Luminae first time may be last

I just returned from a cruise in a suite and tried Luminae for the first time. The dinner menu is very limited with 3 appetizers, one soup, 5 entree's, and 3 deserts compared to double the number of choices on the MDR menu. After a bad meal on 5/11 where I only saw a soup and steak for dinner that looked good. The soup was too spicy for us to eat. The steak was so tough the wife only ate 1/4 of it. I was so disgusted we got up an left before finishing the main course and I penned a letter to the hotel manager. We met him the next after now and I told him as a former Grill class passenger on Cunard I was very disappointed in the selection and quality of the food I was getting in Luminae. He promised they would do better. I requested a MDR menu for the rest of the cruise and ordered items from both to have a decent meals for the rest of the cruise. Breakfast was OK, except for the has browns that I set back and the biscuits and gravy that I will never order again. We ate the next night in the Tuscan Grill and it was the best dinner we had on board. The crab cakes in the Tuscan Grill were superior those I had in Luminae. I am booked in a suite on the Silhouette next year for my 75th birthday and will try Luminae one last time. If it is not improved I will go back to Aqua call and the Blu. I asked my wife when we got home which she liked better and she said Blu.

Island Princess 5/4/17, Silhouette, 2/26/17, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess Elite 228 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity Elite+ 28 cruises

We also were disappointed in the Luminae on the Reflection, though its seems to be we are in the minority. We thought the service was SLOW even when their restaurant wasn't full. Food ordered from the main dining room was warm at best (escargot- butter was congealed). A scope of ice cream was delivered semi-melted and was a melon scoop size. We talked with staff and were promised better, but it never happened. During our transatlantic cruise, we gave up on them after a total of 4 meals, and ate most other meals in specialty restaurants and once in Blu. I wouldn't book a suite again on the basis of Luminae. Because its already booked and paid for, we will be having a suite on the Solstice this summer. Maybe will try the Luminae then, maybe not.

Wow, I guess that just proves that perceptions of the same thing can be SO different. We were on the same TA and loved every meal in Luminae..... we found service to be outstanding....and certainly not slow at all...in fact we told them after a few nights that we liked a slower pace for our dinners... We had no desire to eat anywhere else and in fact only did twice out of our 16 nights and that was because we had the 2 free spec dinners with our suite. Otherwise we would have been very happy in Luminae all 16 nights.

We can't wait to enjoy it again on our next cruise on the Equinox next year!:D

Agree with you! Another idea might be to invite a few different people to dine in Luminae or Blu to get the true "flavor" of each restaurant and level of service- In addition a few guests should also be invited to the Suite lounge daily. Those few invited guests should not take away from the experience that those guests paying for the access receive.

I think especially those guests who are loyal to Celebrity- should be those included in this group. Also, Celebrity should consider inviting some neewbies into the Elite lounge every day. This could help convert them to future celebrity guests.

What a curious thought.

It reminds me of the other week on Silhouette, we were entering Michael's Club, which now has a sign on the door saying "Members Only". There was a man standing outside by the door, who my wife had spotted while she was waiting for me to arrive. They'd both been there for some time. As we entered, he tagged on behind as if part of the gang. We took a couple of seats while he walked to the far corner of the room, looked around and walked back out again.

My missus surmised that he was so keen to know what mysteries lie behind the door he just had to find out. We never saw him again. I hope he was able to tell the rest of the world about the golden curtains and the dancing pengiuns.

Agree with you! Another idea might be to invite a few different people to dine in Luminae or Blu to get the true "flavor" of each restaurant and level of service- In addition a few guests should also be invited to the Suite lounge daily. Those few invited guests should not take away from the experience that those guests paying for the access receive.

I think especially those guests who are loyal to Celebrity- should be those included in this group. Also, Celebrity should consider inviting some neewbies into the Elite lounge every day. This could help convert them to future celebrity guests.

Inviting a few passengers wouldn't be a good idea.

How would you feel if you were flying first class in an airline, and the attendants brought a few people to that section of the plane, just to sit in the seats for an hour or so. You have paid for that flying experience...the invited passenger has not.

Right now the Suites are being sold out.

JMHO...

Inviting a few passengers wouldn't be a good idea.

