Leaving Dirty dishes, food trays and cups in hallway. WHY?

jolyroger

What a very ignorant post comparing apples to oranges :rolleyes:

Ive seen trays in hallways of VERY fancy hotels. You know WHY? BECAUSE THATS WHAT PEOPLE ARE TOLD TO DO WITH THEM. The difference is, the hotel staff comes by and collects them faster than cruise ship staff does. If my cabin attendant instructs me to put the tray in the hall, guess where its going? He/she does not work for Room service.

As someone in a wheelchair I too hate seeing stuff clutter the halls. Especially when the halls are narrow as it is and there are cleaning carts and scooters out there too. Its never been THAT big a deal though.

Do you ever post ANYTHING that is not rude and condescending? Im pretty new to this particular forum but I havent seen it yet.

Exactly! I didn't even want to waste the effort to respond to that one. But at Wendys there is A PLACE TO PUT THE TRAY.....ugh. Some people on here just want to fight and argue even if it makes no sense at all.

Fresh off the Breeze, this being our 7th Carnival , Fabulous time. One thing in all the cruises we've taken that I will never understand...Why must people leave their empty trays, plates, cups etc in the hallway outside their cabin door? Nothing like walking up a hallway and seeing a cup just sitting there or uneaten food on a tray. I don't get why leaving it in the cabin is such a hard thing. I mean would you do this at home? I sure as hell hope not, but maybe that's just me being OCD. Feel free to Flame, I know its coming...but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I'm right there with you - I think it is disgusting, and it makes the hallways smell.

If you don't get the concept of common courtesy and manners, its probably to late to learn....if you read my post, I said if you were instructed to place RS dishes in hall, do it....wouldn't you agree to at least arrange them on the tray and cover them so people aren't looking at a 1/2 eaten hamburger with ketchup smeared all over the plate? Don't you find that a bit unappetizing? I realize you could of the mindset of "well I don't want to look at the dishes and if other people don't like it, its their problem. I am on vacation and paid my money, I get to do what I want to do because I want to"....you are not alone, there are a good portion of people with that mindset. You have my condolences

I don't know if your agreeing with gut or not,im thinking your disagreeing, maybe there could be a class in, uneaten or half eaten food arrangement, just like a towel folding class. God forbid we look at an uncleared plate in the mdr or buffet.To awful to think about really.I do agree with the covering though,we hate our stolen leftovers,(a) being looked at and (b) having flies on them.

On a recent cruise, we received our Platinum tray of treats one evening - it arrived around 6:00pm. We had a couple, but weren't really interested in eating all of them. The plate was left during turn-down service that evening by the steward (reasonable). It was left during the morning service the next day. It was left again the next evening during turn down. And the next morning.

I finally gave up and put it in the hallway. I had assumed that this particular tray was the responsibility of the steward since it had not been "ordered" from room service, but who knows?

Please, all suite users, please put your uneaten leftovers out in the hallway immediately, we insiders so dislike 2/3 day old leftovers. Thankyou:):)

On our last Holland America cruise there was a card on the room service tray that said to not put your dishes in the hall but call room service and they come get it. I wonder if that would work on other cruise lines? On one of our cruises my husband stepped in a bucket a steward had out in the hall and ended up with wet pants and a wet shoe (glad it wasn't someone's leftovers)!

This is amusing. Some strong feelings! Reminds me of a post I made on the camera/pics page suggesting when taking pictures of bathrooms, close the toilet lid. I got flamed. No one else cared. It was only a suggestion for the aesthetics of it all but people got really nasty.

i don't know if your agreeing with gut or not,im thinking your disagreeing, maybe there could be a class in, uneaten or half eaten food arrangement, just like a towel folding class. God forbid we look at an uncleared plate in the mdr or buffet.to awful to think about really.i do agree with the covering though,we hate our stolen leftovers,(a) being looked at and (b) having flies on them.

lol!

