track.

You will be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

In the Main Dining Room, they take special diets very seriously. A request must be made prior to sailing. Some people next to us had special allergies and diets. Their food was separately prepared every night and the maitre d checked on them at each meal to make sure they were happy with their food. They had MTD and just had to sit at the same table each night. They were treated "Royally".

You can email: special _needs@ rccl.com or call them at (866) 592-7225

I wear an insulin pump and carb count. After 20 years of it, I've gotten fairly good at it. There are plenty of healthy options available. I usually skip desserts unless it's something very enticing to me....and when I do have dessert, I add more insulin accordingly.

Have your TA (if you used one), if not call RCCL yourself, and let the special needs dept know you are diabetic. They will give you the menus for the next day at dinner in the MDR. You then choose what you want to eat and the chef will prepare it for you. I do this on every cruise and I am always well taken care of by the Maitre D, chef and wait staff.

I've made amazing strides using an app named "Carb Control" consistently. This gives me a strong awareness of how many carbs/calories I've got left to eat in a given day.

All of the suggestions in this thread are great. Eat the same way on the cruise like you do at home. Make the staff aware of your carb limits. Try not to cheat!!

Staying away from alcohol is also a huge positive. Enjoy your cruise on FOS and report back on how you were able to control your blood sugar, recommended venues, etc. I'll be on her in November!!

OP, is this a new, recent diagnosis for you? The reason I ask is simply the way you worded your question - asking "Do you eat just salads and NO sweets ,pastas, and ice creams ? Or do you give your self more insulin and cheat?". It makes me think you actually haven't discussed this with your doctor and don't know where to start.

An excellent suggestion is to meet with a dietitian or nutritionist, someone who specializes in counseling diabetic patients. When I was diagnosed some years ago, my doctor referred me to a class at the hospital and I learned SO MUCH information on how to make good choices, how to read food labels, that you CAN have carbohydrates and even some sugars. So many people think it is just giving up sweets and they make no other changes - big mistake.

As someone else mentioned, carbohydrates turn to sugar in your body; this is why you must be careful and limit them, and choose the right carbohydrates. You can still have potatoes - but they should be sweet potatoes. You can still have bread but it should be whole wheat bread with lots of fiber in each slice. Brown rice and whole wheat pasta are acceptable as well.

The thing is you will need to learn to "count your carbs", and once you get the hang of it, you can survey a buffet or glance at a menu and pretty much know what you can and can't (should and shouldn't!) have.

Please see a dietitian right away and s/he will help you get started. I have been on many cruises since my diagnosis and have never gained weight on any of them.

You can do this. :) All the best to you.

Drink water, carbonated water, unsweetened coffee, or tea, no juices or soda (regular or diet). Every meal or snack should include protein, fat (especially healthy types like olive oil or nuts), and whole plant food (non-starch veggies, fruit, some whole grains). When you decide to eat a "treat" food like bread or a special dessert, do so with a meal to keep blood sugar as stable as possible, and savor small portions slowly.

If you expect your activity level to be significantly different on the cruise, that may also affect your insulin.

I am a type I diabetic on a pump. Admittedly, being on a pump makes it easier because I can count carbs. That said, a good rule to follow is the more straight forward and simple the meal choice, the better. It is much easier to determine how much insulin to take for a steak and baked potato than it is for something with a sauce. I find sorbet, panicotta, or a fruit tarte to be a good desert choice.

I was diagnosed a year in a half ago. I did a lot of research and decided to go low carb, high fat. I eat less than 30 carbs a day. I dialed in my diet to get 75% of my calories from fat, 20% from protein, and 5% from carbs. I lost 50 lbs in 4 months, brought my A1c from 8.9 down to 4.7, and dropped my blood pressure and cholesterol #'s. On the Oasis of the Seas, they had omelets at Johnny Rockets, MDR, and the Wipeout cafe. I also had salmon in the morning. Park Cafe has great salads with roast beef on it. The MDR has the Tuti salads which are customized. The solarium cafe had a lot of low carb options and very good fish. You can enjoy our cruise and go low carb.

You've already received some good advice. I'm just going to add in one more detail: Remember that exercise is part of the equation too. If you add in more exercise, which is pretty easy to do on vacation, you can eat more carbs.

Be very careful. The so called "SUGAR FREE" deserts such as cookies pies and cakes are really loaded with Carbohydrates which turn into sugar. ......

Per above ... Please do be very careful. The "Sugar Free" really is seldom carbohydrates free. Actually in some cases, it's worst than eating the real thing. Sadly, many people don't realize this.

LuLu

Thanks for ALL the great ideas on trying to keep my blood sugars in control with all the different choices. I plan on bringing my tester and my insulin pens with me. I only wish I have the will power to keep my hands off everything in sight. I plan on having a great time. :) THANKS A LOT .

I drink the plexus pink and have found it takes away my desire for sweets and carbs

I used to eat M&Ms all the time. I had a bag at work and at home and I carried them in small baggies with me at all times. Not anymore.

I haven't even eaten one small bag of M&Ms in over 8 months.

I have no desire to eat them.

You can email me at yahoo.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wear an insulin pump and carb count. After 20 years of it, I've gotten fairly good at it. There are plenty of healthy options available. I usually skip desserts unless it's something very enticing to me....and when I do have dessert, I add more insulin accordingly.

Agree with MJON and I too am on an insulin pump. First always remember you are not disabled! Cruising is not difficult on the dining front but it is in YOUR ballcourt and you must decide what are your choices!

Sugar free desserts can be great dependant on what they are. Sugar free does not necessarily mean carb free! I prefer the "real" desserts and share with husband or friend. If I end up having one for myself I just eat a couple of bites and pour salt or catsup on the rest until they take it away to avoid temptation. A few more units of insulin may also be in order.

Dinner choices may be a meat and those wonderful vegetable choices. Pasta.......ask for an appetizer size instead of a full dinner plate.

Use stairs......walk the deck.....use the gym and have fun and use your imagination.

Thank you OP for posting. I just found out I have diabetes and our cruise starts 4/17. I have been wondering about a lot of things concerning food. My problem is, I am a picky eater to start with.

Also thanks to all the poster for all the helpful information. It has been very beneficial.