How would you feel if you were flying first class in an airline, and the attendants brought a few people to that section of the plane, just to sit in the seats for an hour or so. You have paid for that flying experience...the invited passenger has not.

Right now the Suites are being sold out.

JMHO...

I guess it is all about balance....Recently flying back to the UK from Australia on business it seemed criminal that there were some vacant seats....I would happily have 'gone to the back' and invited a few forward!!!

I do feel that perhaps Michael's and Luminae could 'host' a few events. There have been several posts recently re Elite Plus and (lack of) perks. Perhaps they could be entitled to one booked meal and booked event. If Elite guests had to 'book' their meal and time to visit Michael's then the venues should not get too full and should not compromise the experience of others.

On our recent cruises top suites have gone fast but many S2s seem to have been there until near the end....I guess the upsell fairy is giving many people the first taste of the suite life!

I do feel that perhaps Michael's and Luminae could 'host' a few events. There have been several posts recently re Elite Plus and (lack of) perks. Perhaps they could be entitled to one booked meal and booked event. If Elite guests had to 'book' their meal and time to visit Michael's then the venues should not get too full and should not compromise the experience of others.

And what about the Elite + guests that are booked in a suite? How does giving other's the "perk" of dining in Luminae enhance the perks of these Elite + cruisers?

And what about the Elite + guests that are booked in a suite? How does giving other's the "perk" of dining in Luminae enhance the perks of these Elite + cruisers?

As an Elite Plus who always books suites I would be delighted to see a few fellow Captains Club members welcomed in Michael's Club and Luminae.

No perk to me...but I don't begrudge others benefiting.

Just off the Solstice yesterday. First time on Celebrity (having sailed in Queens Grill on Cunard a dozen times), and dined almost exclusively in Luminae. It was a consistently first-rate experience, with excellent and innovative food choices, a beautiful and relaxed atmosphere, and exceptional service. The staff was never flustered or bothered by an order off-menu. I'd say the experience is right up there with the best of Queens Grill on Cunard.

I guess it is all about balance....Recently flying back to the UK from Australia on business it seemed criminal that there were some vacant seats....I would happily have 'gone to the back' and invited a few forward!!!

You might, but not so sure about your fellow travellers in that cabin. I certainly wouldn't be happy. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Phil

Just off the Solstice yesterday. First time on Celebrity (having sailed in Queens Grill on Cunard a dozen times), and dined almost exclusively in Luminae. It was a consistently first-rate experience, with excellent and innovative food choices, a beautiful and relaxed atmosphere, and exceptional service. The staff was never flustered or bothered by an order off-menu. I'd say the experience is right up there with the best of Queens Grill on Cunard.

We totally agree! Luminae was better than the specialty restaurants and the lure of the specialty restaurants vanished once we ate there.

Trish

To the OP, were you aware that you could order off the MDR (Main Dining Room) menu at any time?

Karyn

Does this apply to Blu as well? Can you order off the MDR menu at any time or do you have to ask in advance?

Food is so subjective...whats great to one is terrible to another.

Does this apply to Blu as well? Can you order off the MDR menu at any time or do you have to ask in advance?

Food is so subjective...whats great to one is terrible to another.

We have had some variation in policy when it comes to Blu on different ships. But as as rule, you cannot order anything from the MDR menu. That being said, on our last couple of Blu cruises there was a "secret" menu in Blu which consisted of a few MDR items (not actually shown on the Blu menu) that were available for the asking. As I recall these were Shrimp Cocktail, French Onion Soup, Escargot, and Cheesecake (there might have been one or two other things that I do not remember. Now, when we dine in Blu, we will always ask our waiter (early in the cruise) what items are available that are not on the menu.

Sometimes we will look at the MDR menu (it is usually posted outside the MDR) and if think it looks better then Blu's menu...we will simply ask the Blu Maitre'd to arrange for us to dine in the MDR (that particular evening).

Hank

We have had some variation in policy when it comes to Blu on different ships. But as as rule, you cannot order anything from the MDR menu. That being said, on our last couple of Blu cruises there was a "secret" menu in Blu which consisted of a few MDR items (not actually shown on the Blu menu) that were available for the asking. As I recall these were Shrimp Cocktail, French Onion Soup, Escargot, and Cheesecake (there might have been one or two other things that I do not remember. Now, when we dine in Blu, we will always ask our waiter (early in the cruise) what items are available that are not on the menu.

