Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is our top priority. To ensure a safe and enjoyable onboard environment for all, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board the company’s ships either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

To provide our guests with a smoother and faster embarkation experience, we will be implementing this updated policy effective July 15. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

We thank our guests for their understanding, cooperation and compliance with this change. More information on our beverage policy is available on our website at https://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-my-own-water-or-soda-onboard

Given the EU ports security screening is done by the ports and they don't care what liquids are brought on(cases full of booze are fine)

Don't know haw NCL will get them to implement this policy if the other cruises lines have failed with the booze.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is our top priority. To ensure a safe and enjoyable onboard environment for all, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board the company’s ships either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

To provide our guests with a smoother and faster embarkation experience, we will be implementing this updated policy effective July 15. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

We thank our guests for their understanding, cooperation and compliance with this change. More information on our beverage policy is available on our website at https://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-my-own-water-or-soda-onboard

So...in the past when this was allowed our "safety and security" was a lesser priority?

What would be the medical reason to have to bring water on board for a diabetic person?

The amount of water that we drink.....fruit juice is a no-no because sugar hits your blood stream quickly - it's OK sometimes. Usually that's what we grab and chug down if our blood sugars are low and we start to feel "floaty". It has been recommended that we drink 2-3 litres/day and more if the Temps are high. A lot of days I don't get quite that much because I prefer not to be in constant search of a washroom......Diet pop has aspartame and more than one a day will put me into migraine mode ( but that's just me....most are not affected that way). We could cut down on the water consumption, but then it would mean being hyper-vigilant of everything else we ate/drank and the meal times. (Again, not every diabetic is affected that way...some days we are and some days we aren't )

I don't have an issue about paying for water..... just not happy with the price of it. But we do what we have to do.......

So a normally priced bottle of water presents a danger to the safety and security of the ship and its passengers, but when those same bottles are marked up to $40 + 18% gratuity then they are safe?

I wish I could cancel my cruise just because of this stupid posting by NCL.

I dont mind spending money for a trip and certainly you splurge on vacations but out of principle, rightly or wrongly, there are just things I wont do. Like spending $40 plus on a case of water. Even if I didn't spend that $40 somewhere else as a previous poster mentioned. I just can't do it.

I don't know if ill cruise again but I cant imagine it would be with NCL.

Will NCL lower the price of the bottled water to a more reasonable price?

Great question. They want to bring their policies in line with other best travel practices. Why not bring their bottled water pricing in line with other cruise lines?

So, I still don't really get the bottled water thing. I can't imagine any reason to lug a case of water around.

My last sailings, I walked with a lidded coffee mug and a sports water bottle. I'm just curious as to why bringing water is factor. The water on the ship is perfectly safe.

However, I do understand the Coke/Pepsi thing which is why I'd never order a Cuba Libre on an NCL ship :).

Yeah, but you forget that NCL thinks that the price they currently charge IS "reasonable".

Unless, of course, they think a higher price is more reasonable.

In an effort to appease NCL customers who already booked a cruise prior to this announcement today, NCL should supply each cabin booked prior with a case of water.

We are cruising on 7/23 and are extremely disappointed in this announcement made today!

Is that what you ask the airlines, too? Whether you agree or disagree, or believe it or not, playing stupid doesn't suit you.

I think in light of NCL's reasons for this change, it would only make sense for them to reduce the cost of bottled water on board. If they keep it the same, then I will think the words above are a load of crap.

You can bring water on airlines, you have to purchase them of course in high priced gift shops.

I don't bring water ,pop or wine onboard ships, , but I also do not say since it doesn't affect me, oh well.

Edited by janpo

Wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't charge $40 for a 12 pack of water. Holy crap!! I wouldn't cruise NCL without the beverage package included in the price anyway. Was thinking of booking but man they really nickel and dime on this line. The new ships look really nice.

Playing? Doubtful.

I can't be the only laughing so hard it hurts. This thread is going to be my reading entertainment for weeks.

I'm impressed you were able to read this far down on a thread.

