For some reason we are VIP

LrgPizza

I don't think it is from someone posting on Cruise Critic, but wondering if, in your case and LrgPizza's case, it wasn't the person who you booked the cruise with.

I guess when one gets it, other than the organizer of the Meet and Greet which seems to happen most of the time, they should just enjoy and not wonder where it came from.

I didn't think to ask the person I work with at CAS, but I work with him all the time and so not sure why he would have chosen that particular cruise. But, good thought, I'll ask him!

As far as wondering and asking "why", for me it was more about wanting to thank whoever arranged it. It is also helpful to know "in advance" when you are going to receive VIP perks in terms of planning. I was on the Gem with several friends in different cabins who didn't receive this benefit. It was a bit confusing at embarkation when I was directed away from them - and same with disembarkation. Also, the concierge graciously allowed me to bring a guest to the captain's cocktail party - I probably wouldn't have gone alone.

I guess you wanted to make it easy for Ncl to identify you by disclosing your cabins

If you think your identity regarding Ncl and CC is unknown

That has now changed as you just disclosed to Ncl who you are on CC and now Ncl knows exactly who you are

I agree with some other posters that you started this thread to be self serving

I'm confused. Was I supposed to be keeping it a secret? I've already emailed a few people at NCL about it giving a thanks, and of course signing my real name.

How is this self-serving? I'm still hoping to find out why we received VIP service, so I guess that is self-serving, since I'm the one that wants the answer. :rolleyes:

I don't think it is from someone posting on Cruise Critic, but wondering if, in your case and LrgPizza's case, it wasn't the person who you booked the cruise with. Whether it be CAS or the regular line, I'm guessing that sometimes when they get a polite happy person to deal with, they have the option to give the perk. Just think about it, probably during the day, they deal with a lot of complainers/whiners/grumpy folks and when they get a really nice person, they probably want to reward them. Just a thought.

I guess when one gets it, other than the organizer of the Meet and Greet which seems to happen most of the time, they should just enjoy and not wonder where it came from.

When it happened in October, I didn't even wonder about it or post about it. I really became curious after it happened the 2nd time, hence making this post.

I must say that I find it amusing that it's rubbed some people wrong. There are plenty here that I could say BOO! and their panties would get in a wad. That's just how some people are though, and no skin off my back.

Several people have been very helpful here, and I really appreciate it.

Edited by LrgPizza

When it happened in October, I didn't even wonder about it or post about it. I really became curious after it happened the 2nd time, hence making this post.

I must say that I find it amusing that it's rubbed some people wrong. There are plenty here that I could say BOO! and their panties would get in a wad. That's just how some people are though, and no skin off my back

Several people have been very helpful here, and I really appreciate it.

I think the only ones that were rubbed the wrong way are those that are jealous. I am glad you were able to enjoy it and I sincerely hope that you continue to get it on future cruises. As I always say, you get what you give out.

No not on a regular basis but I do know they read cc and my guess is that in this case they may just want to put real name to CC handle name

Just a logical realistic presumption

If my measly posts on cruise critic have somehow put me on their radar, I'd be nothing but flattered, but I don't inflate my importance like that, so I think it's way less than likely. But if so, I'd certainly be flattered.

There are thousands of posters here. I've never even seen your username before, and I'm here all the time and you apparently post all the time. See what I mean?

Obviously an NCL clerical error. Astounding.

LMAO! I know, right? That's what we laughed about the whole cruise! Of all the possible suggested reasons, that one makes the most sense! :D :D

If my measly posts on cruise critic have somehow put me on their radar, I'd be nothing but flattered, but I don't inflate my importance like that, so I think it's way less than likely. But if so, I'd certainly be flattered.

There are thousands of posters here. I've never even seen your username before, and I'm here all the time and you apparently post all the time. See what I mean?

Um ok

I'm confused. Was I supposed to be keeping it a secret? I've already emailed a few people at NCL about it giving a thanks, and of course signing my real name.

How is this self-serving? I'm still hoping to find out why we received VIP service, so I guess that is self-serving, since I'm the one that wants the answer. :rolleyes:

You are, of course, free to talk about it or keep it a secret...as you see fit.

That said, outside of being someone who is of some importance to NCL, there is no way for anyone here to tell you why you were, or how you could be, given VIP status.

I can offer this. Talking about it publicly is a very quick way to ensure NCL doesn't give it to you the next time. Bridge tours used to be something given to CC members on occasion. Then too many people starting posting about it, which caused others to request/insist on bridge tours themselves, which led to no more bridge tours for CC members.

A little discretion on your part is always appreciated by those who grant you the "extras".

That said, outside of being someone who is of some importance to NCL, there is no way for anyone here to tell you why you were, or how you could be, given VIP status.

I can offer this. Talking about it publicly is a very quick way to ensure NCL doesn't give it to you the next time. Bridge tours used to be something given to CC members on occasion. Then too many people starting posting about it, which caused others to request/insist on bridge tours themselves, which led to no more bridge tours for CC members.

A little discretion on your part is always appreciated by those who grant you the "extras".

This is true. Because there's always 1 or 2 who see this & start conniving to get the same treatment. It loses its luster, and becomes an overhead.

We book suites (or upgrades to suites) regularly, so the VIP extras are nice, but not always distinguishable from what we actually paid for. We certainly never 'expect' them, but we're also not surprised when the HD or Captain invites us to join for dinner. It's not every cruise, but it's been most of the past 10 or so...and it may just be that we've been nice, to the right people.

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

Exactly

Some people think the Internet is anonymous and post just too much info

I especially love it when on the roll calls they do stuff like this....

Hi we are Bud and Betsey from Redbud, Vermont and cant wait to meet all of you!!

