Pacific Princess Pool

NC&KY

We leave in a couple of months for a cruise on Pacific Princess out of Dover up the Norwegian coast to well above the Arctic Circle. I am not inclined to take a swimming suit because the high temperature in Dover will be in the mid 60's and it will never be that warm in any other port. Am I correct in assuming that the pool on the ship is not heated?

They would be great, except they're not 'hot' any more. Apparently (despite the warning signs) someone had a heart attack and sued.

Not according to a recent Pacific Princess review - the hot tubs were HOT - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2307836&page=7 - Post #137

Edited by mreasier

I've never (yet) sailed on Pacific Princess but, being one of the ships acquired from Renaissance, isn't it the only remaining Princess ship (now that Ocean Princess has been sold) with a salt water pool? Like I said, I haven't sailed that ship yet so I could be mistaken...

The Pacific Princess does have a salt water pool. Though the water temp was perfect in French Polynesia (where the sea water temp was 86F), when the ship traveled north the pool water temp cooled considerably to the point where few people even braved it. This leads me to believe that, even if they do have the ability to heat the water, it wasn't being heated.

The hot tubs, however, were plenty hot and perfect, which is saying something for a Princess ship.

• 1 month later...
I just got off the Pacific Princess and the pool was fresh water. The thalassotherapy pool on the spa deck was salt.

Is the thalassotherapy pool heated?

Thanks for the quick response. I really do like the fresh water better although maybe in the Baltic it doesn't matter. When you are in the Caribbean and in a saltwater pool, it is not very refreshing.

BTW I do like the special spa pool (used it on one cruise) but don't know that it is worth the extra $$.

All of the former "R" ships, including the Pacific, were designed for salt water, not fresh water. To convert to fresh water would mean a major reconstruction/renovation. To my knowledge, that hasn't been done. The Pacific's last dry dock was in 2014 and her next is scheduled for a year from now.

We were on the Pacific Princess in December on a Panama Canal cruise (hi JF!). The pool on Deck 9 is a salt water pool. I heard that the water was heated slightly, but since the ambient temperature was warm, I could not tell. The two hot water tubs were VERY hot.

Regarding the thalasso-therapy pool at the Spa, it is heated at a similar temperature to the hot tubs. Because of the thalasso salts, one can float very easily. There's a sign (like the ones by the hot tubs) recommending people against staying in the thalasso-pool for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I bought a pass for the thalasso-pool: $129 for the 17-night itinerary. Day passes were not available for sale. Although the spa is toward the bow of the ship, there's a glass wall that protects you from the wind. I found the thalasso-therapy pool to be more protected from the elements than the two hot tubs by the main pool. It was wonderful! :p