Reasearching Viking

saturn3

I have been on many cruises. With Carnival,Norwegian and Princess all over the Caribbean Hawaii and just recently Alaska. I am now looking at Viking and see they to do have Ocean cruises (at least two ships). I know they do to exotic destinations they are a smaller size ship. But never being on a Viking cruise what other similarities and differences would I find compared to the one s I have been on. Foe example entertainment is a big plus for me on a cruise, and of course buffets and restaurants. Prices seem a bit higher not sure because that is for two people or because airfare is included

all info would be greatly appreciated

Saturn

I have been on many cruises. With Carnival,Norwegian and Princess all over the Caribbean Hawaii and just recently Alaska. I am now looking at Viking and see they to do have Ocean cruises (at least two ships). I know they do to exotic destinations they are a smaller size ship. But never being on a Viking cruise what other similarities and differences would I find compared to the one s I have been on. Foe example entertainment is a big plus for me on a cruise, and of course buffets and restaurants. Prices seem a bit higher not sure because that is for two people or because airfare is included

all info would be greatly appreciated

Saturn

You will find entertainment is like night and day between the mainstream lines and Viking. If entertainment is a big part of your cruise Viking may not be for you.

Check out this blog on Viking Star....https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Saturn,

You may be looking at a cruise that has included airfare, but that is not always the case. Also, when you are looking at a 'two for one' pricing, the price below the price with the slash thru it is the price for one person. But, although Viking's prices are higher than the mainstream lines that you have mentioned, there are a lot of amenities included on Viking that you will pay extra for on those mainstream lines.

Although you can find and compare those differences on the lines' websites, I will highlight a few of the differences here. Viking provides free wi-fi service to all guests. Wine, beer and soda are complimentary at lunch and dinner. Viking provides one included tour in each port.

On Viking Oceans, all cabins are veraandas and a self-service laundry, with included laundry detergent, is provided at no charge to all passengers.

Also, as you have mentioned dining as important to you, Viking Oceans has several dining options, including two specialty restaurants at no additional charge.

Happy planning!

Becki

Like the OP, we are also considering a Viking ocean cruise, and would like to know if full payment is due at the time of booking (as is the case with the river cruises). Is this a deal breaker for anyone?

We paid 50% not long after booking (14 months before departure),& the remainder around 3 mths out. Travelling on 14/8, so I expect to receive documents/flight tkts 3 wks prior to dep.

The arrival of your documents is dependant on when you depart your home city. i.e we're doing 10 days travelling prior to embarkation, so the docs should arrive earlier than if we were flying out direct to the embarkation port.

Booked a cruise yesterday [to what then was the United Kingdom ;)] for 2018. Viking wanted full payment by the end of 2016, but my TA got it pushed to 6 months before sailing. Still not as good as the other cruise lines we have dealt with, but much better than the "policy."

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Like the OP, we are also considering a Viking ocean cruise, and would like to know if full payment is due at the time of booking (as is the case with the river cruises). Is this a deal breaker for anyone?

We have done 4 river cruises with Viking and have never had to pay full payment at time of booking. Perhaps your booking was for a cruise that was in less than a year?

In any case, for Viking, there is typically a D/P to hold your cabin, with the balance due by a specified time. As mentioned, if the time frame for final payment does not work for you, your T.A. may be able to negotiate a later date for you.

Becki

Welcome to Viking Ocean. I booked my July 10-24, cruise of the Baltic in January 2015, and it was mostly sold out. Almost everyone booking with them on this new offering was told the same thing--full payment due within 60 days of initial booking. Feel free to check it out!~

My apologies-- after sending this earlier comment, I got to thinking that what I stated didn't seem correct so I checked my records and the facts are that we booked and paid our initial $1000 deposit on Feb 14, 2014--then had to make full 100% payment of total price within 30 days, and paid it on March 14, 2014--over 26 months prior to our cruise due to sail next month. Even my TA was surprised not having dealt with Viking Ocean as a new cruise offering, that we had to pay 100% so far in advance. This surprise/confusion/anger was shared by almost everyone commenting on this CruiseCritic site back in 2014. many folks were told of comments from Viking when challenged to "take it or leave it". Interesting to note that this was only one of many negative reports about the terrible lack of customer service by their corporate/booking office personnel. Fortunately they seem to have drastically improved and their shipboard staff have always performed in an exceptional manner.

