Flow Rider

Do you recommend long sleeve shirts for protection or should short sleeves be good enough? Will be in the Mediterranean during Jul so shouldn't need the long sleeves for warmth.

Because I am a 57 year old guy from Northern European decent I prefer long sleeve because it is less sunblock to apply

jc

My DH and I work out 5 times a week, do 5k races, etc, so are in pretty good shape.

That being said, maybe I'm a bit of a nervous Nellie, but doing the Flowrider at Sea seems a bit dangerous to me.

Has anyone seen people get hurt on these? (Sorry about the toenail incident reported on these boards recently)

My DH and I work out 5 times a week, do 5k races, etc, so are in pretty good shape.

That being said, maybe I'm a bit of a nervous Nellie, but doing the Flowrider at Sea seems a bit dangerous to me.

Has anyone seen people get hurt on these? (Sorry about the toenail incident reported on these boards recently)

A few get hurt on stand up. Knees, shoulders, noses etc but the body board is pretty safe. I'm 61 and while I can stand up I can't yet do turns so I have given it away for the body board which is so much easier and far less risky. The most likely thing to be hurt on the body board is your pride if you don't secure your swim wear well enough lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Because I am a 57 year old guy from Northern European decent I prefer long sleeve because it is less sunblock to apply

jc

43 here an I do stand up. The younger ones in the stand up line are around 12 due to height limitations.

I go short sleeve when it is warmer, and long when it is colder. I just bought a shorty wet suit as well. I like a few others here travel with my own boards so I like to make sure I am comfortable when I ride.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Yes, we've seen people get hurt. When they fall, they can get turned sideways and slam into the back wall. Saw one young man fall on the second day, hurt his leg, and was in a wheelchair the rest of the cruise.

43, 6'3", 190lb, snowboarding for 10 years. Flowrider? I got this!

NOT!

Totally different that snowboarding - the weight distribution is completely opposite. For snowboarding you need the majority of your weight on the front foot, for FlowRiding, almost all on back foot, way back on the board.

Never really got good at it because as I was learning I kept wiping out. The surface is soft, no issue there. The problem was whenever the board washed out from underneath me and I fell backwards, I'd land flat on my back, on the soft surface, stlll no issue. But my head would snap back as I landed. Yup, gave myself whiplash, or a strained neck muscle. Holy mackerel, I couldn't lift myself out of bed the next 2 mornings. Tried again the last Sea Day, and after the second wipe out I was hurting again. And that was my Flow Riding career. Never mastered it, but wifey got a good vid of me up and making baby turns for 20-30 seconds.

On Harmony in December....TWO Flow Riders....would love to master that blasted thing, but not if a few wipe outs will have my neck messed up for the week. Guess I just have a big head, or weak neck muscles or both!

43 here an I do stand up. The younger ones in the stand up line are around 12 due to height limitations.

I go short sleeve when it is warmer, and long when it is colder. I just bought a shorty wet suit as well. I like a few others here travel with my own boards so I like to make sure I am comfortable when I ride.

Were you on the Quantum in the spring of 2015, have dark hair, and can ride that FlowRider like you own it? One guy like that was very nice to the newbies like me and was from Ontario.

It's good to know that I won't be the first old and fat person to do the Flow Rider. I figure that I'll be standing in line with the 8 and 10 year olds though :rolleyes:

Trust me - there are plenty of us older, rounder people on the flowrider. I'm usually pleased with the age range of those riding the stand up - I am generally no where near the oldest in my mid40s (but am usually the fattest, particularly of the "every day" riders).

FYI - their signage demands bare feet on the flowrider. I've never seen them allow any sort of foot covering.

Cheers,

FL

NOT!

Totally different that snowboarding - the weight distribution is completely opposite. For snowboarding you need the majority of your weight on the front foot, for FlowRiding, almost all on back foot, way back on the board.

Never really got good at it because as I was learning I kept wiping out. The surface is soft, no issue there. The problem was whenever the board washed out from underneath me and I fell backwards, I'd land flat on my back, on the soft surface, stlll no issue. But my head would snap back as I landed. Yup, gave myself whiplash, or a strained neck muscle. Holy mackerel, I couldn't lift myself out of bed the next 2 mornings. Tried again the last Sea Day, and after the second wipe out I was hurting again. And that was my Flow Riding career. Never mastered it, but wifey got a good vid of me up and making baby turns for 20-30 seconds.

On Harmony in December....TWO Flow Riders....would love to master that blasted thing, but not if a few wipe outs will have my neck messed up for the week. Guess I just have a big head, or weak neck muscles or both!

I have never done any board sports so for me I did not have to "forget" previous board sports ride aspects. I started from scratch. I also took whiplash falls like you noted.

The biggest tip I give riders now is to stretch before and after riding and while waiting in line. Get those muscles ready. The other big tip, if you feel like you are falling sit down. Falling in a controlled fashion is much safer than a yard sale wipeout.

