Anthem -- So what do you really think?

We were on the Anthem for ten days on 18th April, have sailed Allure, Freedom of the Seas and five other RCI ships, and much prefer the other ships, could not pinpoint exactly why we didn't like the ship but would not sail on her again. Food was not that great and drinks were the most expensive we have ever had, back to the Allure I think, which is a great ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Although it's a magnificent looking ship it just has no soul.It only comes alive when they have those crappy $10 sales on in the evenings.Grab yourself a drink in the bionic bar (if it's working) and watch the frenzy unfold below you.Priceless.People climbing over each other for cheap Prc tat.

Was this your first Royal Caribbean cruise?

This happens on EVERY Royal Caribbean (and Celebrity) ship!

Has nothing to do with the Anthem.

My family and I (DH, me, DD13 and DD9) sailed Anthem over spring break. We loved her! DD13 said it was her favorite ship, beating out Disney's Magic and Dream and RCCL's Freedom/Liberty.

There are so many things to do on Anthem, which appeals to us. Sure, we like to lounge poolside for a while, but we also like to be active. We LOVED IFly! It's expensive to do here at home (we have an IFly nearby), and on the ship it's free. We also enjoyed the Puzzle Break, roller skating, bumper cars, etc. We even had a blast playing pool in Music Hall.

The indoor pool is a great option, and worked out well on our first two days because it was chilly outside.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again!

Guest maddycat

We sailed on Anthem in April for a 10 night Caribbean cruise. Loved it. Food was good to excellent. Service was outstanding. Entertainment was innovative, some of the best shows out of our 30+ cruises. The ship itself is stunning. We have 2 more cruises booked on her.

How handicap accessible is the Anthem. My DH uses a walker and I've seen pics of the solarium that looks like there are a lot of steps. Are other areas like the theatre and 270 the same way, are there handicapped seating areas and easy access to get to these areas

Theresa

As someone who almost exclusively sails Oasis class, I didn't love how "inside" the ship felt. Nearly everything felt enclosed, including a lot of the pool area. Plus, if you're sailing anytime outside of the summer months, those Bayonne itineraries take a solid 1.5-2 days before you get to nice "cruise" weather.

Regarding the food it was overall pretty good. Jamie's was fantastic and puts Giovanni's to shame.

The 270 room felt like a giant waste of space to me. I like the venue itself but they didn't take advantage of it. It was nearly always empty except when they had a specific show or activity going on in there. Plus the cool mosaic video screens weren't on most of the time.

As someone who likes to go out at night, the Music Hall is a sorry excuse for a disco on a ship.

Although it's a magnificent looking ship it just has no soul.It only comes alive when they have those crappy $10 sales on in the evenings.Grab yourself a drink in the bionic bar (if it's working) and watch the frenzy unfold below you.Priceless.People climbing over each other for cheap Prc tat.

We just came off a 9 night sailing on her and found the ship alive every night. There was always something going on besides the $10 sale.

Go to Music Hall, Michaels Pub, Schooner Bar, Boleros, Two70, Seaplex and Royal Theatre.....tons of action. There were times we couldn't get seats in these venues.

We loved sailing on the Anthem (we also loved the Quantum).

Our group was a party of 7, I made dinner reservations ahead of time for 6:30. Some nights a couple of us would switch and go to a paying venue. Never had to wait, our table was always ready. If you would like to try a for 'fee' restaurant make reservations early in the week.....by the end of the week only very late times were available.

Give it a try you may enjoy it!

We sailed on Anthem in April for a 10 night Caribbean cruise. Loved it. Food was good to excellent. Service was outstanding. Entertainment was innovative, some of the best shows out of our 30+ cruises. The ship itself is stunning. We have 2 more cruises booked on her.

I could not agree more. The headliner shows were great, We Will Rock You was fantastic, the Gift and Spectra were visually and musically stunning although I didn't understand them, the musical movies in the 270 were amazing, best pool band ever, loved the solarium and the Solarium Bistro, great fitness facility. The 270, the solarium and the pool decks and our own balcony kept us in touch with the ocean. We did miss the true promenade deck.

We have not rebooked Anthem because the prices have not been competitive with Florida sailings, even factoring in added flight costs. Otherwise we would go back in a heartbeat.

Loved Anthem, very nice ship, good shows, rooms and food…………..in fact…..I booked another 12 day cruise . I have been on every class of RC ships……..and this is one of my favorites. One other advantage on Anthem is that you don't smell cigarette smoke all over like other ships……….

If there is one thing that entertainment is NOT, it is " standard cruise fare." :eek:

That is funny, because she is modeled after Solstice class!!!!

Exactly. My first impression of both Quantum and Anthem was that they were designed by the people responsible for Celebrity's Solstice class ships. Much more understated and elegant, especially the various dining venues.:)

The 270 room felt like a giant waste of space to me. I like the venue itself but they didn't take advantage of it. It was nearly always empty except when they had a specific show or activity going on in there. Plus the cool mosaic video screens weren't on most of the time.

Probably the first negative comment I've read about 270. We thought it was an amazing space. Great views and a stunning design. Excellent that they designed this as a multipurpose space. Part reading area, part cafe, part bar, part cabaret area. I think if the screens were on all the time it would detract from how amazing they are.

How handicap accessible is the Anthem. My DH uses a walker and I've seen pics of the solarium that looks like there are a lot of steps. Are other areas like the theatre and 270 the same way, are there handicapped seating areas and easy access to get to these areas

Theresa

Solarium has a three tier pool, I believe there is handicap access to the top pool which is Deck 14 (same as main pools). I forgot to check it out but I believe there is access to the bottom tier (all the way forward) on deck 13. I cannot recall if one of the 2 stairs has a wheel chair lift but since there is one to the flow rider and ifly I would assume there is one, perhaps someone on board can confirm.

The theater layout was similar to Oasis and Freedom class with reserved handicap spaces in the back near the high top tables.

If there is one thing that entertainment is NOT, it is " standard cruise fare." :eek:

That is funny, because she is modeled after Solstice class!!!!

I don't find Anthem being like S - class ship, maybe theater and WJ are designed similar.There is not a place on S class where you are in the middle of the ship and can hear music coming out from 3 different places - Michaels, Music Hall and Boleros. I am not saying that ship is not beautiful, it just doesn't feel like ship. We don't have to feel the same.

Edited by ISABELLA

Theresa

From my recollection the ship is pretty accessible. There are chair lifts at the indoor and Solarium pools. (Not sure about the outdoor one as we didn't use it). The pool bars have low counters for wheelchair level service. The theater has rows in the back for wheelchair use. Here is a video I found that might better illustrate it for you. Sorry I don't have more details.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/665/anthem-of-the-seas-accessibility-b-roll/

We loved the anthem for activities, flow of ship, dancing opportunity, dance venues, fellow passengers, crew was good, technology great, however food was salty and oily, not good healthy food options. Dining rooms were not properly attended to the service we have grown accustomed to with rcl. That being said we might try the anthem again this January if reviews of food improve, still see much in negative reviews. Percentage of negative reviews still a sign of needing improvement, Quantum now near China, I hope this class of ship gets straightened out, love Bayonne port so easy to use.

Veteran cruisers considering Anthem. With member reviews at 49% approval rating, past history and complicated dining/entertainment reservations, is it really worth it? Thanks for your comments

We are also veteran cruisers and in our opinion, this ship was absolutely awesome!!!!! Very different from our previous cruises but a totally positive experience. In fact, we were so happy with it, booked our next cruise on The Anthem the day after we returned home. We were also unsure about having read so many negative comments, but decided we were not going to let that influence our decision, so glad we went for it.

Marg