seasickness patch alternatives

lindseesmom

I swear by Meclizine (that's the generic med that is in Bonnie, Less Drowsy Dramamine, and the prescription Antivert). I use it for vertigo as needed anyway, and I use it without gap on cruises with excellent results. You can buy it on amazon in large quantities for not much money. http://www.amazon.com/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100/dp/B004FJFF2A?ie=UTF8&keywords=meclizine&qid=1464446469&ref_=sr_1_1_a_it&sr=8-1

You can buy them in larger quantities for even less per unit. I usually get them in the 300 count (3-100 count bottles).

I've used ginger, I've used those motion sickness wrist bands, and I've used green apples.. Meclizine works for me, works well, and is cheap.

Your results may vary of course.

Cheers, and good luck!

FL

My wife and I were just having this discussion, she is considering those motion sickness wrist bands. She doesn't normally get motion sickness, this is her first cruise, so she's just being proactively cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I swear by Meclizine (that's the generic med that is in Bonnie, Less Drowsy Dramamine, and the prescription Antivert). I use it for vertigo as needed anyway, and I use it without gap on cruises with excellent results. You can buy it on amazon in large quantities for not much money. http://www.amazon.com/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100/dp/B004FJFF2A?ie=UTF8&keywords=meclizine&qid=1464446469&ref_=sr_1_1_a_it&sr=8-1

You can buy them in larger quantities for even less per unit. I usually get them in the 300 count (3-100 count bottles).

I've used ginger, I've used those motion sickness wrist bands, and I've used green apples.. Meclizine works for me, works well, and is cheap.

Your results may vary of course.

Cheers, and good luck!

FL

Two thumbs up for the Bonine..which you can purchase over the counter. Start taking a day or two before the cruise to get it in your system. It does make some people drowsy and I suggest taking it before going to bed.

My wife and I were just having this discussion, she is considering those motion sickness wrist bands. She doesn't normally get motion sickness, this is her first cruise, so she's just being proactively cautious.

Won't sail without them. DH even used them when deep sea fishing in Gulf of Mexico. We also take ginger capsules (WalMart) and ginger gum. Have tried all other methods mentioned by others and don't want to spend my curise sleeping or lacking get up and go. I think we have 6 pair of the wrist bands....be certain to read and follow the directions.

My insurance will not pay for the patch and it is too expensive. I have had success with the patch. But what about the dramamine or bonine? Or other alternatives?

Thanks!

lindseesmom: Have you experienced motion sickness in the past? In my experience most people use patches because they FEAR they will get sick, not because they have gotten sick in the past. The patches are awful. Common side effects are extreme dry mouth and badly blurred vision. I would never recommend them unless someone has a history of seasickness and has booked an itinerary where the seas might actually be rough.

Some friends have recommended a device called "Reliefband for Motion & Morning Sickness" which is available on Amazon (from a company called Relief Band) for about $90. It zaps a pressure point on your wrist (you can set the strength of the "zap" from 1 to 5) and works on a similar principal to the stretch bands that press on the same pressure point (but are much cheaper). When sailing with said friends on a TA itinerary they let us try it in order to determine whether the "zap" was uncomfortable for us. It didn't bother me at all on a medium setting but hubby didn't like the feeling. I plan to get one before our next transatlantic cruise "just in case".

FWIW.

k.

Because I'm extremely motion sickness prone, I have been using Bonine since 1984 when I started cruising. Back then it was prescription only Meclizine. Another pharmaceutical name for it is Antivert. it was developed to prevent vertigo.

It is over the counter everywhere. I take one in the morning before going to the ship, and the second around 5pm. It has never failed me, and it has never made me sleepy.

Normally I don't need any more after the first day, but coming out of Cozumel can be rough, so I do the same routine that day. If ever the ship gets rocky, I chew another one.

For somebody who gets sick watching kids on a swing, it's my little chewable miracle.

The wristbands and ginger pills sound good, but I don't dare take the chance.

My late wife swore by Motion Eaze two drops Behind the ears and she never had problem. No script needed it can be found in some Walmarts. It can be applied as needed and works quick.

Edited by flczr

The wrist bands have worked well for me you can find them at most drug stores for about $7.99-10 but Bonine is also good. I actually have a prescription for mecklazine due to sinus induced vertigo it is my little wonder pill and very cheap. Also if you are sensitive or allergic to aspirin go with the bonine/mecklazine. Normally I am good on small boats in rough water. but something about the cruise ships though the first day always takes me a bit to get used to or if we hit rough seas the motion sickness will kick back up.

Meclizine here too! (Bonine, Less-Drowsy Dramamine, store brand, whatever!). I take it once per night starting the night before boarding the ship. On rough days, I take an extra dose in the morning.

As always, check with your doctor or pharmacist to ensure it won't interact with any other medications! :)

I also use meclizine pills. Can't sail without them. I also used the Dramamine less drowsy pills last month on Oasis. I noticed this last cruise I needed more than my one per night before bed pill. I was using the Dramamine ones during the day too. I was staying on deck 17, maybe bc I was on a higher deck I felt more motion? There was one night we had a medical emergency and the ship turned around to head back to Mexico and the shaking bc of the turn was making me feel sick that I had to take another pill. I also use ginger oil under my tongue.

lindseesmom: Have you experienced motion sickness in the past? In my experience most people use patches because they FEAR they will get sick, not because they have gotten sick in the past. The patches are awful. Common side effects are extreme dry mouth and badly blurred vision. I would never recommend them unless someone has a history of seasickness and has booked an itinerary where the seas might actually be rough.

Some friends have recommended a device called "Reliefband for Motion & Morning Sickness" which is available on Amazon (from a company called Relief Band) for about $90. It zaps a pressure point on your wrist (you can set the strength of the "zap" from 1 to 5) and works on a similar principal to the stretch bands that press on the same pressure point (but are much cheaper). When sailing with said friends on a TA itinerary they let us try it in order to determine whether the "zap" was uncomfortable for us. It didn't bother me at all on a medium setting but hubby didn't like the feeling. I plan to get one before our next transatlantic cruise "just in case".

FWIW.

k.

I've used the Relief Band for years when every other suggested remedy did nothing for me. It was a last resort, but really did the trick. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Because I'm extremely motion sickness prone, I have been using Bonine since 1984 when I started cruising. Back then it was prescription only Meclizine. Another pharmaceutical name for it is Antivert. it was developed to prevent vertigo.

It is over the counter everywhere. I take one in the morning before going to the ship, and the second around 5pm. It has never failed me, and it has never made me sleepy.

Normally I don't need any more after the first day, but coming out of Cozumel can be rough, so I do the same routine that day. If ever the ship gets rocky, I chew another one.

For somebody who gets sick watching kids on a swing, it's my little chewable miracle.

The wristbands and ginger pills sound good, but I don't dare take the chance.

Ditto! for me.. I use all of them.. meclizine, ginger root, ginger candy, sea bands.

I have used the patch and it got me more dizzy and out of it especially the feelings I wanted to avoid.. I have about 10 left over...

Ginger "may" be good for nausea in some cases, but that is about it. It will do nothing to prevent or do away with sea sickness. This is a fact.

May not work for you but it works for us. Fact.

May not work for you but it works for us. Fact.

I don't get seasick and therefore have never tried it. You may look up the benefits of ginger if you care to. If it helps with your nauseousness, that is great. The fact is, it does not prevent seasickness. Look it up.

Always keep in mind what works for one person might not work well for another. It's no different than almost any remedy.

So in the end you some of this has to be figured out by trial.

We use Bonine. It's essentially the same ingredients as Dramamine or Sea Calm. We only use one tablet per 24 hours even though the instructions say up to two tablets. We take them proactively should the captain note that rough seas may occur. If you wait until you are already sick they don't work well and can cause more side effects. And like any medicine there are side effects which ones if any occur depends on each person. The key is to follow the directions.

Some people do well with ginger tables or ginger. Others with an apple and/or crackers.

Other do well with the sea bands but even the manufacturer notes that they only work effective for around 50% of the population.

Keith

The key is PREVENTION... Once symptoms set in its most likely too late (personal experience). Bonine works great for us. No drowsiness. First dose before we leave home, and once per day usually at bed time.

Ive used non Drowsy Gravol, and the wrist bands. My very first cruise we experienced a crazy storm. The front desk was handing out pills for free. Took one before i went to bed more as preventing symptoms. I was fine, but 2/3 of my group not so much. One gal bought a pair of bands and shared it with her cabin mate. BIG MISTAKE as they must be worn in pairs for equilibrium. As soon as she wore 2 she was fine. I found out i dont get seasick but once on land, my sea legs made me extremely nauseous

Always keep in mind what works for one person might not work well for another. It's no different than almost any remedy.

So in the end you some of this has to be figured out by trial.

snip

Keith

Not just trial, but also error. The later makes things messy . . . ;)