Suggestion- might want to check past history before questioning someones comments on this link.

My TA told me that when Viking Ocean debuted, they were indeed demanding full payment very soon after booking. But there was a lot of pushback -- most importantly from high-volume Travel Agents -- and Viking has now relaxed to the point that you just have to ask and they will be very flexible.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

My TA told me that when Viking Ocean debuted, they were indeed demanding full payment very soon after booking. But there was a lot of pushback -- most importantly from high-volume Travel Agents -- and Viking has now relaxed to the point that you just have to ask and they will be very flexible.

This. We paid for the Star maiden voyage well over a year out, but our next Star cruise final payment isn't due until 6 months out. Even with that, they still have a refund schedule (at least for the US) that allows you to cancel and get a refund minus $100 per person fairly close to departure, 120 days maybe? Oh, from their website, here it is:

Cancellation received | Following charges will apply: (Broken out by days before departure) 121 days or more is $100 per person | 120-90 days is 15% of full fare | 89-60 days is 35% of full fare | 59-30 days is 50% of full fare | 29-0 days is 100% of full fare.

As to your other questions, I haven't sailed Carnival or Norwegian, but I have many times on Princess. The food on Viking is head and shoulders above Princess, which has gone downhill in the past decade or so for sure. Also, the cheapest cabin on Viking, the V2, is larger and much more comfortable that a mid-range balcony cabin on Princess. It's not as large as a mini-suite, probably somewhere in-between?

We booked a Feb 2017 Viking Star cruise in April. Final payment was deferred to the end of July (just over six months before the cruise.)

Ok but isn't the Star an ocean liner. Are you sure the river cruises are given the same leeway? Also six months full payment is still much sooner than your typical ocean cruise. But if the cancel for any reason waiver was being offered it would be easier to swallow. Jmo

Ok, re the responses to my post to OceanPatter:

Firstly, I was responding to two things addressed in that poster's message, Viking river cruises and ocean cruises. I have cruised on both. The poster had asked if full payment on Viking Ocean was due at the time of booking as was on the river ships. I was trying to clarify that issue.

We sailed on the maiden voyage of the Viking Star from Istanbul to Venice. Our d/p was $1k and final payment was made 6 mos. later. Although I do agree that is not the norm for ocean cruising, I was happy to pay it at that time and go on my cruise debt-free.

Becki

I booked for an October 2017 sailing in May, paid the deposit at that time and just paid the balance in full (including airfare). The same as when I booked a Viking river cruise 18 mos in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Made our deposit payment of $500 pp on 12/6/15, for our West Indies cruise out of San Juan on Jan.6, 2017. Final payment is due this coming week, June 30, 2016. Our TA noted that Viking wanted final payment sooner then we normally are required to pay since Viking, as part of their promotion, is including roundtrip airfare for us from FLL to SJU.

The additional difference one might note is that you go on line to arrange times for included port tours, or picking optional tours, depending on the level grade of your cabin. In our case, naturally picking the least expensive cabin, since they all have balconies, and we're not rich, we cannot make these choices for our cruise until November 7th. Our TA questioned the Viking representative as to whether this indeed is discrimination and he said it probably is, but corporate gets away with it!!! We don't see it as a big factor, but some might.

We did, as I'm sure others have to, received a $100 pp discount, when we booked, since we had done a previous river cruise with Viking. :)

We were on the Star the first year and we had to pay the balance way in advance....almost two years! Now we have a cruise booked for February, 2017 on the Star and they are asking for final payment this month. I asked my TA to find out if we can get the date extended and they responded "no".