On our last Holland America cruise there was a card on the room service tray that said to not put your dishes in the hall but call room service and they come get it. I wonder if that would work on other cruise lines? On one of our cruises my husband stepped in a bucket a steward had out in the hall and ended up with wet pants and a wet shoe (glad it wasn't someone's leftovers)!

How high was he stepping to actually step INTO a bucket? Hmmmm....

I can see knocking a bucket over with your foot, but usually buckets are what, 8 - 10" tall or higher? You'd have to be stepping pretty high to step into it, wouldn't you?

First of all at home you are responsible for your own dishes not so on the ship. It is common practice to leave the dishes in the hallway so room service will pick them on their regularly scheduled rounds. I will continue to do what's normal on a ship or hotel and leave them outside the door, sorry it bothers the OP so much.

I can see knocking a bucket over with your foot, but usually buckets are what, 8 - 10" tall or higher? You'd have to be stepping pretty high to step into it, wouldn't you?

Maybe practicing their goose-step march?

We actually saw the room stewards placing the trays outside the door on our sailing of the Dream, so it's not always the passengers that do this. The mid-teens across the hall from us left melted ice cream cones and pizza crusts on the carpet by their door, no tray, just on the carpet.

It seems to me if there's a continuing problem with dishes being stacked in the hallways, the crew isn't being sent to fetch them frequently enough. I'm pretty sure that with the sophisticated system that they have onboard tracking room service they have a pretty good idea as to how often they should be making a pass thru the hallways. If they're not doing that, it's Carnival's fault.....I'm sorry but there's no way that any passenger should have to keep the remnants of Sushi or Buffalo Wings in their cabin because the galley staff isn't doing their job frequently enough. Sending someone around every hour with a cart should not be a huge, hairy deal.

I was thinking the same thing. I just figured he is a former WI Band member.

Wisconsin-band-MG-3111.jpg

I decided to try leaving dishes in my cabin once. The cabin steward doesn't remove them. There are employees that actually have the job of going down each hallway picking up trays. So, until Carnival changes the rules, (which I doubt they will because that would give someone other than your steward access to your cabin.) I'll be putting my dishes in the hallway.

Wasn't there a video on YouTube from a few years ago that showed a stoner dude with his friend walking along the halls of a Carnival ship at night eating the leftovers off of trays? I kid you not! If nothing else, it would make you think that this could be a potential liability for Carnival in case a fool like that or a toddler choked on such leftovers, but I guess that's something they've already considered.

Also, it's been my experience that room stewards never clear dishes from the cabin. There have been numerous times when my DW and I have received the platinum crudite/hors d'oeuvres/whatever and left them untouched for days without our steward ever removing the remains, or the plate. Once we put them outside our cabin, though, they're gone quickly.

This whole debate almost sounds like it could be a complaint about food waste and lack of culinary manners or courtesy onboard, in general, but Lord knows I don't want to go there!

We have been told by housekeeping that the trays and anything we no longer want to eat or drink need to be left outside the cabin. They said it is much easier and more efficient to take it away from outside the cabin. The cabin staff is not supposed to remove any food, drinks or used glasses/cups or any other food or drink item from the cabin. Partially because there have been cases where people complained (go figure :eek:) that someone had taken or thrown out/removed an item they were not finished with.

There is no room for question and it is very clear that if it is in the hallway outside the cabin you are finished. Also, much easier to just go down the hall and remove things then have to knock and enter the cabins. Any tray we have left has been picked up within a very short period of time.

I think the kids/adults that leave half melted ice cream in bowls and cups on the stairs are much worse and pigs basically. At least take it to a dish station or put it on a tray somewhere, not left on the stairway.

I have 6 cruises under my belt. I have left room service trays in our rooms and have returned after the steward to find them still there. Per our steward, he left them for room service to pick up and to leave them in the hall as room service does sweeps through the halls and picks up the trays. I guess somewhat similar to hotels. I don't think it makes the person in the room a slob or whatever for placing the tray in the hall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk