More warnings re terror alerts in Europe

Minoushka

I recently read that alerts were elevated for many places in Europe until the end of august .how will thisaffect cruising ?I just came back from Europe but only in Turkey did w e see mirrors scanning bottoms of cars forexplosives or bombs .Turkey has really changed ...very few women around and if they are they are covered up .in the Blue Mosque a lady in charge pulled my scarfway overmybangs hard ...no blond hair could show ....A lthough apprehensive we wereok in Istanbul ...muchmore relaxed in Kusadasi .

Its a shamebeca use I reallyliked Turkey ...hope things will calm down so wecan go backwithout fearing the worse

It's an alert. See the link below

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

We were planning a cruise for next year, but now are unsure of our plans. I realize things can go wrong and happen anywhere, but at the same time, I feel safer cruising from a home port.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Based on this Alert I wouldn't (and won't ) cancel any existing cruise plans that may be affected. Alerts are designed to heighten awareness. Just be vigilant and aware. Warnings are a whole different matter.

Note we did postpone booking a river cruise through Central Europe this year due to the ongoing refugee issues in the region. We will wait a year or two to book.

Edited by Tommy3putts

Based on this Alert I wouldn't (and won't ) cancel any existing cruise plans that may be affected. Alerts are designed to heighten awareness. Just be vigilant and aware. Warnings are a whole different matter.

Exactly. I live in NYC, so it's pretty much a constant way of life to stay aware of my surroundings. Not a big deal to just keep doing so.

Besides - I firmly believe that when it's your time, it's your time - the method of how might change, but the end result won't. (ie: All the "I was supposed to be on that plane!!" people after a crash - it wasn't their time or either they would have been or something else would have happened to them on the ground.)

Exactly. I live in NYC, so it's pretty much a constant way of life to stay aware of my surroundings. Not a big deal to just keep doing so.

Besides - I firmly believe that when it's your time, it's your time - the method of how might change, but the end result won't. (ie: All the "I was supposed to be on that plane!!" people after a crash - it wasn't their time or either they would have been or something else would have happened to them on the ground.)

Agreed, well stated. I do try to avoid Darwinian activities though. I might alter or delay my future plans, but rarely will I alter things I have already planned. For example I've been going on a golf vacation every year to Puerto Vallarta. Mexico. There have been countless travel alerts. I read and become aware of issues, but I still go and love it. I just don't go outside PV.

Cheers

It's an alert dealing with increased tourism over the summer and specifically mentions France hosting the Euro 2016. Wouldn't stop me traveling but I probably wouldn't attend any games.

If I could get tickets for the games I would be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well said 🙂

It always amazes me how much people seem to panic over these things.

We had a trip to New York booked when 9/11 happened, not once did it cross our minds to cancel and we travelled a few months later.

Living in the UK we have had terrorist attacks in the past (IRA etc) and have a constant threat of an Isis related attack (or similar), it wouldn't stop me leading a normal live. Then again I believe in fate.

We had a trip to New York booked when 9/11 happened, not once did it cross our minds to cancel and we travelled a few months later.

Living in the UK we have had terrorist attacks in the past (IRA etc) and have a constant threat of an Isis related attack (or similar), it wouldn't stop me leading a normal live. Then again I believe in fate.

Well said

Personally I've been close to 4 acts of terrorism and non of them have ever made me think I can't go here I can't go there...

I was staying in time square, New York in 2010 the weekend of the car bombing attempt,

I was at London Bridge train station back in 1992 when it was blown up & was on the actual platform the had the bomb some 3 mins earlier... And guess what the train I got off was 3 mins early!

I also worked in a couple of high profile places in London that were caught up in a couple of IRA attracts,

So like others have said if you change plans or don't go somewhere because of potential issues you'd never leave the house!

Unfortunately it's the world we live in at the moment and whether the threat comes from terrorists/nutters of normal people with a grudge life continues and the more people change there plans the more these people win & this should never happen

Well said. I live in DC and leave for Istanbul in exactly one week.

chris

Please stay with the original topic:

icon1.gif More warnings re terror alerts in Europe

I recently read that alerts were elevated for many places in Europe until the end of august .how will thisaffect cruising ?I just came back from Europe but only in Turkey did w e see mirrors scanning bottoms of cars forexplosives or bombs .Turkey has really changed ...very few women around and if they are they are covered up .in the Blue Mosque a lady in charge pulled my scarfway overmybangs hard ...no blond hair could show ....A lthough apprehensive we wereok in Istanbul ...muchmore relaxed in Kusadasi .