Made our deposit payment of $500 pp on 12/6/15, for our West Indies cruise out of San Juan on Jan.6, 2017. Final payment is due this coming week, June 30, 2016. Our TA noted that Viking wanted final payment sooner then we normally are required to pay since Viking, as part of their promotion, is including roundtrip airfare for us from FLL to SJU.

The additional difference one might note is that you go on line to arrange times for included port tours, or picking optional tours, depending on the level grade of your cabin. In our case, naturally picking the least expensive cabin, since they all have balconies, and we're not rich, we cannot make these choices for our cruise until November 7th. Our TA questioned the Viking representative as to whether this indeed is discrimination and he said it probably is, but corporate gets away with it!!! We don't see it as a big factor, but some might.

We did, as I'm sure others have to, received a $100 pp discount, when we booked, since we had done a previous river cruise with Viking. :)

The information concerning the tours makes my blood boil. If that's the way Viking wants to do business then I want no part of it.

The information concerning the tours makes my blood boil. If that's the way Viking wants to do business then I want no part of it.

Then you probably don't want to switch to Oceania or Crystal -- they have similar ways of rewarding high-rent guests [priority for restaurant reservations, early boarding, etc.] The days of the "class-free" cruise are over.

There is a saying in the military: "Rank has it's privileges". In the real world, it's "Money has it's privileges". My uncle said "It doesn't cost any more to go first class, you just can't stay as long". On the plane, the people in economy don't get the perks of those in first class, because those people have put out more for the ticket, going to exactly the same location at the same time. The difference on Viking between V and DV cabins is about $500. For those prices, I can bring my own binoculars, buy my own drinks, go to get coffee and ask for an extra blanket if I need it and still come out way ahead. The exact same cabin on Deck 3 will be more on Deck 6 and going during peak season instead of shoulder season increases the price. These are all choices people make, depending on what is important to them. It doesn't matter if it's rent, theater tickets, warehouse clubs compared to high dollar department stores. Viking is no different in "Basic" business practices. The way they implement them may not be to your liking but that is their choice.

Then you probably don't want to switch to Oceania or Crystal -- they have similar ways of rewarding high-rent guests [priority for restaurant reservations, early boarding, etc.] The days of the "class-free" cruise are over.

Seriously? Good to know. The days of "class free" are far from over. When I'm on the river cruise I will have the same excursion and dining options as every other pax.

Seriously? Good to know. The days of "class free" are far from over. When I'm on the river cruise I will have the same excursion and dining options as every other pax.

Except those in the high-rent cabins who get a butler...

Except those in the high-rent cabins who get a butler...

I have no problem paying extra and receiving extra. My dream is to win powerball and then rent out the entire Haven on an NCL ship for family and friends . . .

But when I pay my fare I expect a basic level of service, not sloppy seconds be it food, or tours. On Viking Ocean cruises a basic excursion is advertised in the price as part of the fare. To be ranked based in cabin class is not something I care participate. Jmo.

I have no problem paying extra and receiving extra. My dream is to win powerball and then rent out the entire Haven on an NCL ship for family and friends . . .

But when I pay my fare I expect a basic level of service, not sloppy seconds be it food, or tours. On Viking Ocean cruises a basic excursion is advertised in the price as part of the fare. To be ranked based in cabin class is not something I care participate. Jmo.

When we booked our V2, we were still guaranteed the included shore excursion. I think there's only one in each port, and the worst is that you don't get your preferred time, right? They won't turn you away. We also had no trouble getting into the specialty restaurants (which are free), and all the other dining venues were first come, first served, didn't matter who you were. We did have to wait longer to get into our cabin, but not to board the ship, so it was all good.

The only thing that makes me sad is that the V1 and V2s don't get a coffee pot. I love, love, love a coffee pot. We booked a block of rooms in the V2 section of Deck 3 for a girls' cruise, and I told my sister that we could just move one cabin over in the row and be in a DV6 and get a coffee pot. She said, "Really? An $800 coffee pot? No."

So it's really about price and choices. I feel like the regular verandah cabins are a great value.