Discharge papers

So my father served in the navy and was honorably discharged so we are getting a discount on our upcoming cruise. I have the paperwork in our safety deposit box at the bank and I know we have to bring it to port. I am wondering if I can make a copy of the form instead of bringing the original. Is this allowed?

I use to bring my DD 214 original

than a copy

than one of my Id's

Have never been asked for any documentation

Saying that, they might ask one day:confused:

So my father served in the navy and was honorably discharged so we are getting a discount on our upcoming cruise. I have the paperwork in our safety deposit box at the bank and I know we have to bring it to port. I am wondering if I can make a copy of the form instead of bringing the original. Is this allowed?

"Your father served" is your Dad sailing in YOUR cabin with you? Did you serve? I'm confused as to how YOU would be eligible based on your father's military service?

"Your father served" is your Dad sailing in YOUR cabin with you? Did you serve? I'm confused as to how YOU would be eligible based on your father's military service?

Wow - that's a totally uncalled for leap to a conclusion that the poster is taking advantage of it for himself.

When I cruise with other people I use the colloquial "we" when I ask questions who aren't necessarily in my room, but I am doing their paperwork. For example my mother was in a separate cabin but was getting an AARP discount and in my questions I said "when we are sailing"

Wow - that's a totally uncalled for leap to a conclusion that the poster is taking advantage of it for himself.

When I cruise with other people I use the colloquial "we" when I ask questions who aren't necessarily in my room, but I am doing their paperwork. For example my mother was in a separate cabin but was getting an AARP discount and in my questions I said "when we are sailing"

No I did not mean to jump to conclusions or be rude! Just trying to figure out, based on what you posted and a read of the rules how it would work.

What is the discount if you were in the military and have a DD214? Thanks

It varies. Some itineraries offer it, some don't. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes it's a little. It may be offered on interior cabins and not on balcony cabins or vice versa. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Copies of the DD-214 are perfectly acceptable. It is one of the few documents where a photocopy is acceptable. The Social Security Administration accepts a photocopy; local tax and assessor offices accept photocopies and finally, the Veterans Administration accepts photocopies of this important document.

Be advised that the Certificate of Discharge which shows the words "Honorable Discharge" in fancy script is not acceptable proof of military service. The DD-214 is the gold standard. Prior to Jan. 1, 1950 several similar forms were used including WD AGO53, WD AGO 55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD and NAVCG 553. These will suffice as proof of military service.

A word to the wise. Older versions of the DD-214 contain the service member's social security number. Be sure to make another copy and black out this information before presenting it as verification of military service. Bon Voyage!

Harry

Edited by traveling1969

I have never seen a discount on my cruises, need to find my DD214 state of Texas will put info on your driver licence, its handy to have info, we visited USS Intrepid a couple of years ago and could have gotten discount if I had my DD214, cool thing to visit if you are visiting or sailing out of NYC

• 2 weeks later...

He's sailing with us I'm sorry that I didn't include that in the original post

He's sailing with us I'm sorry that I didn't include that in the original post

It's all good and thank him for his service! Enjoy your family time together. Get your dad to share his memories of his service while he can!

Safe travels :)

I have taken my DD-214 with me before and have never been asked to see it. I also was former Navy.

I made a photo copy of mine and brought it with on each sailing we have done. They have never asked to see it.

JoeRum

Same here!!

It's all good and thank him for his service! Enjoy your family time together. Get your dad to share his memories of his service while he can!

Safe travels :)

I actually got the chance to tour his ship(cvn-65)and attend the decommissioning ceremony. He showed me the medical room which he redesigned when it came out of an overhaul

What is the discount if you were in the military and have a DD214? Thanks

I always test all of the possible discount scenarios. I've never seen a military one yet for the cruises I've been checking but have seen others. Also, check all combinations of discounts that you qualify for. On one cruise I did I was able to get a discount as a California resident but when I checked another potential discount along with it (checked two boxes at once) the California discount disappeared. So I always check all possible combinations.