Its a shamebeca use I reallyliked Turkey ...hope things will calm down so wecan go backwithout fearing the worse

The topic is the effect of terror alerts on cruise travel.

Thanks.

I was in Konya, Turkey in February. We had mirrors used under the car. Our next cruise is Amsterdam to Rome in August. Our plans have not changed. We will be gone 20 days with stays in London, Amsterdam then back to London for a week.

Thanks.

But I do think the Turkey comments are relevant to cruise travel. Many cruiselines last year and I think into this year are cancelling Turkey ports.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6769

We have mixed emotions. On one hand, we do appreciate that the State Department puts out advisories and warnings and we actually read the detailed info (on the State Dept web site) prior to our trips. On the other hand, DW and I are frequent international travelers (spend about half the year outside the USA) and we make our own decisions based on experience and info. We just returned (in early May) from a 2 month trip to Europe and, just last week, booked another European trip for next month. We understand there is some risk to travel, but are comfortable travelers who are willing to take that risk in stride without a 2nd thought. If we are unlucky, then the State Department can say "we told you so."

But we also know some folks who are very risk adverse. They get upset about any warning, often only take cruise line excursions because they are afraid to do anything on their own or with private tours, and probably lose sleep worrying about a rouge wave sweeping them off a ship! We think those folks deserve a lot of credit for even leaving their home town, but also feel a little sorry for them because they must live with their demons. Bottom line is that not everyone is mentally suited to be international travelers. There is no right or wrong...it is just a simple fact.

Hank

P.S. We were again in Turkey (last month) and enjoyed it as much as every other visit. If we had the opportunity, DW and I would happily be walking around Istanbul tomorrow.

Edited by Hlitner

But I do think the Turkey comments are relevant to cruise travel. Many cruiselines last year and I think into this year are cancelling Turkey ports.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6769

I totally agree; warnings are valid. Things can happen in the US as well. The world has changed. Use common sense and make your own devision based on your needs. The more one has traveled, the perspective changes. I have friends in The Middle East who are afraid to come to the US or UK. My personal opinion is that everyone's view is different. Many have not traveled the world. Your personal comfort zone is the indicator. No one answer is correct for all travelers. Do what your inner sense tells you to do. But make your own decision. If fear is a part, then don't cruise...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Thanks.

I also think this post was relevant to cruise travel. Certainly appreciate the comments regarding Istanbul versus Kusadasi current environment.

It's an alert. See the link below

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

We were planning a cruise for next year, but now are unsure of our plans. I realize things can go wrong and happen anywhere, but at the same time, I feel safer cruising from a home port.

It is difficult not to be worried but just listen to your local and National news, such as UCLA shootings and then the women he killed in another state and all the other daily random acts of violence here in the US, that should put things in perspective. I don't think these acts of terrorism or the threats will ever go away and we would miss so much if we put our lives on hold and they would win.

There was a report published today (can't recall where from and I've just looked). But essentially it was saying that the deaths from Terrorism in 2015 deaths were lower than 2014, and that 75% of deaths occurred in 5 countries ( Iraq, Syria, Nigeria, Afghanistan and Pakistan).

Not to say that there isn't a threat (there's ALWAYS a threat) but just trying to put this into context.

Live your lives.....

I totally agree; warnings are valid. Things can happen in the US as well. The world has changed. Use common sense and make your own devision based on your needs. The more one has traveled, the perspective changes. I have friends in The Middle East who are afraid to come to the US or UK. My personal opinion is that everyone's view is different. Many have not traveled the world. Your personal comfort zone is the indicator. No one answer is correct for all travelers. Do what your inner sense tells you to do. But make your own decision. If fear is a part, then don't cruise...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well said. Last September we spend three weeks touring England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland by land. At one time we thought about maybe canceling

and booking later but what would that have accomplished, except allowing the terrorist to win! Just plan your trips and go, because if you sit at home waiting for a terror free world, you'll probably die waiting and only miss out on exploring this wonderful world. :)