Istanbul

bubblesh3

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First a "must do/see" is a totally personal choice. What is "must do" for you might not interest me at all.

Take a look over at the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to Turkey, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

for lots of good info and tips.

Next up look at what the ship is offering. Doesn't mean you have to go on a ship's excursion, it will identify some highlights. As will a guidebook. Then you can decide what interests you.

Hagia Sophia

Blue Mosque

Topaki Palace

Hippodrome

Grand Bazaar

Would make a good start.

I would also add the Spice Bazaar. You get a great feel for the way the bazaar works, but in a much smaller setting.

Hagia Sophia

Blue Mosque

Topaki Palace

Hippodrome

Grand Bazaar

Would make a good start.

I would also add the Spice Bazaar. You get a great feel for the way the bazaar works, but in a much smaller setting.

Got to add the Bacillia Cistern to this list. Totally unique and unexpected.

Got to add the Bacillia Cistern to this list. Totally unique and unexpected.

For anyone looking for information on the above site, it's spelled Basilica Cistern (known in Turkish as Yerebatan Saray). Fascinating place -- built by the late Roman/Early Byzantine Rulers of Constantinople as a place to store water -- it makes use of more than 300 columns scavenged from Pagan temples.

For anyone looking for information on the above site, it's spelled Basilica Cistern (known in Turkish as Yerebatan Saray). Fascinating place -- built by the late Roman/Early Byzantine Rulers of Constantinople as a place to store water -- it makes use of more than 300 columns scavenged from Pagan temples.

It is hard for me to admit that we had been to Istanbul more than half a dozen times (including multiple hotel nights) before we finally visited the Basilica Cistern. The place is simply amazing, and we probably walked right over the top on many of our long walks in the city.

Last month, while on the Prinsendam, we had to change a scheduled 2 day Istanbul stop to a 4 hour stop...where no passengers (other then those debarking) were permitted off the ship. This was the result of the latest State Department warning. While we sat on our ship while docked in the cruise port, we could see the new Viking Cruises ship (docked next to us) where passengers took their usual tours in town. Go figure. So anyone on a cruise to this city probably has to hold their collective breaths as to whether they will keep or miss the port. DW and I really like Istanbul, and would have had no problem getting off the ship (2 days after a bombing) because we refuse to let terrorists dictate our travel habits. But can't blame HAL (and other lines) for their actions in avoiding the port.

Hank

I'd add one of the dervish shows and a walk from Taksim Square down Istikllal to Galata Tower. I've been to Istanbul three times and know I'm not done. It's wonderful. Oh, and Gulhane Park after Topkapi. The flowers are wonderful.

Enjoy!

Melissa

Hagia Sophia

Blue Mosque

Topaki Palace

Hippodrome

Grand Bazaar

Would make a good start.

Yes, though I'd delete Topkapi Palace from the list. It's not visible at all from the road & needs two or three hours to visit. So suitable only for a two-day stop.

But include Hagia Sophia (various spellings) - formerly as church, then a mosque, now a museum. Close to the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii), the Hippodrome & the Roman Cistern.

The Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Bazaar) is a smaller version of the Grand Bazaar, close to the Galata Bridge. Theoretically a spice bazaar, but there's other stuff there too, & there's also spices in the Grand Bazaar.

JB :)

Istanbul is wonderful-one of our favourites. We are hoping to get there again this fall for another visit. So much to see. The Cistern is one of our favourite places.

Don't rush about. Take some time, wander about, and soak up the atmosphere.

The list you have been given is terrific.

Too much in my opinion for one day unless you just want to run from place to place.

So, if you are there for one day read about each place and prioritize them.

Keith

Yes, though I'd delete Topkapi Palace from the list. It's not visible at all from the road & needs two or three hours to visit. So suitable only for a two-day stop.

But include Hagia Sophia (various spellings) - formerly as church, then a mosque, now a museum. Close to the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii), the Hippodrome & the Roman Cistern.

The Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Bazaar) is a smaller version of the Grand Bazaar, close to the Galata Bridge. Theoretically a spice bazaar, but there's other stuff there too, & there's also spices in the Grand Bazaar.

JB :)

Why omit the palace, you can see all of the items in the list without any rushing whatsoever, plus the cisterns and the spice market in a day without any issue. The palace and Aygia Sophia are the highlights of Istanbul. One key is to have a private guide so that you do not spend time reading books while you are visiting. We accomplished all of these stops in a six hour visit and that included spending a lot of time actually shopping in the spice market.

Edited by zqvol

Why omit the palace, you can see all of the items in the list without any rushing whatsoever, plus the cisterns and the spice market in a day without any issue. The palace and Aygia Sophia are the highlights of Istanbul. One key is to have a private guide so that you do not spend time reading books while you are visiting. We accomplished all of these stops in a six hour visit and that included spending a lot of time actually shopping in the spice market.

Not everyone wants to dash through umpteen places at breakneck speed.

My first visit to Istanbul was a very unsatisfying tour doing just what you describe. I've been back several times since then, and have had a chance to go back and re-visit most places, thank goodness. I much prefer to see a few places in greater depth than to get a surface overview of many.

