Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

A phone rep today told me that the water/soda ban was for security reasons because of, you know, terrorism. I pointed out that there is no ban on other liquids, including shampoo and wine. She insisted that they open the wine bottles in the terminal before boarding to check on their contents. WHA???????

A phone rep today told me that the water/soda ban was for security reasons because of, you know, terrorism. I pointed out that there is no ban on other liquids, including shampoo and wine. She insisted that they open the wine bottles in the terminal before boarding to check on their contents. WHA???????

This is an example that the "cover-up is worse than the crime". The water soda ban is bad enough, but does NCL have to stoop so low that they blatantly and overtly insult the intelligence of their paying customers?

^^ Seems about right ^^

This is an example that the "cover-up is worse than the crime". The water soda ban is bad enough, but does NCL have to stoop so low that they blatantly and overtly insult the intelligence of their paying customers?

Wait, that's not true...?

So, to piggyback.. Remember when your parents told you not to lie..? And if you do, you have to make up another lie to cover up your original lie? This sounds like more of that.. Just come out and say what we all know and want to hear.... You do that, you will again gain some respect from your fellow NCL passengers.

Not an issue. No one said that you can't bring your own packaged coffee to use in your cabin coffee maker. Not yet anyway.

The problem is mocking people who have a strong preference for one beverage, be it Diet Coke or Coffee.

And yes, "Diet Coke" is my "coffee equivalent"... first thing in the morning, while DH drinks his coffee next to me.

That is the issue I was addressing.

(Not sure how one can bring on "packaged Diet Coke", per your response :confused:)

But to repeat, our MAJOR objection is how NCL notified people.

We were NOT personally affected by the "post-penalty notification", and we did indeed cancel the two cruises nearing penalty phase.

But not everyone had that opportunity.

It would have been SO SIMPLE for NCL to select a date in the future such that no one was in penalty, and to send a blast email to *everyone*, rather than the piddling "batches" - as though it was too costly to send all the emails at once - computers are very, very fast, and all of the e-addresses that are needed are already in their system... that's how they confirmed the deposit, after all...

It would have been SO SIMPLE for NCL to select a date in the future such that no one was in penalty, and to send a blast email to *everyone*, rather than the piddling "batches" - as though it was too costly to send all the emails at once - computers are very, very fast, and all of the e-addresses that are needed are already in their system... that's how they confirmed the deposit, after all...

I agree and told NCL that they should have sent out a press release to all customers, but if they just pick a date, as you suggest, then you would have those complaining that they already purchase their airfare and it would cost them to cancel...so no matter when NCL announces some will be upset.

Judging by those who have posted about what is happening at the pier and discussions they have had on the ship, the policy certainly seems like a non-issue for the majority and the majority is who businesses should cater to.

I agree and told NCL that they should have sent out a press release to all customers, but if they just pick a date, as you suggest, then you would have those complaining that they already purchase their airfare and it would cost them to cancel...so no matter when NCL announces some will be upset.

Judging by those who have posted about what is happening at the pier and discussions they have had on the ship, the policy certainly seems like a non-issue for the majority and the majority is who businesses should cater to.

Sure, let's worry about the handful with air booked and ignore the thousands with their final payment made?

Come on. Clearly not EVERYONE will consider the notification good enough, but the vast majority would, and that's better than annoying everyone.

And most people are still on their cruise and not posting here. I've seen one person post from their cruise saying it was a non issue .Hold off until their cruises are over.

Edited by janpo

That statement is more of a damning indictment of the intelligence (or ignorance) of the phone rep.. But we knew that anyway, didn't we?

NLH Arizona, do you work for NCL? It seems that you could be answering the phone systems for NCL and field the complaints that people have about this policy. I have never complained on Cruise Critic (member since 2011) about anything prior to this policy change. I am sure it does not affect you, as noted by your various comments, but for people like myself and my family it does. And it is not so much as the policy itself it is the way they went about implementing it. You state "so no matter when NCL announces some will be upset." This is true because you can not please everybody but would they not show that they made some sort of effort in considering the folks who are in the penalty phase and are unable to cancel and have their money refunded?

Come on everybody we all know what this is about. It might be a slight security issue. Honestly it's all about's people smuggling alcohol. We all seen it. We all know someone who's done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I disagree. Carnival's policy which lets people bring on cans is about people smuggling alcohol, since cans can't be opened/reused to sneak on alcohol.

NCL's policy which bans even cans is about alcohol, sure, but also squeezing every last dime out of the pax by also prohibiting cans (and not providing water at cost).

nlh arizona, do you work for ncl? It seems that you could be answering the phone systems for ncl and field the complaints that people have about this policy. I have never complained on cruise critic (member since 2011) about anything prior to this policy change. I am sure it does not affect you, as noted by your various comments, but for people like myself and my family it does. And it is not so much as the policy itself it is the way they went about implementing it. You state "so no matter when ncl announces some will be upset." this is true because you can not please everybody but would they not show that they made some sort of effort in considering the folks who are in the penalty phase and are unable to cancel and have their money refunded?

