Live from the summit

Grandma Rambo

Regarding the Statue of Liberty, Captain Kate told us she had to sail out in a hurry to beat incoming inclement weather. There was already a delay to departure due to unusually heavy maritime traffic. Therefore, she could not take the extra 45 minutes to sail up to the the Statue of Liberty this trip. She did say she would try to do it as much as possible but the safety of the ship, passengers and crew made it unwise this sailing. We love Captain Kate!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are in an ocean view cabin, #3099 -- about four doors from the customer service desk. A nice room, very quiet and very convenient to the midship elevator, so everything.

I don't think they are selling tokens. We took the ferry to Hamilton and bought tickets.

The Select dining is a breeze.

No, we don't usually order pizza and it wasn't for a meal. Just wanted to try it. Very thin with soggy crust.

All the other food is just fine with us.

The taxi pickup is very near where you get off the ship. Less than a minute away.

Went on a four-hour tour with Quinton Bean. I highly recommend this gentleman. I don't have his email handy, but a search on the Bermuda board will get it for you.

The movies are being shown on the Rooftop Terrace, but in our opinion it is way too windy up there.

The Solarium is very nice, but they took away the lounge chairs on the starboard side. Not fond of that, since the smoke drifts in from the smoking section on the port side near the pool. It wasn't too bad, though.

I don't know if I could take a picture of the Bistro menu. There is a daily soup change. The crepes are the same, but there are a few different sandwiches and a really good salad with shrimp, chicken, or salmon. We liked the coke float. Service a bit slow and mixed up, but it's still a very nice place.

Can't think of anything else right now. Really having a great cruise.

<snip>

The Solarium is very nice, but they took away the lounge chairs on the starboard side. Not fond of that, since the smoke drifts in from the smoking section on the port side near the pool. It wasn't too bad, though.

<snip>

Thank you for all this information - we are looking forward to our sailing later this month.

Curious - if the lounge chairs were removed from the starboard side, what replaced them if anything, or is it just a wider walking passage now?

Thank you so much for posting. We sail May 22nd. We are in CC for the first time. Looking forward to it. I, too, am interested in beach weather. Would appreciate any info you can share.

We are also on this cruise. Have you joined our roll call yet?

Regarding the Statue of Liberty, Captain Kate told us she had to sail out in a hurry to beat incoming inclement weather. There was already a delay to departure due to unusually heavy maritime traffic. Therefore, she could not take the extra 45 minutes to sail up to the the Statue of Liberty this trip. She did say she would try to do it as much as possible but the safety of the ship, passengers and crew made it unwise this sailing. We love Captain Kate!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds good to me, how bout next week?

25889749862_00262c7d80_b.jpg

CaptDave

Grandma Rambo - How did you pay to get to Hamilton? With cash? Quarters or $5 bills? That's what we plan to do - get the ticket booklet once in Hamilton.

Thank you so much for your information! Very appreciated.

Cassandra - Sure hope it's not your friends!

Thank you. ..the description given on another thread was a bit generic and sadly also describes her. I am hoping she is just having 2 much fun and hasn't checked her emails.

Beach goers: Would be interested in knowing if the waters this time of year is suitable for swimming, or still too chilly?

We were on the Summit last week on its repositioning cruise from San Juan to Bayonne. The water in St. Thomas and St.Maarten was nice and warm . We went on a snorkel and swim excursion in Bermuda and it was cold . The skipper of the catamaran said the water temp should be "around 70" . More like between 60 -65 degrees. It was also a bit overcast that day. I went in but not for long. Enjoy your cruise !

We will be on the Summit this summer...

BTW- Princess pizza is really good....so I had a feeling Celebrity would not be as good...but a week without good pizza is doable in light of all the other ship choices!! :)

How is the gelato on Summit?

Bernadette

Gelato bar on summit was good. Pizza on Princess is great.

Thank you for all this information - we are looking forward to our sailing later this month.

Curious - if the lounge chairs were removed from the starboard side, what replaced them if anything, or is it just a wider walking passage now?

There are more tables and an area sort of like a den with those modern chairs and "sofas". It's nice but I'd rather have more lounge chairs. After all, there is a pool there.

Grandma Rambo - How did you pay to get to Hamilton? With cash? Quarters or $5 bills? That's what we plan to do - get the ticket booklet once in Hamilton.

Thank you so much for your information! Very appreciated.

Oh, thank you for asking. We brought rolls of quarters. When we handed them to the guy he looked at us like we had two heads and asked "what's this?". We explained and he and the other guy laughed their heads off and said they take paper money and asked where we heard it. I think they are probably still laughing!

Sorry, I don't know which patient had the emergency, only that it was a broken bone. We did see a man yesterday in a wheelchair with a drain in his leg and wondered if he was the patient. Sounded like the bread was severe. Wish I knew more for you. Sorry.

This should be day 3 of your visit, close to ship! Make it to the porch, worth the climb! Go to Helicopter Pad for departure if you can, best view.

(Summit May 2011) just before Aqua was added, no cabin's on Deck 11).

17903077944_147907e3e5_b.jpg

17868086304_c6fb708373_b.jpg

18303650058_9e75f531ac_b.jpg

18722263175_487a68728a_b.jpg

CaptDave

This should be day 3 of your visit, close to ship! Make it to the porch, worth the climb! Go to Helicopter Pad for departure if you can, best view.

(Summit May 2011) just before Aqua was added, no cabin's on Deck 11).

17903077944_147907e3e5_b.jpg

17868086304_c6fb708373_b.jpg

18303650058_9e75f531ac_b.jpg

18722263175_487a68728a_b.jpg

CaptDave

I heard they have to leave early. This evening because of a storm.

Edited by Charles4515

Does anyone know how much longer Capt. Kate will be onboard before going on vacation?

Thinking about sailing next month and would really like to meet her.

Thanks in advance :)

She just got on the ship on April 2, so I think they are 12 weeks on, 12 weeks off.

Oh, thank you for asking. We brought rolls of quarters. When we handed them to the guy he looked at us like we had two heads and asked "what's this?". We explained and he and the other guy laughed their heads off and said they take paper money and asked where we heard it. I think they are probably still laughing!

So just to clarify then it's still $5 one way into Hamilton on the bus or ferry from the Dockyard and you can pay with a $5 US currency?

Also where in Hamilton do you buy the tokens/tickets?

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by CruisingChick