I do tend to agree with John that Topkapi is less impressive than some of the other sites and could be skipped. Also not a huge fan of the Grand Bazaar -- you have to work hard to get to the more authentic areas (most of the stuff near the entrances are tat that's not even made in Turkey).

Although we understand some folks want to rush through the maximum number of places in the shortest period of time, many others prefer to have time to "stop and smell the roses." Topkapi is certainly worthy of at least a 3 hour visit and even this is cutting things a bit short. The last time we were at Topkapi the queue to get in the Harem can often exceed 30 min...and this is just one attraction inside the grounds. We also enjoy spending some time at their snack bar which offers a nice respite with a great view.

Hank

Although we understand some folks want to rush through the maximum number of places in the shortest period of time, many others prefer to have time to "stop and smell the roses." Topkapi is certainly worthy of at least a 3 hour visit and even this is cutting things a bit short. The last time we were at Topkapi the queue to get in the Harem can often exceed 30 min...and this is just one attraction inside the grounds. We also enjoy spending some time at their snack bar which offers a nice respite with a great view.

Hank

A museum pass or a licensed guide will eliminate the lines; a real time saver. It's not a must-do, but the newly refurbished Turkish-Islamic Art Museum is very nice. And for no-hassle, efficient shopping, Arasta Bazaar is unbeatable. Oh, my. So much to see, so little time!

Melissa

A museum pass or a licensed guide will eliminate the lines; a real time saver. It's not a must-do, but the newly refurbished Turkish-Islamic Art Museum is very nice. And for no-hassle, efficient shopping, Arasta Bazaar is unbeatable. Oh, my. So much to see, so little time!

Melissa

I am in complete agreement about the Arasta Bazaar, really nice things and local/regional handicrafts. Just keep in mind that there is not the same degree of bargaining there as in the bazaars.

And the Turkish-Islamic Art Museum is nice, but the Archaeological Museum is a real hidden gem. They have some wonderful things in there, particularly the Alexander Sarcophagus. When I was in Istanbul last year it was closed for renovation; I hope it is open again by now....

We have been to Istanbul a number of times-usually for 2-4 days. Same with a number of other European cities.

Now we sometimes return to a city with absolutely no agenda other than to walk around for two or three days. We did this last fall in Paris. It was wonderful. We saw so much that we had not seen before because we were not rushing about. We plan to do exactly the same this fall if we get to Istanbul. We need four days in order to get the feel and to spend some time on the Asian side.

It is an amazing city, so different than anywhere else. Enjoy it. But try to avoid one of those busy tours that takes you and bus load of compatriots to all of the tourist sites. You might see a fair amount in six or eight hours but you won't get to experience the vibe of the city.

Istanbul is a great stop to do as a DIY stop due to how close you dock to the major attractions. I wrote a detailed review and instructions (with photos) on how to use the public tram to get around. You can read my review of Istanbul from my trip last summer.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2256323&page=7

Istanbul starts with post 136

It is hard for me to admit that we had been to Istanbul more than half a dozen times (including multiple hotel nights) before we finally visited the Basilica Cistern. The place is simply amazing, and we probably walked right over the top on many of our long walks in the city.

Last month, while on the Prinsendam, we had to change a scheduled 2 day Istanbul stop to a 4 hour stop...where no passengers (other then those debarking) were permitted off the ship. This was the result of the latest State Department warning. While we sat on our ship while docked in the cruise port, we could see the new Viking Cruises ship (docked next to us) where passengers took their usual tours in town. Go figure. So anyone on a cruise to this city probably has to hold their collective breaths as to whether they will keep or miss the port. DW and I really like Istanbul, and would have had no problem getting off the ship (2 days after a bombing) because we refuse to let terrorists dictate our travel habits. But can't blame HAL (and other lines) for their actions in avoiding the port.

Hank

I cannot imagine how frustrating that must have been. Our Oceania cruise this past month was supposed to start in Istanbul, but in late January all of the Turkish ports were removed and the new start was in Athens. That was frustrating in and of itself. We met up in Rome with a group about to board a Princess cruise which was still scheduled to visit Istanbul. Our original plan had been to spend several days exploring the city prior to the cruise as I've never been. Still on my list of places to visit in the future. K

We spent 6 days pre cruise and 2 days post cruise in Istanbul, so we really enjoyed the city slowly.

Aside from the old town, the Asian side also has wonderful things to offer. I found it to be a bit more "westernized" from its sister side of the old city. There are plenty of wonderful restaurants and shopping.

One day we took the ferry to Princes Island for the day; it's a lovely place to walk or bike around.

We stayed at the Pera Palace Hotel , in Pera near the Tunel Square stop of the underground funicular (the second oldest -1875 - subway on the European continent)) which takes you up the hill from the north end of the Galata Bridge across the Golden Horn. Out of the way, but a gorgeous old hotel in the European Quarter - where Agatha Christie wrote, and the "in crowd" used to stay before boarding the Orient Express to go home.

We had a week, so the out of the way location was not a problem, but I would not recommend it for a day or two.