Sometimes we will look at the MDR menu (it is usually posted outside the MDR) and if think it looks better then Blu's menu...we will simply ask the Blu Maitre'd to arrange for us to dine in the MDR (that particular evening).

Hank

Thank you Hank.

That being said, on our last couple of Blu cruises there was a "secret" menu in Blu which consisted of a few MDR items (not actually shown on the Blu menu) that were available for the asking. As I recall these were Shrimp Cocktail, French Onion Soup, Escargot, and Cheesecakehat particular evening).

Hank

Those are not secret. They are the everyday left side menu items. Caesar salad, and steak are a couple more choices available, as well.

• 1 month later...

We are looking at booking a suite for our next cruise, and my DH had this question regarding Luminae, Can you order more than one entrée? He does love lobster, and he wants to make sure he can get more than one. :D

I am going to assume that if there is a dietary allergy, they can alter most menu items to accommodate the need. Am I correct?

Thanks

We are looking at booking a suite for our next cruise, and my DH had this question regarding Luminae, Can you order more than one entrée? He does love lobster, and he wants to make sure he can get more than one. :D

I am going to assume that if there is a dietary allergy, they can alter most menu items to accommodate the need. Am I correct?

Thanks

Yes, you can order anything you want in Luminae (and as much), and they will deal with dietary issues. Both those things are possible in the main dining room too, but the service in Luminae is much more personalized so no problem. You may not even be limited to the nights when lobster is available in the MDR -- we had a Luminae waiter volunteer to get us filet mignons with 24 hours notice [he did, and they were great!]

I agree. It also seems pretty close to the quantity of choices in the MDR, if you take away the "everyday" items. Given that this is only 1 of the 14 Luminae dinner menus, I'm really looking forward to our cruise! [And of course when you add the complete MDR menu, Luminae gives far more choices -- but several posters seem to feel Luminae should be judged only by its own printed menu.] OP is entitled to his opinions and to his taste in food, but I have never had anything on any ship that I could call "too spicy" -- I wonder if the mismatch was between Luminae's culinary style and OP's tastes in general?

This is an update to my quoted post, now that we have dined in Luminae on our 12-nt Greek Isles cruise. We did have a spicy soup one night -- it was terrific! I was always able to find interesting things to try on the Luminae menu, and made use of the ability to order an extra to take some chances [sweetbreads! one and done :eek: but not Luminae's fault]. DW supplemented the Luminae choices with MDR items and was very happy with the resulting range of choices. Not everything was perfect, but overall the quality was very high and we were very pleased. Rereading OP's first post again, I am getting a strong vibe that OP prefers simple recipes and Luminae is just too "fancy." That's a valid taste issue and OP is probably correct to go back to Blu -- but we are very happy that we skipped over Blu and went straight to Luminae!

Second night of a 14 night cruise our waiter In Luminae found out that my favourite salad was the wedge. He had it for me almost every night after that even though it wasn't on the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bbeltmom

My wife and I do not frequent Luminae or Blu, even though the food and service are very good and at times excellent. We prefer the MDR since we enjoy sitting with new people each night. For us, that is one of benefits of the cruise experience. At Luminae and Blu, the tables are two and four, at least for the times we tried them.

My wife and I do not frequent Luminae or Blu, even though the food and service are very good and at times excellent. We prefer the MDR since we enjoy sitting with new people each night. For us, that is one of benefits of the cruise experience. At Luminae and Blu, the tables are two and four, at least for the times we tried them.

True enough but in both Blu & Luminae the tables are close enough together to carry on conversations with those next to you...ESPECIALLY in Blu but still far enough apart to have a private dinner if that's what you want.....that's just one of the things we really like about Luminae!:)

Thanks for this information. That's a great perk to be able to order off of three different menus. I am returning to X after a very long absence. This will be a great perk for my DW and I when we sali the Solstice in 2018.....:):):)

Bob

On our cruise last March we were giving the MDR menu and Luminae menu each night. I did not know I could order off of the Blu menu. You do have the option of dining in Blu. Each evening I would order off of each menu. The service was great.