I agree, they should either continue to avoid CC as they have for the past couple of years, or they should get on top of things like this and be the first to post the news. Seeing their impersonal, insincere message slipped in at post #126 and completely disconnected from all of the preceding discussion feels like a slap in the face to me. :(

Norwegian Cruise Line, now that you're back, people are going to have comments and questions for you about this change in policy. I'm guessing that we won't hear from you again in this thread, but it would be a nice surprise if you proved me wrong and engaged with your customers here on CC.

Nicely said......

The amount of water that we drink.....fruit juice is a no-no because sugar hits your blood stream quickly - it's OK sometimes. Usually that's what we grab and chug down if our blood sugars are low and we start to feel "floaty". It has been recommended that we drink 2-3 litres/day and more if the Temps are high. A lot of days I don't get quite that much because I prefer not to be in constant search of a washroom......Diet pop has aspartame and more than one a day will put me into migraine mode ( but that's just me....most are not affected that way). We could cut down on the water consumption, but then it would mean being hyper-vigilant of everything else we ate/drank and the meal times. (Again, not every diabetic is affected that way...some days we are and some days we aren't )

I don't have an issue about paying for water..... just not happy with the price of it. But we do what we have to do.......

I could understand if water was not readily available on board (I fill reusable containers at the dispensers in the buffet), but it is, and I also ask for a pitcher of water and iced tea daily to be in my stateroom and keep it in the mini fridge. I'm not diabetic, but like to have water in my cabin. Edited by NLH Arizona

I could understand if water was not readily available on board (I fill reusable containers at the dispensers in the buffet), but it is, and I also ask for a pitcher of water and iced tea daily to be in my stateroom and keep it in the mini fridge. I'm not diabetic, but like to have water in my cabin.

However, I don't think you understand the effect on some people by drinking the ships water.

It is disappointing but it is what it is. I look at it this way, one less 12 pack of water to lug onboard. Too bad they don't include bottled water in their UBP like Princess or Celebrity. Wouldn't make me just ship :)

Wow sad.

We always bring a case of 24 Poland Spring bottles with us on the ship. This policy change it is very inconvenient I love having bottles of water in my cabin.

It's interesting because we just sailed anthem of the seas on the Royal Caribbean line, and we were able to bring our 24 water pack on at the liberty Seaport no problem.

Aren't they just following Carnival? They banned drinks earlier this year or last, although you can bring a 12-pack of soda in your carry-on. No bottles, cans.

I do think people smuggling booze in water bottles is a very small problem, but it's a good way to spin it as a "security" measure and not as "nobody really screamed too much at Carnival, so we're trying it."

Yeah, this is the first time a "policy change" has made me reconsider the cruise line altogether. UNLESS they reduce the cost of water bottles on board to something a little closer to the market rate, I'll be thinking twice about sailing with them again. Tap water on board ship tasted nasty, and carrying on a twelve-pack of bottles in no way reduced the amount of other beverages I purchased on board. I just prefer the taste of spring water for a fraction of the cost!

Deeply disappointing.

Good point Darla250... if you've already booked, you should be grandfathered for this.. :)

In an effort to appease NCL customers who already booked a cruise prior to this announcement today, NCL should supply each cabin booked prior with a case of water.

We are cruising on 7/23 and are extremely disappointed in this announcement made today!

Aren't they just following Carnival? They banned drinks earlier this year or last, although you can bring a 12-pack of soda in your carry-on. No bottles, cans.

I do think people smuggling booze in water bottles is a very small problem, but it's a good way to spin it as a "security" measure and not as "nobody really screamed too much at Carnival, so we're trying it."

Yes, although Carnival also dropped the prices for their on-board bottled water to reasonable levels at the same time. THAT I can totally understand. I would not mind paying, say, 50% more for a case of water than at a grocery store. But NCL's markup is more like 1000% (e.g. I think they want like 40 dollars for a 12 pack.)

Wow, NCL. You come here and blatantly lie to our faces. Did you plan all along to post to us the "safety and security " thing? Why don't you treat us like the loyal and intelligent customers that we are and just tell us that it is for revenue enhancement. That's what you'd tell your shareholders. :mad: