Food to take off ship

Mr. Gumphere

I have been searching for the discussion that because most of their ports are in u.s.a. that it was okay to take snacks off the ship. Maybe it was taken down, but really curious since that sounded feasable. Another passenger mentioned medical reasons for taking foods off ship. Does anyone know the outcome? We were always under the impression that it's a nono.

I have been searching for the discussion that because most of their ports are in u.s.a. that it was okay to take snacks off the ship. Maybe it was taken down, but really curious since that sounded feasable. Another passenger mentioned medical reasons for taking foods off ship. Does anyone know the outcome? We were always under the impression that it's a nono.

This past March, in Cozumel, they had dogs and agents going through people and their bags searching for food. Not sure if any fines were issued but they had trash cans full of confiscated sandwiches, fruit, cookies, pastries, etc. If it is not pre-packaged, they took it from you.

The rule for most countries is that it must be purchased pre-packaged in order to bring it to shore. Bags of chips, cookies, etc.

It is a nono. The only food that can be taken off is factory package items.

The only good you can take off the ship is pre-packaged (manufacturer's packaging) food. You can find boxes of cereal in the buffet and there are packaged snacks for sale in the ship's store.

Bringing food onshore in the US is a violation of US law. Some people will say pack a sandwich and you won't be caught but that's kind of like telling someone to go 80mph in a 60mph speed zone. I have seen someone being led away by Agricultural officers for having an apple in their backpack.

Thank you for the comments regarding foods taken off the the ship. We have been cruising since 1985 and that was the understanding back then. I was curious to know what the outcome of those discussions were, maybe those were some of the people the dogs culled out.

Bobbie

I had a Beagle set by my backpack and the lady said, Did you have fruit? I said, Yes 2 bananas but I ate them. She said, Thats what he said and left.

Notice Princess ships are not US Registry. You are on a foreign vessel.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess-Cruises-Fleet-Overview.html#.VwnSGTHgvPw

Edited by WupperAV

Does the food rule apply to Alaska? Clear US customs in Vancouver. Can I take food off in Juneau or Ketchikan? I can understand cross border, but, US to US?

Thanks

The meat and fruit (the real forbidden items) have been out of the USA and may not be removed in any USA port.

Another funny thread. We have always been told, no fresh or ship prepared food can be taken off of the ship no matter where the port is. I remember a couple of years ago Rick Steves was on a Princess ship on a Northern European Cruise with his girl friend. They had a standard balcony cabin, however, Princess apparently comped them breakfast in Sabatini's (yes, as in the suite perk). I remember his girl friend posting on their blog that they liked to get the ham and cheese breakfast croissants and take them in their backpacks to have for lunch on shore. I guess that if you are a celebrity you get away with stuff....??:D

I had a Beagle set by my backpack and the lady said, Did you have fruit? I said, Yes 2 bananas but I ate them. She said, Thats what he said and left.

Notice Princess ships are not US Registry. You are on a foreign vessel.

The countries make the rules about foodstuffs, so it makes no difference whatsoever which ship or line you're on.

DH and I stood watching the patrol with their dogs sniffing bags. Some people were freaking out with the dog coming their way, and they were frantically tossing food into the garbage cans. To us, that was worth at least $50 for an excursion just to watch that! Cruise lines should have that as a booked excursion "See how dogs confiscate food." It would be a sell out!:D

DH and I stood watching the patrol with their dogs sniffing bags. Some people were freaking out with the dog coming their way, and they were frantically tossing food into the garbage cans. To us, that was worth at least $50 for an excursion just to watch that! Cruise lines should have that as a booked excursion "See how dogs confiscate food." It would be a sell out!:D

LOL. I'd pay for that!

I always think how rude to think you can try and bring foodstuffs into another country. What about the biological and environmental issues. Courtesy and respect for country you are travelling to.

dh and i stood watching the patrol with their dogs sniffing bags. Some people were freaking out with the dog coming their way, and they were frantically tossing food into the garbage cans. To us, that was worth at least $50 for an excursion just to watch that! Cruise lines should have that as a booked excursion "see how dogs confiscate food." it would be a sell out!:d

:d:d:d

Hahahahaha - I'm in!

I always think how rude to think you can try and bring foodstuffs into another country. What about the biological and environmental issues. Courtesy and respect for country you are travelling to.

I find it amazing how many posters in CC will say, "When in Rome ...." about ine topic.

And then complain about not being allowed take food off the ship.

Not aimed at anyone in particular just a bit hypocritical.

Spend a buck or two in a local cafe' and enjoy the ambiance. Happy cruising.:)

To borrow a quote (that I detest) from tipping threads, "If you can't afford to buy a snack in port, you can't afford to cruise".

Does the food rule apply to Alaska? Clear US customs in Vancouver. Can I take food off in Juneau or Ketchikan? I can understand cross border, but, US to US?

Thanks

Alaska and Canada have restrictions and they will be noted in the Patter and over the PA system as you disembark. See these recent threads: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322740 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2323037.

Spend a buck or two in a local cafe' and enjoy the ambiance. Happy cruising.:)

Agree! One of our most enjoyable activities in port is to find a local establishment in which to enjoy the local food, drink and ambiance! Many times, that's our excursion! :p

Someone should make a video of that and post it on all travel sites.

some kind of pre-packaged snacks and a water bottle.

We never know if we will find a cafe/food court/food truck when we are starting to get hungry.

It helps stave off low blood sugar AND headaches from....until we can find where we want to eat...

Bernadette

Most folks think those cute dogs are looking for drugs. Some are, but the most are looking for food.