+10

NLH Arizona, do you work for NCL? It seems that you could be answering the phone systems for NCL and field the complaints that people have about this policy. I have never complained on Cruise Critic (member since 2011) about anything prior to this policy change. I am sure it does not affect you, as noted by your various comments, but for people like myself and my family it does. And it is not so much as the policy itself it is the way they went about implementing it. You state "so no matter when NCL announces some will be upset." This is true because you can not please everybody but would they not show that they made some sort of effort in considering the folks who are in the penalty phase and are unable to cancel and have their money refunded?
No I don't work for NCL, do you work for Carnival or another of NCL's competitors? I guess I just understand how business works; they are here to make money (just like every business) and not necessarily cater to each and every customers' wants and desires, as they can't make everyone happy (I wish they would ban smoking all together, but realize that isn't going to happen). As far as the cruise industry is concerned, we all go in with our eyes open with regard to the passenger contract, so if one doesn't like the fact that most things can change at the whim of the cruise line without notice, then maybe another vacation that does not have this type of contract is in order.

I've never said that you or anyone else can't have an issue with the policy change, so feel free to complain. I totally agree with you with regard to implementing it and if you read any of my posts, I did call NCL and tell them that they need to send a press release out to all their customers. As far as NCL considering those that are past the penalty phase, well, that is NCL's call whether they want to consider a refund for them or not and by the past policies they have implemented, I would say there is a very, very slim chance that they would do that.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Would you really say this to someone about their coffee??

Exactly! I don't drink coffee and never been to a Starbucks. I need my morning caffeine just like everyone else. I don't want head aches if I wait to get to port.

Would there be more of a fuss if they stopped allowing wine to be carried on?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've never understood why some people seem to be proud of their lack of brand loyalty.

They brag about not being brand loyal, and they go wherever the mood / opportunity takes them. And then they expect brands to accommodate their desires.

Most brands are pursuing people who WILL be brand loyal. They want to invest in repeat guests, not the transient churn set.

Much better to advocate for the change from the position of somebody likely to utilize this vendor frequently and/or exclusively.

It's just a better negotiating position....

Stephen

I didn't tell anyone that they shouldn't have an issue. In fact I said they are entitled to their preferences and they are entitled to have an issue with it. They are not entitled to have NCL cater specifically to their issues, especially when there are alternatives included in the price of their fare. If that alternative is not acceptable to them, then again that is their issue and not NCL's. NCL cannot possibly please everyone from stockholders to passengers and if they make a decision that impacts a few and not the majority to increase revenues or increase security or whatever then more power to them. I hope I am never in that few. Some day I may be. Then I will have to consider that fact when making my cruising decisions, because it will be MY issue, not NCL's.

it has nothing to do with ncl's policy or ncl pleasing people. can't people understand.....it's how the change in policy was implemented leaving people who disagreed with the new policy unable to say 'to hell with it, i'll go somewhere else'. and who here has a couple of thousand dollars to just throw away to change after final payment date. get real, ncl should have either grandfathered every single person past final payment or allowed a full refund to those after final payment. anything else is simply asinine.

Carnival never banned water and sodas, what they banned were bottled beverages. You could always still bring on cans. Only water doesn't come in cans, so they at least offered to sell a 12 pack at a reasonable rate.

actually, yes, you can buy canned water as well but it's cheaper on ship and you don't have to lug it on board your favorite carnival ship.

Edited by Computer Nerd

I totally agree. The way some, who have an issue with the policy, were posting, I thought there would be news crews reporting on thousands of folks up in arms, making a fuss, drinking or pouring out all their water or soda to hold up the lines, screaming, yelling, etc., but none of that happened. From the reports coming back, there doesn't really seem to be that big an issue with the policy from the majority.

you do understand most people are there to take a cruise and not end up in jail so making a big fuss over it would not be in their best interest. jail or a cruise, which would you prefer. :rolleyes:

In fact, of the discussions I've had on this cruise with people, people seem to be happy that others aren't bringing on litres of liquor disguised as water. Fewer people getting completely wasted on their litres of smuggled booze can only be a good thing, making it a more pleasant cruising experience.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

that's why carnival went to cans only. of course, that still doesn't stop people from using rum runners so the smuggling problem is far from solved.

NCL seem to have set a trend of pissing off their brand loyal customers (of which I was one). There are several ex-NCL loyalists posting here, who are saddened to see the way that their previously favourite cruise line has changed in the last 18 months or so.

I still monitor this board (and post occasionally), in the vain hope that NCL might change from the course that they have chosen. It is unlikely that I shall sail NCL again (for those who read sig. blocks, I am aware that Regent are part of NCLH but the deal was almost a no-brainer).

I guess NCL have decided that newbies are easier to fleece than savvy long-time cruisers.

Exactly this. NCL doesn't give a hill of beans about brand loyalty.