NOT!

It gets better and you learn how to not fall. The head backwards down the wave are the worst. Which is what you did. I almost never fall that way now. If you got to where you could ride for 30 seconds. You will quickly get better and fall better in a couple more days.:D

jc

Were you on the Quantum in the spring of 2015, have dark hair, and can ride that FlowRider like you own it? One guy like that was very nice to the newbies like me and was from Ontario.

You described me to a "T", except I have never been on Quantum. He must have been a nice guy that you met.:)

NEVER let age alone stop you from trying new things!! The sports deck guy on the stand up Flow Rider was super patient and kind with me. I am very proud of my six or seven seconds of stand up fame!!

As with any extreme sports, there are always risks involved. You can google- accidents on Flow Riders on cruise ships to read more.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/passenger-rights/flowrider-accident-seriously-injures-passenger-on-independence-of-the-seas/

The main thing is to learn how to fall. Stay tucked in ball with head tucked and all limbs close to your body.

As with any extreme sports, there are always risks involved. You can google- accidents on Flow Riders on cruise ships to read more.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/passenger-rights/flowrider-accident-seriously-injures-passenger-on-independence-of-the-seas/

The main thing is to learn how to fall. Stay tucked in ball with head tucked and all limbs close to your body.

You should also take a grain of salt from that page as he is a lawyer who sues cruise ships.

I have had cut feet, blackened toe nails, and part of a nail ripped off. I met a guy who dislocated his shoulder when he slipped on the mat while not even on the wave. A headliner that rides who had 15 stitches in his leg from where the board hit him. I was on the ship a week after someone broke their collar bone. I watched a guy fall and get dazed to where they stopped the wave. I once saw a girl land face first on the wave when she fell during stand up riding. She cut the inside of her mouth on her braces and was bleeding. Accidents can happen but falling under control, listening to the instructors, and taking your time are all good things to do.

This March I just had our 8 year old son riding for his first time. We love it and do our best to mitigate any risk of injury.

NOT!

I think you describe most people's (especially those in the 30+ crowd) first flowriding stand-up experience perfectly in terms of pain. I was 41 when I first tried it on the Liberty and felt like I had got rear-ended by a Mack truck for 48 hours after. The whiplash you get if you do not know "how to fall" can be terrible. The two things I always stretch extensively now before riding every time are my forearms (you hyper-extend them all the time when you are falling and put your hands down to brace your fall) and my neck (major whiplash is common, but lessened if you stretch your neck first).

That said, I still ride whenever I get a chance. I have got to the point over the past couple years that if I just carve and ride the wave without trying to do any stupid tricks, I can walk away pain free. That said...where would the fun be in that? Always want to add a new trick or skill to my repertoire, so I am usually in pain 24-72 hours after riding. Makes driving the next few days and checking your blind spot almost impossible.

By the way, no need to put all your weight on your back foot. Keep it balanced over both feet. When carving, I used to put more weight on the front foot and turn the two and heel side with the back foot (like snowboarding) with knees bent, but I recently discovered it was much more effective keeping the legs straighter and weight more evenly balanced. You will carve harder, move a lot more water, and not tire so easily.

Just a clue for people new to google. That web page is operated by the worst of slimed lawyers. Posting links to it hurts all credibility. Just sayin

JC

I'll try to post Flowrider foot from an old (55) man. Riding standup on cruise day 2, went off the board up wave and the wave threw the board into my foot. Never even fell. Took a day off the wave and was back on the rest of the cruise. But I did stay out of the gym the rest of the cruise. You have to have your priorities.

I tried it 2 years ago on the navigator when I was 38. The attendant made me take off my wedding ring for fear of losing it. I only did the on my belly version and got swept pretty hard into the back wall. Thought for sure may have actually broken my shoulder. I was in pain the rest of the trip. My boys loved it though and did it successfully many times, ages 12 and 13 at the time. Cruising on Liberty in June, this time I will only be a spectator!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Last nights attempt at posting a picture was a fail and now I can't edit the post so here is my Flowrider foot... :D:eek:

d790a045614fee9dce47b91f88d8d5f4

Wow. Hopefully you could wear flips flops for the rest of the cruise. I'd hate to put that foot into a leather shoe for formal night.:eek:

I too would be back at the wave though.

Defiantly more injury's standing than doing the belly surf. So have him start belly surfing.

They wont let you do any of the tricks that people used to do because of injuries but its still fun.

Not that I used to do I would never get on it but my DD lives and I do mean lives on the flowrider.

It was the only attraction I did not try on my Anthem cruise. I was too afraid because I'm not athletic and have lousy coordination and balance. I figured I would get launched off of it and bash my skull in. It is fun to watch those who are really good at it, people who obviously know how to really surf. I think you need some skills to be successful at it. I even ditched my private training session I was so scared! I'm a clutz.

• 1 month later...