We are leaving home 3 days pre cruise to stay in NYC at the xyz in Times Square

Please add us to the roll call

Might as well publish your alarm code too

I on the other hand always camouflage personal facts

Edited by luvtheships

Exactly

Hi we are Bud and Betsey from Redbud, Vermont and cant wait to meet all of you!!

Ridiculous. What you're leaving out is that Bud and Betsy have two trigger-happy sons named Bruce and Bobby. They're watching the house, you see.

This is true. Because there's always 1 or 2 who see this & start conniving to get the same treatment. It loses its luster, and becomes an overhead.

We book suites (or upgrades to suites) regularly, so the VIP extras are nice, but not always distinguishable from what we actually paid for. We certainly never 'expect' them, but we're also not surprised when the HD or Captain invites us to join for dinner. It's not every cruise, but it's been most of the past 10 or so...and it may just be that we've been nice, to the right people.

Your experience actually makes me feel better! The fact that you book suites and still get VIP invites, etc. has dispelled one cynical thought I'd had about my Gem VIP benefits. I regularly book suites/Haven when traveling alone (I was in the Breakaway Haven the week before my Gem cruise) but I purposely do NOT book suites when I am traveling with friends who have other financial priorities and don't book suites. It is no fun for me to be in the Haven when all the folks I'm traveling with are not. :(

I'd almost thought that NCL offered me VIP benefits when I booked a balcony on the Gem in order to "encourage" me to continue to book suites.

I think that you're right that it was just someone, somewhere trying to be nice!

Great points. I'd probably be 3 days into a 7 day cruise before I'd notice I didn't have the perks. HA! But based on the responses here, I can see how the part of your comment I bolded above can easily become an issue. There is definitely an attitude of people thinking they have to have everything that everyone else has. It's sad, really. Hopefully the perks are moved on to others more deserving. I still feel like it was all a big accident, but it was fun.

Were it not for CC, I'd never have heard the term VIP, or known that we were receiving anything out of the ordinary, so hopefully my post has helped others.

Why would they care? They used to sometimes post when a big fuss was made by a CC member but I haven't seen it in ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You don't think they care what's being posted on cc? Really?

Sometimes stealth is best and while ncl isn't posting much here it doesn't mean they aren't reading here

To even think they ignore cc posts is ridiculous. Of course they read them. It's good business practice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly

And one of the reasons I sold my home of 30 years was to live in a security high rise. Complete with 24 hour concierge and fob-activated elevators. It is great to feel so safe.

I used to experience a level of anxiety while travelling. Will my electronics be there when I return home???

Edited by DMH15

I am very surprised that the most logical explanation has not yet been posted.

Glinda the good witch came down and bestowed the VIP status.

Love it.

What a WICKED reply. Wink.

Ridiculous. What you're leaving out is that Bud and Betsy have two trigger-happy sons named Bruce and Bobby. They're watching the house, you see.

Not ridiculous at all

I recall a poster who gave their first and last names ages and the town they lived in on Long Island along with other personal info

I don't even put my home address on my luggage tags on the rare occasion I check them in

Just my cell phone number and the destination hotel so it could be sent there if need be

I have separate return luggage tags that just have my cell and destination: JFK LGA or Mco or Lax or wherever my destination is

And nope I'm not paranoid or overreacting I just understand how easy it is for any number of people to rip off the luggage tag with a local home address on it. Think it through.

Btw it's well known travel advice not to put your home address on luggage tags just your cell and last name

Sometimes I put my last name on sometimes not. I also take a pic of my luggage and email to myself

I make homemade laminated tags and hole punch them at home and attach with zip ties

Tags for outbound

Then remove them and replace with the return tags

Travel takes good planning and I'm expert at that

Nice extra and free topping to your cruise Pizza!! :)

Concerning the thread, some on CC wish and or believe that a high post count or standing out in some sort would result in a certain recognition and receiving such treatment, sometime ever. Which makes it a near self fulfilling prophecy.

I share the thought that NCL might incidentally gather some information on CC on any subject and that they might use some social engineering to make some useful connections. But if NCL would really be into that game; why isn't there 1 FTE doing some structural webcare/community building on the largest cruise board online? That always wondered me..

So I will stick with them knowing you as others said via Andy, and HD or whoever pulled the strings. :)

Either way; you had some great perks, enjoyed them and that's the purpose right? :D

And one of the reasons I sold my home of 30 years was to live in a security high rise. Complete with 24 hour concierge and fob-activated elevators. It is great to feel so safe.

I used to experience a level of anxiety while travelling. Will my electronics be there when I return home???

I hear you!!!!

Edited by luvtheships

I am very surprised that the most logical explanation has not yet been posted.

Glinda the good witch came down and bestowed the VIP status.

I'd be more likely to have the house dropped on me, but I like your way of thinking :p

5 pages in and I think that's the best reason so far.

I'm glad you had a wonderful cruise op. I've only sailed the Gem with NCL and she is a beautiful ship!

Thank you. You must try the Escape! The service, food, entertainment, crew were all out of this world. It was even better than the first time. I've enjoyed all my NCL cruises, but this one just topped them all.

LRGPIZZA,

My first M&G was in 2009 and i enjoyed it, it was a lot of people looking forward to having a wonderful time. My last 2-3 M&G my experience has not been as positive. I have observed a lot of people arguing and contemplating everything that will go wrong with the cruise as opposed to enjoying what is to come. I continue to go to the M&G with a lot of hesitation hoping to find people who are happy and not at all looking to complain, that said I am like you i try to be nice to everyone specially to the crew and my reward is that sometimes they come to me just because they enjoy having a conversation..

:D:D

Edited by qtaromar1970